• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW! What to do when you get grabbed

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
SPAM down on the C-stick!!!!

Jabbing doesn't work and that seems to be what most players do

Here's why spamming down on the C-stick works:

One of Nana's main things about her AI is that she has to follow Popo. So if you spam down on the c-stick it covers all options when following Popo:

-If the opponent doesn't throw you, Nana will hit them with D-Smash no matter what because it comes out in 4(maybe 3) frames and covers both sides of her because she wraps the hammer around her body. so it doesn't matter what side of the opponent Nana is on they will get hit

-if they do throw you Nana will jump and then cancel her jump with a d-air and hit your opponent

-if Nana gets grabbed Popo will hit your opponent with D-smash

it's the best option, start doing it

Smoom77

Smash Master
Would that still work with like when Snake buffers his b-throw? Is it fast enough?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Um, jabbing does work and gets you a free grab. I almost always get a free grab whenever someone grabs me. Just jab to grab.

This is good to know though.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Um, jabbing does work and gets you a free grab. I almost always get a free grab whenever someone grabs me. Just jab to grab.

this was the kind of thing i was expecting from this thread, how to turn their grab into your grab
does having nana use blizzard turn into a reliable grab opportunity?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR

that's not a free grab, it's escapable. Popo's 30 frames of breaking animation is longer then your opponents lag when jabbed. It is a good mindgame though

PLUS down on the C-stick is safer and more reliable

lain

Smash Master
The jab to grab isn't exactly guaranteed, but it definitely CAN work.

I'll try the dsmash thing. I'm pretty sure it'll make Nana dash attack too which is (in my opinion) the most helpful option.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
It really does seem to cover a lot of options. I guess the only obvious loophole I see in this is if Nana's in the air, close enough to you for the input to work, but far enough for D-air to miss. However, I don't know specifics regarding D-air's range compared to where she's synched for it to work - it might go either way. I suppose characters with throws that move them somewhere (read: Pika's B-throw) can also escape the effect, though a dash attack might work as Nana could end up dashing to catch up to the B-thrown Popo.

Prawn

Smash Master
I had always just spammed buttons LOL

will try to improve my game in experiementing with the jab/dsmash options

J4pu

Smash Champion
what about side B?
if nana is in the air she will fall towards where you are telling her (which is the opponent i hope) if she's on the ground she can do it towards the opponent, it hits multiple times with minimal knockback which allows you to recover from being released and then grab (or smash) them yourself.

I realize it's DI-able etc. but it seems to me that at best it puts you in an advantageous position and at worst you end up in a neutralish position with your IC's already desynced.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I've been trying D-Smash, and it helps out a lot.
But if Nana is in only walking distance away from you, she may D-smash slightly out of range, making it a wasted effort.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying this and it works to some extent, but their pummel always seems to keep nana from doing anything. Sometimes I use squall and that works and usually gets me a grab on the first or second hit of it.

Top Bottom