• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
@ Anti-Guy - Sorry to ask again, but do you or anyone else have the full results of the poll?
I do. I'll post them eventually. There haven't been many new votes since the last update, so there's no point yet.

Ginge

Smash Ace
He updates it pretty regularly. The current listing in the first post is going to be quite accurate.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Why the hell is everyone worried about Sami not being unique

Look how similar Mewtwo and Lucario are for f's sake

I'm pretty certain every clone engine character will get similar treatment. These are not characters being shoehorned in to pad the roster, each is a labor of love by the PMBR. You can be danged certain that if they choose to include someone, they will put in work on them.
Couldn't agree more. Anybody expecting exact clones is doing the PMBR a disservice. Just look at the faithfulness with which they've made many characters reflect aspects of their original games.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I actually haven't updated the OP with a link to the most recent results. I'm gonna be out for a while... can someone with a lot of free time go back like 20 or so pages and find my last update so I can quote it?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
God damn it PMBR stop trolling us!

My hopes are only going up! :(

Spire

III
BRoomer
I actually haven't updated the OP with a link to the most recent results. I'm gonna be out for a while... can someone with a lot of free time go back like 20 or so pages and find my last update so I can quote it?
Man, I went looking but couldn't find it. Check page 204, you had a few posts there concerning new votes. Maybe I overlooked something.

Last edited:

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
OP should modify masked man into Flint. He isin't a"spolier", and is a much more diverse character.

Plus he's a cowboy who fights with lumber. How can you go wrong?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So...

...how about Skull Kid suddenly becoming a real possibility, huh?

Anyone want to geek over how he might play :D ?

I personally think he'll have a hover, and maybe use the mask itself as a hitbox in some of his attacks. It IS spiky,

so it looks like it can hurt even without any dark magic, wouldn't you say?

EDIT:

OP should modify masked man into Flint. He isin't a"spolier", and is a much more diverse character.

Plus he's a cowboy who fights with lumber. How can you go wrong?
For one thing, you misspelled "spoiler", and another thing is that Flint isn't all that combative beyond the first chapter and tear jerking final battle. The Masked Man shows tons of variety in his fighting ability both times you fight him, and in general is more open with how he can be in Smash.

Honestly, whenever I see anyone suggest Flint, of all possible Mother candidates, I seriously wonder if they've actually played any of the Mother / EarthBound games, let alone Mother 3. If they did, you'd instead see suggestions for, most commonly:

Ninten
Porky, and
The Masked Man

Those are the only three realistic candidates for another character from Mother, at least in Smash 4. In Project M there's no chance in hell that Porky could be implemented in a fun way that's true to the character.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
If Skull Kid is playable, I hope that his nair or fair is a move similar in effect to Kirby's nair, and visually it looks as though the mask gets bigger and Skull Kid himself recedes into it. Sort of like Shuma-Gorath's Mystic Smash in MVC3.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Skull Kid would have to have a hover. His Final Smash would also have to be the moon crashing down on the stage.

Other than that I have no idea.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Skull Kid would have to have a hover. His Final Smash would also have to be the moon crashing down on the stage.

Other than that I have no idea.
How about we make the moonfall idea his jab or something, because, honestly, who the **** cares about Final Smashes in PM. Could be broken tho...

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I think that maybe the mask could float off on its own and attack remotely, kind of like how Rosalina uses Lumas in Smash 4. Maybe it could be a special that changes another one of his specials. Like, since it's off his face now, he could now have room to use blow darts like in the other Zelda games.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think that maybe the mask could float off on its own and attack remotely, kind of like how Rosalina uses Lumas in Smash 4. Maybe it could be a special that changes another one of his specials. Like, since it's off his face now, he could now have room to use blow darts like in the other Zelda games.
Spire suggested that when I was here last, a few months ago or so. I think it would be a coding nightmare with the limitations of the clone engine. The blowgun should definitely be incorporated though; if nothing else, he could push up the mask when he uses it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If he's cloned off of Lucas or something, I just want his entrance to be riding into the arena on Epona, with Young Link hanging on desperately before falling off.

Or just the Epona thing.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If he's cloned off of Lucas or something, I just want his entrance to be riding into the arena on Epona, with Young Link hanging on desperately before falling off.

Or just the Epona thing.
One of his taunts needs to be a press and hold taunt where he leans back in midair with his arms and legs crossed. His entrance could be the Epona thing, or just a dark purple teleport or something.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
One of his taunts needs to be a press and hold taunt where he leans back in midair with his arms and legs crossed. His entrance could be the Epona thing, or just a dark purple teleport or something.
The taunts seem pretty easy to guess for me.

1. The press and hold relax taunt.
2. He stands there and cackles
3. His weird little arm dance thing, that he does the first time he appears.

The scream and moonfall should be in his FS.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The taunts seem pretty easy to guess for me.

1. The press and hold relax taunt.
2. He stands there and cackles
3. His weird little arm dance thing, that he does the first time he appears.

The scream and moonfall should be in his FS.
Yep, the laugh absolutely has to be one of his taunts too. But I think his final taunt should be the butt-shake he does when you see him on top of the Clock Tower from the observatory. Agreed about his Final Smash.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Actually, I forgot about the butt thing. I love it.

Yeah I think those taunts are perfect.

Oh man I really hope this hype isn't being misplAced!

Shin F.

Smash Master
Look at it this way. If the P:MBR doesn't make this, someone will, and there will probably be either someone we'll want to replace, or an empty slot left over.
Well, there is a Skull Kid PSA on the Vault. I haven't used it yet, but it seems pretty fun. Once you can clone TL in BrawlEx, though, I'm going to try him out.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Well, there is a Skull Kid PSA on the Vault. I haven't used it yet, but it seems pretty fun. Once you can clone TL in BrawlEx, though, I'm going to try him out.
Yeah, but (a) the BrawlEx clone engine isn't as good mechanically as P:M's, from what I understand, and (b) it probably doesn't have P:M physics, which is a dealbreaker for me. Plus (c) who knows if that clone engine will ever work with P:M?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yeah, but (a) the BrawlEx clone engine isn't as good mechanically as P:M's, from what I understand, and (b) it probably doesn't have P:M physics, which is a dealbreaker for me. Plus (c) who knows if that clone engine will ever work with P:M?
I was mainly bringing it up because it has a video... ya know... with moves, and attacks, and all that. Not because I was endorsing adding that specific one to PM. Me intending to add it to my custom build was an aside.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I was mainly bringing it up because it has a video... ya know... with moves, and attacks, and all that. Not because I was endorsing adding that specific one to PM. Me intending to add it to my custom build was an aside.

Heh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to dump all over your idea. :p It's cool that one exists, and it shows that at least someone enjoys the idea enough to make it! So I have no doubt we could find a group of people willing to contribute and craft one for P:M.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
My main reason for hoping so hard that it's true, is that Skull Kid is a character I'd really love to see added and endorsed in an official version, so that seeing him at tournaments wouldn't just be a dream of mine. I'd certainly use a less-official version someone made once the clone engine is officially released publicly, but that's about the same as me using that extremely broken but amazing Project M-ready Canondorf set.

I want it to be official damn it!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
My main reason for hoping so hard that it's true, is that Skull Kid is a character I'd really love to see added and endorsed in an official version, so that seeing him at tournaments wouldn't just be a dream of mine. I'd certainly use a less-official version someone made once the clone engine is officially released publicly, but that's about the same as me using that extremely broken but amazing Project M-ready Canondorf set.

I want it to be official damn it!
I feel ya! (I wish Ashingda had more time to work on that Canondorf, because I want it to be more balanced.) I too want Skull kid worked on with the care and skill exhibited by the P:MBR, and I sincerely hope they at least consider him. Of course, more than that I want him to be playable, but even if it doesn't eventually come to fruition, I would be happy to know they at least thought about it.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Now I wanna make a Skull Kid moveset, but unlike FE characters, that would actually require me to think...

Guess it's not happening.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Now I wanna make a Skull Kid moveset, but unlike FE characters, that would actually require me to think...

Guess it's not happening.
About 60 pages back or so, Spire and I came up with a partial moveset before we decided to put it on hold for some reason or another :p This is what we came up with before we stopped.

I agree with all of this. This almost fully matches up with my view of the character. The spin-disappear is actually the teleport I was talking about, so if he gets Mewtwo's Hover, then it could serve as his Up Special. I like the way you've described it. It sets it apart from other teleports. I would go with the shortened air distance, but only if he doesn't fall while using it.

So, this is what I have in my list so far. I may have added a couple of other things that I haven't mentioned yet.
Skull Kid
Movement
Entrance - Cloned from Link's or Pit's, he floats down looking like a lifeless doll, coming to life when he hits the ground. The beam of light could be dark?
Idle - He stands while looking around and occasionally shaking his head / mask back and forth.
Walk - He hovers Mewtwo style.
Run - Skull Kid dashes on the ground, in the style of TP Skull Kid.
Jumps - Faster, less floaty version of Mewtwo's jumps. He could also gain Mewtwo's ability to Hover.

Standard Attacks
Jab - Borrowed from Lucas, with Darkness instead of PSI.
F tilt - Hits with his lantern from Twilight Princess, dealing a small bit of fire damage,
Up Tilt -
Down Tilt -

N Air -
F Air -
B Air -
D Air -
U Air -

Smash Attacks
F Smash -
U Smash - Skull Kid uses his flute and summons puppets that attack from the ground.
D Smash -
1. Skull Kid slams his TP lantern on the ground, with fire spewing out of it from all sides.
OR
2. Skull Kid toots his flute and summons a Puppet to attack.

Special Attacks
Neutral B - Blow Dart - Skull Kid uses his blow darts from Ocarina of Time. Shoots a dart forward when on the ground, and at a downward angle when in the air, like Sheik's needles. They could potentially work like Snake's Tranq Gun to put enemies to sleep.

Side B - Majora's Wrath - Majora uses its tentacles to whip the opponent while drawing them closer in. Could work in a number of different ways, perhaps as a combo type move similar to Dancing Blade or Double-Edge Dance.

Down B - Skull Kid does his signature scream, which sends out a radial wave similar to Tabuu's Off Waves or DK's Final Smash. It's chargeable on the ground, with the distance and volume growing the larger it charges. In the air, it simply is used without any charging. It deals very little damage and knock back, but has a moderately long stunning effect like Deku Nuts or broken shields against anything it hits. If it hits someone in the air, it'll cause them to fall. It's good for escaping combos and intercepting recoveries.

Up B -
1. Cloned from Pit's original Up B, Skull Kid gains the ability to fly freely for a short time.
OR
2. Teleport - Animation taken from TP.

Final Smash - The Moon comes crashing down. Modified PK Starstorm?

Grab
Grab - Mask tentacles tether/grab
Pummel - Squeezes with the tentacles
U Throw - Tosses them into the air, setting up for combos
D Throw - Slams them on the ground
F Throw - Spins once and throws them back
B Throw - Spins once and throws them back

Taunt 1 - Tatl and Tael fly around him a moment, then hide in his hat.
Taunt 2 - He takes out the Ocarina, blows it a sec, then laughs and puts it away.
Taunt 3 - He floats in midair with his arms crossed while laughing.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Skull Kid should draw too much from his TP incarnation, while TP Skull Kid is very much based on MM/OoT Skull Kid there's also a lot about him that's very different almost to the point of not feeling like the same species. Just a different feeling like that probably isn't worth disregarding him entirely but I find it hard to picture MM Skull Kid doing things like using puppets or fighting with a lantern cause those things aren't associated with MM skull kid at all.
There's a chance I'm just being pedantic but I don't think people are going to look at something like that and go, "Oh yeah that was in TP, skull kids do that." Rather than thinking "MM Skull Kid wouldn't do that he'd use the mask's power or just hit normally or something like that."
Also I guess I feel that it's adding complexity to the character that just isn't really needed.

On the other hand a TP Skull Kid alt costume wouldn't be a bad idea, if they could find a mask substitute or maybe just give him a version of Majora's Mask in a more TP style.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Skull Kid would be amazing in PM imo. Actually, that's an understatement: I think Skull Kid would be the most amazing in PM of all the possible newcomers. I love his design and his moveset has so much potential, too. Plus he's the main villain in one of my favorite Zelda games. Also: he's confirmed NOT to be in Smash 4 (Wii U/3DS), so that's a plus too.

I think that Skull Kid's moves should be either from or based on Majora's Mask Skull Kid entirely as his model would be used and Majora's Mask should be the main focus of his moveset imo. If Majora's Mask is the main focus of his moveset there's enough magic/mystery and in-game portrayals that can be used as the basis for his moves. The moon (through Majora's Mask's manipulation) would also be cool to see, but as the Moon's hitbox is huge by definition, it has to be a Final Smash for it not to be kinda broken as I see it.

I might work out some move possibilities as I have quite some ideas, but I'm not sure if people here are waiting for/appreciate such posts.

tl;dr: Skill Kid + Majora's Mask<333333

Last edited:

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
One of the main reasons I'm hoping for Skull Kid (aside from the many already mentioned ones) is that I've always wanted a small n' speedy-ish Villain to be playable, and the only other one of those I can think of within Nintendo is Minish Cap Vaati (Not Eligible), Bowser Jr. or another one of the Koopalings and Skull Kid's already been confirmed to not be a fighter in Smash 4 so I feel like this is the only chance he has.

Also, am I the only one that feels like if they added another Mother/EarthBound character instead of adding another Character from Mother 3, or adding Ninten, Why not Ana from Earthbound Zero? It'd give full coverage to the Mother Series and add another girl fighter. Plus, Unlike Ness and Lucas, in her game she's the one that learned the offensive PSI (Some of which aren't in any other entries in the series, PK Beam anyone?).

Last edited:

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Because hardly anyone would know Ana.

And Flint is a BA. So he should be chosen instead. <_< >_>

Shin F.

Smash Master
One of the main reasons I'm hoping for Skull Kid (aside from the many already mentioned ones) is that I've always wanted a small n' speedy-ish Villain to be playable, and the only other one of those I can think of within Nintendo is Minish Cap Vaati (Not Eligible), Bowser Jr. or another one of the Koopalings and Skull Kid's already been confirmed to not be a fighter in Smash 4 so I feel like this is the only chance he has.

Also, am I the only one that feels like if they added another Mother/EarthBound character instead of adding another Character from Mother 3, or adding Ninten, Why not Ana from Earthbound Zero? It'd give full coverage to the Mother Series and add another girl fighter. Plus, Unlike Ness and Lucas, in her game she's the one that learned the offensive PSI (Some of which aren't in any other entries in the series, PK Beam anyone?).
But Ninten could just borrow anything she can use the same way Ness and Lucas do. Actually, if they added Ninten (low chance, I know) then I'd like to see a moveset where he uses his weapons in more of his moves. Like, maybe his bat could be used for an aerial attack where he spikes them by swinging it downward or something. I think it'd be pretty cool if Quick Up mirrored Lucas' Offense Up and gave him a short-lived turbo mode and they could separate him further from the others by giving him PSI Hypnosis, his slingshot, or his boomerang. His recovery could be 4th-D Slip instead of the usual PK Thunder.

But, another Mother rep is unlikely, so this is all just for fun in any case :p

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Scattered thoughts for Skull Kid's move set:

Perhaps Tael could be incorporated into the moveset. Could be just run into an opponent at short range like how he did to startle Epona at the beginning of MM.

Plenty of good taunt material. He could just look out at the camera and have the mask rotate left and right. Or his annoying laugh thing is another good one.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that his final smash MUST BE moonfall.

Physics should make him feel nimble and spry. Perhaps something along the lines of ZSS.

Some moves from his Twilight Princess incarnation could be used. Maybe some horn or lantern B attacks. Or maybe the slingshot. It fits with his trickster personality.

For up B, it would be cool if the mask "possess" skull kid and his body goes limp while the mask glows and allows him to hover around, similar to Mewtwo's hover or Pit's old Up-B

A attacks are trickier. I think the easiest route for the PMBR would be using some kind of spectral demonic tentacles that resemble his attacks from Majora's boss forms during the final battle in MM.

However he ends up playing in the end though, I know I'm going to invest plenty of time trying to get good with him. Cuz he's fricken Skull Kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom