• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Falco User

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hey, I'm a Jigglypuff and Marth main (much more Jigglypuff but whatever) and I decided to pick up a second, Falco. I have been playing a fair amount against a great Falco user named Sixflags (the best Falco on IGN, he is truly good) and so he got me interested into Falco. I'm just wondering if you guys have any basic tips right now, Falco isn't a very serious main for me right now but I would like to use him fairly well. I know he is of a completely different style than Marth or Jigglypuff, which is why I decided to use him (also so I could keep my melee mains the same, yeah I know, I was a little top tier motha****a in melee).

I am learning how to SH double laser moderately well, but I oftentimes put the second laser slightly too high. I'm also wondering how to implement it very well, I know it does wonders if the opponent is in the air right in front of you and you hit them with two lasers and then grab, F-smash, or some other free attack.

I am also wondering how to use the Sixillusion well (a trick Sixflags named after himself, although I am sure it has another name) where you B-side near the ground and have almost or no landing lag. I am wondering how to utilize this and how to set it up. Like can I SH a laser and then Sixillusion?

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
It's called Immediate Aerial Phantasm (IAP). It can be used for approaching or interrupting your opponent, amongst other things I guess. I'm not quite sure on it's potential. But look it up, there's a thread about it in the tips section.

SHDL are also useful at interrupting your opponent. More often than not, people use them for mindgames as well. You'll see a lot of players approach with SHDL too. There's a thread about these as well in the tips section.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
It's can be used for bouncing around the stage to camp better. Do a bunch of lasers, when they get too close and put you in an uncomfortable spot, IAP away. Whenever they get in the rhythm of shielding your lasers and crawling/walking forward to approach, is when you throw in an IAP to catch them off guard. That's probably main use for it - it can be used when you're reasonably far from them, and depending on where you do it from it can keep you far away from them when it's done (or give you time to get somewhere safe), so it's a camping tool.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
IAP increases your movement options. You can very quickly cover ground with it if you need to retreat or advance rapidly. It's also fantastic against opponents who think crouching will make them immune to your lasers.

SHDL is mostly used as a way to interrupt approaches, rather than deal twice as much damage. By firing two, they are forced to either stay grounded and eat a laser, short hop and eat a laser, or full hop and deal with Falco's beastly aerial game.

You want to fire the first laser JUST as he starts to fall back down so that the second one will come out at the same height as it would while you were standing. If you do it right, the second laser should be able to hit a standing Pikachu.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
IAP increases your movement options. You can very quickly cover ground with it if you need to retreat or advance rapidly. It's also fantastic against opponents who think crouching will make them immune to your lasers.

SHDL is mostly used as a way to interrupt approaches, rather than deal twice as much damage. By firing two, they are forced to either stay grounded and eat a laser, short hop and eat a laser, or full hop and deal with Falco's beastly aerial game.

You want to fire the first laser JUST as he starts to fall back down so that the second one will come out at the same height as it would while you were standing. If you do it right, the second laser should be able to hit a standing Pikachu.
Nice, that helps a lot thanks. I was wondering the exact timing and I was either getting it too high, muffled, or on the ground (rare but annoying). And is Falco's illusion useful in edgeguarding from on-stage? I've done it before but I think its gotta be really insanely risky so is it used ever?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Nah, you wouldn't do that. Falco already has a good edgeguarding game between his lasers, bair, nair and fair.

If they're approaching from above the stage, you can jump up to meet them while facing away. If they don't air-dodge, use a bair. If they do air dodge, wait for it to be over and hit with a dair.

If they're approaching from below, you can come out and spike with dair or stage spike them with a bair or fair.

Really, though, you want to be careful about leaving too far from the stage. Falco's recovery is predictable and punishable. You NEVER want to be offstage while your opponent is still grounded.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yay Illinialex, you've chosen a character not as epic as Jigglypuff but still as leet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnR-qxoGngU

^^How to protect your bread.

Some other tips:

-Don't use Fair on the stage, the end lag sucks.
-Use Down Taunt a lot.

Uhh thats about it lol. Have fun playing Falco :)
Ok, cool. And yeah, I was wondering about the B-side because it could be used like Lucario's B-Up.

And if the opponent is above you, do you ever want to uair, if they air dodge, bair them?? I seem to do it and it works, but I'm wondering if thats because I've only used Falco in major friendlies so far or if its a good idea.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Iirc Falco's Uair fails compared to Fox's. I think it works like Ganon's Uair physics wise. It's not a very good move imo, too hard to land. I'd just stick with Bair or Nair.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok, I'm getting the hang of Falco, but for some reason, I'm having trouble killing people. Considering this is Falco, its kinda sad, but if I don't kill someone with a dair spike or F-smash, I can't seem to kill them at all... until high percentages with a dashed U-smash.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Illin, I used to have a lot of trouble killing, too. RAR'd bairs are really nice, but if you can't get a hang of that, work on your laserlock setups (this helped me get through a sort of "dead zone" where you can't CG, and can't really easily get them off the edge)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Illin, I used to have a lot of trouble killing, too. RAR'd bairs are really nice, but if you can't get a hang of that, work on your laserlock setups (this helped me get through a sort of "dead zone" where you can't CG, and can't really easily get them off the edge)
Ok, thanks. I know how to RAR (I use Marth and Jigglypuff much more and I am fairly good at Jigglypuff, but I used to fun with Ike so I learned how to RAR). That should help a lot.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Iirc Falco's Uair fails compared to Fox's. I think it works like Ganon's Uair physics wise. It's not a very good move imo, too hard to land. I'd just stick with Bair or Nair.
You would be correct, sir, since practice can't even get you to sweetspot the knockback portion of the kick properly, or so I've found. In most situations, a back air will take of business as opposed to the up air.

A bit more on topic, congrats, you officially picked up an amazing character! Yes, the back air is amazing.

In my opinion, avoid the dsmash unless you're punishing someone rolling up close.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Nice, thanks for making this topic. I too am trying to pick up Falco as a fourth competitive level character.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
You would be correct, sir, since practice can't even get you to sweetspot the knockback portion of the kick properly, or so I've found. In most situations, a back air will take of business as opposed to the up air.

A bit more on topic, congrats, you officially picked up an amazing character! Yes, the back air is amazing.

In my opinion, avoid the dsmash unless you're punishing someone rolling up close.
Yeah, I love the back air. Its really awesome. Is there any real use for fair??

Nice, thanks for making this topic. I too am trying to pick up Falco as a fourth competitive level character.
I am glad I am being congratulated for needing help.

Top Bottom