• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey everyone, recently I took the liberty of looking through Brawl's files to see who woulkd actually be viable for PM as a clone engine character.

This list is based off of if the character has a trophy, sticker, or is mentioned with in brawl.
I also took the liberty of mostly only including characters I personally thought were viable so some stuff is not on the list due to them being either way too obscure, not wanted, or are just not important enough.

Takamaru-Nazo no murasame Jo

Isaac-Golden Sun

Sami-Advanced Wars

Skull Kid-Zelda Majora's Mask

Knuckles-Sonic the hedgehog 3

Lyn-Fire emblem 7

Saki-Sin and Punishment

Medusa-Kid Icarus (Design based on Uprising)

Chibi-Robo-Chibi-Robo!

Ray01-Custom Robo

Agent J (With other agents as back up in certain moves)-Elite Beat Agents

Hector-Fire Emblem 7

Lip-Pandel de pon

Sukapon-Joy Mech Fight

Palutena-Kid Icarus

K.K. Slider-Animal Crossing

Pichu-Pokemon Gold and Silver

Mokka-Magical Starsign

Kyle Hyde-Hotel Dusk:Room 215

Ashely Robbins-Trace Memory

Raiden-Metal Gear Solid 2

Dark Samus-Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

Black Knight-Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Porkey/Pokey-Earthbound

Masked man-Mother 3

Samurai Goroh-F-Zero

Black Shadow-F-Zero X

Red-Pokemon Red and Blue

Deoxys-Pokemon Ruby and Saphire

Blaziken-Pokemon Ruby and Saphire

Krystal-Star Fox Adventures

Slippy Toad-Star Fox

Waddle Dee-Kirby's Adventure

All of the Bounty Hunters-Metroid Prime hunters

Ridley-Metroid

Plusle and Minun-Pokemon Ruby and Saphire

Tingle-Zelda Majora's Mask

Wolf Link and Midna-Zelda Twlight Princess

Toon Zelda and Tetra-Zelda Wind waker

Toon Ganodorf-Zelda Winf waker

King K rool-Donkey Kong Country

Cranky Kong-Donkey Kong

Dixie Kong-Donkey Kong Country 2

Paper Mario-Paper Mario

Bowser Jr-Super Mario Sunshine

Petey Piranha-Super Mario Sunshine

Toad-Super mario bros 2

Waluigi-Mario Tennis

Andy-Advanced Wars

Ashely-Warioware

Boy or Girl player character-Magical Starsign

Dr.Lobe-Brain age

Eliwood-Fire Emblem 7

Erika-Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones

Ephraim-Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones

Excitebiker-Excite Bike

Grey Fox-Metal Gear solid

Tails-Sonic the hedgehog 2

Shadow-Sonic Adventure 2

Eggman-Sonic the hedgehog

Mach Rider-Mach Rider

Max-Advanced wars

Micaiah-Fire Embelem Raidant Dawn

Ricky Winterborn-1080 Avalanche

Sabure Prince-For the Bells the Frog Tolls

Shiida-Fire emblem the Shadow Dragon

Stafy-Densetsu no Starfy

Tamagon and Devil-Devil World

Tom nook-Animal Crossing

Young Cricket-Wario ware Smooth moves

Kamek-Yoshi's Story

Ninten-Mother 1/Earthboud Zero

Ryota Hayami-Wave Race BS

Donbe and Hikari-Shin onigashima

Jody Summer-F-Zero

Ashnard-Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Sothe-Fire emblem path of radiance and radiant dawn

Jill-Drill Dozer

Barbara-Daigasso! Band brothers

Louie-Pikmin 2

Darkrai-Pokemon

There are a couple of characters missing (like Balloon Fighter), but overall it's a pretty good list with a lot of characters that haven't been discussed.

I heard they are planning a sequel to 06. And no I kid you not.
........ What?

Last edited:

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Did you include Melee Trophies and past playable characters because those are options too. Also, when you're making a list of what characters are legitimate options you shouldn't shorten the list to your own personal preferences no matter how obscure the character may be.

Fix'd
When I say my personal preference, I'm talking from a viability stand point. Even though a Goomba maybe technically "Viable" who exactly would want a playable Goomba? As far as I know regarding melee, They are not technically viable due to not appearing in Brawl's copywrite so I did not include anything exclusively found in melee. As far as I'm concerned however, most of melee trophy characters appeared in one way or another as a sticker or trophy in brawl, sans things like professor Oak or Doshin the Giant.

As far as if I were making a list of characters I think would be good it would be a helluve a lot shorter, so take that what you will, I'm just attempting to compile an easy list of good characters to pick from when people go "I Want PM to do this character, but have no idea if it's in brawl or not."

As for characters I missed, please, I emplore you, and the rest of this thread to add on to it any ways you all see fit

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
........ What?
Yeah, dead serious. My friend dropped me some info on Skype last night. Can't say it is reliable, but it does say that Sega based the idea from recent polls about what game should receive a sequel. Sounds rather bogus, but brace yourself...Sega has been known to do crazy things like this before.

Edit: Found the article. http://www.p4rgaming.com/sonic-team-admits-possibility-of-sonic-2006-sequel/

It is obvious some of this sounds like total BS, but some bits make sense. Especially not knowing what direction to take the modern series next. This was apparent when they allowed BigRedButton to develop the Sonic Boom game rather than Sonic Team or Dimps. It appears they are giving Sonic Team a break to recuperate from cranking out so many Sonic games. This would mean Boom's development is taking place to fill in the gaps when a Sonic Team game is not released, so one can assume Sonic Team will do the same when BigRedButton begins development on the next Sonic Boom game (as they did express interest in a sequel to the game already).

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Prepare Yourselves...

Also.. What about Gardevoir for clone engine?

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
The Waluigi's good, but still not a huge~ fan of the character. But I do like the idea of the PMBR getting people on board who've made solid PSAs and simply tweaking them to save time, if they haven't done something like that already.

Hey! Don't go saying bad things about the Condor behind his back, he's actually a nice guy. Transporting and dropping off the Ice Climbers into the matches, how else do you think they travel?

Is that the newest clone of Solid Snake? What has science done!
10 times uglier means 10 times fiecer my friend... We needed a better snake, and his genes fit perfectly on waluigis long legs...

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Prepare Yourselves...

Also.. What about Gardevoir for clone engine?
A lot of people are against the idea of another Pokemon character, but I think it's a fantastic idea to have another. There is so much moveset potential and pretty much any character you pick can fit right in with the cast.

I'm not really a fan of Gardevoir, but I think she'd be a good pick if we got another.

EDIT: Yeah and everyone's next Pokemon pick seems to be Pichu, bcuz melee.

I'd be fine with almost any PKMN rep though.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
But Gold the Hedgehog was in Sonic and the Black Knight meaning they would have to make the storybook series canon to make it work.
1)

2) They already did that by confirming Sonic and the Secret Rings to be canon because of one stupid line from Sonic Generations.

3) Debunked. Play4Real is a parody site of some sort. So thank God. R.I.P. Sonic the Hedgehog 2015 (and stay there please).

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
1)

2) They already did that by confirming Sonic and the Secret Rings to be canon because of one stupid line from Sonic Generations.

3) Debunked. Play4Real is a parody site of some sort. So thank God. R.I.P. Sonic the Hedgehog 2015 (and stay there please).
Generations also destroyed the reboot aspect of 06 and made it to where Sonic and co. somehow remember what happened in 06 (or at least I can assume that by Silver knowing who Sonic is). Generations is a weird game canonically.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Generations also destroyed the reboot aspect of 06 and made it to where Sonic and co. somehow remember what happened in 06 (or at least I can assume that by Silver knowing who Sonic is). Generations is a weird game canonically.
Spoilered for absolute Sonic nerd discussion.
Silver met Sonic again after the events of 06. Rivals, Rivals 2, and Sonic Colors DS have appearances of Silver. All of these being before Generations. Also, they never completely explain the story of the "White World" anyways. Crisis City could have ended up there "because" of the events of 06 being erased. And I do remember Sonic had some trouble recalling some of the places.

Onto a topic more relevant to the thread, was there any interesting characters to discuss from that list guys? Most I am unfamiliar with.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Spoilered for absolute Sonic nerd discussion.
Silver met Sonic again after the events of 06. Rivals, Rivals 2, and Sonic Colors DS have appearances of Silver. All of these being before Generations. Also, they never completely explain the story of the "White World" anyways. Crisis City could have ended up there "because" of the events of 06 being erased. And I do remember Sonic had some trouble recalling some of the places.

Onto a topic more relevant to the thread, was there any interesting characters to discuss from that list guys? Most I am unfamiliar with.
I thought that the Magical Starsign characters might be interesting. Their game revolves around using the elements or something like that. Could be interesting spellcasters, though I don't really know anything more about them. Also Chibi-Robo.

... Ninten was in that list, ya know.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
You could say the same thing about the bottom of Mario's shoes.
Sometimes I wonder why I bother. I'm not referring to how powerful it is in CR. I mean, we're talking about a move that shoots a serpentine dragon made of fire, which is the size of Ray (if not larger). I don't see a good way to make that a normal move of his - either it's stupidly powerful, or it's really intimidating and visually impressive for what amounts to a slap on the wrist.

I heard they are planning a sequel to 06. And no I kid you not.
Unless Sonic Team are high off their *** (which wouldn't surprise me), they would never force Sonic fans like me to have to remember that abomination.
I think I must have missed something somewhere. Why is this a bad thing, exactly?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I thought the the Magical Starsign characters might be interesting. Their game revolves around using the elements or something like that. Could be interesting, though I don't really know anything more about them. Also Chibi-Robo.

I agree. I wondered why no one had suggested a Magical Starsign character sooner. I know nothing of the series myself, but it looked like a fairly decent Nintendo title.

As for Ninten, I thought we were talking about new characters. Not characters we've previously discussed.

I think I must have missed something somewhere. Why is this a bad thing, exactly?
Naturally it isn't an issue in regards to gameplay. It is more so in regards to the cluster**** of a story 06 had to offer. I'm all fine with the idea of making a game that accomplishes what 06 had originally been intended to do, but there is no point in sequelizing the story of 06.

Shin F.

Smash Master
As for Ninten, I thought we were talking about new characters. Not characters we've previously discussed.
Hence why I made the text black so it was less visible :p

But yeah, I've heard good things about Magical Starsign, it's just really, really obscure I think. I never even knew it outside of its stickers.

Another character that's obscure that I have seen brought up (at least in other forums) is Sabure Prince.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hence why I made the text black so it was less visible :p

But yeah, I've heard good things about Magical Starsign, it's just really, really obscure I think. I never even knew it outside of its stickers.

Another character that's obscure that I have seen brought up (at least in other forums) is Sabure Prince.
Donbe, Sukapon, Balloon Fighter, Lip, Ray, Mach Rider, and especially Sakurai's Pet Cat. All pretty interesting obscure characters.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
If it doesn't skip right, skip to 5:30
Cute. Because Sonic Team intentionally put the glitches in the game, and would love to do so again in a theoretical sequel. Am I following the train of thought correctly?

Naturally it isn't an issue in regards to gameplay. It is more so in regards to the cluster**** of a story 06 had to offer. I'm all fine with the idea of making a game that accomplishes what 06 had originally been intended to do, but there is no point in sequelizing the story of 06.
Well, the story doesn't exist, thanks to the resetting of the timeline. So I didn't see any way it could be a sequel in terms of story, outside of possibly being in the same setting. When I think of what a sequel would be - since it can't be a continuation of the same story - I imagine a game with similar gameplay, similar art style, and setting. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

Not that I had much of a problem with '06's story anyways.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I thought that the Magical Starsign characters might be interesting. Their game revolves around using the elements or something like that. Could be interesting spellcasters, though I don't really know anything more about them. Also Chibi-Robo.

Glad some people read through it xD
I specifically added some Magical starsign characters because I actually rather liked it, bought it at a fye for like 10 bucks and was pleasantly surprised. Out of all the characters from it Mokka is probably the best designed that appears as a trophy/sticker in brawl so that's why I suggested him before the generic main character.

As far as Ninten goes, me and a friend of mine discussed him extensively awhile back and he'd be pretty interesting using PSI skills not found in Earthbound or Mother 3 like PSI 3RD D-Slip and PSI Beam

My personally favorite characters on the list are Agent J, Saki, Takamaru, Ray 01, Chibi-Robo, Medusa, and Mokka for those curious.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I've got some discussion fuel (that may or may not have been adressed before): There's a Zora Link sticker, a Deku Link sticker and a Goron sticker and we have Young Link supporters.

I'm not sure about the details (if this idea is vaible at all and if transformations can be implemented etc.), but wouldn't a Majora's Mask Young Link with mask transformations be awesome? Yes, he'd have to be balanced in a way that may not be benificial to the character overal (based on discussions I've read about Pokémon Trainer's separation from vBrawl to PM), but the PMBR members have proven to be really capable so it they might be able to make it work.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I've got some discussion fuel (that may or may not have been adressed before): There's a Zora Link sticker, a Deku Link sticker and a Goron sticker and we have Young Link supporters.

I'm not sure about the details (if this idea is vaible at all and if transformations can be implemented etc.), but wouldn't a Majora's Mask Young Link with mask transformations be awesome? Yes, he'd have to be balanced in a way that may not be benificial to the character overal (based on discussions I've read about Pokémon Trainer's separation from vBrawl to PM), but the PMBR members have proven to be really capable so it they might be able to make it work.
While cool, that would use up 3-4 clone slots for one character.

Shin F.

Smash Master

It's been discussed, and the general consensus was that, just as Zelda, Sheik, Samus and ZSS take up their own slots despite transforming into one another, a Mask Link would take up four of the remaining five slots and would simply not be worth it.

Edit: Ninja'd by Ginge.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

While cool, that would use up 3-4 clone slots for one character.
It's been discussed, and the general consensus was that, just as Zelda, Sheik, Samus and ZSS take up their own slots despite transforming into one another, a Mask Link would take up four of the remaining five slots and would simply not be worth it.

That sounds logical. Also, I agree it wouldn't be worth all those character slots.

Alright, another idea (that probably also has been discussed): Fierce Deity Link.
I've seen people oppose FD Link as an alt. costume as it wouldn't do him justice, so I'm interested in what people think of FD Link as a unique, stand-alone character.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Cute. Because Sonic Team intentionally put the glitches in the game, and would love to do so again in a theoretical sequel. Am I following the train of thought correctly?

Well, the story doesn't exist, thanks to the resetting of the timeline. So I didn't see any way it could be a sequel in terms of story, outside of possibly being in the same setting. When I think of what a sequel would be - since it can't be a continuation of the same story - I imagine a game with similar gameplay, similar art style, and setting. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

Not that I had much of a problem with '06's story anyways.
The way the article described the story going, there was going to be:

-Gold the Hedgehog, Silver's Rival
-Elise-Amy-Sonic love triangle
-Revival of Mephiles with a deeper backstory.

While the first two are understandable dislikes, Mephiles returning would have the same effect as Shadow being brought back in Heroes. It won't make sense and it will kill what people enjoyed about the character from his first appearance. That is not to say they couldn't do it right, but I doubt Sonic Team would put the effort into making sense of 06's previous story.

That being said, I don't mind Silver or Shadow's stories from 06. Sonic on the other hand... Princess Elise is honestly a terrible love interest. I would prefer them to avoid making this mistake again. I wouldn't mind a Sequel to 06, just not like the one described in the article. That is what I was getting at.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That sounds logical. Also, I agree it wouldn't be worth all those character slots.

Alright, another idea (that probably also has been discussed): Fierce Deity Link.
I've seen people oppose FD Link as an alt. costume as it wouldn't do him justice, so I'm interested in what people think of FD Link as a unique, stand-alone character.
I believe people made it clear that they didn't want another version of Link in any form before another Zelda character. Most notably Tetra, Skull Kid, The King, and even Tingle.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I think we need an entire forum to discuss clone engine characters (like Smash 4's.)

That way we can have different threads for individual characters and post moveset ideas and whatever.

More like Ginja'd

On the topic of transformations, model swapping is possible, as well as moveset swapping.

Mask Link might be too complex anyway with all those sounds and effects and stuff.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I think we need an entire forum to discuss clone engine characters (like Smash 4's.)

That way we can have different threads for individual characters and post moveset ideas and whatever.

More like Ginja'd

On the topic of transformations, model swapping is possible, as well as moveset swapping.

Mask Link might be too complex anyway with all those sounds and effects and stuff.
I support this idea.
I second that notion.

Ginge

Smash Ace
More like Ginja'd
I'm.... really okay with this wording :p Carry on.

The problem is most of the rest of the PM forum actively dislikes this thread / we wouldn't get the support for a subforum. Any time an individual thread is made, it gets locked within a day.

Zeallyx

I believe people made it clear that they didn't want another version of Link in any form before another Zelda character. Most notably Tetra, Skull Kid, The King, and even Tingle.
Alright. That's understandable.

I too would prefer Skull Kid over Fierce Deity Link, though I'm not opposed to FD Link because he's another Link: I think Majora's Mask Skull Kid has more unique potential.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
We would absolutely need a subforum if that was to even be possible. We wouldn't want to crowd the General Discussion with a bunch of post for possible clone engine characters, some which would be pretty obscure.

By the way Ninka_kiwi, I was originally planning on doing this myself but I won't really have the time. Do you think you could organize your list by series origin? I think it would make it a lot easier to browse for potential characters.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Honestly, with the way this place is treated as having "stupidity akin to the Smash 4 boards" by the rest of the PM community, there is no way a new subforum would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom