• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW EXTREMELY USEFUL Technique for DK (VID)

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
people are seriously underestimating the shere difficulty of this technique.
this is an extremely technical maneuver (by brawl standards) and i doubt most of the people here could pull this off in a heated match when the want to.

i'm going to experiment with it, but for now i donnot get it more than 1/4th the time.

dk1337, your opinions are completely illogical from anything the smash community credits. you should reconsider some of you're bias beliefs on characters, techniques, and competitiveness.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I do not think this is a new thing for DK (well at the very least I already knew about for a while), but I never thought about using it after tripping them with dtilt though so good find. I never really implemented this into my game because they do not suffer footstool lag if they are in an attack or block animation (even cooldown lag) so it was very hard to pull off. I also know that some characters lag less from footstools than others. From what I remember trying a few months ago Snake was able to powershield footstool to side b while Metaknight, Marth, and Bowser couldn't block. With DK if you side b and let go of the control stick quickly enough you won't need to wavebounce the side b to hit (still hard to do though).

ClimbthatIce

Smash Rookie
it is good but it just seems like alot of work trying to master it just to barely get any use out of it...trying to put urself in a situation in which it is actually useful is going to throw off ur game =/

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I think the troll has stopped.....
And nice find, but I doubt I'd be able to pull this of in the heat of battle, but thanks for contributing to DK's metagame anyway

null55

Smash Master
itsthebigfoot. really? you are seriously going to debate me on this? ok...lets go.

First of all, just because i think ike is broken does not mean i cannot beat him. the truth is, i beat ikes all the time, and i don't feel i have to prove it to you...though i would love to kick you're *** online somtime to prove my point (though you seem to think that isnt fair...so what is fair, hmmm? i can't exactly go to where u live and compete with u). Nevertheless, it is you who is ********, since you can't even focus on the topic at hand, which is the practicality of the combo you are supporting.

and no, tiers do not exist (apart from MK Snake and Ike) because Brawl is game based largely on skill. There are certain characters that are inherently good against others, but being that such a concept is circular, there will always be a character which is good against another.

Secondly, even if one character IS naturally better at defeating another, that natural ability can be nullified by HAVING MORE SKILL.
(God I lurked on these boards just in time)

Besides MK and Snake the game is balanced? Wtf? You're saying that Captain Falcon is just as good as G&W or Dedede? Are you ********?

And after reading this, no one should have responded to this noob, that's including me, for the sake of the actual topic of this thread, but buddy you have lost ALL... and may I repeat... ALL credibility when you said Ike is broken. The fact that you made such a statement and continued arguing displays how unfit you are for rational conversation. Now go make a new account to forget your shame.

Alright. No more responding to idiots (please attempt to pertain to the original topic) below this line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Quick question, can you shield a footstool jump? Meaning will you still bounce off of the enemy even if he has his shield up? I haven't fought too many people who do grounded footstools, so I'm not sure. Overall it seems a little situational, as in something that can get old quickly in a match and be avoided by your enemy when he wises up to it. But it has good "shock" factor as most people don't expect to get footstooled on stage. This has its uses.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I recommend we call DK's version of this Headrush because he headbutts them and because the music in the founding video is Rush.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
This has potential to be very useful for DK. I think that it is pretty hard to do though. I tried it for about 10 minutes earlier today though in training and only got it off three times.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I just practiced this for about 30 minutes straight and I can get it pretty consistently now. Can't wait to try this tomorrow at a tourney.

ClimbthatIce

Smash Rookie
CJ Love u need to chill...if someone is being ******** let them be...who cares.

anyway =/

ragnar0k don't go into a tourney just thinking how your going to pull off ur strategy...premindsets ruin anyones game...but w/e

er...jogues street y r u in here ? lol k....

I still havent seen anyone pull this off in an actual fight....would anyone mind posting an actuall serious fight and using it? I do see its potential effectivness....not only for DK but for every char...but if u just do it in trainging its sorta useless...

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I still havent seen anyone pull this off in an actual fight....would anyone mind posting an actuall serious fight and using it? I do see its potential effectivness....not only for DK but for every char...but if u just do it in trainging its sorta useless...
Before you do something in a fight you have to practice it and incorporate it into your game. I posted this technique 2 days ago. Be patient, vids will come in time, hopefully lol

ClimbthatIce

Smash Rookie
O yeah sry lol...i just want to see it in action...might be going out on a limb here but this could seriously become a requirement for every player...possibly...

ClimbthatIce

Smash Rookie
lol just cause? i know its really circumstancial...that y i said it was a small possibility...

wow...=/

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I think you're overlooking the fact that this tech combined with a 9 wind punch will kill metaknight at what? 30%? And it can effectively punish his Up-B.

Free 20% damage attacks that combo into KO moves are never overrated, get some techskill kids.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I think you're overlooking the fact that this tech combined with a 9 wind punch will kill metaknight at what? 30%? And it can effectively punish his Up-B.

Free 20% damage attacks that combo into KO moves are never overrated, get some techskill kids.
Let's put this in perspective. This is situational at best. What MK is going to let you approach him w/o an attack to jump on his head, and get pounded into the ground for a D Paunch to the face. None. All they have to do is use a tilt. I don't believe anyone has used this in a match yet, have they? I mean, if your gonna try to use this at a tourney....GL...M2K would rip you a new ******* if you tried to jump on his head.

This is an interesting find, but nothing I would call a tech, that is just my opinion. It's a game mechanic basically. Hate to be the downer on the party here, but this is what it actually is.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
In theory this is a nice technique, but the word situational has never been truer. I played with this not too long ago when i was messing with B-sticking DK. I tried to find a good way to incorporate this into my playstyle but there just seems to be very little way that this will be a ground breaking technique. I could be wrong of course but with a slow character like DK footstooling just isn't a strategy that can be used on an average occasion unless the opponent would just give you that second of stillness.

On the other hand faster characters can do stuff with this. Sonic for example has a few nifty footstool combos that I've had pulled on me online. So, I dunno...This tech is just too situational for DK to be anything other than very very situational.

MBmoney

Smash Cadet
In theory this is a nice technique, but the word situational has never been truer. I played with this not too long ago when i was messing with B-sticking DK. I tried to find a good way to incorporate this into my playstyle but there just seems to be very little way that this will be a ground breaking technique. I could be wrong of course but with a slow character like DK footstooling just isn't a strategy that can be used on an average occasion unless the opponent would just give you that second of stillness.

On the other hand faster characters can do stuff with this. Sonic for example has a few nifty footstool combos that I've had pulled on me online. So, I dunno...This tech is just too situational for DK to be anything other than very very situational.
Ya, Adam discovered this 4 months ago with dk, and told me about. We tried out some things and overall we found it extremely situational and basically pointless. Chances of actually getting it are slim to none, and you end up leaving yourself open for attacks if it doesn't work, which it most likely won't.

Chaco

Never Logs In

Exactly, I see more use of this with Bornic than anyone.

And if you miss this on a MK, you could take a grounded Shuttle Loop to the face.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Exactly, I see more use of this with Bornic than anyone.

And if you miss this on a MK, you could take a grounded Shuttle Loop to the face.

In any fighting game if you don't master a technique it could actually be worse for you if you mess it up, or don't use it correctly. If you do it right, you wont get a shuttle loop in the face(TRIP to FS to forward B) I'm just sayin'

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Can't they just roll away or attack after they trip? It seems useful, but I dunno.

DUB

Smash Lord
Can't they just roll away or attack after they trip? It seems useful, but I dunno.
Maybe. It might come down to how long the character's trippping animation is. Pikachu has one of the longest so it's probably defenite on pika no matter what he does.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
To play DK at 100% of his potential, this technique is necessary. Even if this technique can only be used in a few situations, it would still be advantageous to use this technique during those situations. People saying it is too hard to pull off effectively in an actual match underestimate the competitive gaming community. In a fighting game, no technique is too hard to master unless it is impossible to begin with.

I'm going to practice it more later.

ClimbthatIce

Smash Rookie
To play DK at 100% of his potential, this technique is necessary. Even if this technique can only be used in a few situations, it would still be advantageous to use this technique during those situations. People saying it is too hard to pull off effectively in an actual match underestimate the competitive gaming community. In a fighting game, no technique is too hard to master unless it is impossible to begin with.

I'm going to practice it more later.
Jingo, if u watched to video u shouldve noticed that every character can do this...saying DK needs it is like saying every other character needs it...guarenteed ud be hard pressed to find someone else on here that agrees.

and for these "few" situations...lets try almost none...most combat happens in the air and this requires someone to get comfy right next to u :ohwell:...

err...y practice a nearly impossible technique if its nearly impossible to occur in a fight...? Not saying its nearly impossible but cmon...i main IC and chaingrabbing is the **** but if i could almost never pull it off i wouldnt use it...common sense...but if anyone wants to shut me up they can post a real fight video :ohwell:...good luck.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
You can do this on someone that trips and dtilt trips all day. People saying that this is extremely situational must have forgot about it. This may not be the be all end all of AT's but some people are acting like it's worthless when it definitely isn't.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Jingo, if u watched to video u shouldve noticed that every character can do this...saying DK needs it is like saying every other character needs it...guarenteed ud be hard pressed to find someone else on here that agrees.

and for these "few" situations...lets try almost none...most combat happens in the air and this requires someone to get comfy right next to u :ohwell:...

err...y practice a nearly impossible technique if its nearly impossible to occur in a fight...? Not saying its nearly impossible but cmon...i main IC and chaingrabbing is the **** but if i could almost never pull it off i wouldnt use it...common sense...but if anyone wants to shut me up they can post a real fight video :ohwell:...good luck.
You can't generalize and say most combat happens in the air, take Snake, one of the best characters in the game. HIS aerial game is crap.

Also, MK player's love to spam D-tilt, F-tilt, and D-smash

Also, don't expect videos of this so soon in a real match. I mean, lets just say, in Melee, when some one presented Wave shining, if people wrote it off within 2 days of it being discovered because it wasn't taped in a real match it wouldn't of been known about today

Next time I go to a tourney I'll MM someone good, if I pull off the combo on someone like chillin, azen, Neo, forte, or ChuDat, and record it, will you believe it's good then?

ClimbthatIce

Smash Rookie
when i say most i mean over 50%...snakes nair is ok and snakes dair and bair arent crap =/...and in GeneERAL most characters have better air game then ground game...

and YES, yes i would believe it lol...i would be glad to be wrong =D

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice

Why could this not help every other character too? Just because DK isn't the only one who benefits from this technique you believe that it is useless? You obviously don't understand competitive gaming.

In the few situations where this technique can be used, it is apparent to me that it SHOULD be used because it is the most useful thing to pull out during those situations. Thats why I'm going to learn it. If IC's chaingrabs were near-impossible to perform, people would still learn how to perform them because they obviously improve IC's game. You'll probably see a video of this technique being used eventually, and just because you refuse to spend the time to learn this technique doesn't mean it has no use. This can be a free kill for Donkey Kong! How is that not useful?

IDK

Smash Lord
i like this discovery, but not the people replying and arguing about it.

Tujex

Smash Ace
DK has several attacks that trip, and when a player is tripped you can perform this. Not to mention that this may not be something you can spam every match, you never know when you'll get a shield spammer or an opponent who actually won't see this coming. If you can manage to pull it off, its darn near a free kill...

It's a tech for sure, whether its "situational" or not. Either way, the DK's who master this will be a notch above the DK's who can't perform it. So I'll take the time to learn its timing, so when the situation arises, I can use it perfectly.

ClimbthatIce

Smash Rookie
Why could this not help every other character too? Just because DK isn't the only one who benefits from this technique you believe that it is useless? You obviously don't understand competitive gaming.

In the few situations where this technique can be used, it is apparent to me that it SHOULD be used because it is the most useful thing to pull out during those situations. Thats why I'm going to learn it. If IC's chaingrabs were near-impossible to perform, people would still learn how to perform them because they obviously improve IC's game. You'll probably see a video of this technique being used eventually, and just because you refuse to spend the time to learn this technique doesn't mean it has no use. This can be a free kill for Donkey Kong! How is that not useful?
wtf...CAPS!...learn to disagree troll

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Never try this on Snake or D3. They can perfect shield DK's footstool to side b because they have less grounded footstool lag than other characters.

Top Bottom