• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New marth vid of amazing japenese brawler

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
He looks pretty good, love him repping the white, the DB 1 mixups and the spikes (then again its on fox...)

Does this confirm the chaingrab thing on fox?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Nah, it just confirms that the japanese still play marth like in melee. (dash dancing???). The fox clearly didnt know what he was doing either lol. Sure, marth destroys fox by design if played well but it shouldnt be that bad. :S

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Backlash:

The marth player was obviously more skilled than the Fox, he read him easily and the Fox didn't know how to punish a few things so the Marth could just keep doing them.

Don't stereotype Japan liek that, they play the game just like we do.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
Backlash:

The marth player was obviously more skilled than the Fox, he read him easily and the Fox didn't know how to punish a few things so the Marth could just keep doing them.

i wasnt stereotypeing japan,also ther is alot of things we can learn from them,well ive never seen a marth this quick

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Just because the Marth is quick doesn't mean they're good. The Fox player didn't know the match up first of all, and he didn't know how to punish. The Marth player also did a few unsafe things if you ask me, such as the constant SH->DB. It got pretty obvious after a while and the Fox was just overall a mess that game.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Personally I didn't think the Marth was that great. The Fox was fairly bad, and the Marth was just playing flashy, as we've seen Marth's from Japan do.

I liked the DB1->Uair stuff, I might try that out.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Backlash:

Well, truth be told different countries tend to play brawl and its characters differently. I didnt say they sucked, i just was remarking at the difference between japanese and american playstyles. But lets be honest, that fox was hardly up to par and its not hard to look good against a weak opponent. Yes, the marth obviously knew what he was doing since he landed that spike so well and had pretty decent grip on spacing. However its hard to call someone "amazing" based of this video alone.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
Backlash:

my bad thought u were talking to me....

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Cmon, that marth LOOKED amazing and you know it =P

unfortunately, we dont know how good he actually is, only that he was considerably better than the fox and that he was very flashy.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well, he looks good. Very fast and great spacing.

However, the Fox player was more then horrible, this makes the Marth player seem better then actual.
All I can say is that the Marth looked good, but I doubt that his Melee tactics would work with our Marths. If only he would play more like Brawl and not Melee, he could be really something.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Hmm, I'm more of the mindset that we haven't taken enough Melee which has years of development and translated it into Brawl. Ever wonder why the top players are also Melee pros?

This gave me ideas. Also, the chaingrab on Fox is probably legit. I've done similar stuff to MK. Pikachu gave me ideas of mixing up Fthrow and Dthrow to extend our chaingrabs, and I'm willing to bet it ***** Fox just as bad as these Japanese players have already discovered, since Fox is a dominant part of their metagame.

Also, Fox is a viable character, especially if MK were to be removed from the picture. Fox has excellent mobility, punishing tools, kill power, and recovery. What he lacks in weight, he makes up for in damage racking and camping. He dies if you know how to gimp him though.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
yea you wonder why melee players transitioned well from melee ot brawl after learning it ... its pretty simple .... we've known the metagame longer ...

crifer

Smash Lord
that´s not new, and the fox boards know this vid since at least 2 months,
but yeah both players are awesome to watch!

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Hmm, I'm more of the mindset that we haven't taken enough Melee which has years of development and translated it into Brawl. Ever wonder why the top players are also Melee pros?

This gave me ideas. Also, the chaingrab on Fox is probably legit. I've done similar stuff to MK. Pikachu gave me ideas of mixing up Fthrow and Dthrow to extend our chaingrabs, and I'm willing to bet it ***** Fox just as bad as these Japanese players have already discovered, since Fox is a dominant part of their metagame.

Also, Fox is a viable character, especially if MK were to be removed from the picture. Fox has excellent mobility, punishing tools, kill power, and recovery. What he lacks in weight, he makes up for in damage racking and camping. He dies if you know how to gimp him though.
I agree with the bold fully. I might even quote this when someone says "stop trying to make this game melee". Melee was a game edging on ideal (I'll concede it could have been better balanced) why would we not want to make brawl like it?

Anyway how is fox viable? Doesn't he get ***** by pika, sheik, and anyone who has a chain/lock of some sort?

more on topic: the marth looked good despite how bad the fox was. It was clear he knew the matchup and that he has a great handle of marth. I'd really love to see japanese pro come over here to see how they would do in our campy, mk-saturated meta, but when I looked at the pre-reg for genesis no one from japan was there. o.o can anyone explain?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
pikachu CG 95% of the cast doesn't make characters like snake falco or d3 any less viable.

DB > Uair is legit. Every marth should be using it.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I agree with the bold fully. I might even quote this when someone says "stop trying to make this game melee". Melee was a game edging on ideal (I'll concede it could have been better balanced) why would we not want to make brawl like it?

Anyway how is fox viable? Doesn't he get ***** by pika, sheik, and anyone who has a chain/lock of some sort?

more on topic: the marth looked good despite how bad the fox was. It was clear he knew the matchup and that he has a great handle of marth. I'd really love to see japanese pro come over here to see how they would do in our campy, mk-saturated meta, but when I looked at the pre-reg for genesis no one from japan was there. o.o can anyone explain?
You answered your own question. I wouldnt want to go to the US if i saw the videos of the warios, snakes, and MKs ppl have to face in tournaments in the good ol' US of A.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
pikachu CG 95% of the cast doesn't make characters like snake falco or d3 any less viable.

DB > Uair is legit. Every marth should be using it.
Those characters are all well above average and have good matchups against popular characters. Even if that one matchup was **** for them (which I don't think it is) it wouldn't matter. Either way, I'll check fox's matchups now to see if he's as good as pierce suggests.

@Backlash: lol I didn't even think of that. Tbh, I'd like to play in their relatively aggressive melee-esque meta. It'd be a lot more exciting.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Those characters are all well above average and have good matchups against popular characters. Even if that one matchup was **** for them (which I don't think it is) it wouldn't matter. Either way, I'll check fox's matchups now to see if he's as good as pierce suggests.

@Backlash: lol I didn't even think of that. Tbh, I'd like to play in their relatively aggressive melee-esque meta. It'd be a lot more exciting.
I'm not sure how unbias the match ups in the fox boards will be. They used to have him even with MK I'm not sure if they still do though.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I just checked and fox's matchups were pretty horrible. He had like two useful good matchups against rob and toon link and the tl one isn't really that useful.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186742

Anyone with "lol" as a matchup number is probably not viable.

edit: in fairness every other character has been supposed to go even with/beat mk. Even marth a while back iirc.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I just checked and fox's matchups were pretty horrible. He had like two useful good matchups against rob and toon link and the tl one isn't really that useful.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186742

Anyone with "lol" as a matchup number is probably not viable.

edit: in fairness every other character has been supposed to go even with/beat mk. Even marth a while back iirc.
Well it's Marth. He goes even with God. :laugh:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I suppose that means all the japanese players who decided to come over to the US committed seppekku upon losing to the first MK scrub who 3 stocked them upon arrival.
*not a refference to the skill lvl of japanese players*
*Imagines japanese players bringing katanas/hodachis/wakizashis/whatever with them going to international events*
This might explain fox's metagame in Japan (for those who haven't seen it, although I think almost everyone has):
From Kel
Japanese tier list:
SS:
Metaknight, Snake

S:
Falco, Pit

A:
Diddy, King Dedede, Marth, Fox, Mr. Game and Watch
Wario, Captain Olimar, Wolf, R.O.B, Lucario
B:
Zelda + Sheik, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Donkey Kong

C:
Peach, Kirby, Mario, Luigi, Ike

D:
Lucas, Bowser

E:
Link, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Jigglpuff

F:
Ness, Yoshi, Samus, Captain Falcon

G:
Ganondorf

My friend went on to tell me that they don't REALLY think Ganon is in a low tier by himself, but they put him in G tier because it stands for "ganondor tier"

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Neither of the players were that great.

When are people going to realize that spikes =/= amazing...:mad:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0hXrEf_o5g

^This. When it came out i vouched for the techinical skill of the japanese but the cg was shot down as "bad player di" and the rest of the video was placed in the round file.. Just thought I'd throw that out there. The cg is around 1:50 for those who want to watch just that part.
more on topic: the marth looked good despite how bad the fox was. It was clear he knew the matchup and that he has a great handle of marth.
O_o We lookin at the same video?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think that yall arent looking at the same video. Aro meant the video in the OP, while you clearly were looking at the video i posted.
My bad. The video you posted is at the top of page 2- not 1. >_>

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
I admit that the Japanese player(noticed how I said only one) was semi decent, buuuut......he went out of his way to do some flashy tricks when he could have made some clearly better moves instead. Maybe it's the mindgames over there, but for real though, he made it harder on himself. Plus, that other player was just plain bad, at least compared to the other guy, and that's sayiong a lot. :/

Top Bottom