• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Sonic and PM, advice please.

64powered

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm pretty new to the competitive side of PM and after playing it casual with a few friends I've decided to go for it and actually learn to play the game. I am competitive in other fighters such as Guilty Gear and Blazblue, so that has helped me with basics and I've put in the time to learn sonic's moveset and applications of those moves(not so much frame data though).

I'm posting this here because I like some advice on how to approach learning the game as sonic, and what I mean is what are sonic's optimal movement options, tips and tricks, how to combo/ ledge guard/ go for the kill(and not kill myself in the process) and how to practice basic mechanics of PM. Any and all input is appreciated. I know about most tech in PM but not how to do it or confirm that I am doing it correctly so you won't need to explain the terminology to me unless i specifically ask (and that will be after I try my best to figure it out for myself). If i could record my games with friends I would and post in the critique thread, but sadly I can not.

Once again thank you all for the help ^_^

Last edited:

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
and how to practice basic mechanics of PM. Any and all input is appreciated. I know about most tech in PM but not how to do it or confirm that I am doing it correctly so you won't need to explain the terminology
I am in a similar boat - and the above really interests me too.

I love that PM has a L cancel % stat which is really helping me - I find it great that I can put a tangible stat on each game and see if I am improving in incorporating certain tech into my muscle memory.

I personally come from a competitive background, though retired, from other genres - which has helped me in my approach in how to learn - which you seem to mirror, but unfortunately for me I dont have that much transferable fighter knowledge (though I do have a lot of player vs player, so I guess there is some things there like trade offs, resources etc..)

One thing I am really curious about is how much people use wavedashing in their sonic game, when and where. I am starting to get to the point I can do it fair consistently, but struggle to see where I should be applying it.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
One thing I am really curious about is how much people use wavedashing in their sonic game, when and where. I am starting to get to the point I can do it fair consistently, but struggle to see where I should be applying it.
Not that I can do it really at all, but one thing I've seen other really good sonics use it for is to wavedash out of side-b.

Personally, with Sonic's really fast ground speed, I find wave landing more useful than wavedashing.

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7FLjIqPbmhWNfClQTNg_rZTMIq-yW8w

These are the fundamentals, basically sonic after 3.5 is entirely fundamentals, you might as well think of him as a floaty falco with no lasers or shine, foxs speed, and a great off stage game

If you learn and practice those basics and avoid using down-b, side-b, and neutral-b untill you feel you fully understand the basics enough to incorporate them only where they will enhance your current play youll become an amazing player

also, know theres a difference between fundamentals and fundamental tech: fundamentals are your view on the game like spacing, punish game, and recovery. Fundamental tech is stuff like l cancelling, wave dashing, and dash dancing. Fundamental tech is ofcourse needed but you have to learn how to apply it to your actual fundamentals in order to enhance those, because thats what tech is a tool to enhance your fundamentals.

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
On top of his great dash dance, Sonic has one of the best wavelands in the game. Once you learn how to wave dash effectively, wavelanding will add a lot to your game.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
On top of his great dash dance, Sonic has one of the best wavelands in the game. Once you learn how to wave dash effectively, wavelanding will add a lot to your game.
I've often felt like wavelanding was more useful in my Sonic game than wavedashing. What is it about wavelanding in particular that's so good with Sonic that doesn't equally apply to wavedashing?

GabPR

Smash Lord
Sonics regular wavedash lenght is decent at best, but it pales in comparison to the lenght and travel speed of his waveland. It adds a lot more diversity into your movement and it lets you re-position yourself from any bad situation with ease.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
I thought wavedashing and wavelanding worked on the same principle? I always assumed that the relative distance between the two was constant for all characters. No?
Heh, I guess I just never wavedash because Sonics run speed is so dang high I'd rather just dash the short distance.

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
Thanks buddy, the video link isnt working, think its missing a bit off the link, would be great if you had the rest of it! :D
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7FLjIqPbmhWNfClQTNg_rZTMIq-yW8w
my apologies thats it fixed, gonna edit the post too

I thought wavedashing and wavelanding worked on the same principle? I always assumed that the relative distance between the two was constant for all characters. No?
Heh, I guess I just never wavedash because Sonics run speed is so dang high I'd rather just dash the short distance.
This is true, i think its just that his waveland has a 3 frame window because of his jump animation that makes it seem alot longer. His wavedash for sure though isnt anything to laugh at especially if you hit full run before jumping (sonic carries an insane amount of momentum into his jump from his run but not his dash), so hell slide about half a battlefield platforms length before even finishing his jumpsquat, combine that with a nearely horizontal wavedash and he goes fast like sonic should lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom