• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New stage-specific AT (Tech-Hogging)

Kino

Smash Cadet
What is it and how is it performed?

The other night i was playing some matches and i discovered a really useful trick with a lot of potential.
Basically, if you are on yoshi's island (or any other map with an off-stage platform, i have only tested yoshi's island) and you are offstage floating through the air, if you land on the off-stage platform with a techroll in the direction of the ledge unless you land too far away you will roll of the platform and grab the ledge.

the "Tech-hog" happens really fast and it opens up a lot of options to defend yourself against gimpers or edgegaurders.

The Facts

How to tech-roll

Once knocked of the stage, only use di(aslong as you can make it back without any other form of recovery) , and carefuly aim your landing onto the off-stage platform and then tech-roll in the direction of the edge of the stage by pressing shield just before you hit the floor whilst holding the direction you want to roll in. if the tech-roll is spaced correctly then your character of choice will quickly roll through the air onto the edge.

From the edge is where the REAL fun happens. Choices choices choices, attack the opponent, or stay on the defence? its up to you.

Stages you can tech-hog on:

-Yoshi's Island -
Tech was discovered on this stage, but it's quite situational because of the platform not always being available, however, the platform is very small so it is easier to perform, as long as you don't land for the tech-roll too far on the right hand side (if the platform is on the right hand side of the stage, that is)
-Smashville- NEW!
I am not quite sure which of these stages are more situational, smashville is a lot harder to perform it on, but if you are good at performing it then it is much more consistent because you can watch the platform and time yourself better, but getting the spacing for the tech roll is harder, because of the larger platform.

Possible uses

I have thought of a lot of possible uses that make this technique worthy for high level play.

seeing as the hog itself happens very fast, it may be very effective to completely avoid some edgegaurding attacks with the frames in the tech roll itself and the invincibilility frames once you grab that ledge. And if you are quick, you can let go of the ledge by tapping back and then use your favorite aerial to punish the lag on the opponents edgegaurding attack if they are still stood by the stage.

As you can understand, it can be used to avoid edgegaurding in a completely unpredictable manner, giving yourself a new option to survive for even longer against aggressive opponents, frustrating them, and giving you more chances to rack up damage. On the other side of the coin, however, it can be used to open up your opponent like i mention in the first paragraph of the "possible uses" section

please read fully before you comment, and feel free to test it out. im not going to make a video myself because i am lazy and have no way atm to record my play, but if anyone tests it and likes the move, and you can record, please do, because I can expand on my points in this post thanks to a video.

Thanks for reading, Kino

swordgard

Smash Hero
Wont help allot considering people almost never tech in brawl because noone stays in tumbling animation long enough, they just air dodge to regain everything if they didnt jump instead.

Kino

Smash Cadet
Wont help allot considering people almost never tech in brawl because noone stays in tumbling animation long enough, they just air dodge to regain everything if they didnt jump instead.
thanks for spending 3 minutes reading my post.

I cover many possible uses, if your going to criticise it, please comment on the uses for it i have given in my post.

but anyway, i tech a fair share and im no noob, its habit and personal preference, an air dodge wont grab the ledge will it? the ledge hog will, so please dont compare air dodging to tech-hogging because they are completely different.
Tech hogging can be used offensivley, air dodging cant, the closest you can get is mindgames from it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I can see where your going with this.
Good job.
I can imagine this happening after a failed spike at Yoshi's island or something.

Kino

Smash Cadet
thanks DKKountry and sasukebowser.

the next step for this technique is to see if it will work from an on-stage platform and if any other stages have off-stage platforms that will work. i will be testing this when i have time

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wow. This looks interesting. I'll link it in the Wolf boards if you don't mind - I have a feeling it can be of some use :)

Kino

Smash Cadet
Gheb_01 ofcourse i don't mind if you do that, it would be great if this hits off and i can see it changing the way people edgegaurd/gimp and avoid being edgegaurded/gimped on Yoshi's Island for sure

N M E

Smash Apprentice
It will only work on on stage with stge platforms and can only think of yoshis story(brawl)

Kino

Smash Cadet
I have spent some time testing, and as i thought, smashville is a possible stage for this technique.

In celebration of me finding out another neutral stage this works on, I have revamped the original post, including a lot more information and a new paragraph "the facts"

enjoy.

Top Bottom