• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Mario, need some tips that the guide does not already discuss!

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
So I'm new to Mario and fairly new to melee as a game. I started out as a Brawl player but started playing melee to improve my tech, since I was terrible with the controller and me and my friends just go in to melee all of a sudden. Funny how addicting this game is.

So anyway! Now I play Mario in melee!

I've checked out the Mario guide and read some stuff about his moves and matchups, what I'm looking for now is some personal stuff. Have you, as an experience Mario master, discovered some neat things the guide does not bring up? Some magic new tactic in some matchups? Cool ways to recover perhaps? Any pointers what so ever is deeply appreciated!

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
I've discovered in my travels that there are a surprising amount of things that you can cape back at people that don't make any sense. for example, pikachu's down b can be caped. It will continue down to him but will cause damage and knockback. It's weird.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I've discovered in my travels that there are a surprising amount of things that you can cape back at people that don't make any sense. for example, pikachu's down b can be caped. It will continue down to him but will cause damage and knockback. It's weird.
Wow, I'm soooo trying that! :D

Last edited:

Britex

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing you know about the up-b walljump? If not then watch this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLC_cYFKTs

Dash attack near a ledge, and hold the stick towards the ledge until the move is about to end. When dash attack is about to finish, hold the stick towards the stage and you'll fall off while facing the stage, allowing you to grab the ledge. Haven't found any use for this, you should ask a rookie about it since he's the one who told me about it.

When you fast-fall your dair into the ground, it create a little ''shockwave''. This attack has fixed damage and knockback. This thing is terribly underused and I'm sure it could have plenty of uses. Right now I'm trying to use it on the ledge (edge cancelling it) as someone is recovering, not sure how legit this is.

Finally, I think Dair is an incredible edgeguard move vs Fox/Falco. Just do this: The next time you play vs a space animal, either back-throw or forward throw him off the ledge, then jump after him and just dair him. Wether you catch his side-b or up-b, you can usually follow it up with another aerial and guarantee a kill.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing you know about the up-b walljump? If not then watch this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLC_cYFKTs

Dash attack near a ledge, and hold the stick towards the ledge until the move is about to end. When dash attack is about to finish, hold the stick towards the stage and you'll fall off while facing the stage, allowing you to grab the ledge. Haven't found any use for this, you should ask a rookie about it since he's the one who told me about it.

When you fast-fall your dair into the ground, it create a little ''shockwave''. This attack has fixed damage and knockback. This thing is terribly underused and I'm sure it could have plenty of uses. Right now I'm trying to use it on the ledge (edge cancelling it) as someone is recovering, not sure how legit this is.

Finally, I think Dair is an incredible edgeguard move vs Fox/Falco. Just do this: The next time you play vs a space animal, either back-throw or forward throw him off the ledge, then jump after him and just dair him. Wether you catch his side-b or up-b, you can usually follow it up with another aerial and guarantee a kill.
Interesting! I know about the Walljump thing and I sat in training and practiced it, but maaaan the timing is hard, also it only seem to work if Mario is hugging the wall, the walljump range seems shorter, making it very situational. I only really find it useful on Yoshis, but I'll look into it more!

And I'll try to work more with dair, to see how it goes, the edge guard thing sound interesting, I'll try that!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Britex

Smash Apprentice
You can also do it while being away from the wall, and you can do it on pretty much every stage in the game. The timing is different when not hugging the wall; it's harder.

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
Personally I would like to see a walljump tutorial video with the controller shown. I feel like if I actually saw someone do it and could connect the motion with the act I could do it 9/10

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice

Rookie told me about the shockwave thing, i've been looking for bits here and there that are useful for it. Im sure its got something.

Dair is really good if you catch there jump, you can't really reach them, their are ways around it. Back throw sends them far enough and I am pretty sure forward throw doesn't have enough hitstun even at zero percent. But it is really good and I use it a lot(I can't remember when I found out about this but I was super excited and always do it when I think it'll connect. There is also the reverse bair option when trying to catch the double jump since you recover much faster. You can see me go for both in this set vs squid. Forward throw is really good as well I don't have any examples of that one though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA15hFRseWo#t=12m20s (they happen within 20 seconds of each other so I won't post it twice)

Your correct about catching their double jump with an aerial and then killing them. After sniping there double jump with an aerial and them slapping them with another one, what I always try and do to finish them off is reverse up B. The one coin will send at least falco's just far enough to where they won't reach the stage.

Up b wall jumping

To give slight frame data to up b wall jumps, when hugging them you have usually about 7 frames to do it, when your not hugging the wall you have 2 frames, but it is also really picky. We really need somebody who knows something about frame data to look at it more than I have(which was really just jeezimsobored).

A good place to practice on is Final destination for up b wall jumps(aside from obviously yoshi story), you can fully hug the wall on final destination and do the wall jump like a yoshi story timing. I also like to practice not hugging the wall up b wall jumps by up b'ing above the ledge and then going for the wall jump. So you can at least keep trying instead of falling to your death all the time.

On another note IM BACK SUUUP PPL.
I'll be continuing my guide and stuff too. So look forward to that(for whoever cares). Hope any of this may help you guys.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, too bad I don't have a cap card D: Or else i could record up b wall jump timing while using my webcam to show my hand/controller to visually see the timing.

Top Bottom