• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New competitive Melee guy here!

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

So after all this thinking, I decided to only play Smash 4 and Melee at a high skill level (or competitively). 64, Brawl and Project M (not even an official game) are for fun. So in Smash 4, I main :4mario:and:4feroy:along with:4wario2:as a secondary. However, I wanted to main different characters in Melee, just to not mess up my gameplay with my other characters I mained. So after choosing my characters (which were between:4mario::4falcon::4marth::4falco::4drmario:), I decided to only focus on :4marth:(main) and :4falcon:(secondary) in Melee (I put Smash 4 icons just because it's much more updated and better character or icons design). These two characters are the ones that I enjoy the most in Melee. I enjoyed Marth because of his reward for proper spacing and landing Ken Combos. As for Falcon, well, it's mostly Falcon Punches, Sacred Combos and knee of justice finishers. So I wanted to focus on Marth first. As a new Melee competitive player, what should I start to learn first? Should I learn how to use mobility options correctly (wavedashing and wavelanding)? Should I practice L-cancelling? Basically, I want to know the most important steps on how to master a character and the game mechanics in Melee. After Marth, I'll move on to Falcon. Need your help, guys! Trying to become better in Melee, but this game is just SO HARD to control!

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Hi guys,

So after all this thinking, I decided to only play Smash 4 and Melee at a high skill level (or competitively). 64, Brawl and Project M (not even an official game) are for fun. So in Smash 4, I main :4mario:and:4feroy:along with:4wario2:as a secondary. However, I wanted to main different characters in Melee, just to not mess up my gameplay with my other characters I mained. So after choosing my characters (which were between:4mario::4falcon::4marth::4falco::4drmario:), I decided to only focus on :4marth:(main) and :4falcon:(secondary) in Melee (I put Smash 4 icons just because it's much more updated and better character or icons design). These two characters are the ones that I enjoy the most in Melee. I enjoyed Marth because of his reward for proper spacing and landing Ken Combos. As for Falcon, well, it's mostly Falcon Punches, Sacred Combos and knee of justice finishers. So I wanted to focus on Marth first. As a new Melee competitive player, what should I start to learn first? Should I learn how to use mobility options correctly (wavedashing and wavelanding)? Should I practice L-cancelling? Basically, I want to know the most important steps on how to master a character and the game mechanics in Melee. After Marth, I'll move on to Falcon. Need your help, guys! Trying to become better in Melee, but this game is just SO HARD to control!
Wavedashing, Dash dancing, wave landing, short hopping, fast falling, l canceling, all stuff you need to learn as a beginner.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You also need to work on figuring out the survival/combo-escaping inputs in each game, as Melee uses DI and Sm4sh used Vectoring (but now uses an odd combination of DI and Vectoring). Also, if you use Melee DI in Sm4sh while going horizontally, Sakurai made it so that you die earlier than if you used no DI. Thanks, Sakurai.

Kulty

Smash Ace
You also need to work on figuring out the survival/combo-escaping inputs in each game, as Melee uses DI and Sm4sh used Vectoring (but now uses an odd combination of DI and Vectoring). Also, if you use Melee DI in Sm4sh while going horizontally, Sakurai made it so that you die earlier than if you used no DI. Thanks, Sakurai.
Thanks! I just have to check on Youtube to see how to DI in Melee. I know it's different in Melee compared to Smash 4. I was actually the Smash 4 DI in Melee, and I actually died sooner. Will have to check, thanks!

Kulty

Smash Ace

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
Practice movement a lot!
Movement is key for marth in the neutral and practicing it really just makes you feel comfortable with your character
(With movent I mean dash dancing just out of your opponents range, wavedashing, cancelling run with crouch, etch

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys,

Check out @ SleepyK SleepyK 's guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_6o5NHvI9P8-qHp2M8w1gDzL_-JNonEE81Mh4ulY1PY/edit
If you're serious you should have everything down by 2 years

Top Bottom