• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW DISCOVERY? Size of controller grips.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
I just purchased 4 GC controllers for $35 cdn...
1 purple/clear
1 black
1 silver
1 purple

I tested them all, and felt a difference in grip... so I compared the sides of the controllers. The purple and silver controllers have a slightly BIGGER grip then the other ones. With my small hands I prefer the black / purple/clear controller. Isn't this odd? lol

EDIT OMG I included pics!

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I just purchased 4 GC controllers for $35 cdn...
1 purple/clear
1 black
1 silver
1 purple

I tested them all, and felt a difference in grip... so I compared the sides of the controllers. The purple and silver controllers have a slightly BIGGER grip then the other ones. With my small hands I prefer the black / purple/clear controller. Isn't this odd? lol
If one was bigger than the other wouldn't you have a problem graphting them together? I have a orange top clear back controller and a black top white back contoller and they feel the same to me.:ohwell:

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I think that this guy might actually be on to something. I have a silver controller with which I learned the game and I love it to pieces. My girlfriend bought a black controller, I gave it a spin and it was like WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN and something about it was definitely different. I can't play on that thing, and it may be because my hands are unusually large.
Because they really are.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
okay i added pics look at hoe the bottom of the purple is larger/wider then the black bottom!
i can tell this from feeling the controller!

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i thought you were crazy at first, but i tested it.

my black controllers have a smaller grip! i have huge hands, but i strangely prefer the black ones. ive become accustom to how my middle finger rests.

with that aside, i do not want my 4 little controllers to be judged by the color of their plastic, but by the content of their comfortability.

p.s. where did u get the controllers?

keeper

Smash Champion
Maybe they were made at different times. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo changed the mold over time.

Samochan

Smash Master
Black controllers are a bit lighter too and thus don't feel quite as sturdy as the purple ones. The stick also feels very different to me, so I'm not comfortable with black ones. Purple and transparent and silver all the way. :3

Prawn

Smash Master
How do these compare to the brand new playasia white ones?

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if its a color difference or a time difference. I had two black controllers, one very old and the other rather new, the old one had decent L and R buttons but a garbage control stick while the other was reversed, decent control stick but a broken R button.

Anyway, I tried to make a hybrid controller with the back of one and the front of the other but found they wouldnt fit together, because one had a larger "compartment" for the L and R buttons, rather then just being sitting on springs, the L and R had a metal "arm" that went up and down with the buttons and an additional piece of plastic seperating them from the main board. Interestingly, it was the older controller with the beefed up L and R compartments.

Not sure if that makes sense, OR if it in anyway explains this find.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I tested it out too. My white, clear back, and silver controller all feel the same, but my black contoller feels smaller for some reason. My black controller also is a little different on the inside so I think that it's a older version of the controller.

joeplicate

Smash Master
I'm not sure if its a color difference or a time difference. I had two black controllers, one very old and the other rather new, the old one had decent L and R buttons but a garbage control stick while the other was reversed, decent control stick but a broken R button.

Anyway, I tried to make a hybrid controller with the back of one and the front of the other but found they wouldnt fit together, because one had a larger "compartment" for the L and R buttons, rather then just being sitting on springs, the L and R had a metal "arm" that went up and down with the buttons and an additional piece of plastic seperating them from the main board. Interestingly, it was the older controller with the beefed up L and R compartments.

Not sure if that makes sense, OR if it in anyway explains this find.
there are a lot of differences between controllers, i know what you're talking about with the triggers. you can unscrew the plastic faceplate, though, and swap out the parts.

also, differences between controllers like you described in the first paragraph are usually due to the different ways that you break them in.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Wow nice, I've never noticed this before. I've always had a thing for my silver controller over my Wavebird and Purple ones.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
I think that this guy might actually be on to something. I have a silver controller with which I learned the game and I love it to pieces. My girlfriend bought a black controller, I gave it a spin and it was like WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN and something about it was definitely different. I can't play on that thing, and it may be because my hands are unusually large.
Because they really are.
Haha your girlfriend bought you a controller? Nice.

Yeah my new silver controller is definitely sturdier than my old black one.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
Well, you get +1 to Pro Points for noticing this. Also, +1 to OCD points (not related to Pro Points).

Anyways, in response to Lobelia Mk. IV, there's a reason it's BYOC to everything. Your controller will feel different than anyone else's. Or, at least, mine do. And, if you've ever seen M.Z's controller... ugh. No one else would EVER play with that.

But, yeah. Cool spot. :D I don't really care too much, since it's not a MASSIVE difference, but, still. Nice work.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
hey, mdz's controller is a lot like mine.

the mold for controllers definitely changed over time and with different colors.
I think pockyd mentioned on the hub that the silver ones have weird triggers

oakleaf

Smash Cadet
This post made me doubt. I got in my livingroom and compared the controllers. It still wasn't clear whether or not there really was a difference. I then tried measuring it with some instruments, but I couldn't make accurate measures because of the shape of the controller. Finally, I decided to weight the two controllers. They have the same weight, which is 198g (not including the wire).

Of course this is not proving firmly that they are the same shape, because it could be that they got different shapes weighting the same, but I doubt it. I think the difference is in the eyes of the viewer. All the photos the OP submitted show the controller side-by-side in non-identical positions. That biases the comparaison.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
For some reason, every tourney I go to, everyone has these controllers that are like orange or black or pink or some cool color. I'm the only one with a purple controller =/

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
the mold for controllers definitely changed over time and with different colors.
I think pockyd mentioned on the hub that the silver ones have weird triggers
I have a silver controller, and the triggers *are* weird
I need to get a tri-wing screwdriver and get at them

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
i dotn think this is like this.. i think u see it smaller because of the black color.. like when u put a black shirt on, u loo skinnyer. is written like that isnt it?

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
What about the white ones? How large are they in comparison to the rest? They're like in a league of their own, so I imagine they're the most different. That doesn't make sense... Do you see what I mean lol?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LOL the pics in the OP look like sexy positions for controllers... i remember seeing a series of pics like that with 3 controllers posed in suggestive positions

LLDL

Smash Hero
Platinum controller grips are superior to the purple and black grips sadly.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i happen to really like the black and orange ones

i dont know if the grips on the orange are any different though

ive been able to play well on all colors of standard controller haha

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
orange got the classic triggers

the newer ones get stuck easier

overswarm told me once that there was a difference in size in the controllers, i looked at a couple and for a second was like "whoa youre right" but then thought that they actually were the same in the end

but everybody seems to be in agreement here so maybe it is true, although i've seen practically every combination of front and back plates at tournaments so unless they differ in other dimensions without changing their perimeters then that wouldnt be possible

joeplicate

Smash Master
if you have a triwing screwdriver, open those *****es up, then scrape out the back of the plastic holding the trigger. they get stuck when you press down and back because there's not enough room, but you can hollow it out a little bit (even with the same screwdriver) and it'll be good.

the more you know

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I love my 2 purple ones. My main one is silver on the bottom now.

they have diff controller models. they just need to be the same to fuse[or close eough]

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
Because they really are.
Wow I just figured that out for myself last night. I usually play with a silver controller. But i got a new black one, and It always feels like my right hand loses the grip.

Hmm.

Figgz

Smash Cadet
Because they really are.

Mine too * shrugs*

Top Bottom