• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Signature Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
There have been a few issues with our rules regarding signature size recently. The limit has pretty much always been 8 lines of text, but we've also said 140 pixels before. The problem is that 8 lines of text isn't really 140 pixels, so we were enforcing two different sizes. This combined with the fact that many users have oversized signatures means we need a bit of an update, one that most users will hopefully find fair.

Thus, effective Saturday, we will be implementing a few changes. The signature size limit will remain at 8 lines, or roughly 125 pixels. This includes any text and images combined you may have in your signature. There is no limit to width [EDIT: not true anymore, width is limited to 550 pixels], but bear in mind that some users will be using lower resolutions and your signature will appear differently to them. The only other requirement is that you keep the filesizes of your images down to a reasonable filesize; if it slows down page loading for other users we may remove it or lock your signature. This is mainly an issue for those with long animated GIFs.

Now, in order to enforce this, we will be adding an automatic cut off to signatures. Any signatures that are too long will be clipped in a user's web browser. We've tested the code behind this in several browsers, and it should work well with IE 5+, Mozilla/Firefox, Opera, Safari, and most other browsers that support max-height in the CSS 2 standard. Hopefully we can have a test set up so you can see if the clipping script will work for you.

Please note that these changes will result in the removal of all signature size warnings in the future, as these rules will effectively enforce themselves. Any warnings received until the change are still valid though, so no, we won't be removing those. Also note that if you still abuse your signature (mainly if the filesize is too big) you may have your signature locked, and possibly changed to something slightly embarrassing in the meantime.

Questions and comments are welcome.

RichBrown

Smash Master
i see, and it is good.

glad this is finally coming about, those clan banners have been pissing me off lately. just a few quick questions and comments:

-i think the width length should have a definite limit. while you did say to be courteous with the width, i think many banner users are gonna take this and run. some sort of limit, i think, should be set, the limit is up to you.

-ive noticed that many of the people in crews who only post in melee tournaments have HUGE sigs. are they exempt from this sig rule? seriously, most of their sigs are TWICE as long as their actual posts, its disgusting.

-finally, are we allowed to submit some different embarrasing sigs for those who abuse the rule? if so, i like this one (although it will have to be shortened, obviously):

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by TheMasterFoot
i see, and it is good.
Better for us than for you.

-i think the width length should have a definite limit. while you did say to be courteous with the width, i think many banner users are gonna take this and run. some sort of limit, i think, should be set, the limit is up to you.
If the width of a banner gets complaints, the signature of the person will be locked. Thus, if someone decides to do a wide width sig to spite the newly implemented rules, just PM a Mod and we'll take care of it.

-ive noticed that many of the people in crews who only post in melee tournaments have HUGE sigs. are they exempt from this sig rule? seriously, most of their sigs are TWICE as long as their actual posts, its disgusting.
They're mostly the ones who this rule is for. The automatic cutoff is effective in every room on the boards. If your signature is longer than the limit, the overflowing part will not show up, it's as simple as that.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does font size have any effect on the text limit?

I'm sure things get even bigger with Caps and large font sizes

vipor

Smash Rookie
this doesnt have to do with sigs exactly, but i was wondering how to upload custom avatars and what sizes were allowed? i was guessing 80x80 by the size of the preloaded ones....

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually it's 75 x 75 pixels.

But no, you can't have a custom avatar unless you donate $15 to the webmaster (Gideon).

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Width shouldn't be an issue, if a banner is too long for a user to see it it will be cut off in their browser. You have to think about other resolutions only if you want them to see your entire signature.

Font size is also affected. More lines of smaller text will fit in the signature than larger text. 8 lines of regular sized text is about the cutoff, but strictly speaking it's a pixel limit.

BTW, TMF, your proposed image also is too big for a signature.

soroush123

Smash Lord
so does this mean that you guys are working on the clan paychecks? (Could have used this earlier)

CloudKid2k4

Smash Lord
hold up...125 pixels?? all my banners were 140. does this mean they will be cut off? if that is the case then my banners will look horrible.

EDIT: they dont appear to be cut off? what do you mean by cutting it off?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
They'll be clipped. Anything longer than 125 pixels in your signature will not be visible.

As for having 140 pixel banners now, this is why we're announcing the change ahead of time.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I am not an intellagent person, could you please show an example of a signature that is too big? I understand the concept of eight lines of text but pixels are not a form of measurement I am accustomed to reading.

I just recently got this beautiful banner made for me by Jamo. I love the thing but it is kinda big. Is it too big?

Thanks.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I'm testing the sig clip on a premium style now, to make sure real-world stuff doesn't screw things up. It seems to work okay, so if there aren't any critical issues I'll probably port it over to all of the templates tomorrow.

As it turns out I was wrong about it clipping the width of images; those can still stretch the page if they're too big. The side effect of adding a definite width means it would wrap all text, which is kind of pointless if your entire sig is just text.

Bottom line, widths aren't clipped and may stretch the page like they do now. Thus you should keep your banner widths at no more than 550px; any more than that and we reserve the right to act on it, with warnings or locks or whatever we deem necessary.

"POOP"

Smash Cadet
could i put this in my sig?

its a picture of bart mooning (as in showing his yellow butt) us?
proboly now because this site is rated E for everone but i just wanted to know and even though no one will probloly read this for a while i figured i should ask so o wont get banned or anything.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
The sig clipping script has been implemented, only a week after I said it would. I'll modify the Global Rules next, but it'll just be to restate what's already been said in here. If something seems broken to you (or is), send me a PM with your browser/operating system, the style you're using, and tell me what's up.

soroush123

Smash Lord
Weird, why did you change the sig divider? The old one was better, now it's just a line.

usea

Smash Ace
could I make a recommendation for dialup users and those who dislike seeing all those annoying signatures?

turn off signatures in your options. I've had them off for like a year. they suck anyway.

also 125px is very reasonable. but about the 8 lines of text, does that include if text wraps? at what resolution do you count it to be wrapping?

also I haven't checked out the update in the global rules yet, but could you ammend the first post in this thread to reflect the 550px width limit?

and will the image clipping script still cause the whole image to be downloaded by clients? seems like it would.

thanks. good change.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
You're probably safe if you're not over 8 lines on a resolution of 800x600, since most users won't be below that, but it doesn't matter either way because if there's too much text it'll wrap in the browser. We could have limited width, but it's pointless to restrict text-only sigs to 550 pixels or so. Good idea about editing the first post, though, I'll do that now.

Yes, images will be downloaded by the client. It's annoying, but there's nothing that can really be done about that. That's why we reserve the right to lock particularly large sigs if they disrupt browsing, though.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Its tough to get to work, but if you highlight sigs with more than the the allowed amount and pull down while having holding down the left-click button, it will scroll down. It can also scroll back up. ^_^

I found this by accident because I have a habbit of highlighting text while I read, from back when I used to read fan-fics and my screen-saver was set to show up every two minutes...

~ Azure

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
There have been some odd happenings with SWF lately... whenever I visit any of the forums, the pages lock themselves at different times, even to the point of freezing Internet Explorer. This obviously makes browsing through the forums quite a bit of a hassle, but it also causes my cpu usage to jump and stay between 90 and 100%, all devoted to the page. This doesn't happen with any other sites to my knowledge, and I've talked with several other people who are having similar problems.

This started happening shortly after the new signature limiters were put in place, and has worsened by a great deal recently. Though I know that the limiters probably aren't the cause of this, I didn't know where else to post this, and at the distant chance that there is some connection, at least I brought it to the right place.

Hopefully this problem can be resolved fairly quickly.

pika_123

Smash Journeyman
It would help to know an exact filesize limit... 200K? because i'm keeping all mine to 100k because thats the limit at most other sites(i use the same sigs everywhere...) but if i can make it bigger, i will do an animated one just for here.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
100 KB is probably pushing it, you want to have 56k users in mind when you think about it. Waiting 10 seconds+ for someone's sig image to load isn't really acceptable. Basically "reasonable" is whatever size you can have without getting complaints that it stalls pageloads.

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
Read KiKi's post right above yours. Just because a person is Premium, doesn't mean their huge sig wouldn't slow down a 56k user.

VilNess

Smash Champion
my banner is 140x height but its length was reduced in its actual use.
So can I keep it that way? Because it seems to work even though it´s longer than 125x... not at its full lentgh, but it looks enough good.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Originally posted by Venom Dream
I found this by accident because I have a habbit of highlighting text while I read
lol, same here...

I should read the announcements more often...I was starting to see images getting clipped and I thought it was just my pc screwing up...:D

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
this banner's within the pixe limit, but I think its like 2 megs. i didn't read the rest of the thread, is this option out for my sig?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Oh yeah... I should've known before making it. thats why I also made you a normal one.

By the way, I dont know too much about how forums work, but is it possible for you guys to make an option that takes all non-avatar images and makes them into links to the pictures instead of showing them? if so this would be a really good option for thoughs who have slower connections. then again I dont know a thing about how these forums sites work.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Originally posted by UndrDog
By the way, I dont know too much about how forums work, but is it possible for you guys to make an option that takes all non-avatar images and makes them into links to the pictures instead of showing them? if so this would be a really good option for thoughs who have slower connections. then again I dont know a thing about how these forums sites work.
That's already possible. User CP > Edit Options > Thread View Options > Show image attachments/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wonder, does mine exceed the limits? I think so. I guess I only need to take out the picture, hmm.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, I've seen Sigs that arer way too big and they aren't being cut off. This puzzles me. All this big talk about Sig lengths and getting cut off and lots of sigs are more than the limit. Could you clear this up?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
To address that I'd have to see an example. I haven't seen any signatures that aren't being cut off properly.

It may also be a browser issue. Most browsers should support our implementation of sig clipping, but they may still have problems (IE included). If you can, try viewing the offending signatures in a browser that supports the max-height property in the CSS2 standard, such as Firefox or Opera. IE does not have native support for max-height, although we do use a script that attempts to circumvent this omission.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Here's an e xample. They seem to show up for about 5 minutes on SWF, then they start getting cut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom