• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to SSBB, got a few questions.

fuzzB

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, SSBB just came out in Australia today, I've decided I want to get decent at the game, I played Melee and SSB64 but just really casually with friends so I'm not good at all.

I have decided I want to play as Falco, Just wondering is he a hard character to learn? can anyone give me some tips? good ways to improve? etc

Also I am very unaware what all the advanced terms are, I have been browsing these forums a bit and a lot of these terms confuse me so yeah if someone can teach me what a few basic things mean that would be awesome too.

Thanks~

Corigames

Smash Hero
The best way to learn how to play a character would be to go to the character specific boards. Go back out to the main page, look for "Character Specific" under the Brawl section. Go there and find the Falco boards. Make sure not to go to the melee section ;)

As a note, approaching by short-hopping and shooting lazers is very good, as well has his semi-chain grab off his down throw.

Organous

Smash Apprentice
Ok, here's the deal. Take some time to explore every character, even the ones you think are gonna bite it horribly. Aside from simply finding out what you'd be up against, you'll also find there are significant differences from Melee. Brawl is almost a whole other game. Many of the good characters of Melee got toned down, the bad ones improved, all in an attempt to balance out the game. For example, Din's Fire from Zelda is much more effective, Toon Link's Dair (downward air attack) is a stall-then-fall like Shiek's Dair, and Mario's spinning special move is practically removed from the game altogether. From what I hear, Meta-Knight and Snake are the primary characters for serious play, but they of course can be countered by other things.
Once you've tried all characters and figured out what feels like the best thing for you, then you can take a trip to the advanced techniques. The tech play is vastly smaller than Melee, but of course there's always some things that slipped through the cracks.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I say just play who you want. Play everyone and chose who you have the most fun with or who fits your playstyle the most. Thats not how I did it cause if Lucario was going to make it I was going to main him.

About not knowing terms: don't worry. I still don't really know a lot. Usually while you are in a conversation in a thread you can just say "Hey, sorry, but I don't know what ____ is. New here. Could you explain it?" or something like that. And hopefully the people there are nice and take a couple minutes out of their time to give you a brief overview of what the term/tactic is.

fuzzB

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys

Also I found Smashwiki helps alot whenever I find a word I don't know I just type it in and bam. :D

I also learnt some new stuff within like 20 mins of browsing the falco board so that really helped so thanks for the guidance

Top Bottom