• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Roy Social!

camerino1

Smash Lord
Alright, I get it. It's just weird how it goes against the other attacks in that sense. Most people don't know that though, so it is kind of surprising for Roy to kill on a tip.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Here's a comparison to Marth's

(First Swing)
Bone - 76 "70" - "72"
Bone - 71 "20" - "100"
Bone - 4 "16" - "100"
Bone - 76 "70" - "100"* - angle 70 (Roy's - 361)

(Second Swing)
Bone - 76 "72" - "72"
Bone - 71 "30" - "100
Bone - 4 "15" - "100"
Bone - 76 "70" - "100"* - angle 75 (Roy's 361)

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
ok, thanks for the info KingClubber. Just out of curiosity, does the master hand program happen to give you any information on roy's hit-stun frames?

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
I'm talking about when Roy hit's a character, but a quick search has just provided me the answer I needed. There's nobody who has the info or any way to get it, so whatever.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
This is going to sound really dumb, but bear with me....I have a theory about Roy's Tip of the Blade.

I think Roy's Tip of the Blade is a double edge blade type of tool. What i mean is that Roy's tip of the blade was made like this for two reasons.

The 1st being mind games, Roy is a known hard hitter, but when hit with the tip of the blade the knockback becomes weaker lacking most of it's kill power. While bad from the start of the match, this could help confuse the target, which could lead into interesting combo's, and kills.

The 2nd is that Roy's tip of the blade is made as some sort of reset. Take Roy's D-tilt for example, at low percents when using the base of the sword it pops the target up high with a strong hit, but with the tip of the blade it barely lifts off the ground that doesn't lead into anything. But at Mid to High percentage the Base of the sword begins to knock them to high for Roy's most of Roy's starting combo's, but now the tip of the blade lead perfectly into them. Even as high as 110% damage.

I practiced doing the d-tilt to grab with the tip of the blade from 100% down to 30% going down by 5% after each successful grab. The lowest i got was 40%, with Roy's tip of the Blade d-tilt to grab.

This doesn't work with all of Roy's Tipped Attack

Dash Attack, and D-Smash become stronger at the tip of the blade after a certain damage %.

N-air, and D-air Knock back never changes even when hit with the tip of the blade.

PLEASE, Leave your thoughts, and test the theory out. Do the same test i did above to see for yourself.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I was at the OMG the month before, but before that...oh, probably about a year. That phase didn't last too long either, and my dry period before that was a little over another year.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Of a sorts. I've actually been to three other tournaments since those two OMG ones; two in Austin and another Dallas one. At the very least, I'm not stopping again until I have enough footage to finish my combo video.

The tipper with Roy is different because he and Marth would be too similar otherwise. That's the best reason to me why Roy is the way he is. Just needs more hitstun.

Also, a few of Roy's moves have weight based knockback such has his AttackHi4 and SpecialS3Lw. And these do no scale with damage or knockback growth.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
The tipper with Roy is different because he and Marth would be too similar otherwise.
I read this very same thing before somewhere.

That's the best reason to me why Roy is the way he is. Just needs more hitstun.
What you say here isn't very clear, you don't explain anything about Roy's tip of the blade you just say it's different and that's that. And i don't bother wish for something that is set in stone, but i know what you mean.

Also, a few of Roy's moves have weight based knockback such has his AttackHi4 and SpecialS3Lw. And these do no scale with damage or knockback growth.
i know, which is why i didn't note them.

Sorry but you didn't really answer anything, you just said it was different, and didn't leave anything sort of information that could be of use, or tell me im wrong. so i don't know if i should close in on it or walk away before i begin trying to integrate it.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Merry Christmas everybody. I hope everyone is having a good day with lots of cheer, family and food. Lots and lots of fooooooooooood!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Wish me luck at apex, guys... It appears, i'll be one of the only Roys... (if not the only) Roy player attending Apex... I don't recall seeing other Roy's attending.. (that I noticed at least) I could be wrong... anyway... so hype.. I hope I do well.. ^^

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'll see you there v-man. after constant practice with DK I find out I have Dr. pp in my pool. so, roy is my only hope

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
wooooot I <3 you ripple! You got this man.. ^^; I just got my net back today, so I haven't had time to scan many things.... I believe in you ^^

camerino1

Smash Lord
I was thinking about Marth and Roy and comparing them, and thinking about what KingClubber had said about Roy and the tip and stuff. What if Roy was meant to be the combo guy, and Marth the faster killer, because Marth has more power at the tip? When they were in making though, because they had to rush Roy a little, being the last character added, they didn't check his hitstun and couldn't fix it up. I mean, it's all in the past and doesn't mean a whole lot, but what if Roy was supposed to have amazing combo attacks that stringed on for a long time? It'd be pretty neat.

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
Then let's hope the Project M team can find a coder, make a character clone engine/script, and balance Roy there.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
What if Roy was meant to be the combo guy, and Marth the faster killer, because Marth has more power at the tip?
I don't believe that's to be the case. Roy is meant for combo's, but very short 2-3 step combo's. My theory about Roy's tip of the blade is that it acts like a reset, allowing you to do low % damage combo's when your enemy is a mid to high % damage when it's much hard to do these combo's.

The problem i find is that it's done on unnecessary attacks that just makes Roy's spacing problematic.

One of the combo's i was testing was

F-air, F-air(Tipped), F-smash

At high enough damage if you hit with the second f-air (un-tipped) they will get hit to far to finish with f-smash.

camerino1

Smash Lord
But then why give Marth more power, and not make the tip pull inward slightly on Roy's blade? That's the part that seems odd. I just think they gave Roy the poor end of things by having to rush him a little because he was the last programmed character.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Green Roy is pretty good, only one I play as when I'm playing seriously. But now... what's Roy's worst colour? I'm tempted to say gold or blue, personally.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Okay!!!
S-tier: Green
A-tier: Red, Gold
B-tier: Regular
C-tier: Blue

That's the feel I'm getting from you guys, not my personal list :p (I'd switch around Reg. and Gold)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
SS tier: Green Roy
S tier: Meatknight, Pyro's Amazing Fox™
A tier: Fox, falco, jiggs, shiek
B tier: Marth, peach, falcon
C tier: Red roy, IC's
D tier: Blue roy, Doc, Ganon, Samus
E tier: Pika, mario, luigi, DK
F tier: Link, young link
G tier: Zelda, original roy, mewtwo, yoshi, g&w
h tier: Ness, bowser, kirby, pichu, gold roy

Ok now let me explain my decisions here. Since I am the best Roy in the world, I know all of his hidden techs, like the wavesmash and the DEDdash. This is clearly what the normal tier list should look like, I do not understand why no one has adopted this yet, but I digress. This is what the tier list will be. Once I win and major national with green Roy I will show everyone how truly broken he really is.

So here is my explanation for the tiers:
Green Roy: He is clearly worthy of top tier. Counterpicking dreamland allows us to blend into the stage and have extra movement options. Players inexperienced playing against green roy will be confused by our movement and will allow us many free DEDdashes. I also like counterpicking green greens, because it gives a bonus to all green characters. How does no one do this? Counterpicking green characters to green greens is nearly a guaranteed win.

Red roy: Unfortunately, picking a nongreen color for roy drops him in tiers significantly. He no longer has the bonus of blending in with the stage. What he does have though is his ability to blend in with the fire. The bright red allows him to conceal himself inside his own attacks and confuse opponents. Fortunately, he is still better than the Ice climbers who we all know can be easily separated by our unpunishable fsmash.

Blue roy: Blue roy loses the bonus of blending in with anything. Fortunately, his speed and cat-like agility make him able to dominate ganon by simply running circles around the punch and punishing with the firecounter (his least laggy response to the punch). This is also the firecounter tier, where everyone is beaten by our firecounter. What the firecounter can do is beat doc's pills and hit him (nearly every time too!). We can also firecounter samus aran's charge blast, enabling us to then finish her off with our DED which is unbeatable.

Original roy: Original roy is where he is on the current tier list. I have decided that original roy loses to many of the other characters in the game. His mindgames are bad and his "fighter's presence" is lacking. Fortunately he still has some of the bonuses gotten by blue roy with his firecounter. Unfortunately, due to his poor movement and mindgames, he will never land it.

Gold Roy: Gold Roy, ah, what to do with him. Seems that I cannot play this character. But I believe that I have deduced why. The character's bright colors stand out far too easily for me to use my secret tech mindgames. I cannot for the life of me play this character. His movement is so limited that I have never once landed a wavesmash. I can barely even L cancel with this one. I am confident that this character is bottom tier for this reason and cannot be changed ever because of limiting movement and mindgames.

Again I encourage discussion of my tier list, but it will not change. This tier list is final and I am going to take to the Melee backroom soon. I'm sure they will change the current one.

My foam sword is the sword that will pierce the heavens.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Having a large amount of experience fighting Green Roy, and being that I am the third best player on the east coast, I can safely vouch that this tier list is accurate, except for one minor detail. As the Marth boards have pointed out, Marth is a terrible character and therefore is not even deserving of bottom tier. He literally has 0 options and sometimes an electric shock actually runs through the controller and kills the player if they pick Marth.

Why he is above Falcon at all confuses me.

Top Bottom