• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well played. Haha.
But seriously, I don't go around telling other people to vote Toad or Isaac or Ninten. I just express that I like the character, share how they might work, and leave everyone else to decide if they want to half-vote or full vote the character themselves. It's just easier on others to not be aggressive like that.

And yes, I already gave him a half-vote. Hell, before the first (and so far, only) vote reset, Takamaru was one of my full votes.

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I just wanna say, as a Sonic Fan, Knuckles seems to be the most logical pick for inclusion in Smash, not to diss any other character, but he represents the (arguably) best game in the Classic Sonic series and Sonic series overall and for that merit alone he deserves a spot in the roster, IMO. Though I see why people wouldn't want him in.

Also, if all these leaks flying around somehow happen to hold some truth, seeing Knuckles and Pichu bros. being thrown around, makes me wonder if there is still a purpose to this thread's poll, especially since Sonic characters and Pichu are pretty low on it, and even if it was to please the vocal minority with Pichu, how does Knuckles fit in all this? Since it's agreed by every Sonic character supporter (including me) that there's much more demand for a Nintendo owned character to be represented in P:M, and rightfully so, this being a Nintendo All-Star Brawling game.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
+1 Paper Mario
+1 Sami
+1 Lip
+1 Isaac

Lyn and Hector are the only FE candidates? Micaiah, Lilina, Eirika and Ephraim was not considered yet?

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
They were, but only characters with a sufficient amount of support go into the OP.
If that's the case then...

+1 Lyn

(Lip at least is on the past results)

Blue Red Green Blue, my PM CSS is gonna look pretty.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
But seriously, I don't go around telling other people to vote Toad or Isaac or Ninten. I just express that I like the character, share how they might work, and leave everyone else to decide if they want to half-vote or full vote the character themselves. It's just easier on others to not be aggressive like that.

And yes, I already gave him a half-vote. Hell, before the first (and so far, only) vote reset, Takamaru was one of my full votes.
Really hope I haven't been coming off aggressively/obnoxiously. I've mostly been playing it up since I never see any other Taka bros in here like I'll see the Mother fans or other specific franchise fans, but I'll try and tone it down now.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Really hope I haven't been coming off aggressively/obnoxiously. I've mostly been playing it up since I never see any other Taka bros in here like I'll see the Mother fans or other specific franchise fans, but I'll try and tone it down now.
I would try informing people of Taka instead of asking them to vote. It is the best way of getting your point across.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I think he has enough half-votes to make it into the OP the next time it's updated regardless, so future voters can glance at him, see that he's cool, and vote for him.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'm not being aggressive. I stated my opinion and you spoke up as if no one should feel negatively about Knuckles. I'm allowed to not want to see a character. It doesn't make me mean or wrong for feeling that way either. As a long time fan of the series, I do have a say in the matter of what I do and do not want to see. Especially without having to be questioned about my opinion as if I'm wrong in the matter.

I'm not hating on your taste. You're allowed to like whatever you want. But don't expect me or anyone else to feel the same way. That is unfair to those of us who really would like to see other characters instead.
You're being pretty aggressive. I played Sonic when I was a wee sprite and that "true sonic fans would rather see tails" jab was pretty balls, dude. I'm super excited for Knuckles inclusion, and you definitely don't have to like it, but that's not the same as ****ting on it and saying that people who don't agree aren't true fans to the series. It's uncalled for and, in this case, wrong. :drifloon:

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You're being pretty aggressive. I played Sonic when I was a wee sprite and that "true sonic fans would rather see tails" jab was pretty balls, dude. I'm super excited for Knuckles inclusion, and you definitely don't have to like it, but that's not the same as ****ting on it and saying that people who don't agree aren't true fans to the series. It's uncalled for and, in this case, wrong. :drifloon:
"I'm wrong for defending my opinion". Get real dude.

GeZ

Smash Lord
"I'm wrong for defending my opinion". Get real dude.
You made an objective statement about long time fans of the sonic series that was wrong. That's what I said. Read my post again. Having and voicing an opinion is fine, no ones saying otherwise, but in that case you made a brash exclusiveist statement about the state of the Sonic playerbase that was wrong. That's all I said in my above post, which for being like 4 lines you seemed to have skimmed? Look again.

Edit: We shouldn't have a crapfest over the sonic player bases's opinions when neither of us can objectively represent it in its entirety. Too silly. Agree to disagree?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
You made an objective statement about long time fans of the sonic series that was wrong. That's what I said. Read my post again. Having and voicing an opinion is fine, no ones saying otherwise, but in that case you made a brash exclusiveist statement about the state of the Sonic playerbase that was wrong. That's all I said in my above post, which for being like 4 lines you seemed to have skimmed? Look again.
Are you sure you read his post entirely right?
Solbliminal said:
for the childhood experience, people would much rather see Tails with Sonic or Sonic against Eggman.
For the childhood experience. Not necessarily long-time fans of the series. People who played and remember the old Classic Sonic games. In general, he's probably right. Of the three Sonic characters discussed here, Tails is the one with the most support and least down-votes, and to fans of the old classic series, it's natural to see Sonic and Tails together. Heck, they were rumored to be in Melee together. They're the two playable Sonic characters in SSF2. And it's not hard to imagine that if someone wanted a Sonic villain, they'd pick Eggman, being that he's the oldest and most recurring.

I should note that Sol never even supported Tails. He's always wanted Shadow, so he's hardly being biased when he says more people would like Tails.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Are you sure you read his post entirely right?

For the childhood experience. Not necessarily long-time fans of the series. People who played and remember the old Classic Sonic games. In general, he's probably right. Of the three Sonic characters discussed here, Tails is the one with the most support and least down-votes, and to fans of the old classic series, it's natural to see Sonic and Tails together. Heck, they were rumored to be in Melee together. They're the two playable Sonic characters in SSF2. And it's not hard to imagine that if someone wanted a Sonic villain, they'd pick Eggman, being that he's the oldest and most recurring.
Just saying, I played that game when I was being babysat in early early gradeschool. I've had the childhood experience, and I'd rather see Knuckles.

I'm just saying the statement is written in a really exclusive fashion. Like "this is what you think if you had the this experience" which is rutting a lot and assuming a lot. Chie and I are long time fans with different opinions than the one mentioned, and I'm pointing out that representation wise the statement isn't as all inclusive as the post would suggest.

ITT painting with broad strokes is a no no.

Edit: Also the childhood and long time fan experience match up pretty well if you consider how old the series is.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Just saying, I played that game when I was being babysat in early early gradeschool. I've had the childhood experience, and I'd rather see Knuckles.

I'm just saying the statement is written in a really exclusive fashion. Like "this is what you think if you had the this experience" which is rutting a lot and assuming a lot. Chie and I are long time fans with different opinions than the one mentioned, and I'm pointing out that representation wise the statement isn't as all inclusive as the post would suggest.

ITT painting with broad strokes is a no no.
Of course there are exceptions to all generalized statements, and they should not be taken as absolute. That would make no sense. That doesn't, however, mean that there's anything inherently wrong with making a generalized statement that is, in a very large number of cases, true. For instance, I could say "America doesn't approve of its Congress" and be largely right. That doesn't include every single American, but as a general statement, it's true.

It's the same kind of case here. I, for one, had that childhood Sonic experience as well - and yes, I'd take Tails or Eggman over Knuckles any day, and I suspect that I'm far from alone in such an opinion. The poll results would support such a statement in the case of Tails, considering he's currently ranked the highest of all the Sonic characters in popularity. (Not that that's not saying much, considering that that they're still the bottom 3.)

Further, he's not pushing his statement onto those who believe otherwise, and honestly, you're making an assumption yourself in believing that this was his intention. He could hardly have been making an all-inclusive statement like that considering that the statement would not even include himself.

Edit:
Edit: Also the childhood and long time fan experience match up pretty well if you consider how old the series is.
Sometimes, but not always. I, for instance, had Sonic and Knuckles (I think) as my last Sonic experience, so I can hardly call myself a long-time fan, but I do have the childhood experience of playing the classic games.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
thatfukkenduck.png thatfukkenduck.png thatfukkenduck.png thatfukkenduck.png thatfukkenduck.png thatfukkenduck.png thatfukkenduck.png

so, what is the chance the PMBR decided and finalized the 5 clone engine slots ages ago, and only choose to pop into this thread every now and then for a quick laugh?

Last edited:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
View attachment 21778 View attachment 21778 View attachment 21778 View attachment 21778 View attachment 21778 View attachment 21778 View attachment 21778

so, what is the chance the PMBR decided and finalized the 5 clone engine slots ages ago, and only choose to pop into this thread every now and then for a quick laugh?
Couldn't tell you.
LoL The trolliing is real...

As a guy who's played Sonic 1 and those crappy Game Gear Sonic games all the way up to the great Sonic Colors and Sonic Generatios...I rather see Hyper Metal Sonic then anyone else! :D

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Throw my two cents in, as a kid I played all the sonics up to adventure battle 2, and when I was real small I liked Knuckles more, but looking back, tails is obviously way cooler :troll:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hmm I liked the design from before tho.
I made needed adjustments. Ninten is still taller than both Ness and Lucas, and the other costume I could see being a potential alt. The only reason I made these changes is to tie him closer to his original design to some extent, as to not deviate too far and lose the entire character in the redesign. The double stripe idea came from the sprite of Ninten having a single yellow stripe across his shirt. I am aware of hardware limitations, but it was a very distinguishable trait related to his in game look. I combined that concept with the White / Red stripe shirt idea and this was the outcome. The hat is actually a modified Mario cap tilted to the side.

He just added in a little bit of

Actually, it was Mario as I said above. But this works too. Ninten confirmed Bison Tier.

Malion

Smash Ace
I made needed adjustments. Ninten is still taller than both Ness and Lucas, and the other costume I could see being a potential alt. The only reason I made these changes is to tie him closer to his original design to some extent, as to not deviate too far and lose the entire character in the redesign. The double stripe idea came from the sprite of Ninten having a single yellow stripe across his shirt. I am aware of hardware limitations, but it was a very distinguishable trait related to his in game look. I combined that concept with the White / Red stripe shirt idea and this was the outcome. The hat is actually a modified Mario cap tilted to the side.
Maybe you're right. I mean there's no way he'll get confused for ness now.

I'll probably draw a comparison group sketch tomorrow with the new design.

StanHarford

Smash Rookie
+1 - Skull Kid
+1 - Krystal
+1 - Bowser Jr.
+1 - Black Shadow & Ganondorf
+1 - King K. Rool

+1/2 - Paper Mario
+1/2 - Waluigi
+1/2 - Masked Man/Claus
+1/2 - Saki Amamiya
+1/2 - Ridley

+0 - Pichu

profetylen

Smash Rookie
Speaking of various characters and what not, here's a draft to a Kamek moveset: (Because Mario bros. need more rep.!!)

Neutral B: (inspired by Yoshi's Island)
Similar to Pikachu's forward special. Kamek uses uses his broom to charge forward. The longer the charge, to more momentum he gains. Kamek can also steer slightly up and down. If charged fully, he lets his shrinking spell rain down beneath him. Anyone hit by the spell, get shrunk for a short time.

Forward B:
Kamek casts a somewhat slowly traveling spell using his wand. Can be angeled 45 degrees up or down and damages enemies upon hit.

Up B (Inspired by Super Mario World / Yoshi's Island):
Teleport, like Mewtwo's teleport, but maybe a little quicker and with shorter range. Teleporting into his own Forward B spell makes Kamek big for a short time.

Down B (Inspired by Super Mario Brothers 3 (the Allstars version))
Kamek uses his magic to summon a reverse mushroom item as found in the battle mode of Super Mario Bros. 3 in Super Mario Allstars. The mushroom can be thrown at an enemy, and if hit, the enemy swaps position with Kamek. I have no idea how powerful this will be, but depending on its effectiveness, the time it takes for Kamek to summon it can be adjusted. I'd imagine it being good for recoveries.

For all A-attacks, I'd imagine Kamek using his broom and wand as a fighting sticks.

I'd also imagine one of the grabs involving a tour with the broom.
So, what do you guys think? What's missing and what's interesting? This is my first attempt at a moveset, so all criticism is welcome. Also, I'm not particularly good at PM as get around to playing it too seldomly (still a HUGE fan, though), so maybe I've failed to realize some issues with this moveset and in that case, I'm glad if they get pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom