• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia #1: Game over, Scum win!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm going to stop myself from making a comment.

Still, Chaco does seem to be following the logical train of thought. We can bide our time until we get a better idea.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Lmao, Teran. I kinda get what you were gonna say.

I think this is our best option still. Can we vote already?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'd still like to hear something from TUSM and frozenflame751 before the end of the Day. At least to acknowledge they exist.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i think it's too early for us to just no-lynch. there are 2 people who have yet to post, nobody's voted anyone else, and we haven't been trying to find mafia. if we no lynch now we're going to have a dead townie and an investigation which wouldn't be able to be shared yet assuming the cop doesn't die toNight. plus we'd just be back where we started with so little discussion

So, question, how is the first day handled concerning voting? There's not much info in the beginning - is it just random accusations?
i forgot to answer this. usually it starts out with most of the players doing joke votes, they gauge reactions, and vote for whatever they see suspicious even if it's a little thing. it could range from me voting for teran for posting in yellow text or voting for frozenflame because i'm not town and think tom would make the other teacher guy mafia, or voting chaco, airgemini, or teran for suggesting a no lynch when there are players who haven't even posted. or sometimes a lot of people will vote a person for a dumb reason (bandwagon) and they get analyzed for being so quick to jump on one person

Chaco

Never Logs In
I didn't even think of that. Good thing you posted that. So we need to try to gauge people off of their votes?

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
I had no idea that this game was so in depth. So many potential theories and accusations. This is awesome.

As for the lynch/no-lynch, I suppose we could "not" lynch someone, but where else good we get information from?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I have to agree with Teran, it was hypothetical for explanation purposes.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Oooh now things are getting a bit more interesting :p

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Let's kill Air, for the hell of it.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey everyone, I'm here. Sorry about being a bit late, my brithday was yesterday and I've bit a bit busy with festivities.

In any event, I'd like to welcome all the fresh players to the game! Mafia is a great game to learn and it'll only get more fun as you learn more and more about it.

So yeah, regarding day one, I saw one or two people had asked about how voting is looked upon early in day 1. As someone said earlier, there really isn't anything of substance to discuss and as such, so points to argue or behaviors to scrutinize that would eventually comprise one's reasoning for placing a vote upon another player. In other words, no one has realy had the opportunity to show, or sniff out, scum tells.

So yeah, early day one is typically defined by "joke voting" behavior, in which players will randomly (or in some cases not so much) vote for other players. At this point in the game it is best to be thinking not about what is said, but about WHY people are saying what they say. What could influence a particular word choice? What hidden secrets could provoke evasive or non-committal language? What sort of pressure or fear would lead a player to back off a pursuit, target a specific player, or prey on a mistake that they seemed to selectively pass over earlier? In this game, WHAT has been said isn't always as important as WHY something was said.

Pursuing a no lynch in a game of this size would be a most regrettable choice. Though the town has been granted 2 more players than normal, which puts us out of a one day failure = Day 2 lylo (lynch or loose, a state of the game in which the townpeople MUST lynch a mafia, or else they will loose) situation, going with no lynch not only will give us very little information, but mathematically does not buy us an extra day of play. In a game such as this, the no lynch option should ONLY ever be considered if and when the game has reached a 4 town, 2 mafia status, in which case, going with no lynch and allowing the mafia to kill another townie will increase the mathematical probability of lynching a mafia, so long as the townspeople are well aware of the impending loss that ONE misplaced vote would cause. That's a bridge hopefully us townies won't have to cross though.

Concerning the setup, I have faith that Tom was true to his words and really did allocate players to roles randomly. It was a common flaw of old mafiascum C9 games that mods would consistenly break up the inexperiance challenege players to different factions, leading to easy town confirmations/mafia lynchs when one IC player died.

And lastly, it's time for a bit of substance.

Marshy;7684511i forgot to answer this. usually it starts out with most of the players doing joke votes said:
because i'm not town [/b]and think tom would make the other teacher guy mafia, or voting chaco, airgemini, or teran for suggesting a no lynch when there are players who haven't even posted. or sometimes a lot of people will vote a person for a dumb reason (bandwagon) and they get analyzed for being so quick to jump on one person
This is what one could consider a freudian slip. You'd be hard pressed to find a game where they can matter more. XP I'd love to hear what Mr. Marshy has to say about this one.

Vote: Marshy

Chaco

Never Logs In
I feel that XACE K has been acting rather jumpy since the beginning.

Vote: XACE-K

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
it was a mistake and i meant to say "because i'm not mafia and think tom would make the other mafia". my only other defense is that i remember making a similar mistake in another game on here where i said something along the lines of "i'm independent/mafia" when i was town there too

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Vote: Tom

This will be fun.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
i should point out that xace-k needs one more vote before he's lynched and we go into night. everyone's voting him with little to no reasoning (bandwagon) so only vote him next if you're mafia. his lynch isn't very justified at the moment

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
i should point out that xace-k needs one more vote before he's lynched and we go into night. everyone's voting him with little to no reasoning (bandwagon) so only vote him next if you're mafia. his lynch isn't very justified at the moment
What you say seems a bit unjustified. Were somebody to vote for Xace, they would be bandwagoners, just like the rest. You can't determine if they're mafia or not just by bandwagoning.

That said, I agree - it's to early to vote. Though Xace is the most likely suspect for now, nothing can be said for sure.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Vote Count
(4) XACE-K: Chaco, MenoUnderwater, Teran17, airgemini
(2) Marshy: frozenflame751, XACE-K

(3) not voting: SkylerOcon, TUSM, Marshy

With 9 alive, it takes a vote of 5 to lynch.
The deadline has been set for July 6, Noon EST!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Hmm. Look at the votes here. Two for Marshy and 4 for XACE K. Essentially it could be said that Marshy is trying to protect another mafia member, XACE K.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Vote: Marshy

His last post made me feel a little uneasy, like he's attempting to protect him.
I can see what you're saying. It does seem like Marshy is trying to protect Xace. Just because he's already at four votes...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Vote Count
(5) XACE-K: Chaco, MenoUnderwater, Teran17, airgemini, SkylerOcon
(3) Marshy: frozenflame751, XACE-K, TUSM

(1) not voting: Marshy

The New Bee city council rushed to make their first decision. Though they had two weeks to make their decision, they decided in two days that XACE-K was one of their unwelcome guests and they eliminated him with very little discussion. Wrapping a noose around his neck, they tied him to the ceiling and let him fall.

"Yep...I'm lynched. Goodbye all," were his last words.

His neck gave way with a loud snap, and his body hanged lifeless. Untying him and dragging him on the ground by the noose, the city council proudly brought him outside and displayed him to the people of New Bee.

"Look, everyone! We lynched our first mafia!"

The town gasped in great horror at the dead body of their friend. As the group turned and looked at what they had done, they realized that they had made a terrible mistake...

While the group of eight dropped their heads in shame, the two mafia among them snickered. This was going to be easier than they thought.

XACE-K, a townie, has been lynched!

Day 1 has ended! Night 1 begins!
All night actions are due June 26th, Noon EST. (1.5 days)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
The group assembled in the New Bee city council chambers for their second Day session of their hunt for the unwelcome guests... the mafia who they had failed to apprehend yesterday. Gathering their papers and sitting down in their seats, they resolved that they would do a better job. The room filled with all of the familiar faces, except for one - someone was missing.

Rumors started to spread, something must have happened to him, the mafia must have gotten to him. There was a knock, and a suspicious package was left at the foot of the door.

"Open it," pleaded some of the town. "Whatever happened, we need to know."

Assured by his fellow townspeople, one man opened the box and lost his color. He gasped for air, dropping the box, staggering backward and pointing at what he had seen. As the package hit the ground, a bloodied white coat and broken stethoscope tumbled out and emptied onto the floor.

"We're in big trouble."

Teran17, the doctor, was killed during the night.

Night 1 has ended! Day 2 begins!
With 7 alive, it takes a vote of 4 to lynch.
The deadline has been set for July 9, Noon EST!

Top Bottom