• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
There was a round robin tourney with MK banned.

It was from memory
1. Alphabravo (D3, Falco)
2. Sinz**(Marth,D3,Snake)
3. Kash(Wolf,Olimar,Falco)

I don't remember the rest :(

But seriously, MK is ridiculous. The last tournament I did, I hadn't played brawl in over a month, and I just come to a tournament and get 2nd. It was ridiculous. MK is ridiculous.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Justin is asking for our input on UNM's rules. I told him about standing infinites being banned and planking rules. Do we want to send him a counterpick list/other junk?
Yes.

^The first UNM tourney held I took and all they allowed was FD for stage selection lol.
Lol yeah, the one before that (when Nolan and I top 8ed and had no idea how to play) was all BF until top 8, which was all FD.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
There was a round robin tourney with MK banned.

It was from memory
1. Alphabravo (D3, Falco)
2. Sinz**(Marth,D3,Snake)
3. Kash(Wolf,Olimar,Falco)

4/5? Neil (rob), Dekar (Diddy)6. Goyf (Jiggs)
7. Ax (pit)
8. Zman Lucas

I don't remember the rest :(

But seriously, MK is ridiculous. The last tournament I did, I hadn't played brawl in over a month, and I just come to a tournament and get 2nd. It was ridiculous. MK is ridiculous.
Not sure who was 4th and fifth, but that was the rest.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Oh, can someone pick me up from the airport on friday night?(About 9:45?) I need a ride :/

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Sorry Sinz thats my bday and I'll be out to dinner, otherwise i would :(

EDIT: alright people we need to get our hotels booked and vehicle methods done for genesis.

If you are going to genesis then in your next post I want you to put if you own a vehicle that is in good condition that we can take, know of someone who will let you borrow one (ie your parents), or if there's nothing you can do to contribute to this. At least try asking your parents first before you assume because you never know until you try right?

And who can call the hotels to make reservations for the 17 of us going (please note 2 of these are from Farmington so I don't know if they have their own plans). As well some of the people registered may not go in the end but we should still see about 2-3 hotel rooms approx.

I am going to try and get a hold of my friend to see what the deal is with the possible flights but again no promises with that one.

here is the list of people from New Mexico pre registered for Genesis:

BTK (Farmington)
Arcade (Farmington)
Havox
Tarmogoyf
Sinz
Kashakunaki
Dekar
Overgames
Z~Mangz (aka Zman)
Nocturne (aka tekkie from Socorro)
Erich
Sliraobe God
Twister
Silentmarth
Alphabravo
Twin_A
TW1N

these people need to keep us updated on whether or not they are still going we can make appropriate changes to the plans.

Again here is the map to get there from my place
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

as for our trip down there, we need to leave hellishly early thursday morning because this trip may take us up to 17-19 hours to make (bathroom breaks, stopping to eat, etc.). I think its in everyones best interest if we all stick together while on the road and no one try to be the fastest person just in case one car gets lost. The night before everyone is welcome to stay at my place, although it may get a little cramped, but this way we are all together and can leave at the same time. if anyone else wants to volunteer for sleeping arrangements then please let us know. by doing this we can avoid what happened with our whobo trip (leaving 2-3 hours later than expected). if you have to be picked up before we leave then expect to be picked up early. I'm thinking we should be on the road NO LATER than 3 am. this will ensure that we get to our hotel rooms with more than enough time to spare so we can all catch up on sleep or even go swimming etc.

And yes everyone I know this has been mentioned tons of times but nothing is really getting done, hence my addressing it again.

EDIT 2:
just so everyone can read this post again. I took the liberty of highlighting the important parts that must be read (mostly the gas costs and total costs).
What: Genesis - A Three Day Brawl and Melee tournament - The biggest event in Smash history - Est. $10,000+ Pot

Where: Antioch, California

When: July 10th, 11th, and 12th. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Who: Brought to you by D.B.R.

Why: Quite possibly the largest event in Smash history across the entire globe. With six months left until actual tournament time there are over 250 people registered including participants from NY, FL, VA, MI, WA, TX, Mexico, Japan, Europe, Canada, and more. It would be ridiculous not to attend.

How: With dedication and organization.

Mode of Transportation: There are three methods of transportation to be considered. The first, flying. The second, the Smash Bus. The third, driving which I will cover in the "Gas" section.

Flying - I've done a fair amount of research on this and I can say that this isn't going to happen. I was able to locate some fairly cheap round trip flights around $200. However, after using five different airline sites and looking at three different airports, anything within that price range has already been sold out. Everything else is $300 or more.

Smash Bus - For those of you who don't know what the Smash Bus is it is a bus starting up in New York that is going to travel south into Florida and then head west through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona into Antioch, California. Tickets are somewhere around $200-$250 and other than that not many more details are available other than that free food and drink are provided on the bus along with several setups for friendlies during the entire bus ride. Two issues. There are a limited number of tickets and unless they decide to take multiple buses the occupancy cap. on the bus is fifty persons. This coupled with how close New Mexico is to Antioch, I believe, make this option obsolete. However, I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

Gas: Driving - Classic. I mentioned in an earlier post about purchasing gas here early and placing them in gas cans for use of the trip. After doing some mild research I discovered that at cheapest within the last 48 hours gas prices in California range from $1.80 to $1.90. However, average and highest gas prices found within the last 36 hours yield an average gas price of about $2.30 or higher. It is basically the same in Arizona. Also, the higher gas prices tend to be from the more popular gas stations such as Chevron, Shell, and Texaco, or in otherwords, the more readily available and easy to find gas stations. I think we will save a lot of money by buying as much gas as we can here.

Round trip is aproximately 2,200 miles with 16 hours to get there and 16 hours to get back. Quite a road trip if I do say so myself. As I've stated several times before I think we should take two vans or three cars. Regardless of how many vehicles we do take, gas should be split individually per vehicle, so I will figure gas for a van and a car.

I believe Steven's car gets about 42 MPG on the highway and mine somewhere around 38. I'm going to be not-so-generous and estimate miles per gallon on a car at 35. If anything that should also account for the small amount of in town driving. I will assume gas prices at $2.00 a gallon. With these numbers it would take about 63 gallons of gas to get there and back, so we will round that to $130 in gas. Hmm... that doesn't seem right. Someone correct me if it isn't. Anyways, so per individual (assuming five persons a vehicle) it would cost about $30 for gas. Much better than a $200 plane ticket...

For a van it would all be the same, except I'm going to assume that the van would get, oh, five miles per gallon lesson? That would be 30 MPG. That comes out to about 74 gallons of gas which is $150. How many people would vit in a van? Seven? Eight? We'll say seven so that would be roughly $25 per individual in a seven person van. The plus side about a van is the extra space provided and the possibility of having a setup in the vehicle as we travel with which to play on. Plus, it reduces the number of vehicles we have to worry about.

I think that driving is the best choice here. I'm listening to opinions and other options, though. Now, assuming we go with the driving option, there is the problem of the sixteen hour drive? Do we do that in one shot or do we want to stop somewhere? I want to hear some opinions on this before I do any research. One shot could save us money, however I bet we could probably find housing at some half way point. Though if we do decide to stop that will extend our five day trip already into a seven day trip or so. I'm thinking we could do half way on the way to Antioch and find housing and then on the return trip suck it up and go it all in one day. Again, I think this really needs passenger and participant input on this. What are your thoughts on this?

Housing: I think finding housing at this large of a tournament will be next to impossible for several reasons. The first being how close we are located to California. NY, FL, and out of nation players will be given priority over us. Basically, our priority is low. This is also coupled with the finite amount of housing space avaliable. I think we'll have to look into a motel/hotel on this one. Before I do any extensive research on prices, though, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Food: Well, food can be expensive. Really, I think any extra expenses should fall into this category. The basic amount necessary to survive without being hungry all the time would be $10 a day, I would think. A more comfortable amount would be $20. We could also plan on bringing some food with us if we have extra space in the vans/cars.

Tournament Expenses: Assuming you wanted to enter every raffle, attend every tournament, and obtain every priviledge or memorbilia, it would cost anywhere from $75-$100. $75 is to enter every tournament and if you get that package everything else basically comes free with that.

So, this (not including hotel fees) puts this trip at roughly (assuming $100 for five days of food [which is not necessary]) at $200. Comfort zone would probably be $250. Again, this is without housing costs.

Tournament thread for more information: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211141

tl;dr (did I do that right?) READ THE WHOLE **** POST!

tw1n

Smash Champion
My car has some issues I need to get fixed before it'll be ready for anything like this. It has an oil leak, the alignment is off, and I need to take it to a mechanic due to an internal exhaust problem. If I can get those fixed before genesis then my car is open game.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Axxo, thank you for helping me! If there are ANY other events that are meta banned please send em the results and link. I NEED this data asap!

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Since xyro is asking for MK data, should we just ban Meta for UNM so we can have another tournament, a more recent one, to contrast with?

Dekar173

Justice Man
Since xyro is asking for MK data, should we just ban Meta for UNM so we can have another tournament, a more recent one, to contrast with?
We can ban MK among ourselves, but their tourney page states specifically that MK is reallowed. I remember one guy *****ing about how "everyone hates me cause i use MK, but then I use DDD and beat them again! I'm just a better player than them :[" then getting dominated by one of us, can't remember who, but it was hilarious.

Let whichever scrubs decide to use MK to go ahead and stick with him. Then afterward, we can ban the broken character.

tw1n

Smash Champion
I don't see the point of banning him at the UNM tourney. Unless Dekar starts getting owned by no named scrubs (...NEVER!!!) then I don't see a problem lol. At our other tournaments I can see banning him and not just to find statistics

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
It should also be noted that I didn't enter any brawl tournaments for awhile because I didn't feel like it...not because MK was banned.

There was also the UNM tourney that banned MK.

1st Kash Wolf/Falco
2nd Alpha Falco/D3
3rd Goldenglove Dk/kirby

Not sure about the rest of the results because the anime club never posted them.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
This might be relevant to your interests:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lw3bmJicX0
This was very relevant to my interests. In fact, I want this song played at my funeral ;)

This Is Amazing! Omg! I Just Came!
What I find disappointing is that everything's fine if you came, but if I just came, then there's an issue.

Justin is asking for our input on UNM's rules. I told him about standing infinites being banned and planking rules. Do we want to send him a counterpick list/other junk?
Yes, please ask Justin if I can play melee there. Btw make twikite start posting here

I have a link to the travel plans in my sig, btw.
you should make your signature the maximum size, thick font, bold, underlined, italic, and especially an extremely bright color.

@Kyle: I doubt it, but I *may* be able to allow you guys to use my Dad's Echo for GENESIS. There's probably a 1% chance of that occuring though. You will definitely have to pay for insurance claims if something happens though :p

But guess what. I found out that one of my gay indian cousin's wedding is in SAN JOSE CALIFORNIA, and it's SOMETIME IN JULY. i'm not sure if we're even going, but if my parents are - (If by some miracle chance that it's the same weekend as genesis) my parents may just drive me as well as a few of you guys and possibly even setups over to antioch, then drive back to san jose.
Unfortunately, san jose is along the route to antioch and is ~70 miles south of antioch.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
None of you would happen to know a doctor that would be willing to right me a doctor's note, would you? I need it so badly. Me graduating depends on it.

GENESIS

Alright, listen up. I'm tired of trying to be responsible for everyone, so this is how I'm going to do it. I'm taking my car. I'm taking four other people with me. First come first serve. I need AT LEAST one person I can alternate driving with. We are going to leave probably Wednesday and stay at some sort of half way point. We will finish the trip on Thursday and meet up with the rest of New Mexico.

So either the other drives can stick with me and leave Wednesday or they can do what they want. I'm tired of over exerted myself.

God I'm an idiot, that's it-I apologize, I ws thinking of your friend.

haha, and good point about MK. And you guys are making me really want to play Dokapon...
We need to play, Ax. No joke.

Oh, can someone pick me up from the airport on friday night?(About 9:45?) I need a ride :/
Friday night? I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do that. PM me or call 270-0739 and ask for me if you want to talk more details.

It should also be noted that I didn't enter any brawl tournaments for awhile because I didn't feel like it...not because MK was banned.

There was also the UNM tourney that banned MK.

1st Kash Wolf/Falco
2nd Alpha Falco/D3
3rd Goldenglove Dk/kirby

Not sure about the rest of the results because the anime club never posted them.
Yeah. This one is important because Sinz, who was the normal Metaknight user, didn't place AT ALL.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
None of you would happen to know a doctor that would be willing to right me a doctor's note, would you? I need it so badly. Me graduating depends on it.
What do you need? I might be able to forge for you.

Also, I am trying to clear up my schedule for SWAT .

Thanks Davis.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Alright, listen up. I'm tired of trying to be responsible for everyone, so this is how I'm going to do it. I'm taking my car. I'm taking four other people with me. First come first serve. I need AT LEAST one person I can alternate driving with. We are going to leave probably Wednesday and stay at some sort of half way point. We will finish the trip on Thursday and meet up with the rest of New Mexico.

So either the other drives can stick with me and leave Wednesday or they can do what they want. I'm tired of over exerted myself.
I would like to go on wednesday. I can't drive though, unless someone teaches me and doesn't care about the whole not having a liscence thing.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
We can ban MK among ourselves, but their tourney page states specifically that MK is reallowed. I remember one guy *****ing about how "everyone hates me cause i use MK, but then I use DDD and beat them again! I'm just a better player than them :[" then getting dominated by one of us, can't remember who, but it was hilarious.

Let whichever scrubs decide to use MK to go ahead and stick with him. Then afterward, we can ban the broken character.
Yeah, lets do that. Everyone agree? I don't think anyone there thats not on smashboards will make top eight so it works, at least, they haven't the last two times.

And that was me, that guy though D3 was broken because of chaingrabs and he was furious when he couldn't chaingrab pikachu and I wrecked him.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I think I am fine with switching off for driving Davis.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey guys. There is an X-topia event on Sunday.

#
# Super Smash Brothers (Gamers Anonymous- Sunday April 26th - $15.00 - Tenative 5:30PM)

Its for their state champs thing.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Hey Kash I reserve 2 seats for my brother and I and we can drive too so there you go now theres 3 people rotating. However we should ALL still try to find means of getting there together so no one is left alone in the dark. And I'm not trying to leave this up to you Kash, hence my getting everyone to get off their a**es and do something.

So now you can all safely assume Kash's car is full. Start finding vehicles people. NOW!

Who has free time tonight to call up any of the hotels listed on the front page of the Genesis thread to see how much rates are and if we can make reservations? Step up people so Kash and I don't try and do everything else please. Thanks ^_^

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
i checked on the comfort suites website and a room for 4 people would be 129.99 from july 9-13 (to be safe). according to the op on the genesis thread there will be a "special deal" for tourny entrants, so that could be like ~$100. so we could either get 2-3 rooms for ~$200-300 and split the cost between the people staying in the respective rooms or cram everyone in one cluster **** of a room. maybe we could play neil off as a child haha.

on the othe hand, the hampton is $118 (probably less for genesis entrants) if we reserve now for one room for 4 people. id say hampton would be our best bet here. someone might want to recheck my data cause im probably way wrong on all accounts lol

on a similar note, whos teaming with who for genesis? its never too early to train. derek, you wanna be my genesis partner :)

on an unrelated note, dream theater's album images and words = BEST ALBUM EVER nuff said

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Sorry Zack, but that distinction belongs to Don't Know how to Party by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. No harm no foul, just get it straight next time.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
What do you need? I might be able to forge for you.

Also, I am trying to clear up my schedule for SWAT .

Thanks Davis.
I just need a doctor's note excusing me for my absences or something along those lines. I have about twenty absences, but all of them are excused save two or three. However, my economics teacher thinks it is okay to power trip and not allow me to turn any assignments and automatically fail me. He and the administrative office agreed if I can get a note to them within the next week he will cooperate with me.

That'd be sweet. I think S.W.A.T. would be an easy win for New Mexico... just gotta get match up experience.

i love you kashakunaki
Dude, you da man!

Hey guys. There is an X-topia event on Sunday.

#
# Super Smash Brothers (Gamers Anonymous- Sunday April 26th - $15.00 - Tenative 5:30PM)

Its for their state champs thing.
Hmm... I'll probably be there.

If Dereck isn't going I need a doubles partner.

Dibs on one of kash's seats.
I think I am fine with switching off for driving Davis.
So my car will be me, Neil, Everett, and the twins? That's cool. If we can find a half way marker we can also mix up seating so everyone doesn't get bored of everyone else.

i checked on the comfort suites website and a room for 4 people would be 129.99 from july 9-13 (to be safe). according to the op on the genesis thread there will be a "special deal" for tourny entrants, so that could be like ~$100. so we could either get 2-3 rooms for ~$200-300 and split the cost between the people staying in the respective rooms or cram everyone in one cluster **** of a room. maybe we could play neil off as a child haha.

on the othe hand, the hampton is $118 (probably less for genesis entrants) if we reserve now for one room for 4 people. id say hampton would be our best bet here. someone might want to recheck my data cause im probably way wrong on all accounts lol

on a similar note, whos teaming with who for genesis? its never too early to train. derek, you wanna be my genesis partner :)

on an unrelated note, dream theater's album images and words = BEST ALBUM EVER nuff said
I'll probably check myself, soon. How many of us are going, again? Fifteen or so? I say we try and get two rooms for the fifteen of us. If not, three will do. I talked to DBR and they notified the hotel that due to the tournament a lot of people would be going in and out of different rooms, so the chances of us getting caught cluster ****ing a bunch of people in one room is unlikely.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been informed that I'm supposed to make you guys come to our May 16th tourney in exchange for coming to the one on the 30th. It's in Colorado Springs, so that's like an hour/hour and a half less drive time =D

Also, bowling!

tw1n

Smash Champion
Sweet we have a ride lol. Ya and 3 people rotating on driving sounds fair. Now the next big concern is planning everything else for the trip!!! Hopefully everyone will be able to go. if not we'll cram someone into the trunk next to the bags and give him alot of water and some snacks =D

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Alright Z man thanks for stepping up. The usual capacity is 5 people per hotel room. And kash if you read my post there is 17 of us going but 2 are from farmington and may already have their s*** figured out. So 14 of us from Alb. and one from Socorro (<3 tekkie :p) makes 15 total. We need two more cars that seat 5 people. Again Kash's car is already full. I am going to keep pressing on Lewis to make sure he doesn't last second bail (great guy, best friend, but he has a bad tendancy to do that). If so his jeep may be an option but I don't know how good it is for this trip. But then again it's driven to cali several times and the east coast I believe, so should be ok. And that thing can hold 5 plus plenty of room for bags.

Assume for prices that there are no special deals just in case. If we can fit 15 of us in two rooms then that would be great. BUT we would have to make sure that we keep our noise level down (cough NEIL cough) so as to avoid suspicion.

Sweet we have a ride lol. Ya and 3 people rotating on driving sounds fair. Now the next big concern is planning everything else for the trip!!! Hopefully everyone will be able to go. if not we'll cram someone into the trunk next to the bags and give him alot of water and some snacks =D
And we would have to stop for air and to make sure they aren't dying of heat stroke every hour :/ All the more reason to leave in the night time right?

Kash look into the midway stopping housing. heres the map again so youi know where to look.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
We'll probably only need to take a 3 hour road trip nap break in my opinion. Thats enough time for us to close our eyes, eat, and do whatever else is needed. because we can just sleep on the way down there too. I figured stopping at a Denny's or IHOP for breakfast and lunch for an hour would suffice in terms of a break.

Oh and I call a bed. there I said it :p But it's ok in this fair democracy of a state and trip, I will let you all fight me for it ^_^ and I think Kash should also have a bed. We could set up a rotation and I'm sure we could do 2 people per bed if you guys aren't self conscious homophobes. that way we all get at least one night on a nice bed haha.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Ok guys. Genesis thread has a SideFX update on its last page (currently)

SideFX said:
Housing:

So a few months back, we had announced some hotel deals and were very close to posting up some prices and the hotel we were going to use as the "official" genesis hotel. After negotiating prices, and waiting for the OK from them to put up the info for everyone to book their rooms, the management basically fell off the map, and we couldnt get in contact with them about the hotel deals and what not.

We had gone around some more hotels around the area, and finally got a price deal with another hotel closer to the venue. We are in talks with a few more around the same area as well as the first initial hotel we had talked to. Booking info for those hotels should be up within the week.

Ramada Inn
2436 Mohogany Way, Antioch CA 94509
Phone: (925) 754-6600
Fax: (925) 754-6828

We basically... have the whole hotel to us.. IF you get the reservations in early and book the rooms. As far as how many to a room.. the manager told us "just dont let us know how many you have in the room and we'll be fine." SO... basically she told us to lie to them.. so you wont get charged more per person.

Rooms:

* Single: $52.00 USD (One Queen sized bed)
* Double: $62.00 USD (Two Queen sized beds)
* Executive: $62.00 USD (One queen sized bed and a pull out couch)
* Suite: $78.00 USD (One King sized bed, cough, bar/kitchen, lots of floor space)

Must be 18 or older to reserve a room over the phone.

If you do not have a credit card, it is a $200.00 USD deposit to reserve a room, that you will get back, after they check the room prior to checking out.

If someone else is paying for your hotel room, and is NOT showing up with you at the hotel, you MUST have them fax a copy of their ID card, and their credit card.

FOR THE SPECIAL RATES, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SAY YOU ARE FROM GENESIS, OR ELSE YOU WILL NOT GET THE QUOTED PRICES ABOVE.
This is very good news lol

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Alright everybody, I am willing to pay the 200 safety deposit for one of the rooms. BUT I want to be paid back by anyone staying in the one hotel room I help book. When i am given the 200 back I will pay it back to everyone as well. I will call and make reservations for one of the rooms TODAY. And I will let everyone know what room number to expect so you can request one as well. In my opinion we should do two rooms. Which means someone else has to step up for the other room. David cannot so the balls in your court. Let me know who plans to stay with me in my room (Don't forget we are doing a 7 man room and an 8 man room. But I am going to have buzz kill rules in my room. basically keep it somewhat down and when i say lights out it means sleep. note that will probably be way late and after we hit up the pool/hot tub).

Top Bottom