• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New technique: Instant Dashing Grapple

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
Dear Smashworld forums,

Som and I have recently been playing around and we have found a new technique. Everyone knows about the instant running A, but we have found a way to do an instant running throw. With this technique you often get the range of a running throw without having to run. It increases the range of your throws by a considerable length. Yes, it has the recovery of a running grapple, but the range is a considerable payout for some of the cast I.E. Ness, Diddy, Jigglypuff

Side tilt + Z.

Give it a try, it can improve your game. Ness and Puff need it, ya know.

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
Yes, as you skip the dashing animation ENTIRELY and have additional increased range. Yes, I understand that some people have great range on their attacks, as this is not a solution to every/most situation. It's just that the benefit so so incredible;e for some of the cast.

Marty

Smash Apprentice
I assume so. This should at least be tested, as the benefits of dash grabbing without the inherent risk of tripping is something we should all have under our belts.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i dont know how useful this is or would i rather just do a pivot grab that increases length and fast movement for a % to trip...

ill look into it thanks bro

side tilt and Z lol...

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i dont know how useful this is or would i rather just do a pivot grab that increases length and fast movement for a % to trip...

ill look into it thanks bro

side tilt and Z lol...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
If I'm doing this correctly, then all I can infer is that this is still basically a dash-grab. See, when I tried it, it seems to skip the running animation, but the actual action still counts as a running action. Performing this technique is easy, but I tripped a few times. Therefore, using this grab as an anti-trip tactic probably won't do it much justice. However, you don't gain the momentum of actually running, so you'll almost stay in place when you attempt this. It gives characters like Ness more grab distance, but it doesn't quite...er prevent tripping which most would infer if you said that it "skips the running animation entirely".

TL;DR: Again, if it's just tilt + Z, then I did it correctly, and I can only see that it's a mini dashgrab, meaning you can still trip (I tried with Marth and Ness testing this technique, and they eventually tripped).

Eh, hope you can understand what I said. =/

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
this is just a dashing grab -___-''
i think you're mistaking the dashing grab with the running grab..... when you run... its not the same as the initial dash animation at the begining of the run...
i guess you would sorta think of it as a foxtrot grab but in the end it's still just a dashing grab

BBQ°

Smash Champion
or you could just do a dash + shield + grab. The shield cancels the running animation, and since you can grab out of a shield you do it a lot faster. Plus it increases the range of the grab. AND IT'S EASY

Medic

Smash Cadet
Hm...so how much would this increase range? I love playing Ivysaur, and if I can get an extra 10% grab range without a risk, that'll really help.

Top Bottom