• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

How is everyone here so disgustingly threatened and offended by one word? It's a word. Goyf isn't out threatening women and tying them down to have his way with them- he's typing a word on the internet, WITHOUT actually using its true meaning (you know, the one you're being offended by!)
Words hurt people whether you like it or not. What if one of us was a victim? And then you just toss the word around like it's meaningless. Use it to describe a particularly one-sided match in a game? You're taking one of the most vile acts a person can commit and using it freely to describe a stupid game. It's a positive thing to you. ****** someone in a game is good? That's absolutely awful. Think about the phrases used, like, "get *****." God...

And it's ok if you're not using the true meaning? Really? Ugh. I'm done. This whole thing just makes me sick.

Arms

Smash Rookie
You're taking one of the most vile acts a person can commit and using it freely to describe a stupid game.
Ok, next time I'm destroying someone I'll use the word genocide. Or maybe I have just stumbled upon the greatest word ever. rapocide. or maybe genorape. I must think about this.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Am i the only one that recalls everyone having trouble not saying this word? There's been no talk of "oops i used to do this too my bad roflcopter" only "STOP IT"
i remember the dark times of summer 2009 to. but i'd like to think that we as a community (or at least myself) has matured enough to stop throwing out the word "****" and other offensive words like that around so casually.

granted the word "bodied" doesn't sound much better, but that's a debate for another page.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
i remember the dark times of summer 2009 to. but i'd like to think that we as a community (or at least myself) has matured enough to stop throwing out the word "****" and other offensive words like that around so casually.

granted the word "bodied" doesn't sound much better, but that's a debate for another page.
so are we ignoring the use of the n word too? that word has caused as much suffering as **** and i've still heard it thrown around, past 2009. you can't say you've matured because you stopped using one word.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
so are we ignoring the use of the n word too? that word has caused as much suffering as **** and i've still heard it thrown around, past 2009. you can't say you've matured because you stopped using one word.
the key phrase is "i'd like to think that..." i'd like to think that... =/= actual fact. and after zachbats i've removed the n-word from my vocabulary.

trying to lighten up the mood of this thread.

tekkie

Smash Master
everyone's been so wrapped up in lameness that they forgot the most important thing of all

the true meaning of christmas
the fact that i'm coming up in a few weeks and i wanna play smash

so stop being jerks to each other and someone host a fest <3

edit: i have a great idea can i just say get yiffed instead of *****?

Dekar173

Justice Man
@August- you're going to get offended over a word that isn't even used or directed at you, wasn't meant to offend you in any way, and isn't even being used in the offensive manner.

Yet you purposefully jab at others' tastes (with no reason but to irritate) ?

If you don't understand how this could possibly irritate me, I'll further explain. You are RAGING on people over a word, and yet purposefully attack others' tastes, and are perfectly fine with your own actions.

Get over it, it's a word. He isn't attacking you, and he's not the kind of person who would stand by and let someone be *****, let alone participate in it.

If you want to get rid of the atrocity that is ****, how about acknowledging its existence and ****ing doing something about it?

@August- you're going to get offended over a word that isn't even used or directed at you, wasn't meant to offend you in any way, and isn't even being used in the offensive manner.

Yet you purposefully jab at others' tastes (with no reason but to irritate) ?

If you don't understand how this could possibly irritate me, I'll further explain. You are RAGING on people over a word, and yet purposefully attack others' tastes, and are perfectly fine with your own actions.

Get over it, it's a word. He isn't attacking you, and he's not the kind of person who would stand by and let someone be *****, let alone participate in it.

If you want to get rid of the atrocity that is ****, how about acknowledging its existence and ****ing doing something about it?
First off, don't tell me what to be offended by. Just because you're an unsympathetic grouch, doesn't mean you can parade around telling people what to do or think.

I am raging over something I find offensive (and others share this opinion). And you're irate because I say Brawl sucks (or whatever you're whining about). I know you're the argumentative sort, Casey. But you're basically just being a bully and a jerk.

If I thought Walker, or any of my other friends meant harm by the words they use, then this would be a much different issue. However, Walker is my friend, and I'm simply trying to invite everyone here to be more sensitive.

So how about you get over it, and crawl back under your bridge. You do nothing but instigate and I'm sure a lot of us are damn tired of it.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I basically feel like this:

Ok, next time I'm destroying someone I'll use the word genocide.
I 100% understand why anyone would be offended by the use of 'get *****' or "that's gay" (address this too please, I hear people who say get ***** isn't ok while using this). The problem is that you're using a demeaning term as a joke about a game. Whether it's any specific one shouldn't matter. It's either ok to say get ***** you gay a** n***** f**, or none of it is.

I'm not really into arguing this though. If you want to talk about it, real life is way better than a stupid internet forum.

Arms

Smash Rookie
It's either ok to say get ***** you gay a** n***** f**, or none of it is.
get ***** you gay *** ****** ***. I'm going to say this every time I win just because of how awesome i think this is.

But really. Some people have different ways of expressing ****. If you don't like it, I think it's earmuffs time.

haha muff

tekkie

Smash Master
I 100% understand why anyone would be offended by the use of 'get *****' or "that's gay" (address this too please, I hear people who say get ***** isn't ok while using this). The problem is that you're using a demeaning term as a joke about a game. Whether it's any specific one shouldn't matter. It's either ok to say get ***** you gay a** n***** f**, or none of it is.
i dont care if you call stuff gay. like the ice climbers. they're gay. i'm bi and trying to date a cute guy. but if you chaingrab me i'm still probably gonna scream OMFG THATS SO GAY (at least on the inside)

(i'll probably scream the rest of your example sentence too)

Napos

Smash Ace
Thats cool man, just never knew, lol.

Anyways There is a lot of heat in here, so much heat...I'm about to take my shirt off.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
i dont care if you call stuff gay. like the ice climbers. they're gay. i'm bi and trying to date a cute guy. but if you chaingrab me i'm still probably gonna scream OMFG THATS SO GAY (at least on the inside)

(i'll probably scream the rest of your example sentence too)
I don't mind that, but if you say it's ok to say "that's gay" but not "get *****", I consider that a serious problem. Putting a negative connotation on one but not the other is really bad. Insulting one is ok, but the other isn't?

tekkie

Smash Master
I don't mind that, but if you say it's ok to say "that's gay" but not "get *****", I consider that a serious problem. Putting a negative connotation on one but not the other is really bad. Insulting one is ok, but the other isn't?
i use both, regularly. also, EAT **** YOU ********** and such things because creativity is half the fun

i'm still partial to velveeta

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Do people honestly feel oppressed by a request not to use the word **** (or gay or n***** or f*****)? I mean, I used to use all of those words (well, minus the n word) a lot, but I've made an attempt to stop because, as it turns out, people find them offensive. Now, if the people getting upset about those words had just been sanctimonious censors, I might have gone on using them as a kind of "**** you". But in fact they were people I respect, whose psychic comfort I value over my own right to be tasteless. For example, not saying **** around Daisy is a small concession to make to a woman who allows me into her home to play video games into all hours of the night. Not saying certain things around certain friends is a small "price" to pay for the pleasure of their company and the assurance that they are at ease. I put price in quotes because at this point it's not a price at all. I feel about 400% more expressive without those words to fall back on. They just take most conversations to stupid, reductive places. In the end anyone can say whatever they want whenever they want. But isn't it worthwhile to make an intuitive assessment of each situation? If you want certain job interviews to go as well as possible, maybe don't say clowntits. If you want certain social situations to be as comfortable as possible for everyone present, maybe don't say ****.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Steven, I don't think anybody feels repressed because people don't want other people to say "****". At least i don't. I just feel very strongly that it's really bad morally to exclude some insults while allowing others.

Basically, it shouldn't be how you're saying something, it should be the intent behind it.

Did nobody else feel that it wasn't ok to say "shut up" but it is ok to say "be quiet"? Both times you're saying "I don't want to hear you talk, go away", so why is one ok but not the other? I actually will try to stop (saying ****), because it does offend people, but that doesn't detract from the fact that there is still a huge problem other than my choice of words in a given situation

tekkie

Smash Master
i don't think we need to take a moral inventory on which words are okay to use, i'm pretty sure no one cares about anything except for this one instance and that it won't be hard for people to hold back in this case. even if it's inconsistent for all practical purposes we don't need to turn this into a big deal :p

HEY

HEY NOLAN

I'LL BE THERE SOON FOR SMASH

AND WE'LL PLAY

SMASH

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Steven, I don't think anybody feels repressed because people don't want other people to say "****". At least i don't. I just feel very strongly that it's really bad morally to exclude some insults while allowing others.

Basically, it shouldn't be how you're saying something, it should be the intent behind it.

Did nobody else feel that it wasn't ok to say "shut up" but it is ok to say "be quiet"? Both times you're saying "I don't want to hear you talk, go away", so why is one ok but not the other? I actually will try to stop (saying ****), because it does offend people, but that doesn't detract from the fact that there is still a huge problem other than my choice of words in a given situation
I guess I was mostly referring to Patrick who immediately started trolling with a stream of ****. Anyway, there will always be different ways of saying things that are more or less tactful. No two phrases have the same underlying, inflexible meaning. There is only the meaning that the speaker pragmatically conveys and the meaning the listener perceives, and the attempt to eliminate the disconnect between the two.

remember when we talked about smash brothers video games
Nope!

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I agree about there being better and worse ways of stating your meaning. But I feel that it's semantics to say that everything has it's sole literal definition, not because it isn't true, but because the general intent between two different things is similar. Telling someone to get f***** up isn't really better than get *****.

It's already been stated that nobody here actually thinks anybody uses any of these statements literally, so it's all about it offending someone. Hence why I said I would at least try to stop. I just want people who are offended to think about how saying other insulting/demeaning/hurtful things also shouldn't be ok in my opinion.

Blah, conveying points is harder than it looks

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I remember you having a problem with the N word, and that's it actually. (obviously aside from this)

I've heard the words "that's so gay" come out of your mouth on several occasions.

I'm not calling you out specifically BTW. Too many people say this while decrying other words. Just be fair. Don't tell people not to say something easily construed at awful while using something else that is in the same boat.

/rage

I remember you having a problem with the N word, and that's it actually. (obviously aside from this)

I've heard the words "that's so gay" come out of your mouth on several occasions.

I'm not calling you out specifically BTW. Too many people say this while decrying other words. Just be fair. Don't tell people not to say something easily construed at awful while using something else that is in the same boat.

/rage
I'm not going to try to defend myself, because yes, in the past I have used terrible words. I regret it a lot and wish I didn't. But fitting in mattered to me a lot more then. Since at this point I'm practically withdrawing myself from this community, I'm trying to not care what everyone thinks of me anymore.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
isince at this point i'm practically withdrawing myself from this community, i'm trying to not care what everyone thinks of me anymore.
: / \ : :| |:

hurts me deep. there keeps being strides from people to "leave the community." what community? I CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME WE WERE A COMMUNITY. we dont fit such a word. we're just nerd friends who meet up to play games and go to waffle house. WHY IS THERE SO MUCH SERIOUS BUSINESS

**** YOU GUYS

Arms

Smash Rookie
hurts me deep. There keeps being strides from people to "leave the community." what community? I can't remember the last time we were a community. We dont fit such a word. We're just nerd friends who meet up to play games and go to waffle house. Why is there so much serious business

**** you guys
NO **** YOU

maybe one day I will understand how people can be offended by words used jokingly.
not today i guess ill check again tomorrow

tekkie

Smash Master
i agree with nolan. it isn't so much "i don't wanna be part of the community" so much as "i don't wanna hang out anymore". :(

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I'm not going to try to defend myself, because yes, in the past I have used terrible words. I regret it a lot and wish I didn't. But fitting in mattered to me a lot more then. Since at this point I'm practically withdrawing myself from this community, I'm trying to not care what everyone thinks of me anymore.
I don't think badly of you at all, and I don't want you to withdraw from the community.
I don't take offense from anything you guys do, because everything is joking among friends.

I'm sorry if I was in any way involved with your decision to withdraw. Please don't go because of how we act/talk, we are usually sad when you aren't around.

The only reason these words are offensive to you all is because you still go on about how offensive they are.

Stop caring about them being offensive and they'll cease to be offensive. Simple as that.
Hi Ian
I agree.

Also, holy piss at a filtered vote. Results about MK ban: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=310386

>75% yes

I say community because it seems like some people don't care about friendships. :(
But maybe I'm just a stupid, worthless, person who causes needless drama.

tekkie

Smash Master
Top Bottom