• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New mechanics you'd like to see. (No wavedashing and L cancelling discussion)

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Every smash game adds some new mechanics to the already solid formula of gameplay, the question is what would you like to see become a possible mechanic in Smash 4?

I myself have a small wishlist, which only grew upon playing PSA and seeing some interesting things going on there that would have worked better in a smash game, they are as follows.

1) Being able to drop through platforms while performing air moves - This really grew on me while playing PSA and made me realise just how much I wish I could do it in brawl. In fact, I even thought it was possible when I played brawl again shortly after.

2) Platform dropping while laying down - Once again this was a mechanic in PSA that stayed glued to my mind while playing brawl again afterwards.

3) Three attack buttons - I would love to see a fresh class of moves present in a smash game, as much as I love smashes, tilts and specials, with a 3rd attack button you could open up a whole new bunch of options. Perhaps remove the delay needed to perform a tilt by assigning smash attacks to the 3rd button, and tilting on the 3rd button would allow for even heavier hitting tilt moves that only just fall short of being as powerful as uncharged smash moves.

Any other fresh ideas?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Very very minor thing, but I would like to see an air turn mechanic. As in, being able to turn around while mobile in the air (yes I know B-reversal exists).

I would also like to see Final Smashes be implemented into character movesets but as in a lesser form.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Tether rule applied to normal ledge grabbing : brawl's ledge, except if you grab it more than three times without landing, you don't have the invincibility frames.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Back smashes, tilts (might be iffy with turning), and specials. At least back smashes.

I'd like more varied jump styles and options. We currently have the standard double jump, 5 small jumps, Yoshi's double jump, Peach's float, and gliding. Maybe having a super jump ala SMB2 Luigi an aor walk second jump, or a directional fling second jump (like Fire Fox or Quick Attack) Varying amounts of "puff" jumps could be good too. Kirby might get many small ones while Dedede gets three bigger ones for a total being the same but in a different way.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Air Dashes
Chains
Special Canceling
Jump Canceling
Dash Canceling

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
While charging a Smash attack, you can do a full turn (like Falcon Punch in Brawl) and use the fully charged Smash in the complete opposite direction.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Very very minor thing, but I would like to see an air turn mechanic. As in, being able to turn around while mobile in the air (yes I know B-reversal exists).
It's weird to me that I don't mind having air turning or not.

Maybe having a super jump...
Falco already has something like a super jump. Do you mean to go further than that?

I think the most practical thing that I would love to see is an auxiliary move/button. It would perform a unique ability for the character, key in that it is mostly free from directional input. Specifically, I would like to see most special projectiles, like Fox's laser and Mario's fireball, that would be benefit from having their own button moved to the auxiliary button. This frees up the character to perform their special projectile while moving and without having to execute a tech or briefly release the control stick.

For characters where this does not apply, or you go for further with, you can have them perform something unique instead. For example, Link's auxiliary move can be raising his shield, much like when he normally stands, to give a small area of physical and projectile resistance, allowing him to move more aggressively against characters that are difficult to maintain zoning. Samus can have her down special replaced in favor of having her turn into the morphball for an extended period of time. Just brainstorming, here.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
1 and 2 are good suggestions. We already have light, medium, heavy, and special attacks though, so unless they can think of an attack type that's inherently different and adds a new utility to your repertoire I would leave it as is.

Edit: Upon further reading your third suggestion, it's pretty good too.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Momentum: Gives stun armor to heavy weights if they are running full speed

Example: Would allow Bowser to run through a few weak projectiles

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
I would say air dashes because it could possibly allow wavedashing (I know you said not to talk about, sue me) while also giving casuals an easier way of air dodging.

I hope toadstooling stays but is made to be more useful in a way.

Momentum Cancelling off a ledge ala Link's Up-B used after dashing into another attack.

RODO

Smash Ace
They could have some kind of charge mechanic that increases your attack depending on how long you charge. It could change the color of the streaks that your attacks make when they cut through the air, indicating how powerful your attacks are based on color/size. Idk, everything good was already taken that I could think of lol

210stuna

Smash Lord
Wavedashing and L-Cancelling.

Oh...

Really though, the ability to cancel Smash attacks would be nice. Also having armor on some characters/character move's like on Project:M's Bowser.

Pretty much make it Project: Melee.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman

Oh...

Really though, the ability to cancel Smash attacks would be nice. Also having armor on some characters/character move's like on Project:M's Bowser.

Well, as far as Bowser goes, they sped him up to a significant degree.
He now feels like the Bowser from Inside Story, with speed AND power.
I think that'll do enough to cover for a lack of armor.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman

Oh...

I would say air dashes because it could possibly allow wavedashing (I know you said not to talk about, sue me) while also giving casuals an easier way of air dodging.

I hope toadstooling stays but is made to be more useful in a way.

Momentum Cancelling off a ledge ala Link's Up-B used after dashing into another attack.
Footstooling, you mean?
Yeah, it's been confirmed in; it was seen during a part of the reveal trailer I think.

BentoBox

Smash Master
- The ability to cancel a smash attack with R/L while charging, at the cost of 5%-10%.
- Bring back some of Melee's better mechanics (Ledge, dashdance, etc)

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice

Footstooling, you mean?
Yeah, it's been confirmed in; it was seen during a part of the reveal trailer I think.

Yeah I have no idea why I said toadstooling hahaha! What trailer is that from do you know? I'd like to see it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Maybe allowing the dash to be cancellable into all smash attacks, and not just Up-smash.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Air grabs just popped into my head, I'd love to see a universal one that could perhaps allow for the 4 way throws mid-air.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
If they put in something that would allow for the depth of the Melee ATs without looking completely stupid and being prohibitively difficult to perform.

ItBeVoltage

Smash Rookie
That third button idea would be amazing! (I really hate the way you input them now if you don't have a game cube controller >_<) The 3ds version would work for this really well, since I'm sure not all those buttons will be used at once. R and L for grab and shield, Analong stick and D-pad for movement/ Smash attack shortcuts. Then the 4 other buttons are left for Attacks.

Perhaps it could be right, but its just an ideal layout.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I would like to see a versus option where you can choose multiple characters as opposed to one. For example, if you are playing a 3 stock match you could choose to lead with Pikachu while having Fox and Samus on reserve. The only way to switch between characters is to get KO-d, so if Pikachu is knocked out then the player would spawn as the next character in their lineup, in this case it would be Fox.

Utilizing this would allow for a stronger focus on counter-play in the competitive scene while allowing casual players to mess around more often.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Didn't see anyone post that you can now ping/clash moves in the air now instead of just on the ground. No it's not something I'm suggesting, I just wanted to point out that it's new. I may have missed someone saying something about it, and if I did I apologize.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
That third button idea would be amazing! (I really hate the way you input them now if you don't have a game cube controller >_<) The 3ds version would work for this really well, since I'm sure not all those buttons will be used at once. R and L for grab and shield, Analong stick and D-pad for movement/ Smash attack shortcuts. Then the 4 other buttons are left for Attacks.

They wouldn't be 4 buttons for attacks, one for jump, and the other 3 for attacks sounds pretty sweet.

Didn't see anyone post that you can now ping/clash moves in the air now instead of just on the ground. No it's not something I'm suggesting, I just wanted to point out that it's new. I may have missed someone saying something about it, and if I did I apologize.
That's actually awesome, got any vids on hand that show this off?

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410

I support this idea fully. This would probably be the best layout possible for the 3DS.

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
If they put in something that would allow for the depth of the Melee ATs without looking completely stupid and being prohibitively difficult to perform.

Melee's AT work perfectly fine and do not "look completely stupid". There is nothing difficult about any of the AT's to perform what so ever. Put in the work and you should have it down by an afternoon.

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see a versus option where you can choose multiple characters as opposed to one. For example, if you are playing a 3 stock match you could choose to lead with Pikachu while having Fox and Samus on reserve. The only way to switch between characters is to get KO-d, so if Pikachu is knocked out then the player would spawn as the next character in their lineup, in this case it would be Fox.

Utilizing this would allow for a stronger focus on counter-play in the competitive scene while allowing casual players to mess around more often.

So essentially KoF or Pokemon?

Sounds awesome, great idea.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I always felt Final Smashes were too easy to pull off. If you needed to hold B to charge them for 3 or 4 seconds, they'd be actually quite balanced. Possibly even balanced enough for tournament use.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

I would also like to see Final Smashes be implemented into character movesets but as in a lesser form.
metaknight, ddd, pit, yoshi, kirby, and jigglypuff can already do that in brawl.

I would like the ability to do aerials through platforms.

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
I always felt Final Smashes were too easy to pull off. If you needed to hold B to charge them for 3 or 4 seconds, they'd be actually quite balanced. Possibly even balanced enough for tournament use.

A 3-4 second charge for a 1 hit KO move isn't very balanced at all; especially since the Smash Ball appears randomly and different amounts of damage it takes to obtain it.

If they balanced Final Smashes properly on the other hand it wouldn't be so bad.

A super meter like Playstation All Stars would be quite nice and for the Final Smashes not to be as devastating.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Possibly even balanced enough for tournament use.
Changing the length to execute a Final Smash would not affect balance at all. You cannot even compare a Final Smash to other charge attacks, the difference is so vast.

And holding the B button for three or four seconds? Do you expect the other player to idly sit by? Is fighting over the Smash Ball not enough to earn a dumb, gameplay-void free kill? The only way you could execute a Final Smash in this scenario is that the other player is in a compromised position, in which case why are you wasting your time not punishing them?

Top Bottom