• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
He's both. Frankly, there's no name for the weapon he uses, because it's magic. But it's a bow, a two-bladed sword, and two daggers all at once.
http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Palutena_Bow
Either way the swordsman argument is stupid.
Oh my gosh too many archers, we already have Pit, Link, Tink, Zelda, Sheik, and we're going to get another one with Lyn? Really guys we need more diversity on the roster.
:/

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
@GoldenYuiitusin
Well, damn. It's pretty ridiculous to consider that a pro, lol.

Either way it isn't worth the discussion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I...don't see the logic in this. At all. You could say that Starfox only has one rep, by the same token.

There's no reason to get upset simply because people don't like Lyn. It is an opinion, believe it or not. I've played her game, and I don't really see the appeal of her character, either. I don't hate her by any stretch, and I'm pretty sure Golden doesn't either. He's a pretty cool guy, he's not the kind of person to outright hate someone.

If we're pulling characters from FE7, I'd much rather have Hector, as he's a huge badass, plus dat axe.
This is true; I don't actually hate Lyn. I just don't see any worth in her inclusion.
If there's one thing I do hate, however, it's that I'm being labeled as a "hipster" by fanboys just because I am against her inclusion. Because clearly, I don't want her just because everyone else does. :rolleyes: I mean, that's why I'm so AGAINST Ridley's inclusion....wait a minute......

EDIT: And yes, I too would rather have Hector for DAT AXE. Though at the same time, I'd rather just not have another new FE character in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Palutena_Bow
Either way the swordsman argument is stupid.
Oh my gosh too many archers, we already have Pit, Link, Tink, Zelda, Sheik, and we're going to get another one with Lyn? Really guys we need more diversity on the roster.
:/
The swordsman argument is stupid, but the fact remains that he uses that weapon as swords. There's no bow in the world that splits apart into two daggers or doubles as a bladed weapon. It's not just a bow.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
To be honest, I don't consider MK to be a swordsman the same way I consider Marth/Roy/Link/Ike. His range doesn't even come close to that of the usual Smash sword character, bar fsmash. Of course, he is holding a blade, but he doesn't play like the typical sword-wielder, well at least for me.
I don't know anything about FE, but what if Lyn played like a similar close-range swordsman? Her attacks would come out extremely fast, even more so than Marth, but would require you to be highly precise and spot-on. Would this make sense with her character?

Also, typing on a phone takes a ****load of time.

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
To be honest, I don't consider MK to be a swordsman the same way I consider Marth/Roy/Link/Ike. His range doesn't even come close to that of the usual Smash sword character, bar fsmash. Of course, he is holding a blade, but he doesn't play like the typical sword-wielder, well at least for me.
I don't know anything about FE, but what if Lyn played like a similar close-range swordsman? Her attacks would come out extremely fast, even more so than Marth, but would require you to be highly precise and spot-on. Would this make sense with her character?

Also, typing on a phone takes a ****load of time.
Yes, yes it would. Half of her style is leaving her sword in the sheath until she attacks. She is a quick draw swordswoman. One of the few units that maxed out Speed and had great Crit chances (upwards of 50% with certain weapons).

Side note: what the hell happened to Sonic and co?

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
...So yeah, Knuckles the Echidna. Totally using this hip new incarnation of him, right?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That's the thing though. I've realized just how much of this thread involves people snarking at each other for their opinions.

The poll is important but the discussion flowing from it is anything but, and frankly I don't think it affects the PM:BR's decisions that much.

So really, all it does is piss off every fan of each of the characters, because someone wants them in and someone else sees no worth in their inclusion for any reason.

S'yeah, I wont be posting anything topic-related here anymore, (so not much if anything at all) and I would like to extend an apology to the Pichu fans.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
So I very much believe the leak is legit. A few reasons.

1: The information leaked about the new characters matches previous leaks that gained credibility when they correctly predicted both M2 and Roy.

2: The screen shots of PMBR members chewing out DemonBoy are pretty damning.

3: The PMBR has made no official announcements denying the leaked information. You can be sure if it was all false, they would have done so by now. The fact that they haven't implies that at least some of the information is true.

4: DemonBoy himself has said nothing. If he was not the leaker, he most likely would have made an announcement denying the leak and saying he had been framed. His silence is also consistent with the story that he did this as a final "**** you" before leaving the modding community.

The only other explanation is that the PMBR concocted all of this to create drama. This, however, is EXTREMELY unlikely given that the PMBR thus far has been very professional and would not go to these lengths to cause confusion and drama within it's own community.

I would like to say though, just because content is leaked does not in any way confirm it will be in the release build of Project M. Things are very likely to change, especially since the PM team is basing some of their decisions off of who makes it into SSB4.

Finally, DemonBoy is a prick.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I want to believe.

Skull Kid hype.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
You know, even if I'd be quite happy with the revealed characters, 3 of the 5 are by no means easy tasks. Skull Kid, Issac, and Lyn will be quite difficult to animate to their standards, and I'm going to guess that Sami could possibly be a challenge in some cases as well. I'd have to hand it to them if they pull it off, but I wouldn't expect any of these characters to show up on the roster quickly except Knuckles.

The Andy + Sami course is an interesting concept, and I have to admit that I used those two a lot whenever I played AW:DS (my main team was Sasha/Sami though). I could see Andy being easier to clone off of Snake so that's a plus, but I can't lie that I'd be much more excited for Sami since I personally prefer her character. If they only chose one I hope it is in fact Sami.

Knuckles is by far one of the safest choices they could make for a Sonic Rep. I still would prefer Tails since I think his moveset potential is absolutely amazing (you can experience a taste of this in SSF2) and the possibility of him being another float character really piques my interest. But alas, he would take A LOT more work to do. Knuckles is probably my favorite Sonic character though, although my Sonic experience doesn't stem far from the genesis days (I loved 2 and S&K) and 3D for the Saturn. I've heard I haven't been missing much though. Besides, a slightly slower/heavier hitting Sonic with a glide sounds amazing.

I don't have anything to say for Issac. I wanted him in Brawl, I wish he could be in SSB4 but it'll never happen (they gave me Mega Man so I can't really complain), so if the PMBR is willing to give him a shot in Project M then by all means give me that Issac fix I've been waiting for. Unfortunately he is the most complicated of the 5 to make so I'm not expecting him for quite a while.

When someone brought up the concept of Skull Kid, even though I'm one of those strange people who despises Majora's Mask (I hate time limits), I was instantly sold. He could end up being one of the most interesting characters on the roster to use, and I'm not going to turn down that opportunity, even with my personal bias.

With Lyn, I will a admit she's "another sword character", but that doesn't take away the her Iaido swordplay. She'll be interesting to see implemented to say the least.

Promestein

Smash Cadet
A reboot happened.
Not a reboot. Modern Sonic isn't going to be affected in the least. It's a game based off the animated series, not developed by Sonic team, exclusively for Wii U.

Since there seem to be some new people in here, who might not have gotten to see the /v/ thread where this leak got 'confirmed', here it is.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Not a reboot. Modern Sonic isn't going to be affected in the least. It's a game based off the animated series, not developed by Sonic team, exclusively for Wii U.

Since there seem to be some new people in here, who might not have gotten to see the /v/ thread where this leak got 'confirmed', here it is.
Eh, some people are calling it a reboot, but it's not super clear. I'm actually excited for it either way though! It looks co-op, and I've wanted that for a while.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If characters such as Isaac from Golden Sun and Sami/Andy from Advance Wars, I just want to ask how and what sort of victory themes will be used?

Last edited:

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
If characters such as Isaac from Golden Sun and Sami/Andy from Advance Wars, I just want to ask how and what sort of victory themes will be used?
Considering the team was able to get someone to make music for both their reveal trailers of Mewtwo and Roy, I bet they'd be able to get someone to make some win themes for them.

Bleck

Smash Master
I hope it's possible for them to allocate extra song slots for victory themes for any new series characters, 'cause that'll mean they could potentially do that for all characters which is something I desperately want.

MasterScrub

M O N A D O B O Y S
NNID
MasterScrub
I hope it's possible for them to allocate extra song slots for victory themes for any new series characters, 'cause that'll mean they could potentially do that for all characters which is something I desperately want.
IIRC that's already possible. I... THINK there's a code floating around to give everyone their own win themes? I have no idea if there's a 3.02 compatible one, or one that's compatible with P:M at all, but I'm almost POSITIVE everyone having their own victory theme has been possible for a while now

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
All right.

It's time for your daily dose of :pichumelee:

PREPARE YOUR EYES
There is actually a couple of problems with Pichu that haven't been mentioned yet.

Yes I know I am a Pichu supporter but I look at everything when considering characters for this game and even I know the real potential problems with adding Pichu.

Let's just get into it though.

Pichu is extremely light. This means he is susceptible to death easy; as you all know. This normally wouldn't be a problem if he was buffed properly but the thing is that in PM, the developers have made it their goal to make sure that characters don't have a significant number of unfavorable matchups.

Pichu is destined for bad matchups because of the way he is.
  • Bad Wavedash
  • Bad grab range
  • Dash Grab is very punishable
  • Bad Roll/Tech roll distance
  • Lightweight
  • Low Attack Range
Balancing this might be extremely difficult without overhauling the character entirely. But then again, I might not know how easy this actually would be.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
All right.

It's time for your daily dose of :pichumelee:

PREPARE YOUR EYES
There is actually a couple of problems with Pichu that haven't been mentioned yet.

Yes I know I am a Pichu supporter but I look at everything when considering characters for this game and even I know the real potential problems with adding Pichu.

Let's just get into it though.

Pichu is extremely light. This means he is susceptible to death easy; as you all know. This normally wouldn't be a problem if he was buffed properly but the thing is that in PM, the developers have made it their goal to make sure that characters don't have a significant number of unfavorable matchups.

Pichu is destined for bad matchups because of the way he is.
  • Bad Wavedash
  • Bad grab range
  • Dash Grab is very punishable
  • Bad Roll/Tech roll distance
  • Lightweight
  • Low Attack Range
Balancing this might be extremely difficult without overhauling the character entirely. But then again, I might not know how easy this actually would be.
HOW ABOUT A TRIPLE DOSE?! :pichumelee::pichumelee::pichumelee:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I assume that they won't be able to use any existing music as it's all licensed and did not appear in Brawl.

If we get an AW rep, I plan on simply modding in the preexisting victory music from Advance Wars, specifically the AWDS version. Hearing "ONE TWO THREE FOUR" after a win in AW never gets old.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm pretty sure they'll have someone compose a few seconds of fitting victory theme music.

The first few seconds of the GS battle fanfare is perfect, so I'd expect that to be Isaac's.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The Andy + Sami course is an interesting concept, and I have to admit that I used those two a lot whenever I played AW:DS (my main team was Sasha/Sami though). I could see Andy being easier to clone off of Snake so that's a plus, but I can't lie that I'd be much more excited for Sami since I personally prefer her character. If they only chose one I hope it is in fact Sami.
Sami would actually be easier than Andy to build using Snake as a model. Andy would need a wrench-based moveset to be faithful to the character. A faithful Andy would probably tend closer to Link than Snake.

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
Yeah there already is a code to give anyone their own individual victory theme. The problem is that you need to sacrifice a music slot somewhere else.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
IDEA! Tanatos (the removed H stands for extra HAMAZING!) from Kid Icarus Uprising for Clone Engine!

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
For those who are interested, here are the most recent stats for the supposedly leaked 5, after 240 votes:

Isaac: 126 full votes, 23 half votes, 10 anti votes. Total score: 127.5. 93.7% support.

Lyn: 80 full votes, 24 half votes, 22 anti votes. Total score: 70. 82.5% support

Skull Kid: 26 full votes, 27 half votes, 14 anti votes. Total score: 30. 91.3% support. Late entry

Sami: 32 full votes, 14 half votes, 17 anti votes. Total score: 22. 73.0% support.

Knuckles: 15 full votes, 9 half votes, 48 anti votes. Total score: -28.5. 33.3% support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom