• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Don't you run track? I could use someone to run with. I'm trying to improve my cardio, but no one runs as well/fast as me or responds well to encouragement.
Haha, yes Davis. I do. If you're trying to improve your cardio, then I'd be a good choice. :) If your number hasn't changed, then I'll call you about it and we'll set up some good times each week and DO THIS!!!!! :p You'll improve, don't worry. :)

Hmmmm...I'm looking forward to meeting you Eikelmann. Yes indeed I am. If you've been playing with those guys, then I'm way excited. When do you get here?

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Hungrybox practice says sup. ;]
But my brother and Hbox have completely different styles so that practice will mean nothing when facing tw1n. Hbox uses a lot of bairs and intelligence when he plays, my brother uses the "run head first into your attack" and "Fall for your dodge roll baits" meneuvers. So all your hungrybox practice will have been in vain :p

Arms

Smash Rookie
lol at anyone who plays samus, what a bunch of scrup nubs. have you ever heard of a samus player winning anything? I havent. case and point

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
@Walker: No, I don't have to put up with Metaknight; that would be why I stopped playing in the first place.

Don't worry Paul it's almost MK time.

Davis, regarding side tournaments at Evo, I can't guarantee any particular games since they'll be happening spuriously in the casuals area. But if you were to ask about any random fighting game, my answer would be "probably". If you were to ask about smash, my answer would be "maaaybe?". If you were to ask about non-fighting games like Starcraft, my answer would be an unfortunate no.
Alright. Sounds good to me. If I went I'd be going for Mortal Kombat most likely, anyways. Maaaaaaaybeeee MvC3, but I don't plan on buying and practicing that game, so it'd probably be the same as Street Fighter 4 for me: I only practice whenever I'm with you or at a fest.

Haha, yes Davis. I do. If you're trying to improve your cardio, then I'd be a good choice. :) If your number hasn't changed, then I'll call you about it and we'll set up some good times each week and DO THIS!!!!! :p You'll improve, don't worry. :)

Hmmmm...I'm looking forward to meeting you Eikelmann. Yes indeed I am. If you've been playing with those guys, then I'm way excited. When do you get here?
Sounds good. I go to the gym Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and am generally swamped the whole work week. If you wanted to try and get a weekly meet up going on Saturday or Sunday I'd be down.

You all forget about my amazing Samus. Best there is. HugS and Phanna are below me.
I agree entirely.

lol at anyone who plays samus, what a bunch of scrup nubs. have you ever heard of a samus player winning anything? I havent. case and point
No, but I have heard of a Samus being incredibly good and shouting racial profanities /Wes

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
The woman in August's avatar heard the rumor that if your wrists smell like blueberries, you have cancer.

All right, so I'm trying to get a car of people confirmed for Evo before May. If you register by May 1, you get discounted registration. So far we've got:

Myself - Confirmed (provided at least 3 other passengers confirm)
Nolan - Probably
Davis - 65%

Anyone else? Patrick, Paul, August?

lol, Steven. Feels like second grade.

I cant afford to go to evo even if I wanted to. I'm planning a trip up to chicago this summer, so any money I do have will go to that.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Evo post

Huzzah. Can I put you down as confirmed? I'm going to put you down as confirmed.

Myself - Confirmed
Patrick - Confirmed
Nolan - Probably
Davis - 65%

If Nolan and Davis confirm, I have one more seat available in my car. In any case, I'm going to make the big logistics post now, so that anyone who wants to can look it over and make a decision before discounted registration ends.

What is the travel schedule?
Evo itself takes place from Friday, July 29th through Sunday, July 31st. Google indicates an 11 hour travel time from here to the Rio. I think the best plan would be to leave from Albuquerque on the morning of Thursday, July 28th and check into the hotel that evening. This way we have some additional time to hang out and do whatever in preparation for a weekend spent hanging out and doing whatever and playing in video game tournaments. We would check out and leave after watching (or participating in amirite?) the finals on Sunday. This would put us back in Albuquerque on what our brains would call Sunday night, but what would technically probably be the early AMs of Monday, August 1st.

What should I bring?
Whatever you want. I'm only going to specify two things in this post, which are as follows.

Toiletries. Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. You won't be getting in my car without these. An additional prerequisite is the intention to take a shower at least once every 24 hours for the duration of the trip.

Sleeping bag. The room is a suite with one king-sized bed. Honestly I don't care how this bed gets used. It could be ceded to a different person each night or not used at all or used for giant homosexual orgies every night or any intermediate on the spectrum. I'm just saying, a sleeping bag is a convenient personal sleeping pod which ensures you the ability to opt out of any of the above arrangements.

How much will this cost?
Here's a breakdown of what you can expect to spend.

Gas
It's roughly 1,120 miles from here to the Rio and back. At my car's estimated 35mpg, that's 32 gallons of gas. That's four fill-ups of my ten gallon tank. And yes, I will fill it up each time, not just measure out enough to make it. Don't worry though, I'm not just stealing ~8 gallons of gas. At the end of the trip I will distribute the value of the gas left in my tank equally to everyone in the car.

So, let's estimate a gas price of $4 per gallon when we make the trip in July (the beauty of liberal cost speculation is that it can only leave you with too much money). Given four fill-ups (with the above-mentioned redistribution of funds at the end), that's a total of $160 or $40 per person.

Hotel
The "check in Thursday, check out Sunday" plan outlined in the first section yields a room cost of "$347.00*", with the asterisk helpfully informing us that the figure "does not include applicable taxes and room charges". Applying the same prescient inflation to these charges (the "peace of mind buffer", as it were) that we applied to the gas prices, we conclude that hotel costs can be satisfactorily covered with a contribution of $100 per person.

Tournament Registration
If you aren't planning on entering any tournaments at Evo, skip this part. Spectating is free! If you are planning to compete, there is a $50 cover charge and a $10 entry fee for each tournament you plan to enter. So, depending on how many games you enter, this will be $60 - $100.

Note - Tournament fees are paid AT TIME OF REGISTRATION. Therefore, while they should absolutely be factored into your financial planning, they are not included in the end-of-post totals, which represent approximations of quantities you should have WITH YOU WHEN WE LEAVE.

Food
This varies with the individual. If you want to pack a cooler of your own stuff and achieve a food expenditure of $0, my trunk will probably have space. If you want to go to $20 buffets every night, plan for that. If you want to just search out whatever fast food is handy when you get hungry, plan for that. If you want to subsist on 4loko and adrenaline all weekend...ride with someone else, because I don't know where the hospitals in Las Vegas are. Anyway, it should come as no surprise that when it comes to food money, my suggestion is that you bring enough.

Miscellaneous Expenses
These are anything else you might spend your money on. There will be plenty of them to choose from, and you will probably end up spending money on something. It could be small. Maybe you pick up one of these in an effort to catch the eye of an attractive Chun-Li cosplayer. It could be big. Maybe you lose a $1 money match to Justin Wong and, in a fit of drunken pride, challenge him to a double-or-nothing rematch twenty times in a row. Whatever your miscellaneous expense of choice, I advise you assess your spending habits and prepare accordingly.

Totals
If you skipped to this part of the post, go back and make sure to read everything.

Ok, I've got two figures here.

The "at the very god-damned least" total: $150. You won't get into my car with less. This is the money you can absolutely count on spending. $100 for the hotel, $40 for gas, $10 to bribe your way out of a meth addict's trunk eat from value menus all weekend.

The recommended total: $200 - $300.

Note that all of this is calculated for a four-man group. I've got room in my car for five, so if five people end up confirming, give yourself a fabulous 20% discount.

The list again:

Myself - Confirmed
Patrick - Confirmed
Nolan - Probably
Davis - 65%

Read. Consider. Confirm.

Arms

Smash Rookie
Note that all of this is calculated for a four-man group. I've got room in my car for five, so if five people end up confirming, give yourself a fabulous 20% discount.

The list again:

Myself - Confirmed
Patrick - Confirmed
Nolan - Probably
Davis - 65%

Read. Consider. Confirm.
Oh god, if five go I should get front seat privileges since I confirmed second

^^^^^ Agreed.

Also, twins, I believe I will seriously attempt to pick up my glasses tomorrow. What times are you guys going to be home tomorrow so that I may plan accordingly?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
That stereotypes song is surprisingly catchy.

Also, to be fair to you Steven I'm going to elaborate on why I'm a 65%, so that you aren't left in the dark or caught by surprise:

1. I applied for an internship at Pixar. Should I get the position I'll be gone all summer in California.

2. I need my money, and I need it badly. My dad basically is living in Roswell and my mom moved out. My dad is still paying the bills, but I need to supply for myself otherwise.

3. I will be getting a summer job, though, so I should have the money if I save accordingly for the trip.

4. I also have a cruise that I have to attend at some point this summer, but I'm not sure when it will be.

Those are all the variables affecting my attendance probability. That being said, I'm going to try to confirm. If four people confirm and a fifth wants in, and I'm still unsure, let me know so I can make a decision to commit then or not.

tw1n

Smash Champion
^^^^^ Agreed.

Also, twins, I believe I will seriously attempt to pick up my glasses tomorrow. What times are you guys going to be home tomorrow so that I may plan accordingly?
We're gonna be at work all day bro (quite literal there)

We can take them to work with us so you can grab them from there at any point lol. But if not then you will have to wait for this weekend sorry.

Also Paul. That stereotype song is now one of my favorite songs ever...

Top Bottom