• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I misread the primer on Lyn.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. I'd put each of their chances of making it into the game at .5% each, but to me that's too high to risk.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
My votes

-1 Knuckles
-1 Shadow
-1 Tails

Not a good way to get on Nintendo's good side. Sega's good side, maybe.

-1 Tom Nook

Most Brawl players need to buy Smash 4 to play an Animal Crossing rep. Providing an alternative to that is bad

-1 Bowser Jr
-1 Paper Mario
-1 K Rool
-1 Dixie Kong
-1 Tetra

These characters are too likely to appear in Smash 4, IMO.

I also oppose anyone whose clonability is too low to be easy for the team, but I won't issue downvotes for that.

+1 Sami
+1 Black Shadow/Ganon Declone
+1 Isaac
I wouldn't use your explanation as "too likely to appear in Smash 4" because that's a physical limitation that will resolve with time or by executive decision. I prefer you to vote based on your own opinion.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
+1 to
Black Shadow and Ganondorf.
If any series deserves another rep, it's F-Zero.
+1 to
Ridley
If any series deserves another rep, it's Metroid.
+1 to
Sami
If any series should have a rep that's not Andy, it's Advanced Wars.
+1 to
Lyn
If any new sword style should be represented in Smash, it should be Iaijutsu. Dat Manly moveset doe.
+1 to
King K. Rool
As you can see, I like villains that are important to the series.

+0.5 to
Hector Hardmode
Toad
Dark Samus
Samurai Goroh
WAAAAAluigi
Isaac

-1 to
Skull Kid
I do not want this overrated character from this saturated series. The mere fact that he is not in Sonic Tier offends me. This character is far more in this corner pocket than the others. Yes, I have played Majora's Mask, and I love it.
-1 to
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
and Masked Man/Claus
I do not want these overrated character from these saturated series. The mere fact that Bowser Jr. and Claus are ranked so high offends me, I'm more tolerant of Paper Mario, however. Yes, I have played Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario TTYD, and I loved them. I have not had the great fortune to play Mother though :(
-1 to
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Get that doo doo out of here with the 3rd party and the Sonic and the Smash Brothers. Do not want please do not want.
-1 to
Krystal
I don't care about moveset potential here, which is the rarest thing for me, seeing my enthusiasm for Anna and many fighters who I think would be more unique gameplay wise. My hatred for her part in the Starfox series, which is already overly saturated in my opinion, is far greater. Good thing she's already in E tier.
-1 to
Dixie Kong
The fact that she's considered anywhere near the deservingness of King K. Rool offends my sensibilities. Get that doo doo out of here.

Can I just say -1 to everyone who's not my + choices as I do not feel they are as deserving or cool or unique or a combination of those? I don't want the PMBR wasting effort on those half-rates. :p Otherwise, that'll be it. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, yeah, I feel like I should point out the reason I use such aggressive language. My true opinion is often aggressive, but I usually suppress it. I have here an invitation to let loose and still have my claims be considered legitimate for the -1 votes:
I prefer you to vote based on your own opinion.

Last edited:

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to play as Waluigi but he's crazy unpopular here and I think I'd kinda rather see him made by Sakurai, see what he would do with him if he were added to a smash bros. Though I doubt either will be happening any time soon.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
+1 to
+1 to
Ridley
+1 to
Sami
+1 to
Lyn
If any new sword style should be represented in Smash, it should be Iaijutsu. Dat Manly moveset doe.
If any post deserves post of the year, it's this post.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
This thread's been really, REALLY dead as far as new characters are concerned, so I figured, what the hell, I'll finally make my fifth full vote. I'll update my votes myself, Anti Guy:

FULL

Ridley
Toad
Ganondorf / Black Shadow
Sukapon
Ninten*

HALF

Waluigi
Kamek
Dixie
K. Rool
Ashley
Jimmy T.
Skull Kid
Pichu
Masked Man
Samurai Goroh
Isaac
Ray MK whichever

*upgraded from half vote because man, I'm a Mother fan. I don't care how dumb it'd be to have someone else that looks like Ness, I just really feel that it'd be awesome if all three Mother protagonists were finally together. Just ME, of course (and maybe Shin F.)

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
+1 to
+1 to
Ridley
+1 to
Sami
+1 to
Lyn
+1 to
King K. Rool
As you can see, I like villains that are important to the series.

+0.5 to
Hector Hardmode
Toad
Dark Samus
Samurai Goroh
WAAAAAluigi
Isaac

-1 to
Skull Kid
I do not want this overrated character from this saturated series. The mere fact that he is not in Sonic Tier offends me. This character is far more in this corner pocket than the others. Yes, I have played Majora's Mask, and I love it.
-1 to
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
and Masked Man/Claus
I do not want these overrated character from these saturated series. The mere fact that Bowser Jr. and Claus are ranked so high offends me, I'm more tolerant of Paper Mario, however. Yes, I have played Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario TTYD, and I loved them. I have not had the great fortune to play Mother though :(
-1 to
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Get that doo doo out of here with the 3rd party and the Sonic and the Smash Brothers. Do not want please do not want.
-1 to
Krystal
I don't care about moveset potential here, which is the rarest thing for me, seeing my enthusiasm for Anna and many fighters who I think would be more unique gameplay wise. My hatred for her part in the Starfox series, which is already overly saturated in my opinion, is far greater. Good thing she's already in E tier.
-1 to
Dixie Kong
The fact that she's considered anywhere near the deservingness of King K. Rool offends my sensibilities. Get that doo doo out of here.

Can I just say -1 to everyone who's not my + choices as I do not feel they are as deserving or cool or unique or a combination of those? I don't want the PMBR wasting effort on those half-rates. :p Otherwise, that'll be it. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, yeah, I feel like I should point out the reason I use such aggressive language. My true opinion is often aggressive, but I usually suppress it. I have here an invitation to let loose and still have my claims be considered legitimate for the -1 votes:
If I could be inclined to let loose and use offensive language:

This post gave me cancer

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
"Get that doo doo out of here!"

Hopefully an announcement will spruce up some sort of discussion soon.

I'm all out of moveset ideas.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Lets have a character that wins by killing himself. All of his moves are designed to suicide or set up a suicide. jk
But that character would be hard to balance without being entirely broken.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
So just out of curiosity, would this be considered "appearing somewhere in Brawl"? *smirk*
Wasn't this actually put in by the PMBR around the 2.5 - 2.6 update for the Castlevania stage? I don't remember it being there when I was editing the common5 in 2.1

As usual I was impressed by their work, I suck at making custom MenSelchrMark icons but I don't believe it was actually in vBrawl.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
At least I know it's bait.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
It has probably been brought up before, but I'm wondering: wouldn't Vaati (from the Legend of Zelda) be a good contender?

I know he would require a lot of work, and I'm aware that that's a hurdle (of course), but his moveset potential is quite large and he's a main villain. Has his popularity (for being a playable character in Project M) been gauged?
Put in terms of the OP I'd say Vaati is:
Value: B (Maybe even 'A' because of him being a main villain and because of his moveset potential makes him able to 'bring a lot to the table')
Effort: C

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It has probably been brought up before, but I'm wondering: wouldn't Vaati (from the Legend of Zelda) be a good contender?

I know he would require a lot of work, and I'm aware that that's a hurdle (of course), but his moveset potential is quite large. Has his popularity been gauged?
Put in terms of the OP I'd say Vaati is:
Value: B (Maybe even 'A' because of him being a main villain and because of his moveset potential makes him able to 'bring a lot to the table')
Effort: C
Unfortunately Vaati does not appear in Brawl in any form whatsoever. Otherwise I'm more than certain he'd be at the top of the poll.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I was actually under the impression that people around here weren't Vaati fans and that was why he wasn't in. Although I'm not really all that fond of him myself as a Zelda fan.

Technically so was turbo mode.
Yes but people actually want turbo.

(/stealth pichu diss, not actually trying to start a war.)

(//I don't even hate pichu.)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I was actually under the impression that people around here weren't Vaati fans and that was why he wasn't in. Although I'm not really all that fond of him myself as a Zelda fan.
Vaati Minish cap version would be cool.

All the other ones can pls go.

Yes but people actually want turbo.

(/stealth pichu diss, not actually trying to start a war.)

(//I don't even hate pichu.)

What did I say about throwing that word around here?

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
I have a suggestion for a new character. It has roots in both NES and N64, and I think it would be a cool addition to the roster.

Excitebike Rider!
His entire moveset would be very stylish, with tricks being the basis of his attacks. An idea is giving him small bounces when connecting air-attacks, for more air-time and more tricks (attacks). A very unique playstyle.
Excitebikes aireals could be various tricks from real life motocross-riders, like "superman" (bair) "Heart Attack" (uair) "nac nac" (fair).
His smash attacks could be like a standing spin (d-smash) and other spin out moves.
Specials could be "Rev up" (neutral b) where that would work similiar to Sonics D-b or Ikes quickdraw.
Side b could be as vanilla Warios back-wheel driving when on his bike. UP-B, "Superman", for grabbing ledges obviously.

If I were to rank him in this threads value system it wold look like this.
VALUE: A, a NES classic, many of us have played the original game in our youth, and it is also remastered in 3D on the 3DS.
EFFORT: C Would have to be made from scratch.

Pros: Very unique, Who would have thought of a bike rider to fight in a fighting game using his bike as a weapon?
Trick-based attacks, maybe giving him a small bounce when connecting aireals for continued airtime (for more tricks i.e attacks.)
An entirely unrepresented series in Smash, but stills exists in game as an assists trophy.
Cons: Would require a lot of work
Not that recognizable by new fans.

What do you guys think? :)

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Would it be possible to have the character stay on the bike the entire time? I know there's Wario's bike that could be reskinned, but I'm not sure if it could be used longer than the duration of the move.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I have a suggestion for a new character. It has roots in both NES and N64, and I think it would be a cool addition to the roster.

Excitebike Rider!
His entire moveset would be very stylish, with tricks being the basis of his attacks. An idea is giving him small bounces when connecting air-attacks, for more air-time and more tricks (attacks). A very unique playstyle.
Excitebikes aireals could be various tricks from real life motocross-riders, like "superman" (bair) "Heart Attack" (uair) "nac nac" (fair).
His smash attacks could be like a standing spin (d-smash) and other spin out moves.
Specials could be "Rev up" (neutral b) where that would work similiar to Sonics D-b or Ikes quickdraw.
Side b could be as vanilla Warios back-wheel driving when on his bike. UP-B, "Superman", for grabbing ledges obviously.

If I were to rank him in this threads value system it wold look like this.
VALUE: A, a NES classic, many of us have played the original game in our youth, and it is also remastered in 3D on the 3DS.
EFFORT: C Would have to be made from scratch.

Pros: Very unique, Who would have thought of a bike rider to fight in a fighting game using his bike as a weapon?
Trick-based attacks, maybe giving him a small bounce when connecting aireals for continued airtime (for more tricks i.e attacks.)
An entirely unrepresented series in Smash, but stills exists in game as an assists trophy.
Cons: Would require a lot of work
Not that recognizable by new fans.

What do you guys think? :)
Vroom vroom
That would a rather odd type of fighter, in the context of Smash.
I'd rather leave him, but vroom vroom

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Way better idea. Instead of having Claus/Masked man, the mother clone should be Flint. He appears as a sticker in Brawl, and he would be way more original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom