• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new olimar stage counterpicks: we are back! pikachu

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
diddy time

Battlefield 4
Final Destination 1
Smashville 2
Yoshi's Island 3

Castle Seige N/A
Halberd 3
Lylat cruise 4/5
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino N/A
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 2
Pictochat N/A
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 2
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) N/A
Norfair N/A

also, on a side note, i just realized all the stages in the last section of the list are banned in my area xD

Fino

Smash Master
diddy time

Battlefield 4
Final Destination 1
Smashville 2
Yoshi's Island 3

Castle Seige N/A
Halberd 3
Lylat cruise 4/5
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino N/A
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 2
Pictochat N/A
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 2
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair N/A

also, on a side note, i just realized all the stages in the last section of the list are banned in my area xD
They usually are, but it's good to discuss them since you have homos like iowa who have stages like port town and sky world legal.
I know nothing about the diddy match-up... so I'm going to keep quiet for now ^^;

~Fino

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Yoshi's island is the best neutral again diddy. The platform ****s with his bananas way more than on bf, and the uneven terrain can mess them up as well. 4 or 5 for yoshi's

Fd is 2, 1 is too brutal and the fact that oli can still camp slightly balances the fact that diddy can start dominating.

Smashville 2? 3 imo, Diddy can gimp oli so much and the platform is a total life savor.

Bf, 3 or 4 are acceptable I think.

Lylat is not 5, maybe 4, but not 5. Its good, but it's not wtf good or anything.

RC is 2 I think. It ****s with his bananas a lot, but diddy still ***** oli in the air overall. It may be 3 though, I'm not sure.

I feel like Brinstar could be higher as well, it looks like a level that would benefit oli more than diddy, but I hate the level itself, so I couldn't give too much input.

Weruop

Smash Ace
id gladly start helping with this thread

i think we should do 3 or 2 a week though because at this rate, we have about 30 more weeks til we know what to cp against each character.
and thats a long time :/

Noa.

Smash Master
Okay, I'll contribute, but most of this is just theory as I haven't really too much tourney experience. Ignore it or correct it, not too sure.

Battlefield 4
Final Destination 1
Smashville 2
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Siege 3
Halberd 4
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 3
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 3/4
Pictochat N/A
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion N/A
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair N/A

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Battlefield 3
Final Destination 1
Smashville 2
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Siege N/A
Halberd 3/4
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 4
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 4
Pictochat 3/4
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair N/A

Alright, guess it's about time I did this.

Neutrals: FD is obviously the worst neutral to face Diddy on, followed by Smashville, although it isnt as bad for obvious reasons. Battlefield is a good stage to fight diddy on, but it's not worthy of a four. It pretty much just evens the playing field, even though the platforms benefit us more so than they do him. However, a good diddy will know how to use the platforms to their advantage, and not allow them to harm their banana flow as much as you would think it would. Yoshi's Island ****s diddy up kinda bad :/ He basically has to run to corner of the stage to be able to pull out another banana. the platform ****s him and his banana flow up pretty bad and doesnt help him and his aerials, while it benefits ours a lot more. The dips in the stage dont really matter in the matchup, tbh. It's definitely the best of the four neutrals to face diddy on. And possibly even out of the other four neutral/counterpick stages.

I can't really decide on halberd in this matchup... the size and layout of the stage would be beneficial to bananas, but the low ceiling doesnt really benefit diddy... at all lol. And we know how much it helps us. lingering between a three and a four on this one.

Delfino helps us out quite a bit, tbh. Purple pikmin are pretty great against diddy. the layouts of the stage are amazing for messing up diddy's flow, as well as playing overly campy, which we, to an extent, have to do. Stadium is sort of the same... but not nearly as much lol. I think a four on delfino and a 3 on stadium sound right. Also, picto I feel the same as Delfino about, although i could see it being a three.

Frigate is another stage i'm not sure about. Diddy is pretty good at getting olimar off stage if he gets a flow going, and works pretty well at edge guarding :/ which is usually what would classify frigate to be a "bad stage" in a matchup. But diddy gets ****ed up by the right side as much as we do, and the second phase is amazing against diddy. Also, as I said in the delfino section, purple pikmin work well against diddy as well.

And for the long awaited section. Why I gave Japes a Four! :D

Okay, now the high ceiling messes us up more than it does diddy, as diddy's kill moves are almost all horizontal. The main platform in the center of the stage is going to **** diddy up pretty bad. It'll be, to an extent, like yoshi's island, where diddy has to run to the other end of the middle platform to pull out more bananas, although it's not nearly as long of a distance that he has to run, haha. While on the right platform, diddy lacks the options required to combat olimar.

-Projectile capable of out camping olimar while he is on the right platform and diddy is on the middle platform.
-Attacks able to hit olimar while he is under the right platform and diddy is on top of the platform (such as Snake's grenades, or Meta Knight's Dair)
-Attack able to combat olimar while dropping from the left ledge of the right platform and Olimar is either holding onto, or dropping from, the right ledge of the right platform.

Diddy... doesnt really have any of those. If there's something else that diddy can do to olimar on japes let me know >.> but the way I'm seeing it, it's no worse than fight marth on the stage (which is hilarious ^^;)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Battlefield 3
Final Destination 1
Smashville 2
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Seige 3
Halberd 3
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 4
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 4
Pictochat N/A
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair 4

siege: the first section screws up recovery and bananas fro diidy badly, and it lets oli pressure diddy, second part, statues stop bananas, just watch out for banana lock, third part is basiclly a smaller, slightly tilting fd, kinda bad i guess

delfino: ill trust you guys on this

norfair: diddy loses 90% of his banana game here, the only reason its not a 5 is because his air game is helped enough to compensate, this stage is always banned on me when its legal

frigate: for once, i don't feel this stage is good, yellows/ purples don't significantly help, layout of first part is diddy friendly and the second part doesn't screw him up as much as we think

halberd: i just like this stage, the slight dip doesn't hurt diddy too much but its similar to yi in the fact that the two fds stacked makes it harder for diddy to keep banana pressure, the short ceiling only helps us

i just want to get one more person to post his/ her(are there any female olimars here?) opinion before we move on

Denti

Smash Master
Battlefield 3
Final Destination 1
Smashville 2
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Seige 3
Halberd 3
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 4
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 4
Pictochat N/A
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair 4

siege: the first section screws up recovery and bananas fro diidy badly, and it lets oli pressure diddy, second part, statues stop bananas, just watch out for banana lock, third part is basiclly a smaller, slightly tilting fd, kinda bad i guess

delfino: ill trust you guys on this

norfair: diddy loses 90% of his banana game here, the only reason its not a 5 is because his air game is helped enough to compensate, this stage is always banned on me when its legal

frigate: for once, i don't feel this stage is good, yellows/ purples don't significantly help, layout of first part is diddy friendly and the second part doesn't screw him up as much as we think

halberd: i just like this stage, the slight dip doesn't hurt diddy too much but its similar to yi in the fact that the two fds stacked makes it harder for diddy to keep banana pressure, the short ceiling only helps us

i just want to get one more person to post his/ her(are there any female olimars here?) opinion before we move on
i main oli! i've been maining him for like ever, but never posted lol but i've read a lot from ya'll.

but idk if FD is a 1.... i've played some great diddy's there and they didn't have a huge adv but a good adv.
i say that cuz when i think of giving a course a 1 i think of fighting metaknight on RC o.0

but more on my opinion, i think distant planet would be a 3, the leaf platforms and the long sloping part to the left is kinda like a camping zone if you play well. and how there are 2 edges to grab in case of diddy edge grabbing.

for pokemon stadium 2 i would say a 3. its depends imo because the stage can morph in the electric tredmill or the ice level and im certain diddy is horrible at those times. but when the stage is normal he has slight adv

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Big stages like FD are being over exaggerated. Sure, it's bigger so he has more room for his banana game, but there's also more room for oli to retreat to. Diddy is a much faster, and much higher priority character than oli, and being on a small, tight stage like bf isn't very ideal. FD gives you plenty of space to work with. I give it a 3.

And some diddy's think norfair is possibly diddy's best level just so you know dabuz, although they also said that it does benefit oli more though.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Battlefield 3
Final Destination 1
Smashville 2
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Seige 3
Halberd 3
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 4
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 4
Pictochat N/A
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair 3

i wanna get on to the next character, do people think this is good?

also dyyne: no...fd is a nightmare against good diddies and shall always be a 1...

Denti

Smash Master
i practice fogo, the 4th best DDD and i beat him most of the time(the stage really matters), i have some good knowledge on olimar vs DDD. lets do this!!!!! YEAH lol

Denti

Smash Master
Battlefield 4
Final Destination 5
Smashville 4
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Seige 3
Halberd 2
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar N/A
Delfino 3
Frigate Orpheon 2
Jungle Japes 2
Pictochat 2
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 2

Distant Planet 3
Green Greens 2
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive 1
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) 4
Norfair 2

This is my first time doing this so plz be willing to critisize my output, i wont mind healthy critisism.

so i have experience fighting one of the top 5 DDDs and i usualy win, and because the stage really matters. so i know a thing or 2 about fighting DDD.

BF- i rate BF a 4 because its a netural and you have advantage due to the match up being 30-70. platforms help loads with combos and keeping DDD in an awkward spot to fight because they dont wana hover their air game above the platforms and once you hit him in the air they are forced to grab the edge to get a chance for recover on the ledge or go from the outside of the platforms to entering the middle area where you can often juggle them. i dont believe though it is the best started against DDD that i believe is FD

FD- i gave FD this rating because they cant do anything against you here other than hope to get gimped kills... (or mind game kills... but that goes for any battle really...) and if you play smart, that wont happen. you'll control everything, other than recovery, but that happens on any stage against DDD worst position for oli is to be forced into holding onto the edge for safty because F tilt F smash and Bair are crazy control then... thats how DDD will fight you. FD allows distance, camping, no stage interfearnce. when you take DDD here expect to see 30-70 match up with no interfearnce.

Halberd- i can't quite say why i gave this stage a 2, because i think is alright for this matchup, all i know is i visited the DDD forums and they said this is one of the best 2 stages to take an oli, because it takes less damage on oli for him to die by getting hit outa the screen.

Luigi's mansion- i gave this a 4 because of excelent kill of his air game, and oli already plays epic here imo. just camp spam and space, easy to due. this also slows down DDD's camping near the ledge as you recover onto the stage from the edge, because of the solid platform. so recovery is easier. why it isn't a 5 is because there are solid platforms that if you don't play flawless, you wont have much space to avoid attacks..

Smashville- i give smashville a 4 because it just like FD except it takes less damage to kill someone and there is a moving platform that will help both players out, oli still has Advantage, just its not as a dominate match like FD is.

Yoshi Island - i have this at 4 because the stage is small so camping/spamming doesn't happen that easily, camping is real esential to DDD because camping/spamming pressure DDD into making a move, which is often a mistake because DDD can't do much against oli, but everything else in this matchup still ADV oli, there is even a platform you can hide under and kinda spam. grabbing is great here, mabye the best grab game stage aginst DDD oli has

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I've only played a few DDDs, since not many people are stupid enough to use him against olimar >.> But here's a mix of what I do know, and some theorycrafting. I also side DDD, so I somewhat know of his good/bad stages, but not as much as an actual DDD main.

Battlefield 2
Final Destination 5
Smashville 4
Yoshi's Island 3

Castle Seige 3
Halberd 4
Lylat cruise 2/3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 4
Frigate Orpheon 1
Jungle Japes 3
Pictochat 2
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 1

Distant Planet 3
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive 1
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) 5
Norfair 2

Okay okay. So DDD gets outcamped by olimar kinda bad. A lot of his approaches are ****ed up by us too. Soooo that's the main reason FD"s a 5 and smashville's a 4. Lots of room to camp. Another thing that should probably be said is that platforms help DDD moreso than they do us. Battlefield is not a good stagge to fight him on. He can fend for himself if we're right next to each other, and the battlefield platforms are good for him. Yoshi's island i'm not entirely sure about, but i'm not seeing a reason why either of us would get an advantage.

Lylat's platforms work well for him also. Stadium is also considered to possibly be DDD's best Neutral stage (While including Neutral/CP stages). It's still a good stage for us, though (and not a lot of olimars use it...)

Halberd is an amazing stage for us, and is basically FD with a low ceiling, on the second phase. The platform doesnt bother us as much, but on the first phase it can be a problem.

Brinstar sucks

RC and Frigate being a 1 against DDD should be obvious, considering how well he does at the stages, and how good he is at gimping us.

Everything else should be obvious, I hope. Any other questions on what I put are fine though :D

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I think Hilt's seems right. I think I would put Yoshi's Island at 2 though, possibly, just because I think the platform would hurt our camping more than it would effect him.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I can see that too. I can also imagine the dipping of the stage messing up our ground control, and the size of the stage being a slight problem.

Noa.

Smash Master
Battlefield 3
Final Destination 5
Smashville 4
Yoshi's Island 3

Castle Seige 3
Halberd 4
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 3
Frigate Orpheon 2
Jungle Japes 3
Pictochat N/A
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 2

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion N/A
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair N/A

My thoughts on the matchup. Most stages are in our favor in this matchup and DD doesn't really have a solid choice. Maybe Frigate and Cruise, but most DDDs don't like maneuvering on Cruise so they may not counterpick it.

Denti

Smash Master
yeah idk if RC can be a 1, DDD couldnt maneuver like a champion there lol
RC - 2

and i actualy hafta say frigate at 1 now... because the stage works so crazy fantastic with DDD against oli, cuz there isn't much place to run, and once your off the ledge its going to take lotsa damage to recover but odds are you will just die lol in other words its a small stage with little dips to mess you up, a few platforms, and the stage moves, but its stable enough for DDD, but not stable enough for our bad air game and recovery. the stage is also one piece of land, its not like RC or Japes, we can't avoid that well here, i'd ban this against DDD users

Frigate - 1

but i stil gota say luigi's mansion at 4, so beastly for oli! especialy against not so talented DDD's... but its not perfect because once your off gaurd you can't avoid easily after that

Luigi's mansion - 4

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Battlefield 4
Final Destination 5
Smashville 4
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Seige 4
Halberd 3
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 2

Brinstar 2
Delfino 3
Frigate Orpheon 2
Jungle Japes 1
Pictochat 3
Pirate Ship 2
Pokemon Stadium 2 2
Rainbow Cruise 1

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 5
Port Town Aero Dive N/A
Norfair N/A

just stick to neutrals as CPs and this matchup is easy,

halberd: uptilt is probably dededes best kill move, etleast in my experiences, so i would rather not pick it

frigate: one of the few matchups where ddd can EASILY exploit the right side with his massive grab range+bair, avoid

japes and RC: obvious

Denti

Smash Master
i agree with japes actualy, i'd ban it aginst DDD mains

i'd probably take then to FD unless i know their skill level is AMZING then i'd take them to luigi's cuz skill is less shown from a DDD their haha

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
2 things, anyone wanna try to make a reasonable list for ddd? (im too lazy right now)

and i would like to change distant planet to a 1 vs MK, i just fought one there, it is amazingly good for him, he can shark olimar forever on the right side with ease, and the left side, because its sloped up, make defending hard, trust me, if he nados above the sloped part, but below where you can up-b, NOTHING can stop the nado, and if spaced right he can just grab out of it when he lands, its absolutely ridiculous

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Yeah, distant planet seems like it would be kinda like whoever gets the lead first will **** from then on, and mk is probably more likely to initially get the early lead.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Battlefield 3
Final Destination 5
Smashville 4
Yoshi's Island 3

Castle Seige 4
Halberd 3
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 3
Frigate Orpheon 2
Jungle Japes 2
Pictochat 2
Pirate Ship 2
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 2

Distant Planet 3
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive 1
Norfair 3

final list, anything wrong before i edit, and hilt, you need to add the second chart of cahracters

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I thought castle siege at 4 like you had before was better than 3 personally.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I agree with your list Dabuz. Only things I'd need to say is that I think battlefield is a 3 instead of a 4 and that mansion is probably a 5. The stage really isn't good at all for DDD, at least in this matchup. Pirate ship should be a 2, as it isn't a good stage for DDD in general and is good enough for us.

DDD boards actually have halberd as a CP against us O_o interesting. I still think it benefits us more than it does him though, but meh

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ok, ill edit the list a little later, and trust me, considering most oli's ban RC, and frigate=lots of purples, halberd is an amazing ddd stage in this MU, well, not amazing, but one of the better ones, considering he kills alot with vertical kills as welll

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
MARTH TIME, i will post my list later, i love/ hate this matchup so much

also, from this moment on, i will include pictures for characters on the OP

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard

Battlefield 3
Final Destination 4/5
Smashville 3/4
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Seige 2/3
Halberd 4
Lylat cruise 3
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 4
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 4/5 <3
Pictochat 3
Pirate Ship N/A
Pokemon Stadium 2 N/A
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet N/A
Green Greens N/A
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive 1
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) 4/5
Norfair 2

Marth can make use of the platforms on battlefield, but not so much that's it's noticeably better than us. I'm starting to lean more towards 3 and 4 for smashville and FD respectively, just because i don't think the huge size makes AS big of a difference as some people think against marth. Against other characters it does but marth is good at closing in on us so it doesn't matter as much. Yoshi's island platoform setup is amazing for us against him. And he can't take advantage of them as much.

Frigate is thought to be really good against marth due to the purple/yellow pikmin and the fact that the right side hurts marth almost as much as it does us. However, marth is extremely getting us off stage and edge guarding us. The mercy platforms on the second phase don't help us as much as marth isn't like falco or whoever and actually is able to go off stage and effectively edge guard us well. Also the second phase is too good for marth, especially if he has the low ground.

Japes - This is the matchup that made me love japes so much <3 Marth just can't do anything if olimar is playing as gay as possible. It's basically the same situation as fighting diddy on the stage. Japes isn't one of marth's good stages to begin with, as well. I've explained oli on japes enough. It's most likely only a four though. But I can completely see it being a 5.

Everything else should be self explanatory.

Denti

Smash Master
Battlefield 3
Final Destination 3
Smashville 4
Yoshi's Island 4

Castle Seige 2
Halberd 4
Lylat cruise 4
Pokemon Stadium 1 3

Brinstar 2
Delfino 4
Frigate Orpheon 3
Jungle Japes 4/5 (agree with hilt! :D )
Pictochat 3/4
Pirate Ship 2
Pokemon Stadium 2 2
Rainbow Cruise 3

Distant Planet 2
Green Greens 4
Luigi's Mansion 4
Port Town Aero Dive 1 ew
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) 4
Norfair 2

i agree with Hilt on most except FD, i feel its a 3 because i see the matchup in marth's favor and FD is flat, so i wouldn't think it a good idea to want to be at FD but instead go to a stage where its not one flat stage.

I would CP Halberd, Japes, or luigi's mansion. because halberd has the stage dip and the floaty platform along with easy upsmash kills, japes for hilt's reasons :D and luigis to stop air game..

Top Bottom