• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new to R.O.B. tips please.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
i just started playing R.O.B and i want to know if there are any AT's i should know about. also i want to know what should i incorporate into my game, so far all i know is to glide toss. thanks and i hope i fit well in R.O.B's community.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Reading Overswarm's thread should boost you off to a good start :)

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The best thing R.O.B. has is his Up+B. Learn it well, brand it into your muscle memory, learn all of its tricks. It will win you nearly every game you play.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
No one likes a sarcastic R.O.B. newbie :bee:

wait...
i wasn't being sarcastic. is that i noticed he was so simple to use. I main marth and everytime i play with him it gets boring and repetitve. so i decided i wanted a new character to play as. someone who has good attacks, projectiles and has good recovery. R.O.B fits all of these. i'm kinda excited to see how my style of play is going to be when i play as him.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
three things to knkow about rob and how to win tournies with him

1. spotdodge to downsmash
2. gyro and lazer are the tools ull be using every few seconds
3. gimp or wait till 130+% to kill. nair and bair are too good.

gyro destroys snakes dashes

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
R.O.B. is, by far, the most versatile character in Brawl.

That being said, this prevent him from truly shining in any one aspect (except maybe recovery). That means it's up to the player to exploit R.O.B.'s strengths against the particular player and character he is facing and underpinning their own weaknesses rather than trying to rely on a particular exploit.

Hugs, I think, is an example of what a R.O.B. player should be. His "reactive" strategy is exactly how a R.O.B. should work; prevent the opponent from doing his thing by countering it with good strategy. R.O.B.'s versatility lets you do this in a number of ways, either allowing you to modify your entire strategy to counter the opponent's or to add something to your current strategy to keep something the opponent is doing from working.

In contrast, a character like Snake relies almost completely on stage control and overpowered KO moves, Metaknight relies on rushing and overwhelming the opponent with attacks, Ganondorf requires carefully gauging the opponent to find an opening and punish with a barrage of damage. R.O.B. can actually do all of these pretty effectively (except for the overpowered KO moves), but not quite as effectively as these characters can. He's a jack of all trades, so he'll be able to perform anything you want, just not to an uber level, kinda like Ivy from SCII.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
And try to attack the opponents with your moves while you avoid their attacks.

Attacking the opponent and avoiding his attacks usually is the best way to go.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
ROB is a rather advanced character in the sense that he gets so many kills from his air game and edgeguarding. The majority of his moves are not very powerful, so you will have to either get them to a high %, or kill them via edgeguard or air-game. ROB can massacre chars with bad recoverys, but when facing someone with a great recovery he has a bit of a harder time.

For his ground game, spam his projectiles. The laser is REALLY good, and the gyro is great for damage. Other than the projectiles I must emphasize his jab. The jab comes out quick, and has a decieving range. It keeps them away from you while dealing damage. Also, ROB's D-Smash is great. It may lack a bit of damage, but it is fast as a rabid hamster and can punish spot-dodgers.

Overall, ROB is a very solid character. He easily has one of the best recoveries in the game, and is a very satisfying character to play :chuckle:

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
Try and use FTilt instead of FSmash. The Spot Dodge - DSmash is VERY useful I've found. The other thing is Edgeguarding - as soon as they're off the edge, you should be able to kill them (unless they have great recovery). Try WOPing (continuously Fair them, making use of UpB) or your Nair, because it covers a lot of area (hard for them to avoid, and it's one of his best KOing attacks)

And make use of your Lazer and Gyro a lot. Lazer is pretty versatile with straight, angled up or angled down. Gyro is just fun =D

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
hhhuuuhh????

Play at a high level of play against a G&W/DDD/MK >_>;

its like peach in melee.. yeah you can Dsmash... but there's a reason MikeG never won an mlg :(
sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I wanted to reply but I forgot.

What exactly do you mean? you're right I never won an MLG but Ive placed 2nd at one which Azen won. Also even tho this is old a ROB player placed 1st at EVO. The rules were iffy but thats another story.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I wanted to reply but I forgot.

What exactly do you mean? you're right I never won an MLG but Ive placed 2nd at one which Azen won. Also even tho this is old a ROB player placed 1st at EVO. The rules were iffy but thats another story.
The ROB that won EVO was a joke, Ken is clearly a better player.

But I think the point Chozen was trying to make is that ROB has a few VERY one-sided matchups against top tier characters, which makes it virtually impossible for someone to win a major tournament going only ROB without a strong secondary.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
The ROB that won EVO was a joke, Ken is clearly a better player.

But I think the point Chozen was trying to make is that ROB has a few VERY one-sided matchups against top tier characters, which makes it virtually impossible for someone to win a major tournament going only ROB without a strong secondary.

OK, that CPU kid wasnt the greatest ROB player but give the guy credit. It's no joke to beat ken in a tourney finals even with Items. That's alot of pressure for one guy lol

I also do not agree with the second part but you guys are the ROB experts. I won't argue about something I'm new to :)

ipitydatfu- Kamina Is too manly lol

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The only big obstacle I see for R.O.B. is Metaknight.

It's not that he's unbeatable, it's just that it's so difficult to take down a gauntlet of Metaknights at a tournament.

Game and Watch and Pikachu are similar in this regard, but their defense are far more exploitable and their recoveries are not nearly as good.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
OK, that CPU kid wasnt the greatest ROB player but give the guy credit. It's no joke to beat ken in a tourney finals even with Items. That's alot of pressure for one guy lol

I also do not agree with the second part but you guys are the ROB experts. I won't argue about something I'm new to :)

ipitydatfu- Kamina Is too manly lol
lol MikeG.. you playin brawl now?

zzz99

Smash Apprentice
the way i love playing R.O.B. is to absolutely frustrate your opponent to DEATH
once you catch on to their strategy, form a counter strategy
rinse repeat
just watch out, ROB ain't so hot when he's above the opponent, but an unexpected dair spike is always nice to get off
only on bad recoveries though, this hardly works on metaknight

Top Bottom