• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I'm OK with a Snake clone.
For some reason, I can see how having some of Brawl Snake's tools.

Dat U-Tilt seems perfect on her.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is it bad that I want Sami to be playable just on the basis of how professional that model looks?

And what would she be, a Snake clone?
Yeah.

Sami, Isaac, Lyn, and Skull Kid are all good choices. Its a shame we won't get Ridley though.

However, I would like to think that after Ridley is de-confirmed for Smash 4, there will be a huge outcry to have him included in Project M, of which I could easily see work being made done on Ridley as a separate patch to replace Ridley with one of the Project M newcomer (Knuckles is my vote for who Ridley should go over).

This isn't over yet.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
This leak shows Ridley won't be playable in Project M. And for Smash 4, Sakurai has been hinting strongly that Ridley is a stage hazard.

Like I said, the third certainty of life.
No he didn't. People just read into everything he says far too much. "Up until now" being a prime example. The truth is we have absolutely no idea what Sakurai has in store for Ridley.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No he didn't. People just read into everything he says far too much. "Up until now" being a prime example. The truth is we have absolutely no idea what Sakurai has in store for Ridley.
"Up until now" was a screwy translation.

As it stands, the Japanese text about the Pyrosphere is more forthcoming about the Pyrosphere having a Ridley stage hazard than the Western one does.

I have supported Ridley longer for Smash Bros. than some people on this forum have been alive. If anyone is a supporter of a playable Ridley its me. Its far more pragmatic to see the writing on the wall, and begin planning ahead.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
you know i probobly would still have some doubt on the leak but warchamp did link to the former pmbr memebers porfolio...which is brawl models and really decent art notice how sami is the only one you cant download
http://www.vaanrose.com/portfolio-sami.html

to reiderate warchamp confirmed this as real by trying to say its fake

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
It's safe to say pretty much everyone that was leaked is definitely going to be in, with the exception being Knuckles. Sami already has a great model and had any posts about her immediately deleted, Skullkid had moveset speculation in the googledoc, and Lyn and Isaac are the most wanted. I really can't understand the rationale behind including Knuckles though... Hopefully he gets reconsidered and we get Ridley instead.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's safe to say pretty much everyone that was leaked is definitely going to be in, with the exception being Knuckles. Sami already has a great model and had any posts about her immediately deleted, Skullkid had moveset speculation in the googledoc, and Lyn and Isaac are the most wanted. I really can't understand the rationale behind including Knuckles though... Hopefully he gets reconsidered and we get Ridley instead.
Yeah, all four except Knuckles are pretty solid. I knew a lot of people would warm up to Sami once things were explained about her.

Really, I think if Ridley was de-confirmed early on for Smash 4 (like with Skull Kid), Ridley would be among those five. I still think that if Sakurai comes out with Stage Hazardley, we might still see Ridley in Project M, though he probably would not make it for 4.0

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'd want Dark Samus instead of Knuckles or Lyn.
I have faith that Ridley will be in Sm4sh.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Yeah, all four except Knuckles are pretty solid. I knew a lot of people would warm up to Sami once things were explained about her.

Really, I think if Ridley was de-confirmed early on for Smash 4 (like with Skull Kid), Ridley would be among those five. I still think that if Sakurai comes out with Stage Hazardley, we might still see Ridley in Project M, though he probably would not make it for 4.0
Yeah, you're probably right.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Can you elaborate on this?
sure

warchamp tried to say sami isnt real by say "oh thats just vanroses model he left the team a while ago" and then he link to the portfolio i linked now the reason this confirms it as real is the portfolio itself when has other brawl models you can download ecept sami who has a project m reveal poster but no download

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I pray to god that Sami isn't a snake clone. We don't need another snake clone. She could be so interesting using a "summon" system similar to Jill valentine in MvC2, spawning tanks, airships, and infantry for stage control (not too different from more effective waddledees). Honestly, that would be WAY more interesting than another snake.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I pray to god that Sami isn't a snake clone. We don't need another snake clone. .
Another? Snake has one of the most distinctive movesets in Brawl, and a lot of people supported the idea of another derivative of Snake's moveset being made.

Advance Wars is also one of the most long-running and popular Nintendo franchises at this point lacking a playable character in Smash Bros.

MLGF

Smash Lord
A faster, but weaker version of Snake sounds great and that's only a small portion of Snake.

What's really going to be interesting are her other moves. I can't wait to see how her stage control differs :), perhaps she'll get some of Snake's Brawl moves, perhaps she won't have mines? I don't think the PMBR should care that their clones/potential candidates were leaked, how they work is going to be the good part.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Laying mines onto the field that have a controlled detonation, not proximity? Maximum of three?

Shooting a sticky grenade projectile with Side-B that sticks to you, but is blockable unlike Snake's C4?

A TURRET?!

#ishype

UltimateWario

Smash Master
This leak shows Ridley won't be playable in Project M. And for Smash 4, Sakurai has been hinting strongly that Ridley is a stage hazard..
No he hasn't. Neither the Japanese nor the English stage quote mentions Ridley by name, nor the fact that he may or may not be a stage hazard, unlike Viridi, who has been mentioned by name and title as well as shown in full being a stage hazard. Sakurai's post was likely referring to the fact that the Pyrosphere is where you fought Ridley in Other M. If we're talking about references to other characters in stages, then Sakurai referring to the Palutena statue in the Kid Icarus stage means that she isn't playable, either.

Sakurai knows how big (lol) Ridley is in the West, he's not going to just say "oh lol he's a stage hazard, now here you go Japan, have all of your favorite characters". The man seemed surprised when his playability was brought up in that Brawl interview; he likely didn't see him as a possibility before that point because he didn't know that people wanted him. Since Brawl, Ridley's popularity for Smash eligibility has exploded. He's perhaps the most-requested character in the West.

Laying mines onto the field that have a controlled detonation, not proximity? Maximum of three?

Shooting a sticky grenade projectile with Side-B that sticks to you, but is blockable unlike Snake's C4?

A TURRET?!

#ishype
inb4 just being lighter with a different jab

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Hoo boy, haven't been here in a while, but I had to drop by to see what people thought of the leak. Hoping it's true, personally; I really want Skull Kid!

What I'm really worried about, though, is that now that this has been leaked, they might change their plans. I don't think they would do that, but I worry.

My thoughts:
Sami: A different take on a Snake playstyle would be interesting, and her series is most likely not gonna show up in Smash 4, sadly, so go for it!
Isaac: Duh. He should have been in Brawl; I'd love to see him here.
Lyn: Eh. Personally I don't care either way, but I know lots of people like her, so she's probably a decent choice.
Knuckles: If we were to get a Sonic character, I'd definitely want him. As it stands, I'm meh on more Sonic characters, but I won't complain.
Skull Kid: Hell yes! Very much want.

But where's Ridley? :c

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Oh before people think that Sami is the only one on that list I care about

LYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYN
INSTA-MAIN

ISAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC HELLZ YEAH IMMA BET MONEY DIS IS AN IKE CLONE INSTA MAIN AWWWW YISSSSS

Carry on.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Interesting...
This isn't my info and I don't have any thoughts on it, but it's a good summarization on this either extensive troll, or leak.
Saw this on Smashboard and other places, so here's the full dealie: Leak is legit.

A bunch of pics and links to google docs (which have since been taken down) were posted on 4chan earlier, potentially confirming the following characters:

Knuckles
Sami
Lyn
Skull Kid
Isaac

http://i.imgur.com/1YavlmG.gif
http://i.imgur.com/xISZxHk.png
http://i.imgur.com/e5OzxvE.png
http://i.imgur.com/5D5lEO3.png

Mods on Smashboards were also instadeleting any posts about characters other than Sami, even in "new character speculation" threads, which I'd say is pretty good proof that this leak is real.

welp, I think it's officially confirmed to be real. Supposed PMBR members are posting in the 4chan thread (again, it's 4chan, so anyone could be posing as them, so take it with a grain of salt). However, the leaker, "DemonBoy", has posted more leaked things:

Samus has a new alt costume, the Light Suit. Here's her cannon's animation from her final smash:

http://i.imgur.com/IBX6m9W.gif
New Zero Suit Samus alt costume:

http://i.imgur.com/KYsvylt.jpg

New Lucario alt costume:

http://i.imgur.com/cHWO7HK.jpg

Pastebin of the posts:

http://pastebin.com/Gne6rrzM

Admin confirms to be this is all true. The user leaking all this was recently let into the backroom.

Though he hasn't confirmed whether these characters are set in stone. More like they're part of a pool of potential considerations. The user leaking didn't snatch quite everything before getting the boot thanks to this.

Either that's to cover up some of this, or it's true. Who knows.

EDIT: Alright, all five are confirmed to be works in progress.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Since Brawl, Ridley's popularity for Smash eligibility has exploded. He's perhaps the most-requested character in the West.
No, it hasn't. I have been with the Smash Bros. community since pre-Melee times. Ridley's popularity has remained constant since the release of Brawl. What has happened since Brawl's release though is that basically nearly every other character that people cared about was added in (the most recent one being Mega Man), while several others people basically dropped (see Geno and Krystal). The only other two highly requested true newcomers this time around are Little Mac and K. Rool.

Ridley though has become quite infamous though simply due to how long he has been so highly requested. If Sakurai does de-confirm Ridley, I definitely see the fans taking the matter of a playable Ridley into their own hands, even if the Project M team doesn't want to (though I do see a lot of the Project M team members helping contribute after their work on Project M ends).

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I just hope they make her a summon style character because i want something different. Not someone who puts more traps on the stage...thats played out. It also has NO relevance to her games. Whereas if she summoned infantry, airship, and tanks (like her assist trophies graphical style), then it would actually reference the production foundation of her game.

Also, what is distinctive about snake's brawl moveset that his current iteration doesn't already improve on!?

A rocket launcher fsmash? Sure, that would be cool. But besides that, do people really want more mines and grenades? She doesn't even use those things in her game. Nikita might fit at home, but thats about it. She should spawn fighters that act on screen. That would be the greatest callback to advanced wars.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Interesting...
This isn't my info and I don't have any thoughts on it, but it's a good summarization on this either extensive troll, or leak.
Nice save. I saw that before the thread was deleted, glad someone saved it.

Shin F.

Smash Master
ISAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC HELLZ YEAH IMMA BET MONEY DIS IS AN IKE CLONE INSTA MAIN AWWWW YISSSSS
I've actually got a pretty awesome Isaac that's a Pit Clone in my BrawlEx build. He works pretty well, even if it is pretty unpolished.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Yeah.

Sami, Isaac, Lyn, and Skull Kid are all good choices. Its a shame we won't get Ridley though.

However, I would like to think that after Ridley is de-confirmed for Smash 4, there will be a huge outcry to have him included in Project M, of which I could easily see work being made done on Ridley as a separate patch to replace Ridley with one of the Project M newcomer (Knuckles is my vote for who Ridley should go over).

This isn't over yet.
That's what I'm hoping for thinking as well. The PM devs have no choice but to play it safe; start working on a Ridley/K. Rool now, and they're confirmed for SSB4? Down the drain they go. It's pretty bad when a part of me kinda doesn't want them in SSB4 just to show up in PM :p

In any case, with that list, very surprised that there isn't another Metroid rep considered. With all the effort being put into Samus, thought maybe Dark Samus would've had a shot. She has only a handful of voice clips & plenty of unique moveset potential. But if projectiles cannot be added to the game, I guess that's what's holding her back.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That's what I'm hoping for thinking as well. The PM devs have no choice but to play it safe; start working on a Ridley/K. Rool now, and they're confirmed for SSB4? Down the drain they go. It's pretty bad when a part of me kinda doesn't want them in SSB4 just to show up in PM :p.
I think Skull Kid's de-confirmation for Smash 4 is what made him get into Project M. I imagine that fear of showing up for Smash 4 is the reason why we don't have any DK newcomer on the list as well (especially Dixie). Sami, Lyn, and Knuckles have pretty much no shot at getting into Smash 4, so they are pretty safe, Skull Kid was outright de-confirmed.

Isaac does have some chance in making it into the actual Smash 4, but he has some pretty big obstacles in his way.

Honestly, I was always pessimistic about Ridley making it into Project M, though I do feel optimistic about Ridley eventually making it it (Project R anyone?) after Sakurai de-confirms him for Smash 4.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Welp time to lock thread.

GG everyone, it's been a good 217 pages, except it hasn't because I think we've been discussing in circles for an aeon now and it can finally stop.

MLGF it was good (not really) knowing you, hope the death the PMBR visits upon you is swift and painless.

See you all when P:M 4.0 comes out

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Wow. Leaks of a mod, okay this is kind of ridiculous.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I just hope they make her a summon style character because i want something different. Not someone who puts more traps on the stage...thats played out. It also has NO relevance to her games. Whereas if she summoned infantry, airship, and tanks (like her assist trophies graphical style), then it would actually reference the production foundation of her game.

Also, what is distinctive about snake's brawl moveset that his current iteration doesn't already improve on!?

A rocket launcher fsmash? Sure, that would be cool. But besides that, do people really want more mines and grenades? She doesn't even use those things in her game. Nikita might fit at home, but thats about it. She should spawn fighters that act on screen. That would be the greatest callback to advanced wars.
A summoning playstyle wouldn't exactly be a good callback to Advance Wars... since when do the COs summon tanks that don't even go up to their ankles? Pretty sure that's not how the battles are fought, so it wouldn't have "relevance to her games". If we wanted her to play like she does in AW, then something like Pokemon Trainer would be more fitting. Seeing as Sami never does any fighting herself, she just commands her soldiers.

Having a character like Sami in Smash is an imagining of how they would act in close combat against other combatants, not a mirror of how their games play. See Captain Falcon and the Star Fox characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom