• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New technique: Jab locks

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Anytime they dash up to you and you don't tech it (if you don't tech it, they'll be able to lock you)
They dash up to you and you don't tech what? A dash attack?

Or are you saying as you land far away they can rush that spot and start the lock? I'm guessing this.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They dash up to you and you don't tech what? A dash attack?

Or are you saying as you land far away they can rush that spot and start the lock? I'm guessing this.
1) You miss your tech.
2) When they dash up to you, you expected an attack and therefore tech.
3) You think they'll just stand there and wait for you to tech so you do a Get-up attack.
4) You roll to the side instead of a rolling tech.

The point is, it's situational but it does happen.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That doesn't seem correct.. b/c you're on the ground either way... please explain the difference in game physics to me because i am not understanding the minor tweak atm..
Because you can only lock them when they fall on their backs. The game differentiates from when you fall on your back, your stomach and your behind (Tripping).

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
1) You miss your tech.
2) When they dash up to you, you expected an attack and therefore tech.
3) You think they'll just stand there and wait for you to tech so you do a Get-up attack.
4) You roll to the side instead of a rolling tech.

The point is, it's situational but it does happen.
1/3 I can see working no problem. But with #2, you teched, so how does the lock work? Also, on number 4 if you roll, how can the lock work?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
1/3 I can see working no problem. But with #2, you teched, so how does the lock work? Also, on number 4 if you roll, how can the lock work?
The 4 options are options for what someone might do when someone runs up to them while they're under hitstun/in tumbling mode, not examples of when you'll get a lock in.

It was in response to "Why would anyone allow you to run up to them and jab them".

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Can Dedede do this out of his down throw?
On the lighter characters like kirby, olimar, game and watch, etc you cant normally chainthrow it does cause them to go into a missed tech, but theyd have to be super slow reacting to it for you to run up and jab them

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
No, you can't roll from that position. Once it begins, you're stuck in it until your opponent messes up, or runs out of room.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
even tho it proly wont be in tourneys, you could fight pika, with D3 on a walled stage(shadow moses is my fav) d-throw on a wall,. and jab infinitely

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
Nice find! We need more discoveries like these. Now I'll wait and see how long before somebody figures out how to guarantee a setup for one of these locks without needing the opponent to fall in front of them (i.e. find a move that inescapably positions the opponent for one of these).

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
But, wait, I thought you could just tech-roll backwards? O-o It's only if you fall on your stomach you can roll? Forgive me for this, but I haven't played Brawl in a while.

clace

Smash Journeyman
Isn't this kinda pointless? This is a bad type of glitch, it takes no effort to do, and is nearly inescapable when it hits you. It'll be banned from tournaments so I don't see how It would help.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
How could it be banned from tournaments? It does what, 30%? Many combos in Melee were inescapable and did way more than this. I could see this as a reason to ban any stage with a permanent wall though, like Shadow Moses Island, and to make stages with temporary walls like Pokestadium 1 as counterpick.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Most tournaments allow the stage luigi's mansion on as a counterpick, which happens to be the ONLY stage I can do it semi-consistently. It can be done, it is just retardedly hard to set it up on any other stage. Remember guys, its super easy to avoid getting locked, but if you do happen to get locked....well, you saw the video.

D

Deleted member

hmmm....a lock....created by jabbing.

verdict: NOT a stupid name. I approve.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Hey that was pretty tight. But alas another useless technique that doesn't arouse my interest to play Brawl at all. Your opponent would have to have a heart attack or somethin for this to work lol.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I hate you smash community.

Brawl has no combos, so you treat infinites like they are amazing. At least to pull off wobbling you had to have really good timing. This crap with D3 chain grabs, lazor locks, wall infinites, and other stuff is beyond annoying. The skill it requires to do the Jab combo is amazingly low. Step forward, punch, repeat. Amazing!

Did you try teching? ****, I know, you have to think to do it. But all you have to do is hit the shield button just before you land. Tough, but I think you can pull it off. That's why you don't see tournament videos with lazor locking, people can get out of it. If someone starts jabbing me while I'm on the ground, do you not expect me to do anything? No, I'm going to start by DIing, if that doesn't work, I'm going to shield. Well there you go, you may have gotten 2 hits off before I escaped. Nice, now let me punish you because you got up to get a drink while your turbo button went to work.

It's an interesting, but, for the love of Christ, not everything found needs 20 people hailing that this will break Brawl, will comlicate the tournament scene, change the meta, or is good at all. When I see a Bowsercide, I don't think, '****, that guy is good.' I think, 'Wow, sucks to lose a life like that, doesn't it?"

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
I hate you smash community.

Brawl has no combos, so you treat infinites like they are amazing. At least to pull off wobbling you had to have really good timing. This crap with D3 chain grabs, lazor locks, wall infinites, and other stuff is beyond annoying. The skill it requires to do the Jab combo is amazingly low. Step forward, punch, repeat. Amazing!

Did you try teching? ****, I know, you have to think to do it. But all you have to do is hit the shield button just before you land. Tough, but I think you can pull it off. That's why you don't see tournament videos with lazor locking, people can get out of it. If someone starts jabbing me while I'm on the ground, do you not expect me to do anything? No, I'm going to start by DIing, if that doesn't work, I'm going to shield. Well there you go, you may have gotten 2 hits off before I escaped. Nice, now let me punish you because you got up to get a drink while your turbo button went to work.

It's an interesting, but, for the love of Christ, not everything found needs 20 people hailing that this will break Brawl, will comlicate the tournament scene, change the meta, or is good at all. When I see a Bowsercide, I don't think, '****, that guy is good.' I think, 'Wow, sucks to lose a life like that, doesn't it?"
I think you missed the message of the video. I know I can't just down throw someone and have them flop down on the stage so I can jab lock them, they ARE going to do something. Again I will use Luigi's mansion as an example. On this stage, all you have to do to set this up is tornado to dtilt. Bam, jab lock. Link can do it at low percentages just by hitting point blank with the boomerang and jabbing. it can be done. We did some thinking about the usefulness of the technique, trust me, we wouldn't have posted a video about it if we didn't. this is mainly a punishment move. you aren't expected to go into a match saying "ok, I'm gonna jab lock him for at least 90% this round." What we are expecting is that if your opponent lands in front of you and doesn't tech, and you jab lock to punish them. Think about it that way.

Top Bottom