• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sakurai Interview: Smash Bros DS and 4 news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I agree with you--I jsut don't want to see a glitch becoming the center of gameplay again. I remember people would call others noobs for not learning WAvedashing or for striking it down. People just shouldn't be so dependant on a glitch. That's all. I'm all for advanced techniques--just don't make it the only thing good about smash.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
First off, spending more time on the adventure mode would be horrible. A lot of time went into SSE, obviously, considering how friggin' long it is. And yet, we're still stuck with clones, even though Sakurai wanted an end to clones. Online sucks too. Smash Bros is a multiplayer game, not a single player game. Devs should focus on everything rooster, online, modes, etc, then, when they are done with that then they can do something with adventure mode.

Also, you two are ignorant of everything pro smash, especially you Rogue Wireframe. Pro Melee play did not revolve completely around one "glitch". It didn't become a game of pure, technical ability. There were a lot of other skills involved.

And why not have "glitches"? Pros like to play with people of their level, and dislike playing with items and on unbalanced stages. Casuals like the opposite (except maybe the opponents of similar skill part). I can see that it didn't effect you guys at all, or you would know more about this, so stop complaining about "glitches" and how they are no fun.

The only demographic that benefit from the removal of glitches are casual players who play against pros. Casuals who play against casual are unaffected, and pros are hurt by it. And pros generally play against pros, so the pro vs. pro demographic is very likely to be larger than the casual part of the casual vs pro demographic. In other words, the removal of "glitches" hurt more people than it helped.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
Going back to the TOPIC here.

Personally, I'm just delighted that there'll be a portable Smash. Smash on the car, smash sprawled on a bunch of pillows, smash in your girl -- wait.

Really, though, am I just petty or is anyone else happy because it's on the DS?

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
First off, spending more time on the adventure mode would be horrible. A lot of time went into SSE, obviously, considering how friggin' long it is. And yet, we're still stuck with clones, even though Sakurai wanted an end to clones. Online sucks too. Smash Bros is a multiplayer game, not a single player game. Devs should focus on everything rooster, online, modes, etc, then, when they are done with that then they can do something with adventure mode.

Also, you two are ignorant of everything pro smash, especially you Rogue Wireframe. Pro Melee play did not revolve completely around one "glitch". It didn't become a game of pure, technical ability. There were a lot of other skills involved.

And why not have "glitches"? Pros like to play with people of their level, and dislike playing with items and on unbalanced stages. Casuals like the opposite. I can see that it didn't effect you guys at all, or you would know more about this, so stop complaining about "glitches" and how hey are no fun.

The only demographic that benefit from the removal of glitches are casual players who play against pros. Casuals who play against casual are unaffected, and pros are hurt by it. And pros generally play against pros, so the pro vs. pro demographic is very likely to be larger than the casual part of the casual vs pro demographic. In other words, the removal of "glitches" hurt more people than it helped.
Listen. I'm COMPLETELY FINE with techncal play. Involving strategies and what not. and why not have glitches? Because glitches are not intended to be in the game. I didn't say they are no fun. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't be reliant on them so much in matches.
And I know the removal hurt more than it helped. that's my point. You shouldn't be reliant on a glitch. Technical play is fine.
If the gitch is there, as long as its fair use it. But don't expect it to come back, snce it wasn't intended to be there in the first place. don't rely to much on a glitch.

Also, if the adventure mode is worked on,and actually uses concepts from te characters games, it could be great. And teh sse wasn't really that long...

And yes, I'm DELIGHTED that a smash game is possible for the handheld :)
How'd he graphics be, you think?

edit: Im sure it waqsn't completely about wavedashing, but some of the people on these forums made it seem like it...

hectichobo

Smash Ace
A Smash DS would probably have just, say... 25-30 characters and about 25-30 stages.
which is why I would hesitate to buy it.

If the next Smash has 50 characters, that's be good, but... I think Sakurai wants a new innovation to add so its not just the same
Try about 12 characters and 10 stages.... DS's are about equivelent to a N64

Masque

Keeper of the Keys

And why not have "glitches"? Pros like to play with people of their level, and dislike playing with items and on unbalanced stages. Casuals like the opposite (except maybe the opponents of similar skill part). I can see that it didn't effect you guys at all, or you would know more about this, so stop complaining about "glitches" and how they are no fun.

...Really? :dizzy:

I'm not saying that these techniques are bad--I Wavedashed in Melee, too, y'know. My problem comes with those people who throw a fit because the developers didn't throw in secret uber techniques for the pros as a wink and a nudge to their extreme Smash prowess. If we find stuff like that this time around, go for it. But I think it's silly to be begging for stuff like that.

Going back to the TOPIC here.

Personally, I'm just delighted that there'll be a portable Smash. Smash on the car, smash sprawled on a bunch of pillows, smash in your girl -- wait.

Really, though, am I just petty or is anyone else happy because it's on the DS?
No, you aren't petty: I wholeheartedly agree. I'm interested to see how it would work out, though, especially given the inherent loss of freedom that comes with the switch from analog stick to D-pad. Still, portable Smash sounds delicious. :)

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion

Stop sprouting this bullcrap. Show me proof that Sakurai EVER stated "This time there will be no clones in the game". You can't, can you?

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
@ Aeris

AT's were in the demo. They spent valuable resources such as time and money on removing them. After seven years of competitive Melee, he knew he would piss of pros by removing them. He could just have kept them, and people would be happy.

@ Wireframe

Overly reliant? Smart players incorporate glitches into their playstyle. If you relied solely on winning by the use of l-cancelling, WDing, and other AT's in Melee, you would end up getting owned by people who took advantage of those, as well as regular/basic stuff.

And it's obvious that SSE took a long time. Tons of stages, many cut scenes, enemies, bosses, hidden stuff like those golen boxes... Imagine what else they could have done with the development time. I'm not against an adventure mode. It should just take a backseat, that's all.

@ Yukiwarashi

I didn't say that Sakurai said that exact quote. In fact, I don't need even need facts or quotes to prove this. Sakurai and the dev teams actions speaks for them self. If Sakurai didn't want to differentiate characters, why would he give Falco the reflector throw and Mario the FLUDD?

Obviously he wanted to do more, but that time went into SSE, stickers, trophys, chronicle (not much I guess), and masterpieces (again, I guess not too much).

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I didn't say that Sakurai said that exact quote. In fact, I don't need even need facts or quotes to prove this. Sakurai and the dev teams actions speaks for them self. If Sakurai didn't want to differentiate characters, why would he give Falco the reflector throw and Mario the FLUDD?
So where are you pulling the fact that he wanted to do more with them from?

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
I meant facts, as in physical stuff that indicates it. Well, maybe I need some facts too. Take note that I'm not saying that my pooint about Sakurai's action is without substance.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
@ Aeris

AT's were in the demo. They spent valuable resources such as time and money on removing them. After seven years of competitive Melee, he knew he would piss of pros by removing them. He could just have kept them, and people would be happy.
Somehow I can't recall that. In fact, I distinctly remember reports from E 4 All saying that ATs were not present in the demo. Perhaps I'm making a glaring mental omission, but I seem to recall people immediately noting the new airdodge physics and the subsequent exclusion of the coveted WD.

He probably knew what he was doing, but he made it abundantly clear that he was not interested in pandering to the competitive crowd--hence the lack of online rankings; hence the goofy online system in and of itself; hence the "hypercasual" settings for With Anyone, etc.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
@ Aeris

@ Wireframe

Overly reliant? Smart players incorporate glitches into their playstyle. If you relied solely on winning by the use of l-cancelling, WDing, and other AT's in Melee, you would end up getting owned by people who took advantage of those, as well as regular/basic stuff.

).
Can we just stop arguing about this? I'd rather not get started with a bunch of senseless arguing that the thread isn't even really about..
But u just said basically what I was trying to say. Don't just worry about wavedashing. We're on the same page. It's all good. I guess my words got mixed up though. :/

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
@ Aeris

@ Wireframe

).
Can we just stop arguing about this? I'd rather not get started with a bunch of senseless arguing that the thread isn't even really about..
But u just said basically what I was trying to say. Don't just worry about wavedashing. We're on the same page. It's all good. I guess my words got mixed up though. :/

And think of the ds game controlling like a kirby game. Kirby games work out well, and use button combinations. it may feel a bit different, but we'll get over it :)

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Originally Posted by AmigoOne:
Ya, seriously, enough trophies and stickers bull****.
Umm, that's like the point of Smash Bros. Without it, it would be another rehash.
So you're saying that trophies and stickers make the difference between the Smash bro games and not the ACTUAL GAME instead? I know you're not sayng that but it sounds like that's what you're saying.

I'm fine with trophies for the actual characters in the game or the trophies of items, etc but nothing more than that.

What Nintendo had for stickers + trophies in SSBB was nearly characters of the whole Nintendo Franchise.

My suggest for them:
Spend less time making trophies and stickers. and more time working on the actual game.

Use the people they use to make the trophies to help develop the actual game.

(sorry not very educated about all the pro stuf from melee.. except how wavedashing was a glitch and that everyone said in order to be good you needed to use it :/P )
I agree with you--I jsut don't want to see a glitch becoming the center of gameplay again. I remember people would call others noobs for not learning WAvedashing or for striking it down. People just shouldn't be so dependant on a glitch. That's all. I'm all for advanced techniques--just don't make it the only thing good about smash.
Wavedashing wasn't technically a glitch, here's the "technical name for it"

Short jump(intended), airdodge(intended) into the ground, slide from airdodge(also intended).

There's wavedashing. A glitch is like a "bug" or a programming error. Wavedashing is more like an "over abusive feature" rather than a programming error.

Now anyway, I don't care for adding WDing in SSB4, just saying that it's not "technically" a glitch.

Though, of course, as others said, I wouldn't mind more ATs in SSB4.

To keep things from going too off topic, I'm going to quote my earlier suggestions for SSB4

My suggestions for the new SSB4(most of them are just simple suggestions):

1. More work on the actual game instead of too many trophies/stickers.

2. If possible, 6 player mode. No need to adjust any stages or anything, most stages could fit 6 players(it'd be crowded, but it'd fit).

No need to try to rebalance anything either because of 6 players. Add 6 players but keep it simple and don't change anything because of 2 extra players.

3. Make names "colored" in accordance to the player slot. First player should have a "Red" name, second player "Blue", etc.

This only really matters for 4 player FFA mode and if you're sitting far away from the TV and playing with a group people. Sometimes, I forget where the heck my character is, especially hard if someone else is also playing a character that looks like yours.

Simple change.

4. More control customization. Allow you to map "Select" button to "Taunts", so you can free up some space on the D-pad for other controls.

Holding select while pressing the D-pad should activate the taunt instead of just pressing the D-pad.

5. Add all bosses or optional characters, playable, in "Special Brawl"(or whatever SSB4 will be called).

Being able to play as or against master hand or crazy hand at anytime would be fun.

6. Allow you to adjust the appearance rate of assist trophies and pokemons in "items". Like if I wanted to play with only Lyn as an assist trophy, make it possible.

7. Allow you to enable/disable exploding crates/containers.

8. For special brawl/mode - Allow you to set specials only on one player.
For example, if I wanted one person to be giant, another person be metal, and another person have flaming curry, it should be an option for this in the new SSB game
Also, my suggestion for Adventure Mode(I KNOW SAKURAI WON'T EXCLUDE ADVENTURE MODE FROM SSB4, so here's a suggestion since he will not exclude it):

1. More boss fights. EPIC boss fights. That's EPIC.
Maybe with computer allies too and strategy involved in beating the boss battles.

2. Less platforming and regular enemy fights. These just get repetitive fast. Replace most of these for boss battles(but they must be fun boss fights).

3. NO MAKING YOU PLAY THE WHOLE GAME OVER AGAIN. The last stage in SSE, made you play the whole game over again(basically), don't do that again for SSB4.

Also, if they take more third parties into their games, I'd suggest a stage based off of this(click), where you characters fight inside a game of someone playing Trauma Center.

Characters can stand on the lacerations and the textbox, the parasites can be damaged and damage you, and the green stuff heals you, the lasers damage you, and the sutures also restore some damage.

So it's like Pictochat stage except with surgery.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
My only complaint about the trophies is the variety. Way to shun the Mother, FE, and Metroid franchises. Y'know, not to mention some of the others with less-than-accurate representations. Zelda was one of the most lopsided of the series, trophy-wise. Tons of TP and WW representation does not a balanced display make.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Spend less time making trophies and stickers. and more time working on the actual game.

Use the people they use to make the trophies to help develop the actual game.
I guess it's just me, but I think Sakurai had enough people working on the game. I mean, I think the people assigned to do trophies/stickers were done so for a reason, you know?

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Boss battles should include more characters from actual games, be muuuch more challenging, and involve actual strategy, not just the same tactics you use to fight a regular opponent. :l

tirkaro

Smash Champion
My only complaint about the trophies is the variety. Way to shun the Mother, FE, and Metroid franchises. Y'know, not to mention some of the others with less-than-accurate representations. Zelda was one of the most lopsided of the series, trophy-wise. Tons of TP and WW representation does not a balanced display make.
Actually, the reason behind that was that the trophy team was too lazy to make their own models, so they pretty much ONLY recycled models from previous games. Only 3d models. So, if a character was NEVER made in 3d, they aren't getting a trophy. Hence the lack of Mother, FE, and the like. And, of course, since the only near-current gen 3d Zelda games were WW and TP, only they got trophies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Actually, the reason behind that was that the trophy team was too lazy to make their own models, so they pretty much ONLY recycled models from previous games. Only 3d models. So, if a character was NEVER made in 3d, they aren't getting a trophy. Hence the lack of Mother, FE, and the like. And, of course, since the only near-current gen 3d Zelda games were WW and TP, only they got trophies.
That's not nessecarily true because Melee had a lot of trophies representing 2D games.

@ whoever asked:

Sakurai said that about 600 people played a role in making Brawl with about 30 people being full time.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
keys into making smb4 better

1, TAKE OUT TRIPPING
2 add 50 plus characters to appeal towards more people. I'm pretty sure he'll probably tone it down with the third party characters since sakurai stated that it was extremely difficult just adding sonic and snake into brawl (nintendo workers and die hard fans complaining about how adding characters that aren't pro nintendo is selling themselves out, approvals from companies, licenses and copyright laws and all that paper work). Nintendo has a butt load of characters from their own walls, they don't need to extend out any more than that.
3. More stages, 50 percent competitive stages 50 goofy stages
4. Integrate "smash ball special" in a better way. Design them more balanced. It seems as if sakurai and co. started off with mario's fs which is decent and requires a light set up to kill with it, while other fs is just pure **** like the space fighters or snake..
I say place in a special meter for that and require some way of filling the meter like most fighter games..
5. Bring back character specific break the targets levels and add a few co op ones as well.
6. Bring back "board the platforms"
7. Extend replay time limit
8. BALANCE THE FREAKING CHARACTERS, no more cheap snakes, meta's, etc. They did a great job toning shiek and fox down a bit, but they just went over board with certain characters like meta (sakurai's playing favorites here)
9. create a new gameplay mechanic to stop infinte grabs and attacks, they can create something like soul caliburs counter or something...
10. Speed up the games physics just a bit and make them less floaty just a tad...
11. Lastly, before they actually think that the game is completed, have a whole bunch of top tourney smash players play the hell out of the game to catch all the problems that may be persistent (ie DDD infinite grab, metaknight being metaknight, jab/laser lock glitches, etc)
I have more, a lot more, but I think I made myself look too much of a spoiled gamer brat....
Smash bros ds FTW...

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
hahahhahaha QFT
Unless it's made so that you can hook in an analog stick or somehow make a Gamecube controller compatible wiht the DS, its gonna be a flop. Unless he fixes all the mistakes he made in Brawl by making it more like Melee, its gonna suck.
He ignored the competitive community then, he'll ignore it now. With Smash on DS, it probabbly wouldn't hold a candle to the console versions.

It wouldn't be able to have that many characters, or good visuals. But what it would be is portable, and possibly wifi compatible.

I would ask for nothing more.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Along with extending the replay time limit--make it actully record the videos instead of just replaying them literally. Come on, what's the point of replaying a vid. if you can't really share it with any one.??? And yea, I know it saves space by doing that but hey, if people want teh vids, they've prob. got SD cards to put em on a comp...

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Try about 12 characters and 10 stages.... DS's are about equivelent to a N64
Dunno, maybe you could be right.

But let's think about a remake of a famous N64 game in the DS: Super Mario 64.

Compared to the N64 game, the DS got better graphics, and more characters (haven't played, but I throw my bet: their moves and abilities were different, so that adds extra space to the capacity).

If Smash Bros. appears in the NDS, with 12 characters and 9 stages (random does not count), the only imrpoving thing would be the graphics.

However, if you want a N64-graphic'ed Smash for DS, then more characters COULD be added, but how many? Now you got me there :/

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't understand why people say that SM64DS has better graphics than the original. I played through both, and SM64DS's graphics are all "glitchy" looking (can't think of another term) while SM64 on the N64 had smooth graphics.

SM64DS added a few extra things (like the hedges in the front of the castle) but it looks to me like the graphics are kind of dumbed down from the original version on the N64,

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I don't understand why people say that SM64DS has better graphics than the original. I played through both, and SM64DS's graphics are all "glitchy" looking (can't think of another term) while SM64 on the N64 had smooth graphics.

SM64DS added a few extra things (like the hedges in the front of the castle) but it looks to me like the graphics are kind of dumbed down from the original version on the N64,
It's just my oppinion. I based myself from a demo-quality (not grabbed in camera) video.

The colors look better, and Mario's face is not so deformed now, I remember Mario's nose in SM64 being a brick colored in his skin color!

Well, dunno, but I bet that SSBDS, if it will be a N64 remake, just will have improvement in graphics and stages.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
wait would it be in sprites or graphics? if it was in sprites that would be really cool and unusual change.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
wait would it be in sprites or graphics? if it was in sprites that would be really cool and unusual change.
But Smash64 was a polygon test game, and it would be a shame to do a 180 on that and turn to sprites, keep the graphics simple, and the FPS up is the key I reckon.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
keys into making smb4 better

1, TAKE OUT TRIPPING
2 add 50 plus characters to appeal towards more people. I'm pretty sure he'll probably tone it down with the third party characters since sakurai stated that it was extremely difficult just adding sonic and snake into brawl (nintendo workers and die hard fans complaining about how adding characters that aren't pro nintendo is selling themselves out, approvals from companies, licenses and copyright laws and all that paper work). Nintendo has a butt load of characters from their own walls, they don't need to extend out any more than that.
3. More stages, 50 percent competitive stages 50 goofy stages
4. Integrate "smash ball special" in a better way. Design them more balanced. It seems as if sakurai and co. started off with mario's fs which is decent and requires a light set up to kill with it, while other fs is just pure **** like the space fighters or snake..
I say place in a special meter for that and require some way of filling the meter like most fighter games..
5. Bring back character specific break the targets levels and add a few co op ones as well.
6. Bring back "board the platforms"
7. Extend replay time limit
8. BALANCE THE FREAKING CHARACTERS, no more cheap snakes, meta's, etc. They did a great job toning shiek and fox down a bit, but they just went over board with certain characters like meta (sakurai's playing favorites here)
9. create a new gameplay mechanic to stop infinte grabs and attacks, they can create something like soul caliburs counter or something...
10. Speed up the games physics just a bit and make them less floaty just a tad...
11. Lastly, before they actually think that the game is completed, have a whole bunch of top tourney smash players play the hell out of the game to catch all the problems that may be persistent (ie DDD infinite grab, metaknight being metaknight, jab/laser lock glitches, etc)
I have more, a lot more, but I think I made myself look too much of a spoiled gamer brat....
Smash bros ds FTW...
I'm sorry, but some of those are poor ideas, especially taking into account how much space you have on a DS cartridge thingo.

Sakurai had the ability to do all those things in brawl, but he withdrew from doing so, why because its not altogether a great idea. 50 plus characters in itself would take up excess space. smash balls were balanced aswell as they could be, infact, they were a way OF balacning characters, however players choose to turn them off, and unbalance the game themself.
good points in there with the two "bonus stages" as they were called, but i have absolutly no doubt there will be NO replays on a DS version.
and the game isnt all about tourney people as much as they want to think so, there is a whoole other world of players who would need to test it out, with items, and stages which vary a bit, but that's essentially what eforall was about.

but im sure if sakurai does it, much will be the same, perhaps tripping is here to stay, but he'll do the best job he can.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Im sorry but has this been proven real yet? I have not seen this info on ANY other Nintendo fan-site like GoNintendo which grabs at anything remotely related to nintendo. . .

Sounds fake if there is no prove at the moment.

This is the last thing I remember being officially stated by him. . .
http://gonintendo.com/?p=48235

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
StarL33T I think cHooKay's ideas are meant for SSB4 not SSBDS.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
StarL33T I think cHooKay's ideas are meant for SSB4 not SSBDS.
I'm sorry, I was under the impression that this was about SSBDS mostly in any case. its hard to tell when you write SMB4 at the start, and at the end write "smash bros. DS FTW", may be a bit misleading, but i got the impression the ideas were for SSBDS. but my points are still valid for DS, not so much SSB4.

kr3wman

Smash Master
It would be cool if they made :

SMB : Melee : Turbo
Super SMB : Melee : Turbo
SMB : Melee : World Warriors
SMB : Melee : New challengers
SMB : Melee : Turbo HD Remix.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm sorry, I was under the impression that this was about SSBDS mostly in any case. its hard to tell when you write SMB4 at the start, and at the end write "smash bros. DS FTW", may be a bit misleading, but i got the impression the ideas were for SSBDS. but my points are still valid for DS, not so much SSB4.
I didn't notice that...

I just couldn't imagine somebody really thinking 50 characters could be on a DS version. XD

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool if they made :

SMB : Melee : Turbo
Super SMB : Melee : Turbo
SMB : Melee : World Warriors
SMB : Melee : New challengers
SMB : Melee : Turbo HD Remix.

How about no........................

i suggest that sakurai would stop thinking wat hes thinking take a deep breath and then finally realizes the best idea pick 10 people that are huge fans of super smash bros(that are kinda pro) from each big countries like the US japan europe(wow i didnt mention my home country but oh wells not big enough) each person gets to choose 2 things they want in brawl they add all those ideas together then they vote on then each votes and idea they want(basically there should be 30 things that can go into brawl.(if not they can limit i guess.

Things i dont want in brawl:broken moves:ROB spining down smash things like that just 1 of my ideas i dont know wat to pick as my second idea still

Crazy Chaos

Smash Cadet
awesome I hope that they get rid of the masterpieces,chronicles, and the stickers. cus that leaves them open for other shtuff. and they might as well get rid of the stage builder or improve it A LOT BETTER. XD they're prolly gonna remove Lucario DX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom