• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Match Up Thread (For Real This Time)

The Jort

Smash Rookie
Our Pokemon Trainer Match Up thread is very old and extremely outdated. So, we need to fix that. Some have attempted to make new match up threads, but somehow they never manage to lift off the ground. I can't do this by myself, so please help when you can. Who can I count on to help us make this possible? Post here.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i kind of like the fact that we probably the only character board without a recent matchup thread

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You should just do a average MU ratio of all the PT player's opinion. A lot faster than discussing all the characters :x then just answer questions people have about specific MUs

T-block

B2B TST
The BBR is working on a matchup chart, so my time has been consumed by that.

I suppose it wouldn't be much work to kickstart discussions, but I'm thinking it might even be easier to wait for the BBR chart to come out, and then we'll have something to work off of.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
The BBR is working on a matchup chart, so my time has been consumed by that.

I suppose it wouldn't be much work to kickstart discussions, but I'm thinking it might even be easier to wait for the BBR chart to come out, and then we'll have something to work off of.
How much longer do you think?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
what bothers me is that people are going to take that chart as the end all be all to all matchups...

Tesh

Smash Hero
Actual information is far more helpful than charts and ratios. Discussion is the most important thing.

The Jort

Smash Rookie
Actual information is far more helpful than charts and ratios. Discussion is the most important thing.
QFT

Knowing why the match up is the way it is and how you should play in the match up is much better than just knowing what the ratio for the match up is. Knowing the match up is especially important for PT because it helps you decide when and how you should switch Pokemon.

hurricanehans

Smash Rookie
I will start off the conversation; PT vs PT is the funnest matchup in the game.
It's embarrassing how bad I am at PT dittos. For starters, does it work like in the pokemon games? As in the Squirtle beats Charizard beats Ivysaur beats Squirtle type thing.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
It is fun, and confusing. I wonder how fast an Usmash fully charged by ivy would kill squirtle.
And just bullet seed on charizard, because it is just mean against him.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Fully Charged Upsmash kills Squirtle at 10% with no DI on Halberd. Dthrow-Fully Charged Upsmash? Matchup changing 0-death? Could Ivy have a hard CP against Squirtle?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Didn't someone discover that Ivysaur has a grab-release chaingrab against Squirtle?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
So I tried U-air on jiggs and I couldn't do it. Either I suck at Brawl, there is something you have to do that I don't know about, or you can't. In order of plausibility.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
You should just do a average MU ratio of all the PT player's opinion. A lot faster than discussing all the characters :x then just answer questions people have about specific MUs
When you're character board is ******** and has MU ratios brought up from 2009 and pulled out from their *** you end up with some really dumb results when this is done.
Not speaking about this board in general, just saying for lower tiered characters there are hardly any people who actually main the said character in tournament but still feel the need to contribute their ******** match up opinions in those threads.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
check vine whip on olimar, it might hit

is there a way to sweetspot vine whip on wario's air release? or can you not position yourself in time?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Alright, here's what I found. Keep in mind i'm not very good at buffering or doing things the best/fastest possible. On Jiggs, up b isn't guaranteed but it's a very good idea because unless the airdodge right away or jump you will hit them with the tip. On Ivy I couldn't get anything. On Squirtle I could chain grab but Leaf is a good mix up. On Olimar Vine Whips in not guaranteed, you have to run up and they will probably get out of it. And on Wario there is no way to sweetspot the vine whip that I know of, he is too low after the GR. You can also try Razor Leaf on him but it's not a very good mix up and if he comes at you with an aerial you'll get hit. Two other mixups are bullet seed which is really hard and risky and also F-smash which I didn't test.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Isn't Up B too slow to ever work anyway? Regardless of placement you only have 20 frames at best to hit the other guy right?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
That's a lot more useful isn't it. Maybe if you're at the edge... nah I can't think of a situation within the ruleset.

Also wewt 100th post.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Remember this?

I tried messing around with it from a grab-release on Wario yesterday. My technical ability blows, though; if someone could consistently RAR a short-hop N-Air spike, could they regrab afterward?

Top Bottom