• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* matchup discussion week #5: Ice Climbers!

sauc3

Smash Lord
just a heads up, we can't pivot grab your side-b if you cover it PERFECTLY with a lazor. DEHF is really good at it. Also, don`t spam jab, as we can just roll through it to grab.

if ics are just standing there, recover onto the platform

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
The match up really comes down to mind games, grabs, and by extension, Falco's ability to either jump out of grab or break away.

First, ban FD. For IC and Diddy Kong, just don't play it.

Second, head shot. Make it happen.

Third, Chase nana. Separate and chase Nana. You can pretty much space well, charge F-Smash, and she will run into it.

On separation:
Eh...tough... I personally prefer Delfino for this match up because the platforms are wonderful and when on a normal ground, I tend to fight left or right. This way, the main platform will start flying away and a solo popo can't get back if you hit him with some knock back OR Nana might be lost when trying to recover with up B. I can guarantee that unless you are simply terrible with Falco's recovery, you can make it unless the blast zone catches you on the ground.

For neutrals, Battlefield clearly.

For the ratio:

Well, pretty much a mediocre falco versus a mediocre IC is really just ****. I would definitely say that if this were done on the basis of averages it would be near 70:30, however, when both the IC and Falco play as they should, I can see the match as being 55:45 IC favor. Really, the only reason a player should be getting ***** in this match up is because of their lack of knowledge in fighting it or because they always counter pick IC and don't play it enough. It essentially comes down to practice, practice, practice, just like anything else.

And until we have more good Falco's (other than the mindblowing abilities of DEHF) trying the match up and not being successful, I will use the existing example and agree it could be 55:45.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
everytime i face IC's they ban FD against me. well except for lain. <3 lain.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Any good Ice Climber main can pivot grab a Falco at any point of his phantasm after that 1/3 if it's used to hit them. If it's being used to get away from above, it can be hit by an up tilt, up air, upb, and can be blocked if it's used towards us with blizzard and previously mentioned, pivot grab.
i have played lain, meep, atomsk and a lot of top players. you can not pivot grab a falco out of his side b unless you read it or he messes up the spacing. i have never met a Player in general that can do that on REACTION.

you can naturally just run/fox trot away in your playstyle as a bait like neo, and if the falco makes a dumb mistake and side Bs after you, you can just pivot grab. other than that, its not happening bro :laugh:

6:4 ics sounds fair honestly. i mostly agree with what dehf said

wangston

Smash Lord
Agree with dehf it's for sure 55-45...............

But I'll agree with the part that you can break out of the grab before 40% because you will get grabbed dysnced. Lain told me you can break out before 40% when I played him in pools and because didn't do anything when he grabbed me. It was pools I had already made it out and I didn't feel like camping for 8 minutes so if i got grabbed big deal.

clowsui

Smash Legend
wangston! how's brazil?

anyways ics vs. falco is dehfinitely 55-45, just playing around with dash attack ftilt phantasm against a mediocre icies shows me this

wangston

Smash Lord
brazil is awesome. But I work and study all the time and have no time for smash it sucks :( I've only had time for one small tourney. I'm like the best falco in brazil.... lol cause they aren't any.

yeah ftilt, lasers, over-b are all good, I just don't have the patience to play this match up and I always rush in and want to fight the ics head on so i lose. But if I played this way I keep away game and poke with attacks when I can the match up doesn't seem so bad.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
i have played lain, meep, atomsk and a lot of top players. you can not pivot grab a falco out of his side b unless you read it or he messes up the spacing. i have never met a Player in general that can do that on REACTION.
iKon, NJ Troll of the Year, says "Hello ****** I'm alive!"

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
There is only 3 options Falco has on the ground, Laser Phantasm and grab. Do these on the ground and you shoulndnt get grabbed. Laser if their sitting far away, phantasm when they close in and throw in grabs sometime. But ftilt jab and all the other things people are suggesting are risky and gets grabbed.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Be sure to not mash jump while mashing, so you air release. if ic knows the mu he can send an ic to catch you before you land.

Teh Future

Smash Master
What's the right way to mash buttons? What buttons need to be mashed to break a grab the fastest?
all of them. Use your thumb to move C-stick plus all the other buttons while rotating (?) other stick. Its very tuff and you literally have to break you controller (if you do this in every match at least after a while you will lol) to do it right.

Just wanted to add that Dash attack upsmash is not really a good idea. if you are dashing at ICs your gonna get pivot grabbed

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
I've discovered that I play like Wario when fighting ICs... I jump most of the time. (It's like I can air camp.)

Also, found out that if your body is between the ICs while your in the air, bair will usually separate. I never knew that worked, so just an fyi.

Top Bottom