• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New sakurai interview

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hmm. Seems pretty interesting. I agree with Sakurai, though. I think just having introductory videos would be fine. But it says in the article that the 3DS version will have a separate mode? What does that mean for the Wii U Version? I guess he's really taking the "single-player experience on the 3DS" thing to heart, then.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
"Characters can also be customized to an extent, and will alter character performance."

This is what interests me. I don't know what this means, though. In a previous interview, he said you can alter the direction of characters moves. (Unless the translation was bad, and this article could even be badly translated, but I don't know) :c MUST KNOW!

Ulevo

Smash Master
This is actually good news in disguise. While his reasonings might not be, the fact that he's not spending time on these extras means there is more time for game development for the actual gameplay itself. I always felt Brawl put in a lot of effort to give a good first impression and subsequently lost on its in game quality, so I think its a good thing.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
"Instead, video sequences will be spread around and include introductory videos for the Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer lady. " This made me laugh harder than I should have.

"While the game won’t include a story mode either, the 3DS version will include a feature acting as a "separate mode from the standard versus play,” and both versions of the game will include different stages." I think this means 3DS will be getting a different(?) adventure mode from the Wii U. Or 3DS gets an entirly new game mode we have never seen before.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Eh nothing new here. :/

I just wonder what they are going to do for the adventure mode thing for Smash4. Please please make it a metroidvania type thing with exploring one giant map.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering how we will get the cutscenes the only thing I can think of is after we unlock the character or right before we fight them to unlock them

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
I have to be honest here. Not having cut-scenes or a story mode for that reason is absolutely ridiculous. Guess we should stop making games with stories and cut-scenes altogether. While we are at it let's stop making movies and TV shows too.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I have to be honest here. Not having cut-scenes or a story mode for that reason is absolutely ridiculous. Guess we should stop making games with stories and cut-scenes altogether. While we are at it let's stop making movies and TV shows too.
Actually for a game like Smash Bros it makes sense to an extent. The game was never story based and he wanted cut-scenes to be little rawards when people play through SSE. And in game that isn't even story based it makes sense to a degree. But also like Ulevo said without something like SSE with those kinds of cut-scenes they will have more time to work more the game itself.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Introductory cutscenes, eh? I'm interested.

The removal of the story mode doesn't bother at all.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Actually for a game like Smash Bros it makes sense to an extent. The game was never story based and he wanted cut-scenes to be little rawards when people play through SSE. And in game that isn't even story based it makes sense to a degree. But also like Ulevo said without something like SSE with those kinds of cut-scenes they will have more time to work more the game itself.
You do realize that the same people who do thing like Cut-scenes and story development don't do the same things as people who do stage and character development, balancing etc... It doesn't make any more sense for smash to not include story any less then it does any other game. It not being about story is relative. It's only as story oriented as he makes it and SSE had a massive room for improvement.

The way it's being described is that the 3DS version is the only version getting substantial single-player content. That a big disappoint for me if that the case because although I don't be-grieve the existence of the 3DS version I just don't care about it.

And let's not kid our selves about having more resources here. That's just not going to be the case as they are developing 2 whole games concurrently with with seemingly different content.

anartya

Smash Rookie
I also agree. I just hope that recruiting newcomers would be challenging this time around. In Brawl, subspace emissary completely ruined 95% of the experience of having to see "new challenger approaching" with the 3 exceptions of wolf, toon link, and jigglypuff. Newcomers should not just join you, you have to fight them after a lot of hardwork so it feels like an accomplishment. Melee had it right, but getting mewtwo took too many battles imo, so it was less challenging and more grinding. I am really hoping they stick to melee roots.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You do realize that the same people who do thing like Cut-scenes and story development don't do the same things as people who do stage and character development, balancing etc... It doesn't make any more sense for smash to not include story any less then it does any other game. It not being about story is relative. It's only as story oriented as he makes it and SSE had a massive room for improvement.

The way it's being described is that the 3DS version is the only version getting substantial single-player content. That a big disappoint for me if that the case because although I don't be-grieve the existence of the 3DS version I just don't care about it.

And let's not kid our selves about having more resources here. That's just not going to be the case as they are developing 2 whole games concurrently with with seemingly different content.
Well, in Sakurai's defense, he did say the 3DS was going to be more single-player oriented. I'm sure we'll have a classic mode in both, and maybe a Melee-esque Adventure Mode, but I think there will be something new for the 3DS version.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

You de realize Sakurai likes to try and work on everything he wants put into the game right? That means without something like SSE Sakurai can work more on other more important aspects of the game.

Your acting like SmashU isn't going to be getting any single play stuff. It will still most likely have event matches, classic mode, some kind of an adventure mode, and the like still but it is not going to be focused around it. SmashU is meant more for multiplayer then single player, but that doesn't mean it won't have single player content. While the 3DS version is basically getting focused on the single player aspect over the multiplayer aspect with the main thing the 3DS having some kind of customazation to transfer to SmashU.

Let's not forget that both games will be having the exact same roster which considerably cuts down on resources itself and none of the SSE shiz is coming back which is what took allot of time for Brawl.

If you care about single player so much you should care about the 3DS version then as that is the version that is being focused around single player, but thats not to say SmashU won't have single player stuff.

World

Smash Cadet
“Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet,” Sakurai said.

“You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I’ve decided against having them.”

So he's removing cutscenes because players have the freedom of seeing them on the internet without playing the game?

Sakurai is really starting to worry me about Smash 4's development with such bizarre reasoning...

Ulevo

Smash Master
I don't understand what he means with customization will this have any effect on competitive play?

Obviously not. Characters will use their default attributes in competitive play. It's likely a game mode to play around and have some fun with, much like custom stages were.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
happy to hear about Melee style Adventure mode!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So he's removing cutscenes because players have the freedom of seeing them on the internet without playing the game?

Sakurai is really starting to worry me about Smash 4's development with such bizarre reasoning...
He likely just means story mode type cutscenes. Unfortunately, this doesn't bode well for Classic Mode FMVs.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
At least we know they won't be spending copious amounts of dev time on something they're bad at. Now they'll have more time to work on the online play (hopefully).

Dash000

Smash Rookie
The 3ds had better still have online, because honestly Single-Player smash doesn't last too long without multiplayer. I just hope they don't be like "local MP only, because people so often get together with 3ds's" because in the US that almost never happens :/

Ulevo

Smash Master
At least we know they won't be spending copious amounts of dev time on something they're bad at. Now they'll have more time to work on the online play (hopefully).

To be fair, some of those cutscenes were really well done. Just that maybe some of them weren't scripted well.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I think his point was more that the novelty of the cutscenes wore off shortly after seeing them for the first time and that there's not much of a point in investing a lot of time in something that generally gets a "huh, neat" reaction. Also, let's be honest, the 115 individual cutscenes in Brawl was beyond overkill.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Whoo! Won't miss subspace.

Hoping this still means we'll get an adventure mode ala Melee.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I kind of do see the point, having rewatched the Cutscenes on youtube, the cutscenes are more fun to watch then to really experience.

I didn't particularly have a problem with SSE as a whole but it did seemed to be implimented kind of awkardly in a way where after the first time, there's very few reasons to do it again. I could probably talk about that for ages on why, but I won't in this case.

It is probably better to focus on the esstienals of the game in the long run then trying to put too much effort into a mode that would take a quite a lot of resources and time to impliment.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
We will still be getting CGI movies, just nothing story based, all unlocked from the get go so that makes me happy.

What's interesting is the ever vague hints about customization. Do you know how happy I will be if we can attach different animations to the attacks but they'd still function exactly the same? I'm still expecting explosions of silliness though. Sonic attacks someone and rings go flying out of the enemy, stuff like that.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'm really interested to see what the next big newcomer might be. I know we likely won't have that many, but I would like at least one pleasant surprise. Megaman wasn't a big shocker; he's been a top fan favourite second only to Sonic for the past bajillion years now. And while Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are cool in their own way, they don't represent an iconic, big name title we all relate to in the way we would Mario, Link, Samus, etc.

Hearing Issac from Golden Sun or someone like Lloyd from Symphonia would be a pretty big deal. Even someone from an already represented series, like King K. Rool would be a nice treat.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Don't really mind if a Subspace type story mode is missing cause I wasn't really a fan of it and liked Melee's adventure mode better.

But no cutscenes at all in the game would be a huge disappointment. Seriously Nintendo, you've got a new next gen console, act like it. People want to see badass clips of Nintendo characters fighting at least somewhere in the game.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Old news. He never says there won't be story mode, it's just a random guess made by the article's author. The first comment even explains it!

"Bad reporting from this site like usual. He never said no story, he said no subspace emissary. He said it will include a story"

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
hopefully this means we could get this game earlier then everyone is saying with them not having to focus on story mode

Top Bottom