• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Play Control: Gamecube games for Wii

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yeah, it's not like there were fans who DIDN'T played those games and now get a second chance. =/

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The Gamecube versions are still there, they might be a little bit harder to come by but it's not like they're exactly rare.

The demand for those games don't seem to justify re-releasing them with new controls.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The Gamecube versions are still there, they might be a little bit harder to come by but it's not like they're exactly rare.

The demand for those games don't seem to justify re-releasing them with new controls.
I heard Mario Power Tennis' demand actually did justify a rerelease.

You know how some games go down then up in value as time passes? Like Final Fantasy VII is still worth $60.00?

Mario Power Tennis (gamecube version), according to IGN, is one such game, with a value of about 30(?) dollars used. (At least prior to New Play)

Not that I was a fan of the gamecube original, though.

Full Metal X

Smash Cadet
Nintendo just screwed us all in the....

Too lazy to come up with new games, so they use old games controlled with the Wii remote?
Wii controls stink.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
*raises hand*

The potential of online Metroid Prime 2: Echoes multiplayer makes me happy inside.
Now that would be a reason to buy the exact same game over again. If 3rd parties would be able to get their hands on that, then I would be one happy guy!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Rawrgh!

This still upsets me..and...didn't they say they were going to add a little more content? That was the only thing that made this the least bit tolerable, hoping for Melee or such with more characters or something bizarre, maybe I just dream.

Plus, they aren't giving me Pikmin 3, theyre giving me the other 2..amazing as they were, I already own them both!!

And where's mah ****in' new DK platformer Nintendo? y'know...the real one? I liked JB, but stop pushing it on the DK fanbase!

And for those of you who never played Power Tennis, it's actually really great, dunno how it'd be with Wii controls, though.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Rawrgh!

This still upsets me..and...didn't they say they were going to add a little more content? That was the only thing that made this the least bit tolerable, hoping for Melee or such with more characters or something bizarre, maybe I just dream.

Plus, they aren't giving me Pikmin 3, theyre giving me the other 2..amazing as they were, I already own them both!!

And where's mah ****in' new DK platformer Nintendo? y'know...the real one? I liked JB, but stop pushing it on the DK fanbase!

And for those of you who never played Power Tennis, it's actually really great, dunno how it'd be with Wii controls, though.
Why would you want melee: New Play Control?

I've never met anyone who actually likes waggle based smash attacks with the nunchuck-wiimote combo in brawl.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
i just want to say that i got the new play control pikmin game today and i love it. the controllers even though its wiimote/nunchuck are actually better than gamecube controller. and with the ship log saving thing that you can replay anyday, thats great!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Shhh, Mr. Rogu you're suppose to hate it cause it's a port and teh Gamecube-to-Wii ports are teh evil. lol :p

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The Halloween Captain
Why would you want melee: New Play Control?

I've never met anyone who actually likes waggle based smash attacks with the nunchuck-wiimote combo in brawl.
They could remake Melee with online play, and give you 4 different control options like in Brawl.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
How the hell could anyone support this new play sh**?

The only games worthy of a re-release with new controls are the Metroid ones, but that's just about it.

Common people, don't buy into this crap. We want new games, not remade ones. Nintendo just wants to make money without putting in any effort.

Wii controls usually mess up the experience anyway... except for Metroid, Zelda, and a few others.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
How the hell could anyone support this new play sh**?

The only games worthy of a re-release with new controls are the Metroid ones, but that's just about it.

Common people, don't buy into this crap. We want new games, not remade ones. Nintendo just wants to make money without putting in any effort.

Wii controls usually mess up the experience anyway... except for Metroid, Zelda, and a few others.
People buy into it because Nintendo is really, really good at making good gameplay.

Wii controls are always awesome in just about every first party title to date. Metriod, Mario Zelda, Mario Kart, wii bowl, and even games that rely exclusively on buttons such as super smash bros. brawl have better controls than pretty much any other game ever created

Consider the fact that every game on your list was created by Nintendo, and every New Play Control game is also created by Nintendo, and it's not surprising that intelligent people buy these games, as intelligent people realize that the awesome games with awkward controls of 8 years ago, redone by Nintendo with better controls, are still awesome games 8 years after release.

I still want more new games though:(

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
NPC Wind Waker would be pointless, but a Master Quest version would be a good idea.

I'd like to see a Wiimake of Soul Calibur 2, with all 3 exclusive characters(Link, Spawn, and Heihachi), and online play.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
You know what? this is for the people that did'nt get the first titles but want to play the other games in the series,eg,metriod prime series,pikmin series
I could see a remade wind waker coming out,possibly after the next phantom hourglass comes out,
If you want hard core games,you have a fair few to get,you just have to find,you have your staples like mario,zelda,metriod,but you also have games like battilion wars,fire emblem,okami,madworld,house of the dead:overkill,deadrising:chop til' ya drop,disaster,zack and wiki,ToS:Dawn of a new world,any need to continue?
there doing this cause you can get all the other games,(nes,snes,n64)on the vc,but gc games are far too big.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, except they've never done a series of remakes, the generation after, before. The point of remakes is generally to greatly enhance the original game with new technology and bring back a game which is fairly old. These games are having different controls slapped on and are being brought back shortly after their first release (relatively speaking).

This is clearly a money-making scheme, don't kid yourself.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yeah, except they've never done a series of remakes, the generation after, before. The point of remakes is generally to greatly enhance the original game with new technology and bring back a game which is fairly old. These games are having different controls slapped on and are being brought back shortly after their first release (relatively speaking).

This is clearly a money-making scheme, don't kid yourself.
You do realize they've never done remakes at all before, right?

This is the first gen. that any company has had the audacity to insult it's fanbase with any remakes at all. Before this generation, there were simply no remakes. Not only that, but most off the wii-makes are PS2 ports with bad controls slapped on, and no graphical improvements whatsoever.

I suppose it all started with Super Mario 64 DS, which was a good technical demonstration of the DS, but it was still Super Mario 64.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
They could remake Melee with online play, and give you 4 different control options like in Brawl.
That'll never work. Melee's too fast for online. SamuraiPanda theorized that's online the reason Brawl had to be slow down.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
You do realize they've never done remakes at all before, right?
Wait, what?

Did you pretty much ignore the GBA?

They remade Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, Yoshi's Island, and of course

They've remade games a ton before, A lot of the good releases for the GBA made it a lot like a handheld Super Nintendo, but like Firus Said, that was OK because the GBA was around with the gamecube, There was a Nintendo 64 in between the the Super Nintendo and the Gamecube, some of those games were hard to come by. They also had a ton of other remakes too. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS. Super Mario Bros. was remade for the Gameboy, (though I didn't play Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green), Fire Red and Leaf Green were a remake of the original Pokemon Red and Blue (I did play Red version, pretty fun, lost interest in subsequent pokemon generations).

Nintendo has done a ton of remakes, and like Firus said, the only reason it's mildly offensive this time around is becuase A, they aren't offering a whole lot of new Core titles, B gamecube games really are fairly recent in their history.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, there's also Metroid Zero Mission, a remake of the original Metroid. Super Mario All-Stars was a SNES game compiling the three Super Mario Bros. games for NES with improved sound and graphics (which were actually worth it because it was three games in one, and back then technology jumps between generations were pretty big; now they're minimal at best). Then there's the NES Classic set last generation for GBA, OoT Master Quest, etc. Just no remakes in this crappy fashion before.

Remakes are fine -- in fact, I'm quite a fan of them when they're done well. Metroid Zero Mission, for example, is a great remake; it does a good job capturing the original game while adding some good upgrades like crouching, diagonal shooting, and a much lower difficulty level. I'm all for difficulty but the original Metroid is near impossible, because every time you die you have 30 health and no Energy Tanks and have to spend an hour replenishing it only to go and fall into the lava, losing half of it again.

And from what my friend tells me, the NES is unable to handle the number of items on the screen during the Mother Brain battle so it lags like craaaazy, making it even more fun. So he's stuck there and has been for quite some time.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If Metroid Prime for the New Play Control actually adds new content or makes it worthwhile in some way, and it's $30 like Mario Power Tennis is, I'll likely get it.

Otherwise, no, I'm not going to bother. I don't have $30 to waste on a game I already own, no matter how awesome it is. On top of it all, the New Play Control Metroid Prime will have scan-dashing disabled, so no sequence breaking in that way (Space Jump first for the win). So even more fail.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I forgot about existing remakes for two reasons:

1. I have never bought a remake of a game for which I played the original, which leads to
2. I only started playing with the N64, and those games only recently began getting remakes.

It's actually a little embarasing because I also own the N64 remake of space invaders.

Come to think of it though, Nintendo makes quite a few insultingly lazy remakes for the handhelds. Like Yoshi's Island Advanced. This is the first time they were insultingly lazy for a console I guess.

I really want a new game from Nintendo worth playing. It's too bad that I can't actually say New Play control is a problem because, unfortunately, I am still playing Pokemon Platinum and Excitebots is coming out next week, and my impression of Excitebots is that it looks like it's worth playing. so the only thing I can complain about concerning New Play Control is that it exists. But I didn't play most of the originals they are remaking, so New Play Control is actually good for me should I choose to buy the games. I can't even say it's lazy, because the fact is that a lot of time and effort went into the controls, as the sole focus of the remakes was to make the games as fun to play as possible with the control schemes they should have had in the first place. I can't even say the games have insultingly bad graphics, because they are equal or better than most third party graphics on the wii, inspite of being 8 years old in some cases.

I guess I can say that the remakes annoy me on the principle that I'm not a fan of remakes, but other than that, New Play Control just isn't a bad thing. I really wish the resources went somewhere else, but even that statement is misleading, as even if the series flops, the production costs are probably so tiny that they still increase Nintendo's profits, thus enabling them to use more resources in new, future products, as New Play Control cannot last forever simply because there weren't that many first-party gamecube games that would have been better on the Wii. Assuming that "flop" means less than 500,000, and not the "flop" that was Wii music with over 2 million sales. I just wish there was a major first party console franchise that would be out for christmas though. A lot.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
That'll never work. Melee's too fast for online. SamuraiPanda theorized that's online the reason Brawl had to be slow down.
People used to say that about all fighting games, and then Mortal Kombat Deception had online play. Then people said that the reason MK could have online was because it was more slow paced than other fighting games like Street Fighter. Now practically every fighting game has online play. People underestimate what can be done with technology.

The reason Brawl was slowed done is because Nintendo is stupid and tries to casualise everything for the soccer moms who think Wii Fit is a good game and think Wii Music is a game. Those people don't even know what Smash Bros. is and would never play it anyway, and yet Nintendo still waters it down to please them.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The reason Brawl was slowed done is because Nintendo is stupid and tries to casualise everything for the soccer moms who think Wii Fit is a good game and think Wii Music is a game. Those people don't even know what Smash Bros. is and would never play it anyway, and yet Nintendo still waters it down to please them.
Brawl is the best selling fighting game of all time. Not only that, but the actual animations in Brawl weren't slowed down much if at all, rather, the AT's were removed, which slowed down the game only for high-level players.

It's like claiming Halo 3 is a more campy game than Halo 2. The guns shoot at the same rate in both, but in Halo 3 an AT to speed up the rate of fire from Halo 2 was removed, and all the high-level players (and only them) complained that Halo 3 was more campy because of it. Meanwhile, everyone else either didn't notice it or was benefitted by it, but I imagine the matches weren't as frustrating because while novice players would still lose, they wouldn't lose as badly as in Halo 2.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Well, I don't mind remakes all that much, I typically only buy them if I missed out on a good game the first time around or if for some reason, I am no longer able to play the original.

As for brawl, there's a couple of other things that are not ATs, but otherwise essential to having it be a quality game. Simple physics things like a reasonable gravity, and momentum from running carrying over into jumps, and they added tripping (which really sucks), but really, that's a old topic that's been beaten to death and then beaten some more. At this point, it's safe to assume that people who prefer Melee will play Melee, and people who play Brawl will play Brawl. I prefer Melee, but none of my friends play SSB at all any more, (they just sort of quit playing when we all ended up feeling disappointed with Brawl), so I have no one to play with any more. :(

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The reason Brawl was slowed done is because Nintendo is stupid and tries to casualise everything for the soccer moms who think Wii Fit is a good game and think Wii Music is a game.
This is full of truth and win and is going in my favorite quotes.

Brawl is the best selling fighting game of all time.
Yes, due to the Smash Bros. DOJO! hyping it, and because Melee was such a good game (objectively, it was one of those few games that brought even the Xbox/PS2 fanboys to actually play Gamecube) and so successful that people assumed Brawl would be a worthy successor.

Half of the people dropped it a month in, if not sooner.

Not only that, but the actual animations in Brawl weren't slowed down much if at all, rather, the AT's were removed, which slowed down the game only for high-level players.
Um...have you played Melee recently...? At all...? Brawl is a lot slower, not just because of ATs, but because of the physics and everything. Even falling is much slower. There's a reason people make jokes about it taking five minutes to come down in Brawl after jumping.

I still occasionally practice to try and learn ATs, but I don't know them fully yet so I hardly actually use them, and Melee's speed versus Brawl's speed is like F-Zero racers versus an old man with a walker. (Okay, slight exaggeration, but you get my point.)

Not trying to turn this into a Melee versus Brawl, merely saying; Melee is factually much faster than Brawl.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The Halloween Captain
Brawl is the best selling fighting game of all time. Not only that, but the actual animations in Brawl weren't slowed down much if at all, rather, the AT's were removed, which slowed down the game only for high-level players.
And the only reason I can't fly is because I don't have wings. Slower is slower. It makes no difference what the reason is.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
imo it's a waste of time. They should be spending time developing new games and not relying on the WiiShop Channel and WiiWare to tide us over under the big names come along.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This is full of truth and win and is going in my favorite quotes.

Yes, due to the Smash Bros. DOJO! hyping it, and because Melee was such a good game (objectively, it was one of those few games that brought even the Xbox/PS2 fanboys to actually play Gamecube) and so successful that people assumed Brawl would be a worthy successor.

Half of the people dropped it a month in, if not sooner.

Um...have you played Melee recently...? At all...? Brawl is a lot slower, not just because of ATs, but because of the physics and everything. Even falling is much slower. There's a reason people make jokes about it taking five minutes to come down in Brawl after jumping.

I still occasionally practice to try and learn ATs, but I don't know them fully yet so I hardly actually use them, and Melee's speed versus Brawl's speed is like F-Zero racers versus an old man with a walker. (Okay, slight exaggeration, but you get my point.)

Not trying to turn this into a Melee versus Brawl, merely saying; Melee is factually much faster than Brawl.
Yes, I've played melee recently. Without L-canceling, wave dashing, and dash dancing (which is kinda in Brawl, but not usefully so), horizontal movement in melee is generally slower than in Brawl. Falling is faster, but the AT's are a necesity to the speed.

And the only reason I can't fly is because I don't have wings. Slower is slower. It makes no difference what the reason is.
Unfortunately for you, yes it does. I'd imagine one of the things that makes Brawl a better selling game than melee would have to be that it is not as difficult to pick up. Nintendo figured it would be better to clip everyone's wings a bit than retain a lot of the highly technical aspects that are difficult to learn. All in all, the air movement has been greatly improved, and the movement in the game is significantly less clunky than in melee, as long as you only consider the options that are common to fighters in both games.

The problem with AT's is that they are hurdles for new players, and quite often decrease the size of the audience around a game. This is because as they become more and more common among good players, they factor against the "easy to learn" aspect of the game, increasing the entrance hurdle over time. Veteran players tend to love the fact that it's "hard to master," while forgetting that because they are so good, they alienate new players, which eventually leads to either stagnation of even depletion of the game's audience, with a strong chance of the game becoming niche.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yes, I've played melee recently. Without L-canceling, wave dashing, and dash dancing (which is kinda in Brawl, but not usefully so), horizontal movement in melee is generally slower than in Brawl. Falling is faster, but the AT's are a necesity to the speed.
>_>

Are you SURE you've played Melee recently?

Unfortunately for you, yes it does. I'd imagine one of the things that makes Brawl a better selling game than melee would have to be that it is not as difficult to pick up. Nintendo figured it would be better to clip everyone's wings a bit than retain a lot of the highly technical aspects that are difficult to learn. All in all, the air movement has been greatly improved, and the movement in the game is significantly less clunky than in melee, as long as you only consider the options that are common to fighters in both games.

The problem with AT's is that they are hurdles for new players, and quite often decrease the size of the audience around a game. This is because as they become more and more common among good players, they factor against the "easy to learn" aspect of the game, increasing the entrance hurdle over time. Veteran players tend to love the fact that it's "hard to master," while forgetting that because they are so good, they alienate new players, which eventually leads to either stagnation of even depletion of the game's audience, with a strong chance of the game becoming niche.
And the problem with making things easier for new players is that skill becomes a less significant factor and then the veteran players get tired of it and go back to the last installment in the series.

...Oh wait, Nintendo doesn't care about them.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The thing about Super Smash Bros. is that it has NEVER been a difficult game to pick up and learn to play. Just the previous two had features, not including ATs that made them just more competitive, more exciting, and all around more fun. You wanna play melee with a casual player or a newbie? Then just turn items on!

The movement actually is clunkier, in Brawl for three main reasons, no running momentum, seriously, go dash with Fox in brawl and then jump, He will always go straight up into the air, it's ********, in melee, he'd cover a pretty decent distance, sonic aught to be able to cover the whole length of FD from a full speed run, but he can't because running momentum doesn't carry over into the air. As soon as sonic leaves the ground he's as slow as tar, it's ********. Running Momentum carried over into jumps even in classic games like Super Mario Bros. Sonic the Hedgehog, and basically every good platformer. Momentum alone would have made the SSE a lot more fun, then you could speed run levels without feeling a loss in the sense of speed every time you time left the ground.

Which brings me to point two, Gravity, what is wrong with it in brawl, only a handful characters fall at a respectable speed. For floaty characters like Luigi and Jigglypuff it still takes 5 minutes to reach the ground even after I tapped down on the control stick. There's no such thing as fast fall in brawl, it's either slow fall, or super slow fall. It's like every character is permanently carrying the umbrella in melee. It's to a point where there's virtually no danger when over a gap, and over half the characters can go all the way under FD and get the the other side perfectly fine. It doesn't make any sense!

Point number 3, speaking of falling, why the hell is it that every now and then when I dash, my character falls flat on his face? Did they all get drunk or something? Random tripping is the worst thing to put into a video game ever!

Oh, and so everyone understands the magnitude of what I mean be my friends don't play Super Smash Bros. any more. For seven years before Brawl came out My friends and I would play Melee nearly every weekend. Then Brawl comes along, and only a few months later, we're all bored. We play Melee for a bit (None of us were using ATs BTW) and realize how much there is in Melee that is just plain better than Brawl, and after that my friends just wouldn't play smash any more. Joined this site for brawl, never visit the brawl boards anymore, and only keep the friend code as a mark of shame. Rarely visit the Melee boards. Really what's the point, Melee was my favorite game ever exclusively for it's awesome multiplayer.

There's my rant for the day, will not say another word about Brawl in this thread, this thread isn't about Brawl vs. Melee, I'm a bad poster for continuing to feed this stupid flame war, but I needed too otherwise I'd be spending the rest of the day bitter over a video game that I haven't played since last summer.

Now back to the topic that this thread is suppose to discuss. I might pick up Metroid Prime if they added the motion controls to it, shooters are actually more fun with the motion controls. Then again though, I'd rather try and find it used for the gamecube :/.

(Awesome Post 300)

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
imo it's a waste of time. They should be spending time developing new games and not relying on the WiiShop Channel and WiiWare to tide us over under the big names come along.

This is my opinion... exactly... Why would we want a game on the gamecube that we control with the Wii remote? Make a Sequel... **** it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
>_>

Are you SURE you've played Melee recently?

And the problem with making things easier for new players is that skill becomes a less significant factor and then the veteran players get tired of it and go back to the last installment in the series.

...Oh wait, Nintendo doesn't care about them.
Yes, I've played melee recently. Yes, Brawl's controls are not as clunky as melee's. The only way melee controls better than Brawl is the ATs that were never intended to be used as a mask for some very annoying control problems; for example simply falling through a platform takes more time and effort than in Brawl, and it is generally much harder to space in melee without knowing how to wavedash with precision.

Not only that, but you are right. Nintendo does not really care about you, and the sooner you realize that the sooner you should be able to move on. The company policy has been to focus on newer gamers and making the industry as main-stream as possible, because they themselves said competing against the Xbox 360 and the PS3 has proven infeasible, in other words, high-power and highly complex games for core gamers stopped being a survivable market for the company. I actually advise you buy a different system if you dislike Brawl, because the wii won't be your system of choice for a few years at least.

Incidently, I really want a PS3 after a price drop. I don't think the wii is going to be a good system for me for at least a few years.

Top Bottom