• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ness and Jigglypuff were in the same video, at the part with the stickers. Besides that, I believe that an image of the final roster for Brawl was leaked a couple of months before it was released.

Still, the very fact that even a couple have happened proves it isn't impossible.
In that case yeah, Palutena will most likely be in SSB4. It IS a very high quality pic.

So, along with Pac-Man, who else was in that list of characters in Smash 4? That list seems pretty likely since it included Wii Fit Trainer before her reveal, iirc

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Little Mac and Mii
If Little Mac DOES end up playable I'd main him instantly. Punch Out is one of my favorite games, even if I could never beat the Piston Honda rematch.

As for Mii I dunno. If Mii is just boring and plays like in Find Mii / Streetpass Quest then I guess, if only to see Reggie Fils-Aime vs. Miyamoto Mii matches.

EDIT: This thread is so dead that I'm talking about Smash 4. I'll try not to do this anymore, sorry.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, if Palutena and Little Mac are somehow not in Smash 4, they're probably two of the better picks for PM. That's...on-topic...ish.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Wow. I've been lurking these forums for years... back during the chaos before Brawl even came out. And I've finally taken the time to post. Just want to say thanks to the Project M team for bringing us this great mod and to the Smashboards and their mods for hosting this site. Thank you all very much.

But I am here to cast my "vote" for the other slots possible in Project M. Now if I got this right; I got 5 votes and 2 half votes, yes? I don't care to cast a de-vote or a minus vote or whatever it is exactly called. With that said... my votes:

Votes: (And order matters)
1) Lyn
2) Issac
3) Ridley
4) Sukapon
5) Waluigi

Half-Votes:
1) Dark Samus
2) Pokemon Trainer

Okay. I will be giving those reasons now. Sorry if this is TL;DR for some folks.

Lyn - When she was introduced as a Assist Trophy, my first question was why she wasn't a playable character. She is important to the game she came from and represents the first FE game for US and possibly international fans as well. Now one major thing against her is that she also uses a sword. Well you can do 1001 moves with a sword, so I don't think diversity is a real issue. As for creating her, with all the sword moves we have in game, I don't think she'd be too hard to make either. Plus she's popular and doesn't have a big "hatebase". If she got in, most people won't mind.

Issac - I think he deserves a slot mostly because I think Nintendo will abandon him & his franchise, which is sad because neither Issac nor the Golden Sun franchise ever got it's chance to truly shine. With his Psynergy & Sword skills, he'd have an amazing moveset and great potential. He would also probably need a good amount of work as well though. But he's more deserving then most of my other pics as he is the only one to represent Golden Sun. Which I think deserves a spot.

Ridley - The fact that he is less likely to appear in Smash 4 is a good reason alone for why Ridley made my list. I'm sure TONS of people have made the argument for Ridley better than I can. :) From bare-bone PSA's to use as inspiration to a ton of games to pull movesets from (and voices!) I'm sure that Ridley's inclusion into Project M would be the most applauded of ANY character. Also, he should have a KILLER aerial game. With all the crazy stuff competitive players pull off Ridley (as well as Lyn & Issac) would look excellent pulling off the advanced combos available in Project M. Ridley could be the king of the skies. And he's look helluva good doing it.

Sukapon - Poor little fella. He's so far down low in the list. Mostly because he isn't known anywhere. But I don't know him that well either. But considering he was the main character of Nintendo's FIRST fighter... he should have been on the Smash Bros stage before Megaman, R.O.B. or even Marth! The symbolism is strong in this robot. Plus with his shape and simple design, creating him should be fun at the very least for the designers. He also has everything that Issac has going for him in terms of representing a game without any rep. I think Sukapon should be a shoe in for Project M's "surprise character". Even if he scores low, I hope Project M chooses him and he can show us all what he can do!

Waluigi - Oooh boy. The proverbial "Thwomp" over the bridge. I personally want him in so that when you think of Smash Bros. you can actually have all four Mario Bros. throw down. My bias aside, Waluigi perfectly reps all the Mario Karts, Mario Sports games and the Marip Party games that have no current rep. That counts for something right? There are also some good PSA's out on Waluigi, saving the Backroom some possible time and stress hopefully. That's another reason I vote him. Becuase he can save some time. I know Waluigi gets a bad rap sometimes... but I don't think it's all warranted. Besides, if he's good... people will play him. It is as they say, if you build it...

My half votes:

Dark Samus - If for some reason Ridley can't be done or is too much work, Dark Samus is a great alternative. And I trust Project M to make her fun to play. She can be the middle woman between the Slow and Strong Samus and the Agile yet "Weaker" Zero Suit Samus. Also, when Dark Samus uses Samus' Final Smash... she won't transform into a Dark Zero Suit. :p On top of that... she'd be the easiest character to do out of my choices. Very easy... so to speak. I'm not the one doing the work, now am I? :)

Pokemon Trainer - I truly do like the idea of him out there fighting on his own. Using Repels to mace people, running over people on the Bike, using a Fishing Rod as a grab or something... but that might be too much work. I can see that happening. But if Project M decided to re-invite the Pokemon Trainer to the fight, I'd like him to come back like this. On his own. I mean... maybe use his model and place it over Link? With all the items in the Pokemon Franchise, some of them must be able to match Link's versatile arsenal...

If I could throw in some honorable mentions, it'd be Toad and Tails. They'd be cool to see... but I don't know if I'd want Project M to add them in as characters. They deserve it to some extent... but others more... it's a tough call.

So here's a kudos to anyone who read this whole thing. Here's hoping my vote counts and that at the very least, my top 3 votes make it into Project M. Thanks to all and to all a good fight!

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Wow. I've been lurking these forums for years... back during the chaos before Brawl even came out. And I've finally taken the time to post. Just want to say thanks to the Project M team for bringing us this great mod and to the Smashboards and their mods for hosting this site. Thank you all very much.
Yay, I made my first post in this thread too!
Also FYI, you actually get unlimited half-votes.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Yay, I made my first post in this thread too!
Also FYI, you actually get unlimited half-votes.
*brofist*

And awesome Shaq sig. Also, we do get as many half votes as we want? Well then I'd toss a half vote at Tails, Toad and Saki because either 3 of them getting in would bring a smile to my face. From a competitive standpoint, Saki could be a blend of ranged and melee fighter. I imagine him as agile as Zero Suit Samus but at the same time... with a blaster that is as fast as Fox's that does a bit more damage. I think that playstyle would make him standout. ZSS is agile but mostly up close. And I'm not sure which of her "games" are stronger: Air or Ground, but I'm sure that whichever one she is "weak" at, Saki could be developed to be "strong" at. This way ZSS and Saki would be different from each other.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Krystal - She represents the downfall of the Starfox series. Sure, it would be great to have more female characters, but I would much rather have someone like Paulatina (who I cant believe isn't on this list) who is actually a well designed character.
Woah! Woah! Woah! Woah! Woah!... Woah! Star Fox Adventures was a good game. You're opinion about it is incorrect...

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
It doesn't look like it'd be awfully hard, provided one knows at least a little about model editing(which I don't, I can barely edit textures without supervision).

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I can import models, but it's too tedious and boring.
I tried one time to Import Dark Suit Samus, everything was going great until i had some problems with my stupid computer and since them i gave up on importing, but i may start someday again since i have some WIP files.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Why does it feel like everyone in the PM forums knows programming stuff but me? :urg:
Don't worry, you're not totally alone. All I can do is open up the textures(which are basically just pictures) & replace them with some other texture I find elsewhere. That, or just replace the entire file with one I download. If you want to learn some of this kind of stuff, look up the app called BrawlBox. I recommend v0.68b, other versions tend to crash for me. Also this page is very helpful for learning the ropes.

MLGF

Smash Lord
The most I know is importing music/models and changing text/pictures.
Which isn't hard, you just need to know where things are and then you work from there.

And that's the extent of my hacking skillz.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Don't worry, you're not totally alone. All I can do is open up the textures(which are basically just pictures) & replace them with some other texture I find elsewhere. That, or just replace the entire file with one I download. If you want to learn some of this kind of stuff, look up the app called BrawlBox. I recommend v0.68b, other versions tend to crash for me. Also this page is very helpful for learning the ropes.
Well at least you seem to understand what you're doing, I can't understand anything when dealing with stuff like these, I rely on people's tutorials and follow them step by step.
The most I know is importing music/models and changing text/pictures.
Which isn't hard, you just need to know where things are and then you work from there.

And that's the extent of my hacking skillz.
Of those, I only know how to replace the music with custom brtsm's, and that's about it.

I can only imagine how much hard work it takes to make a character from scratch.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well at least you seem to understand what you're doing, I can't understand anything when dealing with stuff like these, I rely on people's tutorials and follow them step by step.

Of those, I only know how to replace the music with custom brtsm's, and that's about it.

I can only imagine how much hard work it takes to make a character from scratch.
The thing that makes me shudder to try is to use PSA and moveset hacking. Also, I can do music and I'm great with textures and such, but I just can't figure out sawndz or super sawndz.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
That's how I was when I started, but if you keep at it, it becomes easy enough, same as learning, well, almost anything.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
The thing that makes me shudder to try is to use PSA and moveset hacking. Also, I can do music and I'm great with textures and such, but I just can't figure out sawndz or super sawndz.
This. As much as I would love to add some cool effects to some character's attacks, I fear that if I change something like that, I'll wind up seeing Link slapping Mario with his bow when I want to do a side taunt.

MLGF

Smash Lord

Don't worry, I haven't done it in forever myself outside of music and a texture or two.
Something ruins that OCD in you to make you want to change track names and character pictures when those things are murdered by an update.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Don't worry, I haven't done it in forever myself outside of music and a texture or two.
Something ruins that OCD in you to make you want to change track names and character pictures when those things are murdered by an update.
It's pretty quick and easy to change those with the Brawl Managers. There's a Costume Manager, Stage Manager and Song Manager that lets you change all of those things like portraits and song names at once. They're PM compatible, too, just make sure you choose Project M mappings in the settings. You can drag and drop everything where you want it, and it'll handle all the renaming and everything.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Oh god, do I know that feel. Just adding in two characters from the Smash 3 Project to be just how you like forces you to change practically everything's name, & on top of that, you can't preview what each is without opening it in BrawlBox, at which point you have to close it again just to rename it.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
It's pretty quick and easy to change those with the Brawl Managers. There's a Costume Manager, Stage Manager and Song Manager that lets you change all of those things like portraits and song names at once. They're PM compatible, too, just make sure you choose Project M mappings in the settings. You can drag and drop everything where you want it, and it'll handle all the renaming and everything.
I love you.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I can import models, but it's too tedious and boring.
I wish I could import models, haha... no one seems to take my requests on the boards.

------------------------

On a related note, has anyone requested Classic Ganon for the clone engine?

*giggles with joy*

This dude has so much moveset potential it's unbelievable. Plus he's never really made it in a Smash game before. Hopefully the PMBR can change that.

I've got a few ideas to throw out here. He'd be a great Lucario/Zelda clone.

His A moves could consist of trident jabs and such. Maybe his grab could involve throwing his trident and spearing the opponent with it as it floats back to him.

Here are his B-moves.
Up-B - Teleport. Acts in a manner similar to Mewtwo's where it doesn't put you into special fall. Can be aimed in several directions and he can stay invisible longer than Mewtwo.
Down-B - Fire Spin. The attack he does in the ALttP fight where he spins his spear and generates a circle of flames. It grows stronger as the button is held and as it's released, it fires away from him. It doesn't travel far, but unlike his neutral-b, he's not vulnerable to physical contact.
Neutral-B - Energy Bullet. From the NES game. Ganon creates and holds a bullet, and as the button is released he fires it in the direction the control stick is held. It can be charged, but the charge can not be held indefinitely like Lucario's or Mewtwo's. Smaller bullets travel faster.
Side-B - Fire Bat. Another attack from ALttP. He fires a bat forward, which moves forward and creates a path of fire on the ground below. If it's airborne, it descends to the ground, still traveling sideways, but not creating fire.

Down-B could have been a Bowser Bomber move but I think we have enough of those :yoshi::kirby::bowser:. It'd make a great Down Air though :warioc:.

Another idea I had for Neutral-B was that he could create a small bullet, but it stays in it's place (while Ganon can get away) for a second or so until it fires toward the nearest enemy. That, or the same bullet he creates initially can be charged (as it's still away from Ganon,) and fires as it's released, the only difference from the one in the original moveset being is that Ganon can move around as it's being charged (which would be especially useful midair.)
(If you have any questions on this, I'll explain it better for you.)

His entry pose could be him rising from a pentagram in the ground, the same way he's resurrected in the games.

Taunts could include his laugh from Zelda II, Disappearing into a pentagram on the ground, and hitting the ground with the butt of his trident. Maybe one where he does his weird looking... pose... from Zelda 1.

Yeah, that.

Some cool alt. colors (along with standard team colors) could be his NES palette, his silhouette from Zelda II with a G&W outline, a Twilight Princess color design, and a purple palette from Four Swords Adventures. Alt Costumes may include better representations of these, especially the Twilight Princess one.

Maybe Ganon could turn into this after his FS. Maybe that's a stretch though.

This is all very possible with the clone engine too. The projectiles can come from Zelda or Lucario and the Fire Spin can just be added as part of his model. It won't look bad if it's done right.

Man, if we got this AND sword Ganon, we could have a complete LoZ Ganondorf in Project M.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: A few last details on my next post.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I wish I could import models, haha... no one seems to take my requests on the boards.

------------------------

On a related note, has anyone requested Classic Ganon for the clone engine?

*giggles with joy*

This dude has so much moveset potential it's unbelievable. Plus he's never really made it in a Smash game before. Hopefully the PMBR can change that.

I've got a few ideas to throw out here. He'd be a great Lucario/Zelda clone.

His A moves could consist of trident jabs and such. Maybe his grab could involve throwing his trident and spearing the opponent with it as it floats back to him.

Here are his B-moves.
Up-B - Teleport. Acts in a manner similar to Mewtwo's where it doesn't put you into special fall. Can be aimed in several directions and he can stay invisible longer than Mewtwo.
Down-B - Fire Spin. The attack he does in the ALttP fight where he spins his spear and generates a circle of flames. It grows stronger as the button is held and as it's released, it fires away from him. It doesn't travel far, but unlike his neutral-b, he's not vulnerable to physical contact.
Neutral-B - Energy Bullet. From the NES game. Ganon creates and holds a bullet, and as the button is released he fires it in the direction the control stick is held. It can be charged, but the charge can not be held indefinitely like Lucario's or Mewtwo's. Smaller bullets travel faster.
Side-B - Fire Bat. Another attack from ALttP. He fires a bat forward, which moves forward and creates a path of fire on the ground below. If it's airborne, it descends to the ground, still traveling sideways, but not creating fire.

Down-B could have been a Bowser Bomber move but I think we have enough of those :yoshi::kirby::bowser:. It'd make a great Down Air though :warioc:.

Another idea I had for Neutral-B was that he could create a small bullet, but it stays in it's place (while Ganon can get away) for a second or so until it fires toward the nearest enemy. That, or the same bullet he creates initially can be charged (as it's still away from Ganon,) and fires as it's released, the only difference from the one in the original moveset being is that Ganon can move around as it's being charged (which would be especially useful midair.)
(If you have any questions on this, I'll explain it better for you.)

His entry pose could be him rising from a pentagram in the ground, the same way he's resurrected in the games.

Taunts could include his laugh from Zelda II, Disappearing into a pentagram on the ground, and hitting the ground with the butt of his trident. Maybe one where he does his weird looking... pose... from Zelda 1.

Yeah, that.

Some cool alt. colors (along with standard team colors) could be his NES palette, his silhouette from Zelda II with a G&W outline, a Twilight Princess color design, and a purple palette from Four Swords Adventures. Alt Costumes may include better representations of these, especially the Twilight Princess one.

Maybe Ganon could turn into this after his FS. Maybe that's a stretch though.

This is all very possible with the clone engine too. The projectiles can come from Zelda or Lucario and the Fire Spin can just be added as part of his model. It won't look bad if it's done right.

Man, if we got this AND sword Ganon, we could have a complete LoZ Ganondorf in Project M.

Any thoughts?
Honestly, with his build and his trident, I think he could make a great Dedede clone. Convert the waddles into the Fire Bats and Energy Bullets, and a lot of Dedede's hammer swings could easily be Trident attacks, especially the ones where he spins it rapidly. The swings could become slashes, as well. I think this Ganon could work very well as a Clone character.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Another thing I intended to mention in the original post was that the Fire Bats act sort of like PK Fire. He could be a Ness clone, as he has enough projectiles to do the trick.

Another Alt. Costume could be... ugh... I don't want to spoil it. Don't know how to make spoiler tags either. 300-something posts later and I finally find a use for spoiler tags :shyguy:.

Go play A Link Between Worlds and see for yourself.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Another thing I intended to mention in the original post was that the Fire Bats act sort of like PK Fire. He could be a Ness clone, as he has enough projectiles to do the trick.

Another Alt. Costume could be... ugh... I don't want to spoil it. Don't know how to make spoiler tags either. 300-something posts later and I finally find a use for spoiler tags :shyguy:.

Go play A Link Between Worlds and see for yourself.
I know who you're talking about. He'd be a pretty good one. For the record, spoilers are done by [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without the spaces.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I know who you're talking about. He'd be a pretty good one. For the record, spoilers are done by [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without the spaces.
YUGA GANON PLS
There we go.

Also I read your post about the Dedede clone, and while that sounds like a plausible idea, I think it might be easier to change the behavior of a simple projectile rather than an AI controlled Waddle Dee, which from what I understand has no hitbox on it.

I don't know... All I know is that Ganon can work as a character and I half-vote him.

+1/2 Classic Ganon.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Honestly, with his build and his trident, I think he could make a great Dedede clone. Convert the waddles into the Fire Bats and Energy Bullets, and a lot of Dedede's hammer swings could easily be Trident attacks, especially the ones where he spins it rapidly. The swings could become slashes, as well. I think this Ganon could work very well as a Clone character.
What, how is anything of Dedede's a fit for Ganon? Last I checked, you don't handle a trident anything like how Dedede handles his hammer... The only thing they have in common is both being fat and holding a weapon, and that's about it. That said, Dedede is the probably the only close match, but he's far from a "great" clone.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I started on some of Ganon's A-moves, just for the hell of it.

For the record, he should walk to move around, and if he dashes, he'll hover. His second jump is a Ness/Lucas/Yoshi jump, that can be DJC'd.

F-smash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UofFsnbdctU at 0:29. He could slide depending on the charge.
D-smash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UofFsnbdctU at 1:45 except with two short ranged bullets (or explosions for the sake of a good "smash" effect) fired at his sides.
U-smash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UofFsnbdctU at 1:59, firing one bullet directly above him and two besides it. The bullets are short ranged for the sake of being a smash attack.

Jab - Stabs once with his trident. Frequent presses of the button can allow him to spin the trident.
F-tilt - Stabs forward with his trident and slides forward a little bit. Used at the end of A Link Between Worlds.
D-tilt - Quickly flips the trident around once and stabs downward from where he is standing. He doesn't crouch.
U-tilt - Lunges his arm upward in an attempt to claw the enemy. An alternative could involve him merely poking upward with his trident as if he were attacking an enemy behind him on a 2D plane. Similar to Marth's U-smash.
Dash attack - Ganon claws in front of him similar to Mewtwo's F-air. An alternative could involve him using his trident to swat an enemy upward.

N-air - Ike's N-air, except he flips.
B-air - Creates an energy spark behind him with his trident. The trident does minor damage while the spark does massive damage. It's about as fast as C. Falcon's F-air.
U-air - Flips his entire trident over his head 360 degrees, twice. It hits four times, and the fourth hit is killer.
F-air - Throws his trident a small distance. It has a reasonably long start up time.
D-air - Wario's D-air, except it acts more like Bowser Bomber and doesn't stop at opponents.

Grab - Holds the opponent with his the negative space of the end of his trident.
Pummel - Fires a bullet at the held opponent.
F-throw - Flips the trident 360 degrees and throws the opponent forward.
B-throw - Throws the opponent backwards with his trident.
U-throw - Tosses the opponent toward him where he uppercuts the opponent with fire.
D-throw - Brings the opponent in, stabs the trident into the ground with the opponent still on it and creates an explosion effect.

I think that's all his A moves.

I kinda rushed, but I hope this whole character concept turns a few voters' heads.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
1 Vote

Dark Samus
- Samus can't be the only metroid rep, and a new take on Samus past the ice beam might be really cool. Also, phazon particles would be really interesting to look at with wii capabilities. Maybe they could use Lucario's Aura particles? Ridley would be cool, but the scale is really too large. I can't imagine a small Ridley, the stuff in the video just doesn't look right, especially when I am huge Metroid fan, and Ridley has always been that huge domineering villain, not a small gangley lizard dragon.

Waluigi - Even if Mario's series has been heavily represented, if Mario gets to fight his foil character, shouldn't Luigi be able to fight his? Plus he does appear in brawl and it looks like there's already some work from other people outside of PMBR working on him.

Isaac - Golden Sun is one of those RPG's that a lot of people actually don't know about, and having a character from this great series fighting alongside these "mainstream" characters would look nice. Plus he could have a Psynergy mechanic like Lucario's Aura, and his FS could be Djinn related. Who knows?

Primid - This is probably done somewhere in the modding community, but I think being able to play as the Primid from SSE would be interesting. I mean there's plenty of animations and attacks already in the game, why not use them to their full potential?

Among all of these though Dark Samus and Primid are probably the most realistic, but those are my votes.

Honestly, any new character would be an amazing addition to this already amazing game.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
What, how is anything of Dedede's a fit for Ganon? Last I checked, you don't handle a trident anything like how Dedede handles his hammer... The only thing they have in common is both being fat and holding a weapon, and that's about it. That said, Dedede is the probably the only close match, but he's far from a "great" clone.
Who said that clones have to have similar animations and body structure? You're right that Dedede isn't exactly a "great" clone but for all the wrong reasons.

Dedede's bone count/structure in Brawlbox is not what Ganon can use. Ganon needs fingers, which Dedede doesn't have.

Ness would be the best base for Ganon. Ness has a bat that can be turned to a trident, PK Fire which can become his fire bats/keese, PK Flash which can become his Neutral B, PSI Magnet which can become his Flame Spin, a hovering double jump, and all sorts of magic effects that can easily be copied over.

Ness is the ideal Ganon base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom