• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mario Player

gordon117

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I have been playing IC and ZSS almost exclusively since Brawl came out, and I have wanted to pick up Mario for a while.

Well last night I did in some friendlies against my buddies and it was fairly fun.

I just wanted to ask a few things:
1. For approaches, should I try to RAR with the B-Air -> B-Air combo, or would a fireball -> N-Air be better?
2. Kill moves!! I only was able to KO effectively with the F-Smash, what are some of his other kill moves, I mean I know about gimping with the cape and FLUDD, but what else besides those?
3. What throws to use, I was using the D-throw and the B-throw mostly, are those the right ones to use to build damage?
4. Match up advice vs. Wolf, Lucario, Ness.

Thanks for anything you guys input, and I am glad to be playing Mario!!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Hey guys I have been playing IC and ZSS almost exclusively since Brawl came out, and I have wanted to pick up Mario for a while.

Well last night I did in some friendlies against my buddies and it was fairly fun.

I just wanted to ask a few things:
1. For approaches, should I try to RAR with the B-Air -> B-Air combo, or would a fireball -> N-Air be better?
2. Kill moves!! I only was able to KO effectively with the F-Smash, what are some of his other kill moves, I mean I know about gimping with the cape and FLUDD, but what else besides those?
3. What throws to use, I was using the D-throw and the B-throw mostly, are those the right ones to use to build damage?

Thanks for anything you guys input, and I am glad to be playing Mario!!
1. Yeah, those are some good approaches. Fireball -> grab is also something I use alot along with a rising Dair/Nair to a fastfalled Bair or Uair; but that's just me. Utilt locks work very well on fastfallers and can last up until about 40% on some characters.

2. Fsmash is his primary killing move, and kills at lower % if you angle it up. Usmash works as well and is easy to land but kills at higher %. Dsmash is mostly for racking up damage but you may score a few KOs with it as well. Nair KOs at higher % but is easy to land when following a fireball.

3. Yep, I barely ever Uthrow. I interchange Bthrow and Fthrow depending on which edge I'm closer to so that I can rack up damage offstage and possibly gimp. Dthrow to double SH uair -> Dsmash is something I commonly do at low %. It's escapable, but the window of opportunity is small. Dthrow is also a nice set-up because if you expect an airdodge, just follow for another grab or something. Bthrow kills at really high % and does 13% unstaled; 12% every throw after that.

4. Wolf is very easy to combo and gimp with Fludd -> cape/edgehog depending on the situation. A defensive Wolf is hard to approach because of his blaster and Fsmash so look for your opening. Dsmash is his primary KO move, so be prepared for it when you're within KO range. Utilt locks work here too.

Lucario can be KO'd at lower % from an up-angled Fsmash. His Dair kills Utilt chains and Dthrow combos. If you Dthrow, take precautions not to be in range of his Dair. Aurasphere is one of their more powerful moves so they'll be using it. Cape whenever you feel it may be coming out, especially you're recovering. Their jab game is ridiculously good, so try not to stay that close or you'll be eating about 40% depending on how high their damage is. His smashes have tons of range and can be used to prevent approach and bait you into an Aurasphere. Gimp him with Cape, just remember that he can gimp you as well with Fairs and Dair from the edge.

Ness is one of those characters I don't play very often. Cape outranges his Fair, screws his PK thunder and his PK fire, and helps to gimp his recovery. Fludd kills his upB if he ever uses it in range.

gordon117

Smash Cadet
Cool man, thanks for the pointers, I am actually heading out to play some smash so I'll have to try it these out ^^

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
U can also kill with other aerials, depending on the situation, and sometimes b throw depending on who you're fighting. The only time you'll want to use u throw is probably when they're at 0% and u don't want to use u tilt **** and ur right below a platform.

HeroMystic, up angled f smash does more % also. I think it's like that because it's hard to hit smaller characters with. That's y d angled smashes r weaker in knockback/% IMO.

gordon117

Smash Cadet
hmm, I didn't get a chance to try angling the f-smash up, i'll try that.

but you are right about the u tilt, its nuts! Like 30-40% right off the bat every stock. o_O

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Seriously? Weird, how exactly does an angled up F-smash kill at lower percentage?
It changes the trajectory of your opponent, from more horizontal to more vertical.
Knocks them up higher basically, making it more likely to be KO'ed. At least, I'm pretty sure it does that, Luigi's Fsmash behaves the same way.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
B-air is good and can be used twice in a SH. N-air is situational but has a great lingering hitbox and high priority, and can set up for jab locks. D-air is pretty good for punishing rolls and dodges. Fireballs are good setups into tilts or grabs.

One approach I have been doing a lot recently is SH B-air -> grab. If you hit someone with one B-air from a SH, they probably will shield the next hit, but that is when you can grab them.

Don't forget to stutter step and angle the F-smash (up angled is really good). U-smash is very good at 120% fresh. B-air and U-air if fresh can kill. U-tilt or B-throw when fresh at like 160% can kill.

D-throw is good if you have good anticipation skills. If someone air dodges the D-throw and you chase them, you can get another grab.

F-throw and U-throw do more damage than the D-throw and should be used if you are having trouble D-throw comboing people. F-throw to get people off the stage is good.

B-throw is a good damage dealer, but I personally think it's better saving it for the kill at 160% (lightweights like Falco, you can sometimes kill at 130% with the B-throw).

Don't forget to grab attack as it helps for diminishing returns.

Wolf is not a hard matchup. There is a learning curve to not getting flat out destroyed by some of his more simple strategies. Shielding his attacks, and then letting the shield down to punish him is good. U-tilt can chain him to like 40%. Also his recovery is easy to gimp.

Top Bottom