• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new shields

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
ok, so this idea just came into my head. You know how yoshi's shield is him hiding inside his egg instead of having a bubble around him. Well why not have something like that for all characters. The random bubble looks so unnatural, why not have it so bowser hides behind his shell, and game and watch takes a random prop from one of his games. It would just make smash 4 a little cooler.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah these little nice additions are cool. This one seems plausible but for some characters I can't really come up with anything. What if some shields act differently from the others?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
some characters simply don't work. sure, Yoshi has a special shield, and it could work for Bowser and Squirtle as well, but it can't be applied to all characters. besides the bubble, the characters already do a defensive stance.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't need new shields, just the ability to change shield color.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
IMO since yoshi is the only character with a "special" shield, then instead of changing the whole world to match yoshi, i would give yoshi a new shield... the whole "cooking egg thing" was weird anyway.

But one thing i am really hoping for when it comes to shields, is the ability to change the direction of the shield, with "Cstick" instead of the slight control stick tilts. And maybe even make the position of your shield when taking damage, decrease the damage it takes?

Besides wouldn't it just feel right? *forefinger on trigger* left thumb on "rolls/spots"*right thumb on "shield position" and grabs*??

:phone:

No suggestions to change the shield from this sorry sap.
I prefer the colored shields. The pretty colors are quite awesome.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
For most characters they could always just cross their arms to block like many other fighting games and just have the characters turn to block the opponent if they attack from behind.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
For most characters they could always just cross their arms to block like many other fighting games and just have the characters turn to block the opponent if they attack from behind.
But one of the unique things about smash is cross-up on shields. This would sort of make the idea of crossing up on the opponents shield null and void since they'd just turn around anyway. :/

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
the thing is that yoshies eggs can break but bowser shell if it breaks it would hurt

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
What martial art uses a blocking technique where you cross your arms in front of you like in Dragon Ball Z? Is that just an anime thing? Seems painful on the wrists and leaves alot open. The most effective way of blocking is to turn your body sideways so you become a smaller target, and lift your knee to cover your lower half, and your elbows to cover your md while your hands cover your face. The raised leg offers the benefit of being able to immediately launch a counter kick. But that doesn't look as cool as locking your arms Goku style in an X.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't the shield get smaller if you've blocked too much? How does that work for characters like Yoshi?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Doesn't the shield get smaller if you've blocked too much? How does that work for characters like Yoshi?
Yoshi is the only character whose shield (egg) doesn't get smaller. Instead it slowly reddens and breaks.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But one of the unique things about smash is cross-up on shields. This would sort of make the idea of crossing up on the opponents shield null and void since they'd just turn around anyway. :/
The only fighting game I know of that automatically blocks crossups is Mortal Kombat.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh please, new shields can be a pretty big deal breaker in itself. I mean take a gander at Yoshi for example. His unique shield causes him to have poor out of shield options that prevents him from retaliating against offense play wearing down on his shield.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi can't shield jump out of his egg shield, which can be considered as a problem to some. Obviously, his poor shield mechanics can add to the reasons for why he's a below average character in the competitive standpoint.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I hate the way shields look now but I don't mind the way they function. Every character does not have to shield with items or props but it would look a lot nicer if we didn't have to see those ugly spheres all the time.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
Hey that sounds pretty cool! I got a few:

1. Peach hides in Perry from Super Princess Peach
2. Game and Watch's Donkey Kong 3 will encase himself in a bubble. (Then again, this is based on the modern one. ^^')
3. Zelda's Naryu's Love, a non-attack version.
4. Lucario's replacement will use protect. (Possibly Zoroark)

That's all I can think of.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I can't really think of any other ideas besides Yoshi...

But I think being able to customize the look of your shield would be cool. Choose which colour you want, pick different designs, somehow utilize the gamepad/ds touchscreen to draw and put stickers it. You could make Yoshi's into an Easter egg, or put a Boo design on your shield.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
The consesus seems to be that the functionality of the bubble shield is better than Yoshi's egg. But it would be better to have shields that actually make sense to the characters.
Obviously we can have both. Theres no reason why Yoshi's shield functionality can't be made the same as the bubble.

Hey that sounds pretty cool! I got a few:

1. Peach hides in Perry from Super Princess Peach
2. Game and Watch's Donkey Kong 3 will encase himself in a bubble. (Then again, this is based on the modern one. ^^')
3. Zelda's Naryu's Love, a non-attack version.
4. Lucario's replacement will use protect. (Possibly Zoroark)

That's all I can think of.
Great ideas. Don't understand the Game and Watch thing, but you could take virtually any object from his games and use it as his shield.

Just quickly off the top of my head:

5) Sonic - Pulls out one of the infamous sonic Rings to protect himself. It's about time they made an appearance in his moveset.

6) Mario - Pulls out a red koopa shell. (He can wear one as armour in Super mario RPG).

7) Link/Toon Link - Obviously uses his shield. It's bizarre he would use a bubble shield over his own one isn't it?

8) Ike/Marth - Just crouch and hold their swords accross themseles. When an enemy hits them the swords snaps at light speed into position to protect from it.

9) Squirtle and Bowser - Hide in shells.

10) Ivysaur - Giant protective leaf that he wraps himself in.

With a bit of imagination you can come up with something for almost all of the characters really.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I've had an idea in my head for some time now...what if shields only protected the front of you, and your back side is exposed?

Also, maybe Peach could block with her parasol in front of her?

Adrian G

Smash Rookie
ok, so this idea just came into my head. You know how yoshi's shield is him hiding inside his egg instead of having a bubble around him. Well why not have something like that for all characters. The random bubble looks so unnatural, why not have it so bowser hides behind his shell, and game and watch takes a random prop from one of his games. It would just make smash 4 a little cooler.
The consesus seems to be that the functionality of the bubble shield is better than Yoshi's egg. But it would be better to have shields that actually make sense to the characters.
Obviously we can have both. Theres no reason why Yoshi's shield functionality can't be made the same as the bubble.

Great ideas. Don't understand the Game and Watch thing, but you could take virtually any object from his games and use it as his shield.

Just quickly off the top of my head:

5) Sonic - Pulls out one of the infamous sonic Rings to protect himself. It's about time they made an appearance in his moveset.

6) Mario - Pulls out a red koopa shell. (He can wear one as armour in Super mario RPG).

7) Link/Toon Link - Obviously uses his shield. It's bizarre he would use a bubble shield over his own one isn't it?

8) Ike/Marth - Just crouch and hold their swords accross themseles. When an enemy hits them the swords snaps at light speed into position to protect from it.

9) Squirtle and Bowser - Hide in shells.

10) Ivysaur - Giant protective leaf that he wraps himself in.

With a bit of imagination you can come up with something for almost all of the characters really.

THIS. THIS A MILLION TIMES.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
What about Kirby, though? The only shielding move Kirby's ever had was a simple fist triumphant in the air coupled with sudden and impenetrable invincibility. :chuckle:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I actually like the bubbles. :(

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why not have the best of both worlds and have the characters pose like how they were described above, while still keeping the bubble shields.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Shields are universally small
Shields can be angled to higher degrees than they can currently
Shields do not decay in size, but do change in tint to reflect shield damage
Shield stun/advantage is handled on a move-by-move basis
Shields can be held for a longer period of time
Remove powershielding

Shield game solved. I realize this is mostly an aesthetic thread, but I've long held these thoughts on shields. Kuma has some more elaborate ideas.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, Kink, I was greatly inspired by your idea for shields. The only other thing that I might add to yours are alpha counters, but I'm wondering if that's excessive with dodge rolls unless we made the rolls the alpha counters like in KOF.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Kirby's Mirror ability gave him a bubble when he blocked.

So he should have a bubble.
He could also have the little Ice Barrier he gets in Super Star/Super Star Ultra when he has the Ice ability, but maybe that's just the fact that I want Kirby's moveset to have more variety in its Abilities.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm not saying it isn't a variety, I just wish there was more or better variety.

Top Bottom