• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Rob Technique!!!!! Gamebreaking!?!?

Fear The Force

Smash Cadet
maXXX; if there is one thing I like about your R.O.B. itz that you use his down tilt more than any other ROB player I've ever seen. King Dedede really shouldn't be a problem for Robot; against them, you're going to have to be a bit more campy; OS hit it right on the money on how to defeat King Dedede; granted, he's a really campy player, whereas you aren't, but take what he said into consideration, it works.

One thing I noticed is that after you KO your opponent, you like to shoot a quick gyro out. iMo, you should just fully charge your gyro, and keep it with you. I really like how you approach your opponents with R.O.B. Try using R.O.B's forward tilts more, they work wonders when you're walking.

Nice stuff maXXX, very impressive R.O.B. Who do you secondary?

chckn

Smash Ace
Yeah. I never played Olimar except the first week I got the game, and for the hell of it I pulled him out against Joshu's D3. It was a lot easier than it should have been to play.... I didn't win, but I also found out he'd been playing that matchup with KishPrime a lot lately XD

Also, you guys are going to have 20-40 new vids soon of my ROB... I stepped my camping up, believe it or not. You'll be proud.
You're camping was actually quite inspiring OS, I lol'd massively at that match on jungle japes against that snake.

mojo25

Smash Rookie
Awesome...I play like that against my bro RJE's snake too. It works.

When you do the d-tilt to make them trip you can follow up by grabbing them and head-butting them until they get out then trip with d-tilt and repeat the process. It works only if they trip so it relies somewhat on luck.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
maXXX; if there is one thing I like about your R.O.B. itz that you use his down tilt more than any other ROB player I've ever seen.
This was something I noticed, too. I like how a lot of times you'll start off with dtilt when I would be using dsmash; dtilt has such low cooldown that it allows you to make your next attack, where I woulda been hit after a shield/spot dodge. Especially when you dtilt, dtilt, the other guy decides just to roll behind you - THEN you dsmash. Nice series of moves.

Sudai

Stuff here
How do you do "camping"? Is it called "camping"?
Well, first you gather all your camping gear. Tent, timber, matches, the usual. Then you hike up into the woods and find a nice opening to set up camp. Remember all your camping safety tips like be wary of Bears.

Really though, camping in Brawl is like camping in real life. Stay in one spot and shoot projectiles at people. When they get near you, smack them away or run away and repeat. Just watch any videos of OverSwarm. He is the Camp King.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Camping's also pretty powered up from older Smash incarnations, given the fact that Brawl makes approaching much more of a pain than it ever was in Melee. Though, as maxxx showed, ROB doesn't need it all the time. Of course, not using ROB's projectile game would be tragic, since it is a pretty powerful aspect of his character.

chckn

Smash Ace
Camping's also pretty powered up from older Smash incarnations, given the fact that Brawl makes approaching much more of a pain than it ever was in Melee. Though, as maxxx showed, ROB doesn't need it all the time. Of course, not using ROB's projectile game would be tragic, since it is a pretty powerful aspect of his character.
Yeah really depending on the matchup and the stage, = camping becomes more or less efficent. Thats why imo its important to be able to adapt and endlessly camp if needed or be very agressive.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Obviously, Maxxx showed that being aggressive against Snake (at least on Final D) can work like a charm. Conversely, since his two match losses were against DDD, obviously it didn't work for him there.

I know I need to do a better job of being aggressive on the ground. I have no problem with chasing/being aggressive with ROB's aerial game, but when both players are on the ground, 9/10 of the time I'll just camp.

'course, 8 out of 10 times that works perfectly fine.... *shrug*

chckn

Smash Ace
Yeah. Obviously, Maxxx showed that being aggressive against Snake (at least on Final D) can work like a charm. Conversely, since his two match losses were against DDD, obviously it didn't work for him there.

I know I need to do a better job of being aggressive on the ground. I have no problem with chasing/being aggressive with ROB's aerial game, but when both players are on the ground, 9/10 of the time I'll just camp.

dont underestimate rob on the ground though. the main thing to remember is that mindgames are your friends. You can incorporate camping but you dont need to rely on it.pivoting fsmashes work like a charm. ftilt usually outranges most attacks. spot dodge to dtilt/dsmash. dash a to fsmash or usmash. the possibilities are endless!

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
lol maxxx ur funny. hey check ur u tube i msg'd u maxxx
Ha ha funny or RayJ funny?

I replied.

maXXX; if there is one thing I like about your R.O.B. itz that you use his down tilt more than any other ROB player I've ever seen. King Dedede really shouldn't be a problem for Robot; against them, you're going to have to be a bit more campy; OS hit it right on the money on how to defeat King Dedede; granted, he's a really campy player, whereas you aren't, but take what he said into consideration, it works.

One thing I noticed is that after you KO your opponent, you like to shoot a quick gyro out. iMo, you should just fully charge your gyro, and keep it with you. I really like how you approach your opponents with R.O.B. Try using R.O.B's forward tilts more, they work wonders when you're walking.

Nice stuff maXXX, very impressive R.O.B. Who do you secondary?
DTilt, imo, is ROB's most useful move. Tripping *****es 1/4 of the time is godly when the attack is that fast.

I lost because I had never played a DDD before, so I was lost. It's like walking in the dark in a house you don't know and bumping into every coffee table in the place. I just didn't play smart enough. I don't think it had anything to do with my level of campiness or lack thereof.

I noticed that I like to do that, too. I just like glide tossing. I'm not very good at it yet, but it's a lot of fun. I had just learned that day from a Reno, NV ROB player named Hitori that you can glide and toss the gyro in any direction, so that was nice.

FTilt is really good, I should use it more often. I don't really walk often. I hate moving slowly. But it's nice from a spaced sex kick.

I actually wanted to be a Snake main when I first saw that he was in Brawl, and I tried him out, but it turns out I sucked with him. I hated ROB at first, but he was the only character I was good with. Right now, I'm working on DDD, Snake, and Marth.

Awesome...I play like that against my bro RJE's snake too. It works.

When you do the d-tilt to make them trip you can follow up by grabbing them and head-butting them until they get out then trip with d-tilt and repeat the process. It works only if they trip so it relies somewhat on luck.
I prefer getting them with a sex kick from a trip; that thing lasts forever.

This was something I noticed, too. I like how a lot of times you'll start off with dtilt when I would be using dsmash; dtilt has such low cooldown that it allows you to make your next attack, where I woulda been hit after a shield/spot dodge. Especially when you dtilt, dtilt, the other guy decides just to roll behind you - THEN you dsmash. Nice series of moves.
Grabs from a trip are really good at the edge, and that's what I usually go for. The DSmash when they roll behind me is more of a conditioning. I do it because I want them stay in front of me so I can grab and throw off the edge. From there, ROB does his thing with quick forward airs, and boosts.

I agree with everything in this post. Forward Airs are his best approach, I think. Other than the glide toss. Can I call them gyroslides?

Yeah really depending on the matchup and the stage, = camping becomes more or less efficent. Thats why imo its important to be able to adapt and endlessly camp if needed or be very agressive.
I asked forward to help me get better and he said something like "play so fast that you overwhelm them". Of course this was in Melee where I played Falco, but it really got to me. He's been my hero ever since.

"Fortune favors the bold" - Alexander the Great

Those are my mantras.

I am aggressive against all characters, not just Snake. I just need to find better ways of overwhelming D3s.

ROB outplays alot of characters on the ground, and loses to the same character in the air.. Dsmash/Fsmash/Ftilt/Jab =0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWI-0N_WYpg

too good?
Ch0zen, you need to believe.

@ video: lolwat.

I think Maxx and Chozen should make a combo vid to that vid... too good?
Would these be two separate videos, or perhaps a collaboration?

too good.

Fear The Force

Smash Cadet
maXXX, you'll be surprised at how effective the forward tilt can be in conjunction with down tilts, character spacing, walking, gyros etc. It really annoys your opponent when you knock them away from you (did I mention awesome range on the atk, with good priority).

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
I've started to fall in love with ftilt. Obviously it's not some crazy damaging/ko move, but its range is enough that spacing with it is a breeze, meaning that it's really reliable.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
If dookdigity puts up the videos of me vs. forward and dsf's D3, you'll see what I mean.
I am at work right now, but when I get home I can do it (I get off work at 12:15 tonight). How far into the tournament and was it singles? You vs Forward? I think I can get those up tonight. If so I will leave the links in here for you.

Nice R.O.B. Makes me want to pick him up :D

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Sweet deal, Mike. The match vs. forward was in winners' finals. The match vs. DSF was in losers' finals.

We need to hang out again, btw.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
I think it's safe to say that ROB is the best character in this game. People just don't know it yet.

But yeah, I had no clue how do fight against D3; all of my kill percentages were off because he's such a fat *******. If dookdigity puts up the videos of me vs. forward and dsf's D3, you'll see what I mean.

There are no D3s anywhere near where I live, so I don't get a lot of practice. I think I'll pick him up just for ****s and giggles, though. That would be fun.
Finally someone who understands my pain on fighting D3's fat *** lol
But yea like OS said you gotta play a campy *** ROB in order to actually win, I dont like to camp though, its not my style really =[
I have only beat one D3 and thats Aero but then theres Teba who's a **** CG ***** lol
We as ROB players should unite lol

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I honestly don't think you can win against DeDeDe by being highly aggressive. DeDeDe's aerials are just too large and fast for R.O.B. to fight it, and R.O.B.'s ground game isn't very spectacular against DeDeDe.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Aggressive ROB only works with a few characters - trying it on a Zelda or a D3 will get you stomped.

My usual pattern with bad matchups is to start the aggressive chain, and when they start to predict it and act out on it, back off, maybe projectile smack them, or at least back away and let them whiff before you start again.

It means you can't Fair chain them but not eating a Zelda Toe or D3 Fair is worth it.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
This is me, alright, but the DDD in this match is forward, not DSF. Thanks for putting these up; maybe I can learn something from my mistakes.

I don't use a tag for brawl, but I always use Military Grade ROB (green).

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think you can win against DeDeDe by being highly aggressive. DeDeDe's aerials are just too large and fast for R.O.B. to fight it, and R.O.B.'s ground game isn't very spectacular against DeDeDe.
I mean you could win just watch my matches against Teba, hes one of the best D3 around (if not the best) he beat Futile too, but in order for ROB to win you have to camp and just strike at the right moment.

Teba vs. Shadow Round 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o3vh3zEez5U

Teba vs Shadow Round 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=72AWpVN3t8Q

Teba vs. Shadow Round 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lyalx_TN4MI

Round one was my best ever against D3
Round 2 I could of had it but for some reason my dumb *** tried going for a Tilt-Lock against the wall right before I got shield grabbed lol
Then Round 3 was just hell for me watch and you will see what happens to me lol

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
dang bro. same crud happens to me when i play against my friends DDD, but hes much more agressive offstage.

dude, those are some cheap kills ddd had on you, especially that gimped %^&*(*&^%$ grab/star ko

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Yeah, except I'm in the midwest and can't wait to travel to the east coast!

Although, I'm gonna say it now:

While I could probably have a good chance at beating everyone else I've seen in the East Coast (excluding ROB dittos because I'm all WTF with them), Mew2King has impressed me again. He would be scary to play.

Just go watch Gimpy's "Playing with the Proper Mindset"!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The day I take advice from Gimpfish is the day I shake my head in shame.

Even if the advice is right ;P

chaotic002

Smash Apprentice
My friend plays a good kirby and i don't know what i should do to defeat it he is really good with copy ability and actually practices using different abilities.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
You did not just say that! Lol. No one on the Bowser boards got the joke when I made the official Gimpy fanclub. It's just like you and your rampant "Mr. Swarm" fanboyism.

Sudai

Stuff here
Sudai is not a "Mr. Sawrm fanboy". I respect the man for bringing ROB camping to the height it's at, but aside from that, I don't dote over the guy like most bowsers dote over Gimpy. I'm fairly sure my case is a pretty standard case amongst ROBs as OS isn't the only really good ROB like Gimpy was the only really good Bowser.

Disclaimer: Not saying I'm a good ROB, but I've definitely seen plenty of outstanding ROBs, not just OS. : P

PS: Whenever I talk about OS, I feel like I'm in a Linux vs other operating systems debate because I keep saying "OS" which is ironic because...ROB's a robot.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Chozen is no one's Fanboy.

Chozen is a good ROB.

OverSwarm is also a good [midwest style] ROB.

Maxx is also a good [sexy style] ROB.

Nacker is also a good [Bairing good time style] ROB.

Hugs is also a good [WC control style] ROB.

JCaesar is also a good [glidetossing style] ROB.

Toasty is also a good [conservative style] ROB.

Top Bottom