• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

tw1n

Smash Champion
Valid points Sinz Paul and Z. But one thing that is cracking me up more is that RPG isn't in here to explain things or defend himself. Pink is trying to but he's staying back. All well. Hopefully they come up here sometime to see how it's done right. Assuming we can host one haha.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
I think that's pretty harsh and presumptuous.
Yep, super presumptuous for them to expect a heavily advertised portion of the event to actually happen. The "you don't understand, it's hard!" excuse doesn't really hold up when you realize that everyone in ABQ has attended as well as run plenty of tournaments, that they DO understand, and that they DON'T find it especially hard when the proper preparatory steps are taken.

Anyway, the best advice I can give RPG is to see a psychiatrist. The guy is clearly delusional.

Consider this post from the tournament thread, in response to Tekkie's hope of recouping his travel costs.

That's greedy, but with almost 1000 people attending...
you might get that much back
1000!? One zero zero zero people? This figure is either

A) An outright lie (dishonest and manipulative)
B) An earnest estimation of projected attendance (INSANE)

Let's assume for the sake of preserving RPG's character that it is B. This raises the question, did he actually think he could run a successful 1000-man event with anything less than an entire team of dedicated staff? The potential answers are

A) No
B) Yes (again, INSANE)

Given all the talk of how divided up his attention was (even despite the actual, decidedly sub-1000 attendance figures), it's apparent that he chose B. This comes after a string of similar debacles including things like

- Promises of unspecified "top pros" attending his tourneys
- Promises of things like decisive regional crew battles and other events of similarly unrealistic scope
- Promises that a tourney was happening at all when the venue/con organizers DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHO HE WAS
- This thing

RPG is just not on our plane of reality.

Steven...that post was full of win. EPIC WIN!

Alright guys, that's enough. :) We all get the point. I think that Las Cruces has been humbled enough, so let's not rub in anything more. Walker had a point...the best part was the people and the road trip. RPG will eventually learn how to do this thing.

Now, here's an idea. Las Cruces, are you listening?

Let's hold a tournament, fellow Albuquerqueans, and have Las Cruces come down here. We'll show by example what it means to hold an awesome tournament. :) So let's get planning people. Everett and I could do this when we were 14! Imagine what we could now.

So, in the process of playing the original Smash AND constantly playing n00bs in Melee and Brawl, my skill has deteriorated beyond belief. I need help getting myself back up to speed. Lots of fests for me pl0x.

I'm so down!
Lulz. If anyone isn't holding a fest this weekend, I am happy to do so on Friday or Saturday. Anyone down for an Erich fest? You know what that means: awesome TV set-ups, cool air, snacks, delicious lunch, etc. And then we can go see Megamind later that night. And I'll set up the chess boards too, just for you David. :p

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Nobody is as godly as RPGfan. :D

edit: Oh lord I was the worst tourney host. Tip: Never enter a tourney you are hosting. It's far too distracting.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Chukks, RPG, take a good look at this thread. Except for the ones who are brutal. Seriously, AlphaBravo? :(

I am not a huge typist so I will keep this short. (I lied)

RPG, don't think that what they are saying is unwarranted.

We were promised Crews, Doubles, and Singles. I am a bit disappointed that this Singles tournament was going to be Single Elim, but by the graces of ALB it became Double Elim.

What you must understand when planning tournaments is the community you are catering to. The types of tournament you expect us "big names" to attend has to be a pure tournament, not a mix. This was an exception tournament, I know, but if the Madden Challenge guys say "HEY. COME JOIN! LOTTA PEOPLE!" don't be tempted for a big turnout cause, honestly, a smashfest with our closest friends down the street, is just as enjoyable as playing with a bunch of scrubby people who think they can hang.

Don't take this wrong, my man, but this is a smash community that thrives off smash. All three forms. It would be best not to advertise a tournament on here unless its straight up smash based. Sure you can play other games, but smash is the priority on this board. So unless you feel that you can cater to other groups, cool, but smashers like to know that what they are going 4 hours to is worth going to.

Pros and Cons I can state about this tournament.

Pros:
Seeing old faces
Regulated Pot
Random Raffle Lol
We finished on time...kinda lol

Cons:
False Advertisements of events (Don't Promise what you can't keep. You are not the president, you aren't allowed to get away with it. :D)
Poor time management (Im for blame a bit for that, but the tournament time should have changed if this was the case, I gave fair warning when I was coming in.)
Poor Venue management (I would have said Eff no if there wasnt enough room to move or not enough set ups. I am not sure what the normal venue is in town, but I kid you not, NMSU has that one room that could handle a tourney and then some. It was a great place for a tournament. Better than That other venue)
TO Management and skills (When holding a tournament, your job is to listen to others and put what they suggest into action. Light has been playing longer than I have, and Older. Light left a tournament before for bad TO management and I was their to see it first hand. To bite your guest's head off on being a bit ticked off that things weren't promised and things are not as it should be, is bad. We have come from hundreds of miles to have a good time. Don't treat guests like this. Likewise, I dunno if this is true, but Ill say it anyway, just in case. If it doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it. Hand's off the bracket after the tournament starts.)
Change of venue (Yea...Now, if I had a car, I wouldn't have cared one bit. But I'm on a bus. I wish when I called GameKnights (GK), they could have gave me a mention this may have occurred before I got the ticket. I'd rather not have to do that again.)

Overall, the tourney was a C- for me. The way Tucson tournaments are run is the best way for a state tournament to be ran. I'd invite NM to Tucson, if they be willing for the trip. I also would invite RPG and Pink to come as well so they know how a tournament is ran, since Okami does a damn good job at it.

I don't mind going back to LC for other things than smash because I like to hang out with people and do other random things like that. But as far as pure smashing is concerned, it'd be best if some kinks are worked out, or at least Tucson or ALB handle it.

Or I could come to LC and run a tourney and invite the state. I helped run SAST2, Im a boss. :D

P.S.

A recent SF/MvC tourney here in ALB had only ONE guy running over 5 games at the same time on his own...and he got them all done on time

hosting multiple game tourneys at the same time is no excuse for poor organization and a crappy tournament

if you think it is, then you guys should not be holding tournaments with multiple games

I think the latter half of the statement is true, ya. However, he did run 4 at once. All completed on time. I say he did decently well :D

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Chukks, RPG, take a good look at this thread. Except for the ones who are brutal. Seriously, AlphaBravo? :(

I am not a huge typist so I will keep this short. (I lied)

RPG, don't think that what they are saying is unwarranted.

We were promised Crews, Doubles, and Singles. I am a bit disappointed that this Singles tournament was going to be Single Elim, but by the graces of ALB it became Double Elim.

What you must understand when planning tournaments is the community you are catering to. The types of tournament you expect us "big names" to attend has to be a pure tournament, not a mix. This was an exception tournament, I know, but if the Madden Challenge guys say "HEY. COME JOIN! LOTTA PEOPLE!" don't be tempted for a big turnout cause, honestly, a smashfest with our closest friends down the street, is just as enjoyable as playing with a bunch of scrubby people who think they can hang.

Don't take this wrong, my man, but this is a smash community that thrives off smash. All three forms. It would be best not to advertise a tournament on here unless its straight up smash based. Sure you can play other games, but smash is the priority on this board. So unless you feel that you can cater to other groups, cool, but smashers like to know that what they are going 4 hours to is worth going to.

Pros and Cons I can state about this tournament.

Pros:
Seeing old faces
Regulated Pot
Random Raffle Lol
We finished on time...kinda lol

Cons:
False Advertisements of events (Don't Promise what you can't keep. You are not the president, you aren't allowed to get away with it. :D)
Poor time management (Im for blame a bit for that, but the tournament time should have changed if this was the case, I gave fair warning when I was coming in.)
Poor Venue management (I would have said Eff no if there wasnt enough room to move or not enough set ups. I am not sure what the normal venue is in town, but I kid you not, NMSU has that one room that could handle a tourney and then some. It was a great place for a tournament. Better than That other venue)
TO Management and skills (When holding a tournament, your job is to listen to others and put what they suggest into action. Light has been playing longer than I have, and Older. Light left a tournament before for bad TO management and I was their to see it first hand. To bite your guest's head off on being a bit ticked off that things weren't promised and things are not as it should be, is bad. We have come from hundreds of miles to have a good time. Don't treat guests like this. Likewise, I dunno if this is true, but Ill say it anyway, just in case. If it doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it. Hand's off the bracket after the tournament starts.)
Change of venue (Yea...Now, if I had a car, I wouldn't have cared one bit. But I'm on a bus. I wish when I called GameKnights (GK), they could have gave me a mention this may have occurred before I got the ticket. I'd rather not have to do that again.)

Overall, the tourney was a C- for me. The way Tucson tournaments are run is the best way for a state tournament to be ran. I'd invite NM to Tucson, if they be willing for the trip. I also would invite RPG and Pink to come as well so they know how a tournament is ran, since Okami does a damn good job at it.

I don't mind going back to LC for other things than smash because I like to hang out with people and do other random things like that. But as far as pure smashing is concerned, it'd be best if some kinks are worked out, or at least Tucson or ALB handle it.

Or I could come to LC and run a tourney and invite the state. I helped run SAST2, Im a boss. :D

P.S.

I think the latter half of the statement is true, ya. However, he did run 4 at once. All completed on time. I say he did decently well :D
Hey Utah has made the 15 hour drive to Tuscon. =( Where's our invite =(

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Erich guys, we understand it was poorly done, no point in humiliating someone. We need to host another big tourney here in Abq, have LC folk come up, and they can get a better idea of how to run the tournament. Honestly, when we did NM punds the four corners, the tourney basically ran itself because there were enough of us who knew what we were doing. But seriously, I will host a big tournament if you guys are interested (as in I will put the down payment on a place and collect venue fee). If that is something that everyone is interested in, let me know. And let me know if anyone knows a good venue. We can also do a Brawl tourney, though of course Goyf or someone would have to set that part up. I have wanted to do a big tourney for a while now, and we haven't had one since the four corners.

tekkie

Smash Master
I will host a big tournament
do it :D

i honestly have no qualms about dissing the tournament. it is not hard to run a tournament, even two, especially if there are a total of 22 entrants between them. it's also a billion times easier if you don't act like an *** to the competitors and make up poor excuses for the event you're running being bad. the venue change was a bad idea, changing the venue two weeks before the tournament was bad, the bracket being single elimination would have single-handedly destroyed the tournament (i would have gotten my money back no questions asked), there weren't enough setups, turnout was bad, only a few LC players showed, and doubles and crews didn't even happen.

LC, come to abq. abq, host a decent ****ing tournament. not that we can't, it's that we're lazy *******s who all hate the games we obsess over or something. i have a perfect and 100% free venue here i could probably use if people wanted to make the drive. its open space is like a half court gym. perfectly sizable enough. i never thought borrowing it to run a tournament was a viable option but then i realized four abq players drove 4 hours to LC for a tournament rofl

/nail in coffin

**** is there a way to use the cstick in adventure mode in melee this is bull****

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
Well, after reading all the posts about the LC tourney, I take that it didn't go too well...lol.
I wouldn't mind an Albuquerque tourney.

**** is there a way to use the cstick in adventure mode in melee this is bull****
Camera, pretty much. >_>

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
The fact that you can't use c-stick in single player is why so many newbies think that "pros" don't use the c-stick and it's not allowed.

If I were to host a big tournament, I would have to have full support of the Abq community. Meaning I would work around schedules and such, but I need people to come. Also, I would like Arizona to come. Ideally, I would not charge venue fee for anyone comign from out of state, but that would depend on how many people were coming/what kind of venue I could get. If EP and LC came that would be awesome.

I'm sure we could also set up housing for anyone who came into town. The only thing I am worried about is Abq players not caring any more, and if that's the case, there is no real reason to have a tournament.

tw1n

Smash Champion
I have your back with the tourney bro. And I am positive Light and my bro will have your back as well. Goyf or Dekar and Molly could easily run brawl. We could even try setting up ssf4 and MvC3.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
I have your back with the tourney bro. And I am positive Light and my bro will have your back as well. Goyf or Dekar and Molly could easily run brawl. We could even try setting up ssf4 and MvC3.
Sick man. Honestly, I'm going to need yours and Kyle's help if I do this. I'll let you know man.

Oh hell yea, you'll have my support. Just let me know a date. I'll have plane tickets ready.
Nicknyte, I'm sad that we haven't met. But thank you! I will definitely let you know as this idea evolves.

Steven, I would probably need your experience and assistance if we were to put in SSF4 and/or MVC3. Would you be willing?

tw1n

Smash Champion
Of course bro :) start texting me whenever you get ideas on a good date and all that jazz k. And I will help out in any way I can :)

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
- Promises of unspecified "top pros" attending his tourneys
Naw, you just don't get it. Round 1, Light played Tetsuya! RPG even announced "so, we have some top pros playing right now, Tetsuya and Erich. They are uh, really good, and you should watch some of their videos online"

Real talk

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
He called me his pro rival :p

And I'm sure David and I can use our networking and get some OOS people to come to a tourney here. Mexico smashers have asked us before to host a tourney haha. We could make it happen :D

Dekar could probably get some good brawl people here too

Ronald, I gots you too. If you need help with a big tournament, I am all for supporting you. I've run tournaments before, so I know how to do it. Like I said, if this goes down...it will be ALL of Albuquerque that holds it, so we'll all help! :)

EDIT: Guys...don't ever listen to Peppy again. DON'T DO BARREL-ROLLS. Just don't do it.

KAY, so I'm probably going to hold a smashfest. But everyone knows I hold no smashfests unless they are BIG, and AWESOME. So EVERYONE NEEDS TO COME THIS WEEKEND!!!!! Melee, AND Brawl!!!!!! And then we can go see Megamind afterward later that night. EVERYONE POST AND LET ME KNOW WHICH DAY IS BETTER, THIS FRIDAY OR SATURDAY. :) Even NEIL should come. And then you could even BRING Gabrielle to the movie later. :cool:

tw1n

Smash Champion
I can try getting April 1st off but the problem is that EVERY Friday from here till Easter we cannot get off. Stupid lent :(

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
@Erich: I'm available either day, but given that Nolan and Steven said Saturday is good, Saturday is also good for me.

I'll be there ^_^

P.S. Pinkchukk's avatar makes me want to eat peaches in the most malicious and violent way possible. Peach genocide.

EDIT: Sinz, for the love of god, change the comment about LoL in the topic. It's driving me insane.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
@Sinz - I don't appreciate you telling me "to grow a spine". I'm an extremely nice person who doesn't like conflict. And if you have read some of the posts of the people who were there, they said they were glad I was there to diffuse some problems including Light and Twin_A. OBVIOUSLY NO ONE had a problem with me. We are talking about the tournament not my character.

At the note, the reason I made a post like that is because I'm a natural mediator and just want peace...

I see you guys hyping up and wheels turning for Alb to run something...I'll have to do some hardcore practicing because 9th in my own tourney is shameful! Every time I think that I'm doing really good, I go to a tourney, and I'm sadly mistaken. I think in Tuscon I got like, 23rd?

@NickNyte- Yeah I've seen all the posts. As for the brutal ones, I'm trying to ignore the pure flaming, and get the helpful information. Yours was well put thank you. I took a lot of what you said and soaked up like a sponge. I'll keep in touch.

To people who haven't been so harsh: Thank you for being helpful without being hateful. I am constantly learning and growing

To people who have: Chill out. I've only been in this game 8 months. I'm nice girl, not a effin ice queen.
I noticed. But there is a difference between being a push over and being negotiable. It just bugs me to see people who have such a push over personality. I appreciate you being nice and everything. But, you can do it without the "humble" thing. =/ It just makes you look so fake.

tekkie

Smash Master
I noticed. But there is a difference between being a push over and being negotiable. It just bugs me to see people who have such a push over personality. I appreciate you being nice and everything. But, you can do it without the "humble" thing. =/ It just makes you look so fake.
pinkchukks is awesome

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
It's just the personality that bugs me. It's the type of personality that people will use against him(her). =/

Top Bottom