• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW & improoved Marth Final Smash Guide! Its HUGE

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
Sticky Me!

Intro
OK, so my last Marth Final Smash guide was a joke. I'm sorry about that. However I now
intend to give you guys a REAL guide. I will work really hard on this, and I really think
it will benefit you now. Every aspect of Marth's Final Smash will be covered, and there
will be enough information to make your brain explode. Trust me, if you think you've been
doing great with Marth's Final Smash, you'll think twice after reading this guide.
Anyways, On with the Guide!:Kirby:

Table of Contents

1. Intro
2. Table of Contents
3A. What is It?
3B. Marth's Final Smash
4. Break that Smash Ball!
5. Stage advantages
6. Offensive Techniques
7. Defensive Techniques
8. Defend Yourself!
EXTRA: user submited Info
9. Conclusion

What is it?
A final smash is an a smash character's ultimate "final" attack. It usually consists of
the character doing high amounts of damage to multiple opponents, or a very high knock back
move. To use a Final Smash, a character must use the power of an item called a Smash Ball.
The Smash Ball is a relatively rare item, although if set on high it will appear quite often.
When it does appear, it will float all over the screen. It can go through walls, objects and
players themselves. To use your final smash, you must break the smash ball before your opponents.
Simply attack the smash ball until it breaks, then whoever got it will begin to glow a very
bright color, the color Dependant on the character. This is called standby mode. When you want to
use your character's final smash, simply press the Neutral Special button (The B button)
and your character will unleash his/her final smash. The character will use the final smash
and then return to his/her pre-standby mode fighting state. You then continue battling like
normal, except that you have move likely killed or horribly damaged your opponents. :rotfl:

Marth's Final Smash
Now that you know what a Final Smash is, its time to learn about Marth's Final Smash. Marth's
final smash is called "critical hit". It originated from the third Fire Emblem game, and here is
a video showing the original critical hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC_qrOJRTP8&
In Brawl, Marth's critical hit makes him fly sideways across the screen, then when an opponent
makes contact with his sword, they are 1 hit k0d and fly off the screen. If Marth's Final smash is
canceled by an opponent, it does 60 damage anyway. A little HP window appears showing the opponents
health dropping to zero, just like FE 3. However, this is only a visual effect and does not correspond
to your opponent at all because Super Smash Bros Brawl does not use a Hit Point system. So basically, if
you hit by Marth's final smash, your automatically dead.If done on the ground, you will stop at the edge.
If done in the air, you will continue to fly sideways until you hit someone or you cancel by pressing B.
Here is a video link showing Marth's Final Smash in Brawl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=897XHyQ3-fw

Break That Smash Ball!
A smash ball has appeared! what do you do? you break it! Most Newbies shouldn't worry about this,
but if your an experienced player fighting other experienced players, you defiantly want to know
the quickest way to break the smash ball. There are several techniques to break the smash ball the
fastest, so I will list them here. Also if you want to suggest a way to break the smash ball
just leave a comment and ill quote it here for you.

1. This one is my personal favorite. If the smash ball is on the ground, use a quick smash attack
until it breaks. If it is in the air, simply jump up and press the neutral attack button(A with no tilts)
and you will double slash the smash ball, at the same time you are knocking nearby opponents away.
if it still does not break, I like to finish it off with a dolphin slash (up B) then press down
to land quickly after i have the smash ball. remember, DO NOT USE DOLPHIN SLASH UNLESS YOUR SURE ITS
GOING TO BREAK THE SMASH BALL. Ive made that mistake plenty of times, and the result is falling
to the ground slowly while my opponents break the smash ball.

2. If its on the ground, smash attack. If its in the air, continuous up slashes(up A) and
side slashes(side A), then finish with a dolphin slash.

3.Neutral B attacks and Neutral A attacks in the air, and Neutral B on the ground.

4. You can make up your own way to break the smash ball if you don't like the methods I use.
Some people also think that dolphin slashes are not efficient when breaking the smash ball,
due to the fact that your vulnerable as you fall down, giving time for them to knock the smash
ball out of you.

Stage advantages
Key:
:) = good
:( = Bad
:ohwell: = neutral
:bigthumbu = Awesome
:crying: = Awful

Here are stage match ups with Marth's final Smash, so you can know where you have the advantage:

Brawl stages

Battlefield = :)
Final Destination = :bigthumbu
Delfino Plaza = :ohwell:
Luigi's Mansion = :)
Musroomy Kingdom = :ohwell:
Mario Circuit = :)
Rumble Falls = :(
Bridge Of Eldin = :bigthumbu
Pirate Ship = :bigthumbu
Norfair = :(
Frigate Orpheon = :(
Yoshi's Island = :(
halberd = :ohwell:
Lylat Cruise = :ohwell:
Pokemon Stadium 2 = :)
Spear Pillar = :(
Port Town = :ohwell:
Castle Siege = :)
WarioWare, Inc. = :)
Distant Planet = :crying:
SmashVille = :bigthumbu
New Pork City = :crying:
Summit = :ohwell:
Skyworld = :(
75M = :ohwell:
Mario Bros. = :crying:
Flat Zone 2 = :(
PictoChat = :bigthumbu
Hanenbow = :ohwell:
Shadow Moses Island = :)
Green Hill Zone = :ohwell:

Melee Stages
Temple = :crying:
Yoshi's Island = :)
Jungle Japes = :)
Onett = :ohwell:
Corneria = :)
RainBow Cruise = :(
Green Greens = :)
Big Blue = :crying:
Brinstar = :ohwell:
Pokémon Stadium = :)

Offensive Techniques
Finlay, the chapter you've all been waiting for, the Offensive Techniques! :bee:
There are many techniques so I will yet again, list them.

1.The Green Marth Way
This is my custom way of using Marth's Final Smash. It is most effective on a stage with the
:bigthumb: rating (see previous chapter for details) First, you get the smash ball. then after you have it,
Jump off the stage's edge back wards, so you are facing your opponents(ex:final destination). The stage is nice and flat,
so you will have no problem jumping off the edge of the stage. Make sure you are facing your opponents in the air after you jumped.
You should now be in the air facing your opponents far off the edge of the stage. When you are ALMOST level with the stage,
press B. You should fly back onto the stage and kill multiple opponents.

Here is a diagram in case you are confused the (stage is final destination):
:marth: = you
~-~-~-~-~-~-~ = the line of fire

:ike: ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-:marth:
:bowser2: :wolf:

2.Basic Way
The basic way to use this final smash is to Fight on the ground like normal, then when
the enemy is distracted from fighting or you find an opponent that is open, Press B.
You will most likely kill them unless they have extremely fast reflexes. If you miss the opponent on the ground
you will stop at the edge of the stage. If you miss an opponent in the air, you will continue to fly sideways for
quite a distance until you go out of bounds and die. To save yourself Press B to cancel
the final smash.

Defensive techniques
This is uncommon, but i thought i should put it in here. Most final smashes are used
for the sole purpose of K0ing opponents. Believe it or not, Marth's final smash can be used
to not only edge guard, but save you from being k0d!

1.Edge Guard
If you aim right, you can use Marth's final smash for edge guarding. However, I don't
recommend it, because you can easily miss and kill yourself. This is useful in a situation
where both players have one life. When an opponents is trying to recover, do a small jump
and use your final smash. If you hit them they are faced with a most annoying defeat.

2.Recover
If you get the smash ball and you are knocked far off the stage, you can use marth's
final smash to recover. you might even hit some opponents on the way! But, if you don't hit anyone
don't forget to press B to cancel!

Defend Yourself!
In this Chapter, you can learn how to defend your AGAINST marth's Final Smash.
Marth's Final smash can be dodged simply by jumping, if you do it right. Also remember,
if you are touched at all by Marth's sword(top, bottom, or tip) your dead. An air dodge
or anything that provides invincibility frames will also make marth's final smash useless.
Ike's aether will cushion the knock back, but marth will still do 60% dmg. Wolf's Down-B
can have the same effect if done correctly.A rolling dodge will do it to, but you'll need
some practice for that. The best thing to do to dodge critical hit is a simple standing dodge.
I hope that maybe you will die less ofter from Marth now that you have read this.

User Submitted Information
I desided to add this because I have complaints that this guide isnt good enough somehow lol...:confused: so if you dont like my guide, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND SUGGEST INFORMATION. You are just wasting people's time if you just criticize and dont do anything about it. So there you go.

submited by : JunkIntheTrunk
I don't really play with Smash Balls but something like Fthrow -> FS or in the air coming down Fair -> FS (replacing the Fsmash in the "normal" marth combo of SH Fair Fair Fsmash).

Conclusion
Well that sums up My guide! I know you learned a lot and I know I improved from my last
Guide. I'm telling you, My fingers are cramped up from typing all this information.
(so please dont hate it lol) So, thats my conclusion. Please Rate this 5 stars and comment.
Also, if you have any suggestions also post them.

THANKS!

~The Green Marth

∫unk

Smash Master
Maybe you should suggest some easy combos that will guarantee the final smash to hit. I don't really play with Smash Balls but something like Fthrow -> FS or in the air coming down Fair -> FS (replacing the Fsmash in the "normal" marth combo of SH Fair Fair Fsmash).

Offensive and Defensive are spelled wrong.. not that I'm a nitpicker but those words are in huge font and in bold so I noticed it.

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
Maybe you should suggest some easy combos that will guarantee the final smash to hit. I don't really play with Smash Balls but something like Fthrow -> FS or in the air coming down Fair -> FS (replacing the Fsmash in the "normal" marth combo of SH Fair Fair Fsmash).

Offensive and Defensive are spelled wrong.. not that I'm a nitpicker but those words are in huge font and in bold so I noticed it.
spell check is complete! :******:

but is there anything you want to say about the thread itself, other than my bad spelling..:chuckle:

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
ok, i think if there is a guide to the final smash, it should be like Junk said, comboes that lead into a guaranteed FS.... not recovery, and edgeguarding uses ._.
then suggest a combo if you think mine are no efficient enough.
It doesnt take a skilled play to get a smash ball, but it does take a skilled player to use it.
That is the main part of the guide: the actual final smash..:mad:

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
I don't really see a significantly good use for this guide as it involves using final smashes. Normally in tournaments items are off and usually you only use items in just fun FFA games. In those situations its very easy to hit some with a Final Smash as there are more targets and since its FFA, your opponents are likely to be distracted.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
This is stupid.

And Green Hill Zone is good. Marth will run along the ground and hit anybody on the ground. People don't realize this and think he only goes horizontally.

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
This is stupid.

And Green Hill Zone is good. Marth will run along the ground and hit anybody on the ground. People don't realize this and think he only goes horizontally.
dude...wtf man im tired of this. every time i work for like 4 hours to post a guide all i get is negetive comments. well why dont you try to make a better guide!! screw you.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It's good for what it is, but probably deemed useless since any serious competition won't see the use of Smash Balls anyway (except in FFAs or Friendlies).

Anyway, using the combo Mew2King posted, F-air, F-air, Side-B with Sword Rain (fourth move down) as the finisher, should they tech, you can chase them perfectly with the FS instead of the finish with a f-air to f-smash. Situational, but it works, eh?

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
It's good for what it is, but probably deemed useless since any serious competition won't see the use of Smash Balls anyway (except in FFAs or Friendlies).

Anyway, using the combo Mew2King posted, F-air, F-air, Side-B with Sword Rain (fourth move down) as the finisher, should they tech, you can chase them perfectly with the FS instead of the finish with a f-air to f-smash. Situational, but it works, eh?
FINALY! a smart comment. For once someone uses constructive criticism, instead of saying
This is stupid.
hey states that it is useless, but then goes on to say why it is useless without rubbing my face in it. Good comment!

P.S.
Yes It would seem that combo would work, but I doubt that people like M2K would turn on smash balls in the first place... Anyways I personaly WOULD finish with f-air to f-smash, then when they are dead hit them with the FS to get two kills in a short amount of time.:chuckle:

EDIT: I have also always wondered why smash balls are not part of competitive play.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
They change the course of battle dramatically, so they are not used in commpetitive play.

Its a decent guide, not HUGE by any means, but it doesn't need to be.

My personal favorite way of breaking the smash ball is waiting for someone else to hit it once or twice (unless going against a heavy character, who can sometimes break it in one attack) and then snagging the hit that breaks open the smash ball, to ensure that i get it.

You should consider telling people that it takes 2-3 hits to open a smash ball, lol.

Anyway, nice job

RAAAAAAANDOMASUTAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Kunato

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide! This has helped me, and I hope it'll help many others too.

Suggestions: Images! Images make the guide more enjoyable and easier to read.

If you can't upload images from your own game, you can at least use the ones from the dojo:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/hidden02/hidden02_080207r-l.jpg

Place under "Marth's Final Smash".

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/hidden02/hidden02_080207s-l.jpg

Place under "Marth's Final Smash".

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/howto/basic/images/basic02/basic02_070529a.jpg

Place under "What is it?".

Also, I'd like to see a list of ways to survive Marth's Final Smash under "Defend Yourself!".

e.g.

1. Roll dodge
2. Jump
3. Standing Dodge
4. Air Dodge
5.Attack Marth
5. Super Armour*
-Ike's Aether :)
-Wario's side smash :urg:
-Pikmin and Olimar's Whistle :)
-Ike's Eruption :ohwell:
6. etc.
7. etc
8. etc.

*The smilies indicate how effective the different super armours are (how easy they are to time when Marth uses his Final Smash). The information I listed isn't correct at all, I merely used it as an example.

Top Bottom