• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Long Interview with Sakurai

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
people threw a major hissy fit
People are never satisfied... They should be happy with what they have/got in Sm4sh rather than what they don't/lost. Unless their favorite character was those cut, they shouldn't complain. Sometimes I wonder is it was a good decision to make the Mewtwo DLC because people are going to be holding on to the chance of more characters that were cut or not included. (Roy, IC, Chrom, Ridley, Lucas) Lucas was one of my Brawl mains but I don't whine about his cut. :lucas:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People are never satisfied... They should be happy with what they have/got in Sm4sh rather than what they don't/lost. Unless their favorite character was those cut, they shouldn't complain. Sometimes I wonder is it was a good decision to make the Mewtwo DLC because people are going to be holding on to the chance of more characters that were cut or not included. (Roy, IC, Chrom, Ridley, Lucas) Lucas was one of my Brawl mains but I don't whine about his cut. :lucas:
And Wolf, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake. Technically Young Link too, but without an entirely new gimmick, well... and transformations are out due to the 3DS limitations(which is the reason for PT to be gone and why Zelda/Sheik got fully split up). Never mind the idea that Chorus Kids might be in. He did at least explain PT and that the transformations weren't doable. Charizard is a given for who out of them would return. He's the most popular of them all. Many predict the other two will come back via DLC, but even if DLC does more, that's not that guaranteed. We have no idea who could come back or be new if more is done. Every cut character has its fans, after all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Correlation is not causation. What you described can also be explained by the fact that most classic series in Smash are chosen because of their impact and success. Most of those just happen to be made bu Yokoi (who was also Miyamoto's mentor) and R&D1. Ice Climbers were chosen because they were unique.
No, it just plays a factor in helping me determine which retro characters are more likely to be picked over other retro characters. :4duckhunt:

Folt

Smash Ace
More of the Sakurai interview have been translated:

Mii-Fighter

MS: This time customization was a factor, I thought that we had to take a step towards being able to create something to your own liking during development. Although, we were thinking a lot about whether people would be happy to see the Mii Fighter as their opponent. For example if "My mommy" would come up as an opponent, would that really become a heated battle...? As we thought about that, if the character were to look and come out nonchalantly like in Mii Plaza, this would have been a definite failure. In the end by having the head of the Mii and changing up the body as well as giving them proper moves we managed to bring it into existence.

The reason for the return of Dr. Mario

MS: Actually all "Model-change"-characters that we have now were originally just supposed to be color-configurations. Just like the Little Mac-wireframe or how Olimar and Alph are included, we planned to just make the look and maybe the voice a possible configuration. But, when talking about Dr. Mario, including his abilities he had a lot of individuality in Melee compared to Mario. Also there were fans that said things like "I'm a doctor!", or "A back-alley doctor!" when they chose the black color-config. When you have such fans and you just change the character-model and leave it at that and it becomes "The same as Mario", we thought people might get angry (laughs). That's why we forced ourselves and changed that. But, unlike we did in the past when we separately added abilities and monitored the results, this time we used the customization-system and entered the adjustment-process by starting with a "Mario that's a bit heavier, with added attack-power". Although even then it still took a lot of work. During the regular adjustment-process we have each fighter battle all others and try to grasp the "strong" and "weak" problem areas, but in this case we had Dr. Mario go against Mario and tried to adjust it so it would most likely result in a tie. We did the same for Marth and Lucina, as well as Pit and Black Pit.

The reason for Duck Hunt joining the battle

MS: You think Duck Hunt is a rather minor character, right?

ND: We...think so. (laughs)

Everybody: (laughs)

MS: Please try to have a look at the sales-numbers. It might be the most-sold shooting-game in the world. It might be because it came bundled with the NES outside of Japan, if you look at worldwide numbers you come up with a huge number. I thought to create a character based on that would be appropriate, so we included that character from the very beginning of the project.

ND: So it was a candidate all along for the whole Smash Bros.-franchise?

MS: No, that would be exaggerating...in past titles we had our hands full with the characters we included back then. Even if we had tried even harder back then we couldn't have included it. But this time it was fun to do "Duck Hunt" and its shooting-like presentation. Like having a third person intervening the action, being able to say "It's actually a trio" was fun. That's how we finalized it during development of the concept, saying "That's how we can make it work!".
Essentially, the Mii Fighter concept was brought into existence by basically separating them from the usual Miis (and in effect, making them original characters for Smash), Dr. Mario is in as a separate character because he had established his own individuality in Melee (and dat sexy black coat) and balance testing in terms of him and the other clones were simplified a bit compared to the other characters, and Duck Hunt was planned from the very beginning of the Smash 4 project.

(Though Sakurai kinda dropped the ball in terms of Lucina.)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No, it just plays a factor in helping me determine which retro characters are more likely to be picked over other retro characters. :4duckhunt:
What part of "Correlation is not causation" did you not understand. It's just you blindly typed that post.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Makes me wonder how Ike even made it back in. Like he uses his Radiant Dawn appearance as opposed to his Awakening appliance from the DLC. I guess Awakening was good enough?
I thought that was Ike's son, not Ike.

His RD appearance was perfect. His voice being reused is so lame tho. I don't MIND it, but the audio quality of it is gross. It's like they recorded Brawl's Ike sounds with an old microphone.

RyanCE

Smash Cadet
Retro characters need to be clarified? All the retro characters we have gotten so far are connected to Gunpei Yokoi and/or Nintendo R&D1... oh, and they all debuted in the 1980s.

Nintendo R&D1 (developer)
  • Balloon Fight (since Sakurai considered Balloon Fighter for Melee)
  • Clu Clu Land (since Sakurai considered Bubbles for Melee)
  • Excitebike (since Sakurai considered Excitebiker for Melee)
  • Gyromite
  • Hogan's Alley
  • Ice Climber
  • Stack-Up
  • Urban Champion (since Sakurai considered Urban Champion for Melee)
  • Wild Gunman

Gunpei Yokoi (producer)
  • Game & Watch
  • R.O.B.

Both
  • Duck Hunt
  • Kid Icarus

So... in my opinion, the criteria for retro characters, in addition to uniqueness and whatever else that applies to non-retro characters, seems to be Gunpei Yokoi and/or Nintendo R&D1 and the 1980s decade.
Actually, R&D1 didn't develop Ice Climber, and Yokoi wasn't involved in its production at all. The Ice Climber Wikipedia page is wrong about that.

http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/ice-climber

Miki and Sugiyama worked in the R&D4 division at the time, which later became EAD. I know it's not a big deal or anything, and it's a common misunderstanding, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

Top Bottom