• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique - mindgame

Meta Ryu

Smash Apprentice
Out admist the icy plains of north america
yes so it;s not new, but this is a serious post. And with the lack of advanced techs for brawl at this early state in it's development I think it's prudent people read this.

Although for a list of techs please go to the appropriate guide forum list etc in the SWF, there's a lot of good references (Shield grabbing, wave-bouncing, lag canceling etc.)

Anyway though what alot of people are learning about now with the advent of Brawl and a large influx of new blood to the smash world (via brawl it self and forums like these) is the importance of mindgames, or "Yomi".

Yomi is a concept based on levels of counters between two players.
Here's an example to make it more clear:

Marth is fighting Fox, Marth knows he wants to hit fox with his strongest attack (aka dragon killer, his F+smash). This want to win via that strong attack his the first level of Yomi. Now through either prior knowledge or experience (aka getting hit by it and going "that freaking hurt!") Fox knows that marth wants to do that attack. Thusly he dashes at Marth, but instead of attacking again jumps up above marths reach and then having dodged dragon slayer comes down with his Dair combo of ridiculusnous. Now Marth (through prior knowledge or experience) learns that Fox knows about his F+smash, and knows he can counter it. So Marth counters fox's counter with a roll to the left and then short hop + Fair to Fox's face. And from that Fox will try to counter his counters counter etc.

Level 1 - Marth wants to use F+Smash
Level 2 - Fox counters with jump and Dair combo^R
LEvel 3 - Marth counters Fox's counter with Fair to the face
Level 4 - Fox unplugs Marths controller

thats a basic exmple of a mindgame, or Yomi levels. You and your opponent actively thinking about what they will do next. From this intensity and a sense of acheivement levels rise exponentially eventually achieveing the high skill level we all strive for that makes smash so awesome.

So in summary, use mindgames, think about what your oppoent will do and how your countering will work. It's like watching a tree grow it's entire life span in the entireity of a few minutes. You see the trunk grow from the roots which are the players basic skill level and the game itself. And then you see it branch out rapidly in many different directions as the Yomi levels create and recreate themselves in many different ways.

If you want to play at a high level, you have to think like a high level player.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
That's not a mindgame. That's playing smart.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
It probably would've been better had you just posted a link to the Sirlin article and asked Brawl players what they thought about it.

zeionut

Smash Apprentice
or like mindgames like wat i do wen i force some one on the ledge through edgeguarding and i know they are goin to get up with a roll so i walk back all the distance i need quickly and start chargin a f-smash with marth and yet the roll like i predicted and i punish

chansen

Smash Lord
good brawl mind games:

dedede: foxtrotting while holding jethammer
wario: nobody reads the bite, just stand there and let em run right into your jaws
lucas: snake before landing too bat, ugh its so ****.

jakeadactyl

Smash Apprentice
you should never be planning moves like this, every moment you should be reassessing the best possible move for that moment, not 'omgz drg0n kill3r is so BR00741!" and plan on killing with that.

then your oponent would not be able to plan a counter against your single-note plan

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
A mindgame is doing something, knowing that your opponent will most likely do something in relatiation, and then following up with something that usually punishes them for that.
More or less.

You cannot say "dodging an enemy attack and attacking afterwards" is a mindgame.

Banned via Administration
you should never be planning moves like this, every moment you should be reassessing the best possible move for that moment, not 'omgz drg0n kill3r is so BR00741!" and plan on killing with that.

then your oponent would not be able to plan a counter against your single-note plan
SCRUB ALERT!!!!!!!!

2spec

Smash Rookie
the knowledge of which this topic was written upon is vague. mind games is not just about continually countering your opponent. nice try, lol -=]

Duker

Smash Journeyman
Seems good, but improvisation>>Yomi levels.

BTW :p
Wikipedia said:
Yomi (黄泉), the Japanese word for the underworld in which horrible creatures guard the exits; according to Shinto mythology as related in Kojiki, this is where the dead go to dwell and apparently rot indefinitely. Once one has eaten at the hearth of Yomi it is impossible to return to the land of the living. Yomi is comparable to Hades or hell

Top Bottom