• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New "Super-attacks" - Yay or Nay?

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Do you remeber the very first trailer? In it we saw new characters, new stages, music by Uematsu... And new moves. Do you remember when Mario picked up something that looked like the smash-logo, got glowing eyes and after that unleashing a huge blast of fire at his opponents? And Link, counter-attacking with a powerattack of his own in form of speedy slashes and Mario trapped inside the Triforce?

Do you remember how you thought when you saw those moves? Will the characters in Brawl be overpowered? How will those moves affect the gameplay? Will they be banned from official competitions if it even will be able to disable them?

Speculate.

Kokichi's Edit: Lol @ Yar

Charzendat

Smash Apprentice
Yay.

It's an added layer to the game and was kinda missing before. It's also obvious that they are going to be very careful with these. One of Sakurai's goals was balance so it's not as if they are going to be so over powerd that it will seriously disrupt the game. And if you don't like them you could probably turn them off.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
90% chance of this being posted before, but oh well.
Hopefully you can turn them off. We haven't even seen them since the first trailer. We'll probably find out in the next "How to Play" update.

Charzendat

Smash Apprentice
I think in the next one we'll learn about A and B attacks. Then dodging, then throws, then using items and finally super smash attacks.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I think in the next one we'll learn about A and B attacks. Then dodging, then throws, then using items and finally super smash attacks.
And after that hopefully some new characters, if not sooner.

But I never saw any thread about those attacks and wondered why. But the mods can do what they want with his thread, if anything should be done.

Phil Ashio

Smash Cadet
Whatevers in the future I think that nintendo's not going to make it like a Street Fighter vs. Marvel or anything like that. With their 108 hit combos and such. Even though some players can already hit me like 108 times without me even touching them...ahem (Buttcrust).

By the way...who cares if this was already posted. "WE" haven't talk about it!!! So we should just go to the archeive if it was? That's stupid. How about the people who just joined smashboards? Their voice has to be silenced because someone already posted? I say post on if you want to hear what others want to say!!! As long as it pretains to Smash, who really cares?

I

i8waffles612

i bet you wario's super attack is his massive fart!!!

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't really mind 108 hit combos. It's pretty easy to dodge Super attacks in fighting games anyway, especially if the player is just launching them off without thinking. As long as there is an acceptable telegraph so the players who can hit the shield or dodge button can, and as long as the super isn't just an insta-death (Damage only plz). Besides, it looks like Link's and Mario's Supers are exactly that sort of thing (Big damage multi-hit attacks).

I think Super attacks are an awesome addition, And as long as everyone gets one, won't be too hard to balance (Just make sure Faster characters' supers aren't as good and you'll basically have it). And even then, it won't have to just be direct damage, perhaps someone could get a healing move, or a move that somehow disrupts battle (i.e. Stop/slows time, Puts everyone to sleep, Makes player immune for a little while) without causing damage.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
I'd really like to see Pikachu's Brawl-move (or whatever they're called)!!!
I hope it's some gigantic electro-inferno of pure epic destruction!

EDIT: Haha, after dotdotdot's post mine just sound plain unintelligent!
EDIT: And by the way, I really hope ther'll be a Brawl-move that slows down time! That sounds incredibly awesome!

Phil Ashio

Smash Cadet
Why don't we just call it Nintendo vs. Thrid Party Characters while we're at it? Com'n don't fix what is not broken.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yay, of course. More options are never bad.

After dotdotdot's post, and his mentions of putting people to sleep or stopping time, it is looking pretty likely that Jiggly's super-move is some sort of supped-up sleep song. I mean, the only reason that little balloon got popular was because he was a recurring theme in the series, by putting whole towns to sleep (yeah, I have, to my chagrin, watched pokémon. Having younger brothers has that kind of problems :/) so it is only fitting. And given I enjoy playing that little puffball (when I win with it, it's just funny to see the humiliated faces of my opponents), I am hoping for a good duration for this sleep. But that's just wishful thinking ;) .

As to other's specials... I'm hoping Pit's will include that super laser bow from the Sacred Armor (did that armor have a name? I don't seem to remember it being named. Of course, I was 5 at the time), unleashing a barrage of energy shots that would make Captain Marvel jealous. But again, wishful thinking, as Pit is probably my favorite of the revealed new characters (almost a tie between him and Meta. Meta is just cool) and he deserves to OWN for being the protagonist of what amounted to the best platformer of its era. As a little offtopic, please, Nintendo, make a new Kid Icarus for the Wii! It would be folly not to do it after Brawl catapults Pit back into the spotlight!

Ahem, ahem, sorry for that. Anyway, some more ideas... let's see... Luigi's will most likely involve his trusty anti-ghost vacuum, and it goes without saying that we can expect Zelda's magic skillz to deliver some good shiny for her special move, regardless of its effectivity. Meta... well, no idea. He has a rather diverse boss moveset, from creating tornadoes to hyperquick flurries of slashes that make Omnislash look sissy, so it could be anything. Of course, a Halberd bombing run would also be deemed worthy, but more likely than not the bombing run special will go to Fox :p. I'm hoping for Bowser's to include in some shape his little clown airship, which I loved, but I seriously doubt it. And if Snake's doesn't invoke, at the very least, annihilation by Metal Gear Rex, I suspect there will be many people dissapointed.

That is what crossed my mind. But who knows. I mean, Kirby's special was more or less logical, but I certainly wouldn't have expected Mario's to be a screen-spanning flamethrower, so all bets are off.

Top Bottom