• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Controller?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Does anyone know if the free Gamecube plus official brand new controller thing at Gamestop for 30 is still um.. existant?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Do what I did, and take Trail's controller when he leaves it at the place he is being housed at.

It's nice and broken in and everything =D

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
If you search up "official gamecube controller" on ebay, you can buy some for as low as 10$ and they're official too!

Mindgames Son!

Smash Cadet
:[ I can't find anymore on the nintendo shop so I have to buy a....a......THIRD PART CONTROLLER! D: Can someone help me find an official one because nintendo isn't selling anymore and my parents don't trust Amazon and Ebay D:.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Watch out for the eBay GC controllers. Most of the cheap ones look exactly like an official controller, but don't have the "Nintendo Gamecube" written in the middle above the start button. I've heard that they aren't as durable as the official ones with the words. I bought the white gamecube controller, and I love it. Breaking in a brand new controller takes a bit of time, but its well worth it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
they aren't banned but they're heavily discouraged due to said frequency issues.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Watch out for the eBay GC controllers. Most of the cheap ones look exactly like an official controller, but don't have the "Nintendo Gamecube" written in the middle above the start button. I've heard that they aren't as durable as the official ones with the words. I bought the white gamecube controller, and I love it. Breaking in a brand new controller takes a bit of time, but its well worth it.
That is why you search "official gamecube controller" there are lots of ones that say nintendo gamecube on the picture

scorekid100

Smash Apprentice
whatever you do don't buy imitations! no madcatz or gamestop crap they break so easily(I'm speaking from experience!). Ebay's your safest bet, or if you can find a used nintendo one then I would buy that(that's what I did and it works fine).

Skrlx

Smash Champion
show wavebirds some love guys.
P.S. can somebody fill me in on this wavebird frequency issue at tournaments?
I use a wavebird cause my wired controller got broken and i'm planning to go to a tournament soon.

D.B.K.

Smash Ace
NNID
tinyfuses
personally I like the mad cats version of the controller.
very longlasting
Do you live in some sort of alternate dimension? Every Mad Cat I've owned broke after a month.

Play-Asia has the white controllers for $35 or so.

Grunt

Smash Master
show wavebirds some love guys.
P.S. can somebody fill me in on this wavebird frequency issue at tournaments?
I use a wavebird cause my wired controller got broken and i'm planning to go to a tournament soon.
you'll probably be the only person with a wavebird, so don't worry about it, just make sure you have new batteries.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Interesting thread......

I'm thinking of buying the new official white classic GCN with the longer cord but I'm really curious about some of the issues people have brought up. I'm really picky about controllers and they take such a long time to break in and completely alter the way you play.

I have a trusty old platinum GCN cont. but the stick is acting up a little. It's been in a perfect sweetspot for around a year or so but now I'm starting to have some problems with the x-axis. I'm thinking of opening it up to reseat the stick or at least clean it.

I only play melee, so to any hardcore melee players.....would you recommend the new white controller? I remember when I first got my other one, took a loooong time to break in to where I wanted it. I feel like I could break in another one semi quickly but I'm really wondering about the difference in components.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
fixing/combining controllers is relatively simple

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
the problem with the White Controller L/R buttons depends mainly on how you hit them. If you press them dead center down or inward and down you won't have any issues. If you tend to press them outward and down (like use the upward curve of the back part of the button, opposed the the trough in the middle) then it will start sticking.

I ended up just getting a clear back which solved it, I'm hoping for a teal back one day.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I got my old school black controller. Actually took a sharpie to try and make it all black, but it didn't stick. :[

Then the ink dust residue bull**** wound up getting inside and ****ing up my c-stick.

But I fixed it :D

nikkroy

Smash Rookie
Do you live in some sort of alternate dimension? Every Mad Cat I've owned broke after a month.

Play-Asia has the white controllers for $35 or so.
Completely agree... I've had two Mad Catz, both of which have broken. Plus the buttons are smaller and its harder to use.

I have to say original Nintendo GC controllers FTW... I've been using my platinum one for a couple years now and its good as new. Used ones are really easy to find, and usually they're in pretty good shape.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I bought two of the controllers you just described. They broke after 2 months. I WAS PLAYING BRAWL WITH THEM. they're really bad for Melee and don't feel anything like the official ones.

SleepyK

different gc controllers all have different internal parts. the problem with the molds platinum and after (meaning only the platinum and white ones) is that their trigger chassis aren't designed as well as the older controllers, so there are problems with them.
easily solved by swapping out the backs.

arcnatural, you should look into painting controllers :o

SleepyK

D1 is secretly a white supremist
jk

btw the white ones are super easy to paint and you can even dye them more easily than other colors using regular plastic dying techniques. no need to sand them down that much since they're white anyway

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i have an all white and i wanna get a black back that would be sick

i might also replace the cord. the long cord is annoying at tournies

Top Bottom