• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Melee, just went to my first tournament (Youmacon)

Duel

Smash Apprentice
So I just wanted to introduce myself, I went to my first tournament yesterday, Youmacon, and got my ass kicked.
I learned a lot as far as how far a I have to go, and what I need to work on. It was nice to win at least one match, which I did, so that made the drive home a littler easier.

More importantly however, I met a lot of helpful players who were willing to give me advice on what it takes to improve my game. I am talkative, so it was helpful in picking good player's brains. Thanks especially to Anther, and Foot.

I am in Lansing Michigan, the West side, so if anyone knows of a scene around here I wouldn't mind joining in and trying to improve my overall game.

Thanks, and I look forward to joining the community.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Welcome! I hope you have an awesome experience and remember that persistence is one of the most important attributes to have while playing Melee...or any game for that matter, like Life.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Awesome! I can say that winning one match at your first tournament makes you better than most. I got 2-0d twice at my very first tournament. Now I consistently place top 5 at locals.
It's only been a year, and I can't imagine what lies ahead in my tournament life. It only gets better from here dude, and you seem to have the right mindset already. Welcome to the community!

Can I ask who your main is?

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Welcome! I hope you have an awesome experience and remember that persistence is one of the most important attributes to have while playing Melee...or any game for that matter, like Life.

Thanks, I was using Falco at the tournament, and consider him my main for now, though that may change. I practiced for two weeks, probably about 10 hours total, so keeping that in mind I am happy with where I am at now. I short hop, fast fall, l cancel, all pretty well, and I wavedash decently, but not well enough where it is incorporated well into my movements.

One big thing that stuck out to me was my lack of practice wavelanding, and the importance of it. That will be something I will be working on a lot now.

I made it a goal when I got to the tournament to try and play the best person there as much as I could, and I was fortunate enough to play m2k for about a half an hour, 15 minutes of singles and 15 minutes of doubles. I got absolutely destroyed, but I enjoyed seeing how far I have to go.

Foot - Rabidjokester

Smash Rookie
So I just wanted to introduce myself, I went to my first tournament yesterday, Youmacon, and got my *** kicked.
I learned a lot as far as how far a I have to go, and what I need to work on. It was nice to win at least one match, which I did, so that made the drive home a littler easier.

More importantly however, I met a lot of helpful players who were willing to give me advice on what it takes to improve my game. I am talkative, so it was helpful in picking good player's brains. Thanks especially to Anther, and Foot.

I am in Lansing Michigan, the West side, so if anyone knows of a scene around here I wouldn't mind joining in and trying to improve my overall game.

Thanks, and I look forward to joining the community.

Anytime Duel. After 2 years of not playing its nice to see the community is just as strong as ever. Made a account again hopefully going to be active for a long time again.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Anytime Duel. After 2 years of not playing its nice to see the community is just as strong as ever. Made a account again hopefully going to be active for a long time again.

I'll be practicing, hope to give you a better match next time =)

Duel

Smash Apprentice
tomorrow at 7pm until midnight is a smashfest in the basement of shaw hall in east lansing.

Thanks for letting me know, I think I am going to work on my tech skill a little more though before I show up to things like that. But, it is good to know things like that are going on around me.

Anther

Smash Champion
Thanks for letting me know, I think I am going to work on my tech skill a little more though before I show up to things like that. But, it is good to know things like that are going on around me.
That's the best time to ever show up to a smashfest! The alternative is to spend that time you could've spent playing with others.. playing the game by yourself.. and that's no fun. If you can make it you should go :p, it's worth it.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
That's the best time to ever show up to a smashfest! The alternative is to spend that time you could've spent playing with others.. playing the game by yourself.. and that's no fun. If you can make it you should go :p, it's worth it.

Lol ok thanks, I just didn't want to make a complete fool of myself.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I remember my first tournament :p I also got my ass kicked. That was like 7 years ago.

Top Bottom