• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New FL Melee PRs?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm interested in 2link's proposal because (at least on the surface) it seems a lot less subjective than having a "panel" that debates their opinions of who should be where on the PR list.

I'm going to read more into it myself to see exactly how the points awarded is determined (more importantly, on what basis is awarding specific amounts of points justified), but it seems like a much more appealing method to me so far. (that and it's used in Starcraft and Magic, so it's hard to think that it wouldn't be legit).

Beating good people, and being active become guaranteed ways to get on the PR, and there's little chance of a lucky bracket (or very unlucky bracket) having a large affect on your points.

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
Here's my two cents.

Points systems: rewarding attendance is hard to balance. They favor those in tournament-heavy areas. So those who have to travel to get recognized would suffer severely. I used a system like this to do seeding for Gainesville tourneys. It had skewed rankings due to the fact that we were rewarding attendance.

The one posted by 2link is cool, but it doesn't account for people who stop attending. It's hard to have a fair system that rewards people for travelling and not have a bias to those who didn't have to.

I think an arranged triannual PR can be done. April, August, December, or something like that. Maybe you can drop people to "inactive/travelling PR" tier if they miss a whole trimester of tournaments. Or two semesters if you do a quarterly system.

The main problem with PR's: they take too much time and there aren't a lot people that care about them. The main people interested are those "on the bubble" of the PR. Either they are trying to keep their PR spot, or trying to make "Top X". And expanding the "Top X" to a greater number only dilutes the bottom and makes it harder to determine and therefore waste more time. See: NCAA Tournament expansions.

TL,DR: Points systems are hard to implement fairly. PR's just take too much effort, and not enough people care about them to put in said effort.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If a good point system could be constructed (one that takes into account tourney attendance/weight of certain wins/losses), at best it could only serve as an additional source to help the panelists with their decisions, you still need unbiased and knowledgeable panelists to make up for all the gaps in data and the fact that numbers will never describe player skill/the weight of various wins/losses very accurately. My 2 cents.

And yeah, I think you guys should make this official.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Kira!!!

I wish you still played man I will never forget what you said the momments I was in socal :)

That said ESAM will never be on this list until you drop brawl. Only then my child.

Muhahahahaha!(Evil nicaboy laugh!)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
But I win guaranteed money at brawl tournaments, which is better than what I can say for you at Melee tournaments

/goingin

Top Bottom