• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New/Creative Competitive Stage Elements

Massive

Smash Champion
The issue with slanted platforms/stages is that while wavedashing while "climbing" is easy, the other way around is quite hard and that makes options like WDoos really hard to use, which as always, is a plus for spacies more so than the others.
This is true, it'd definitely be another layer to the metagame that we don't have right now.

However, I've still tossed around the idea of adding imperceivably slanted ledges to current tourney stages soley to make bowser/DK more viable and to fix battlefielding.

I've also been considering a smashville like stage where the moving platform is made of slip-n-slidy UFO material (in addition to a regular smashville clone).

Bones0

Smash Legend
Find out how to make stages move really fast without speeding up the characters. I want to see people struggle to hit their opponent who is simply standing still on a KJ64 plat. I want Brinstar Depths to become a new Race to the Finish minigame. I want you to put the "Ride" in "Rainbow Ride." I want Bullet Bills constantly raining down onto Peach's Castle. I want Big Blue to cause death because the landing lag from touching the track was enough to whisk you off the side of the screen. Most of all, I want to see Randall zooming around YS like it's the Daytona 500 as players make futile attemps to land on him.

Also make the wind on DL more powerful, and have it go past the ledges. Also, make the Klaptraps on DK stages appear at frightening rates and jump up above the stage. Also, steal the Pokemon models off of PokeFloats and use them to make new Pokemon appear out of Pokeballs. Also, make Goldeen an instant OHKO like it should be.

That's enough for now, I guess. If you could have all those done by Saturday, that'd be great. I'd like to take all of these codes to a tournament. Thanks.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I'd enjoy seeing a stage with walls. Some of the combos or movement options that are possible on certain PS transformations are really exciting. I don't really know how this could plausibly work without removing the side/bottom blast lines as an option though. Maybe have a decent-sized wall on one side and not the other?

A thought that I've had as well is to create an entirely different sort of competition, just for the shenanigans. Make your own Break the Targets stage with 50-something targets, or targets that respawn over time, and have teams go into it and the first team to X-many targets wins. Make a legit "King of the Hill" type stage that records how long someone's been in/on a specific area. Just crazy crap.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I'd enjoy seeing a stage with walls. Some of the combos or movement options that are possible on certain PS transformations are really exciting. I don't really know how this could plausibly work without removing the side/bottom blast lines as an option though. Maybe have a decent-sized wall on one side and not the other?

A thought that I've had as well is to create an entirely different sort of competition, just for the shenanigans. Make your own Break the Targets stage with 50-something targets, or targets that respawn over time, and have teams go into it and the first team to X-many targets wins. Make a legit "King of the Hill" type stage that records how long someone's been in/on a specific area. Just crazy crap.
Walls are cool but if you add them you also add Fox infinites, so, yeah, that's a problem if the wall is always there.

Edit : Although one way to fix this would be to make the wall airborne, as close to the ground as possible, but still high enough that shine infinites can't happen.

kd-

Smash Lord
Smashville.
This. Also hacked Green Greens.

How about if we replace randal with the claptrap >:3
This is hilarious.

Find out how to make stages move really fast without speeding up the characters. I want to see people struggle to hit their opponent who is simply standing still on a KJ64 plat. I want Brinstar Depths to become a new Race to the Finish minigame. I want you to put the "Ride" in "Rainbow Ride." I want Bullet Bills constantly raining down onto Peach's Castle. I want Big Blue to cause death because the landing lag from touching the track was enough to whisk you off the side of the screen. Most of all, I want to see Randall zooming around YS like it's the Daytona 500 as players make futile attemps to land on him.

Also make the wind on DL more powerful, and have it go past the ledges. Also, make the Klaptraps on DK stages appear at frightening rates and jump up above the stage. Also, steal the Pokemon models off of PokeFloats and use them to make new Pokemon appear out of Pokeballs. Also, make Goldeen an instant OHKO like it should be.

That's enough for now, I guess. If you could have all those done by Saturday, that'd be great. I'd like to take all of these codes to a tournament. Thanks.
Don't forget Adventure Mode Corneria round 2 where the Arwings shoot four times as much from about every angle.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
couldn't you use the lava to stall under the stage?
and don't spikes send through lava?
Not for long, eventually the lava would send you back up to the stage or kill you off the sides

The only major issue with Randall is that it could or could not be on your side, but knowing where it is should not be a problem.
If you have 4 Randalls cycling so that there is at least one out on each side all the time, it becomes a matter of only knowing where it is, as opposed to hoping you're on the correct side (or playing only on the correct side) + knowing where it is.
All that does is make it easier for lazy people to not remember the time pattern. I'd rather get rid of randall than have one constantly on each side.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
No i mean... Under the stage...
Unless its yoshi's with lava.
In which case you could stall with wall techs.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
No i mean... Under the stage...
Unless its yoshi's with lava.
In which case you could stall with wall techs.
It would have to work the same way as brinstar I suppose...basically can you guys remake brinstar in a less ******** way so that it's maybe viable again?
You sir, have single handedly fixed melee. Kudos.

I know some of these have been mentioned before, but I'm just going to list my ideas on what we could do with the current stages.

Yoshi's Story with no Shyguys and either no Randall, fixed Randal, two Randalls, or two fixed Randalls. Where the case with two randalls would have one going clockwise and the other counterclockwise.

Battlefield with normal edges.

Pokemonstadium with no transformations.

Battlefield with no top platform.

Dreamland with no wind.

Fountain of Dreams with no reflections (or whatever it is that causes performance issues).

Fountain of Dreams with a fixed pattern of platform movement or no platform movement.

Kongo Jungle with a fixed pattern of the barrel or no barrel.

Kongo Jungle scaled down a bit so it fits better with melee.

I've also wondered what it would be like if we changed the blast zones on some stages.
i've had a lot of these same thoughts, particularly the kongo jungle ones - i like the stage, but it feels like i can't take it seriously for some reason, probably because of the barrel and because it's slightly too big... and/or the rotating platforms in the middle. hm...

(i think fixing the platforms in place [suspended in air] in FoD like in the project melee hack is fine probably.. the slightly unbalanced stage effect is kind of cool in a sense. also, for what it's worth, it seems there's an affectionate appreciation for the "randomness" of randall [even though his path is set].. i kind of like his motion path. also... not sure why this paragraph is in parenthesis...)

speaking of - not that i like the stage or would like it - but would anyone be interested in a shrunken yoshi's island 64 without the clouds? just a thought.

lol bones

also thumbs up for green greens being tourney legal somehow. i just really like that stage.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Fix termina bay. Love that stage, maybe lose the bottom platforms and put tingle in the middle so he can act as a platform without his balloon popping instantly, maybe make it take a few hits. Increase the Balloon size. Add ledges to the stage, maybe make the water like japes.
:phone:

Eggm

Smash Hero

Walls are cool but if you add them you also add Fox infinites, so, yeah, that's a problem if the wall is always there.

Edit : Although one way to fix this would be to make the wall airborne, as close to the ground as possible, but still high enough that shine infinites can't happen.
Add walls with a gap at the bottom (like the height of mewtwo?)

Edit: I guess they wouldn't be a true wall at that point... :p

AXE 09

Smash Master
How about a Pokemon Stadium with non-crappy stage transformations? The four transformations can have different tournament-style platform layouts. This means character advantage would likely change throughout the match, an interesting concept. One transformation could be akin to Battlefield, another could have one very long platform, a third could have moving platforms, and the fourth I guess could be completely flat.
I like this idea

:phone:

Make a floor like KJ64's, but invert it to something like this:

_____.<'¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯'>._____
Hm...

alternatively, the way it is now is perfect for samus' missiles if she stands in the middle...(and maybe that's all..)

is that kind hill too much? i understand a slight drop-off curvature to the ledges (like discussed before), but would a hill that essentially splits the stage in half be fun to play on? i imagine people might camp on ether side, since it forces the other player to move above the opponent if they want to attack. i suppose there might be a lot of wd back dash-attacking or something.

somewhat related... what about making an uneven stage, that doesn't give one side a distinct advantage over the other, but that doesn't have stage symmetry?

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I second both of these.

This is not that complicated people.
Often the least creative choice is the best one.
The community already has something that looks pretty and is uncomplicated without any substance. It's called Brawl. :p Sales + lack of creativity =/= best idea. I don't like this analogy.

Yes, some of the relatively uncomplicated ideas are very good ones, but why not experiment a little if given the chance to do so?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hm...

alternatively, the way it is now is perfect for samus' missiles if she stands in the middle...(and maybe that's all..)

is that kind hill too much? i understand a slight drop-off curvature to the ledges (like discussed before), but would a hill that essentially splits the stage in half be fun to play on? i imagine people might camp on ether side, since it forces the other player to move above the opponent if they want to attack. i suppose there might be a lot of wd back dash-attacking or something.

somewhat related... what about making an uneven stage, that doesn't give one side a distinct advantage over the other, but that doesn't have stage symmetry?
Well instead of Samus being able to missile perfectly from the center, she'll be able to missile perfectly from the sides. ;)

I don't think it's too much as long as it's the same scale as KJ64. The slants play a role, but it's not like they promote the same sort of camping as seen on Corneria. You can't just camp in the middle of KJ64 to abuse the low center, and if the sides are the part that are low, I think it would add an interesting dynamic of the low areas being advantageous, but they are near the ledge so it sort of counteracts it. People want to control the center of the stage, but the center of the stage is more king of the hill-esque and might not necessarily be the best position (but again, I don't think the positions will ever result in people camping or anything because it's only a subtle advantage, not an actively abusable one).

Also I'd like to see KJ64 modded itself to make it impossible to circle camp. It wouldn't even be hard. Just pull the side plats down to about half or 3/4ths their current height, and make the center platforms not go as high in their rotation. People will still probably try to play campy, but at least it won't mean instant-timeouts because the gap between running across the bottom and jumping across the top would be shortened enough that even the slowest characters could cover both.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^Platform moving or unmoving?

I was thinking about something like Smashville with a platform on the bottom center for increased badassery during combos and a new emphasis on edge guarding. Unfortunately the only characters this would really effect are spacies and puff/peach. Marth wouldn't make it there unless he was facing a ******.

Maybe the top left quarter of Hyrule with some adjustments would be cool, I think that might be in PM, not sure.

NNID
dansalvato
As I learn more about stage hacking, I hope to import Smashville and (stationary) Lylat Cruise to Melee. Smashville would be imported in its entirety while the Lylat Cruise platform would replace the Battlefield platform.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
So Battlefield with the same platforms but slanted stage? Cause I liked LYlat cruise but those platforms are god awful.

NNID
dansalvato
So Battlefield with the same platforms but slanted stage? Cause I liked LYlat cruise but those platforms are god awful.
Nope, Lylat platforms. They're advantageous or disadvantageous depending on the character, making it an interesting stage.

Top Bottom