• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think there's more to it than just fighting, but this is a suitable explanation.

Anyways, how about we talk about literally anything else.

Who do you think will be the first character revealed for Fighters Pass 2, and when do you see them being revealed.

I see Dante being first to set the tone of the pass and get buyers, and he'd be revealed at E3 at the earliest. I could also see Lloyd being revealed alongside him as a concession to the core fanbase.
I wanna see Shanoa cause she's from the best game of all time and I'm gay for her like all the women in her game

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
If Digimon gets in smash it will be the first in that franchise history were a majority of official Digimon art isnt in a small thumbnail quality thanks to spirits

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think there's more to it than just fighting, but this is a suitable explanation.

Who do you think will be the first character revealed for Fighters Pass 2, and when do you see them being revealed.

I see Dante being first to set the tone of the pass and get buyers, and he'd be revealed at E3 at the earliest. I could also see Lloyd being revealed alongside him as a concession to the core fanbase.
Hmm, not that I disagree with Lloyd being a fan pick but he would really appeal that much to the core fanbase? idk, maybe it's me but if I had to guess I would say that he would have a decent amount of negative reactions even if it's only because he's from a JRPG and he has swords. Also because anime bad and all that.

I don't think he would have a much better reception than Hero, honestly. I'd gladly to be proven wrong tho, I enjoyed Symphonia a lot and Lloyd is cool.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hmm, not that I disagree with Lloyd being a fan pick but he would really appeal that much to the core fanbase? idk, maybe it's me but if I had to guess I would say that he would have a decent amount of negative reactions even if it's only because he's from a JRPG and he has swords. Also because anime bad and all that.

I don't think he would have a much better reception than Hero, honestly. I'd gladly to be proven wrong tho, I enjoyed Symphonia a lot and Lloyd is cool.
I mean, Lloyd getting a costume in 4 has to mean something about his Smash popularity

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
How would you react if this was how the fighter's pass turned out?

The common thread is that these are my three most wanted first and third parties.
I liked the first 2 Scribblenauts games, and Mega Man X is one of my favorite characters in video games as a whole. So it's cool. B.Dee could be neat.
Behold, a fighter's pass for degenerates, by degenerates.
Each of these is at least kind of cool. I think Travis is the one I'd be the least interested in, but is hardly a bad choice.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

My heart wants 2B. My brain says Dante. However this is only assuming we are going to have something like a Joker pick for Vol. 2. If you look at pass one, Joker set the tone for the entire pass - Unexpected, varied, brings new mechanics to the game in some form. I expect whoever opens pass 2 will be the same. Sakurai seems to be all about those new worlds, new movesets, and additional content.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Its funny, everyone wants there to be no cuts and were beyond excited for 'Everyone Is Here', but get mad at the inevitable fallout of that happening when a rotating roster series like Fire Emblem gets a new character to represent the newest game in the series. Keeping every character from the previous games meant that this was going to happen eventually, they were never going to just stop adding characters for the biggest series out of their 2nd Tier Series (1st Tier being Mario Franchise (so count in DK, Yoshi, and Wario), Zelda, Pokémon, and Kirby)..especially after the massive success that was Three Houses, even if the characters were already picked before it released.
Chrom shoulda had a unique moveset, Lucina should have been his echo. Roy should have been Marth's echo. Black Knight should have been Ike's echo.
I mean, you're not wrong, but if he had to be an Echo Fighter, he should have been one of Ike so at least we wouldn't have 4 Marths in the game and a faster, weaker Ike does sound somewhat fun.
Byleth is rough because it made PapaGenos angry and Lesley happy :/

I guess there is no perfect scenario.
You shouldn't hope for people to be angry or sad, no matter how toxic they are.
You should strive for others to be happy or for those who are toxic to improve themselves.
Them being angry causes nothing except further toxicity.
If characters play the same in their home series(or are just the same character) they can work as an alt./QUOTE]
I'll never, ever understand why people want characters to be Alternate Costumes instead of Echo Fighters.
Like, they're in the game regardless but having them as their own characters gives us some extra things, like extra Arcade Modes and 4 Extra Costumes each.
Does it really matter that much that they are on the Character Select Screen?
It just literally boggles my mind since it takes little to no extra time to develop them as their own character as opposed to an Echo Fighter, so why literally ask for less?

Kokiden

Smash Ace

Who? No idea. After Byleth, it’s just too unpredictable at this point.

I’d like to see either 2B or Dante as the first reveals. They’ve both been in cross overs lately, and I hope that pattern would extend over to Smash (probably not though.)

When? Hopefully February or March. I don’t like the idea of waiting too long.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

He placed 4th in the largest Smash Bros. fanpoll of all time, behind Banjo, Isaac, and Geno.

If there's a character to appeal to the core fanbase after Geno, it's Lloyd.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I feel like E3 is so far away. Five months before any kind of info? I think the first Direct of the year is when they'll be revealed and the character will be a character to help win back public favor and push the Fighter's Pass instead of just releasing it on the 28th and letting it sit there until E3.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I've got two options in mind.

First is Crash. He's highly popular, relevant, and iconic. Easy publicity to start off Fighter's Pass 2. Likewise, he would be quite expensive to license, so it's likely he'd be one of the bigger names on the roster. Plus, I can't help but acknowledge that the leaker who predicted Byleth in October, no character reveal at the Game Awards, and the Smash Direct being on Thursday also backs Crash for the next fighter. He could just be lucky, but he has such a strong track record that I think it's worthy weighing what he says.

Second is Geno. He honestly feels like the next member of the "Ridley-K. Rool-Banjo gang", being a character that isn't big to the general public but is a massive deal to Smash fans. Starting with Geno would be a good way to spread awareness of the second fighters pass, in a sort of "I can't believe this actually happened" sort of way. Likewise, Geno fits a nice niche of being large enough to launch the pass, but not so large that he would be saved for E3.

I'm gonna be optimistic and say we'll get an announcment during the Spring 2019 direct, followed by a drop at the end of April. This puts a good 4 months between Byleth's release and the next fighter. Not a crazy amount of time, but still enough to give Sakurai and the team a little bit of breathing room to lay the foundations for the second Fighter's Pass.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Its funny, everyone wants there to be no cuts and were beyond excited for 'Everyone Is Here', but get mad at the inevitable fallout of that happening when a rotating roster series like Fire Emblem gets a new character to represent the newest game in the series. Keeping every character from the previous games meant that this was going to happen eventually, they were never going to just stop adding characters for the biggest series out of their 2nd Tier Series (1st Tier being Mario Franchise (so count in DK, Yoshi, and Wario), Zelda, Pokémon, and Kirby)..especially after the massive success that was Three Houses, even if the characters were already picked before it released.
People really have no reason to complain over this.

I don't have any expectations

But I know who I want:
sora.jpg

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I’m curious as to what you guys think is more likely. Travis Touchdown as a playable fighter or as a Mii Swordfighter costume?

I feel like seeing Travis get in in some form is pretty likely, but I’m just not sure if they’d go so far as to make him a playable fighter. I also think his design would work really well as a costume for Mii Swordfighter.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
History Theory:
Sakurai gives a history behind the franchise that each DLC character is from in each presentation. Now that characters from already represented franchises are in, Sakurai still gives history behind those franchises even if people already know. However, it would be redundant to give these historical talks a second time. Therefore, once a franchise gets a DLC character, they won't get another one.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
History Theory:
Sakurai gives a history behind the franchise that each DLC character is from in each presentation. Now that characters from already represented franchises are in, Sakurai still gives history behind those franchises even if people already know. However, it would be redundant to give these historical talks a second time. Therefore, once a franchise gets a DLC character, they won't get another one.
And he's going to ruin the theory

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Good night everyone. Tomorrow will be Monday and pretty much the start of waiting for however long when the first post-Pass DLC fighter occurs through these two years as well as new speculation, discussion and leaks that may spring up.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
History Theory:
****, I was really banking on Sigurd from Genealogy of the Holy War.

I’m curious as to what you guys think is more likely. Travis Touchdown as a playable fighter or as a Mii Swordfighter costume?

I feel like seeing Travis get in in some form is pretty likely, but I’m just not sure if they’d go so far as to make him a playable fighter. I also think his design would work really well as a costume for Mii Swordfighter.
I wanna believe he'd be a fighter, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just was a mii sword fighter.

God, to have Robin Atkin Downes's voice in Smash Bros would be a dream come true...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
****, I was really banking on Sigurd from Genealogy of the Holy War.

I wanna believe he'd be a fighter, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just was a mii sword fighter.

God, to have Robin Atkin Downes's voice in Smash Bros would be a dream come true...
So what you're saying is that he'd be... RAD.

For real though despite being a union actor last I heard, Suda will push getting him as Travis considering the backlash TSA got for not having him in the announcement trailer

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Any time someone says "Travis Mii Swordfighter costume" I realize how Isaac or Lloyd fans feel.

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the possibility and as always Something is better than Nothing but it just stings. :(

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
History Theory:
I'd doubt they'd have repeats of a franchise anyway.

Lol but I can imagine Sakurai "Since y'all didn't like my character, I'm going to educate you more on the history Fire Emblem. Here's Sigurd and a 40 minute overview of Genealogy of the Holy War."

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

50/50 for me. I mean, Travis Touchdown is now a popular enough request..but not as popular as Sans was and he was made a Mii Fighter..but Travis is also from a Japanese Developer, making it more likely.
Fact is, I truly feel he could be a unique fighter even if I don't want him personally, but I also think that he'd fit well enough for a Mii Fighter costume since, well, any character fits as a Mii Fighter costume.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Sam Porter Bridges from the hit video game Death Stranding.

We need our first "strand type" rep in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Keeping every character from the previous games meant that this was going to happen eventually, they were never going to just stop adding characters for the biggest series out of their 2nd Tier Series (1st Tier being Mario Franchise (so count in DK, Yoshi, and Wario), Zelda, Pokémon, and Kirby)..especially after the massive success that was Three Houses, even if the characters were already picked before it released.
FE is bigger than before, but sales aren't why it continues to get characters. Even outside the big three and the many Mario spinoff franchises (Mario Kart, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, etc.) it's still far behind Animal Crossing and Splatoon, two merchandising giants in Japan. And yet, I'd be surprised if either of those franchises make it past three characters by the end of this new decade.

I wouldn't even say FE gets these new characters because of promotional reasons. I'd say FE continues to get characters because it's honestly the easiest franchise to pull newcomers from. You never have to worry about characters feeling "bottom of the barrel" because the barrel has no bottom to begin with. There's a new protagonist every game and you barely have to think when choosing who the newcomer should be, unlike Pokemon.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Something terrible would happen if we got another megaman character, and that terrible thing would literally be the community being split in half. If you think Byleth was bad, I’m willing to bet people will hate Smash and Sakurai if we get another Megaman character. The reason being: they would all play incredibly similarly. Say what you want, you know it’s true. Maybe a character like zero would be okay, but if we got X or Bass then I know people would definitely whine about a ‘wasted’ slot. After Byleth, we all know the community gets real toxic after a character they don’t want. And I feel that another Megaman character would last longer than Byleth or Corrin. Only a few people are still really angry about Corrin, most have just realized they can’t do anything about it. But if we got another Megaman character, I definitely think the majority would be angry even after the next game. That’s just my opinion, however. It’s kind of scary to think about. Also, this isn’t hate on Megaman characters and saying they can’t make it into smash. I’m saying the majority of the community will hate it.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I got a new game for everyone! Let's go!

Who is a potential DLC character that would have a unique mechanic? And what would that be/how would it work?

Mine is Isaac from The Binding of Isaac.

With items on, he can equip up to 3 so he has powerful attacks, and they go away once he is KO'd. With items off, just make his moves stronger to equal out with everyone.

He could have Bunny Hood, Ray Gun, and Tanooki Tail. Downside is that he can't use any moves that require the smash attack button, as they would fire the gun instead.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FE is bigger than before, but sales aren't why it continues to get characters. Even outside the big three and the many Mario spinoff franchises (Mario Kart, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, etc.) it's still far behind Animal Crossing and Splatoon, two merchandising giants in Japan. And yet, I'd be surprised if either of those franchises make it past three characters by the end of this new decade.

I wouldn't even say FE gets these new characters because of promotional reasons. I'd say FE continues to get characters because it's honestly the easiest franchise to pull newcomers from. You never have to worry about characters feeling "bottom of the barrel" because the barrel has no bottom to begin with. There's a new protagonist every game and you barely have to think when choosing who the newcomer should be, unlike Pokemon.
Well, Roy and Corrin are confirmed as promotional reasons. It's not the full reasoning(as it was also cause clone slot available and awesome moveset idea respectively).

Byleth we don't know the reasoning on. TH had perfect timing over other Switch games, as it directly fell within the time where a DLC character could be chosen(3rd parties don't seem to be about recency, though there is an exception with Hero, but that just applies to what face to use for him, not really why he got in in the first place), which a lot of games simply came out too early instead. Or too late could be a case for others. Maybe that's what Astral Chain's issue is, wrong timing. It could also be he didn't see a character in that one that he could find realizable as a fighter. It's also possible it wasn't even on the list Nintendo apparently had.

Not that I don't get what people mean by it sucking that a lot of other Switch games felt like they were left out, but they didn't meet the timing factor, really. Trust me, I'd love someone from ARMS too. Spring Man as is(Ribbon Girl I know has different moves, but I don't know enough if she has any core differences that make her impossible as an alt. I think they have the same proportions. Likewise, she'd make a great Echo for a similar reason. I obviously could be wrong, since again, I have little information on the game).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Who is a potential DLC character that would have a unique mechanic? And what would that be/how would it work?

With items on, he can equip up to 3 so he has powerful attacks, and they go away once he is KO'd. With items off, just make his moves stronger to equal out with everyone.

He could have Bunny Hood, Ray Gun, and Tanooki Tail. Downside is that he can't use any moves that require the smash attack button, as they would fire the gun instead.
Sol Badguy. He does airdashes and LET IT OUUUUUUTTTTT
Something terrible would happen if we got another megaman character, and that terrible thing would literally be the community being split in half. If you think Byleth was bad, I’m willing to bet people will hate Smash and Sakurai if we get another Megaman character. The reason being: they would all play incredibly similarly. Say what you want, you know it’s true. Maybe a character like zero would be okay, but if we got X or Bass then I know people would definitely whine about a ‘wasted’ slot. After Byleth, we all know the community gets real toxic after a character they don’t want. And I feel that another Megaman character would last longer than Byleth or Corrin. Only a few people are still really angry about Corrin, most have just realized they can’t do anything about it. But if we got another Megaman character, I definitely think the majority would be angry even after the next game. That’s just my opinion, however. It’s kind of scary to think about. Also, this isn’t hate on Megaman characters and saying they can’t make it into smash. I’m saying the majority of the community will hate it.
Lmao chances are if you like 1 Capcom thing you like other Capcom things so this is a complete nonissue at all

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
History Theory:
This actually makes sense and I'm down for supporting this.

On that note I could watch Sakurai doing gaming history lessons all day

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well, Roy and Corrin are confirmed as promotional reasons. It's not the full reasoning(as it was also cause clone slot available and awesome moveset idea respectively).
"Random trivia" Sakurai wanted Leif from Thracia 766 first, but Intelligent System convinced him to use Roy.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I will credit Byleth with this:
He will forever be tied to the day I started learning to count in binary.
It's actually pretty handy. I can count to 64 pretty naturally now. But it's gonna be hell to practice counting to 1023.

Edit: Funny enough, being Fighter 5, 5 is the middle finger and thumb in binary.
I feel like this is a bit too much of a coincidence to not be Sakurai giving us the finger.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't know about this. Characters like Zero and Dr. Wily are so different from Mega Man in both aesthetics and abilities that they wouldn't look or play anything like each other. Even Bass, a character that you had personal concerns with, is different from Mega Man both in the way he controls (having a weaker, rapid-fire buster, being much more mobile, and using weapons from the latter half of the series) and the way he looks.

The only character I could see this being an issue for is X, who is probably the most likely Mega Man character to join the battle, but that's only because Mega Man and X look somewhat similar. In terms of abilities, X would be a much more agile take on Mega Man's playstyle while keeping his projectile-heavy gimmick. Likewise, X would likely have some sort of armour mechanic to match his original game. Even then, their designs are distinct enough that you wouldn't really confuse the two. Capcom places Rock and X beside each other in marketing materials all the time, so they clearly have enough faith in their audiences to understand that these are two separate characters.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

Phoenix Wright
He could have a bar above his name similar to the one in the top right during the trials in the game. Whenever he gets hit with a smash attack, it goes down. The more the smash attack is charged, the more damage it does. If it goes down to zero, Phoenix automatically dies. If it’s his final stock, then the closing court doors animation plays and it leads to the other player’s victory screen.

Galarian Pokemon Trainer
A bar which builds up as the user takes damage. Once it hits max, the Pokémon becomes dynamax. Obviously not too huge, maybe only 1.75 times as large as mega mushroom. Their special attacks would become super powerful during this time.

Frisk
Not my original concept, but I did change it a bit to make it simpler, anyways, credit to Brawlfan1 on his video. Basically, there is a bar with a yellow line in the middle. The bar is a gradient of blue and red, one side being each color. Basically, Frisk’s special attacks don’t actually do any damage, but do move the yellow line closer to blue. Almost every other attack does do damage, and moves the line closer to the red end. If it reaches the red end, then the opponent gets a significant attack boost. If it reaches the blue end, then Frisk gets super armor for about 30 seconds.

anyway, that’s all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Might as well participate and throw in some shameless promotion for my favorites.

Pauline - Has a special where she sings a single verse from Jump Up, Super Star. If she can sing three seprate verses without being interrupted, she gets a power boost.
Paper Mario - Has a special where he can switch out partners. Each partner has a unique special attack that rotates out along with them.
Mipha - Has a chargeable special that heals her when full.
Zacian - Offense rises the more your attacks land. Combo chains that don't miss deal more damage than single attacks.
Zamazenta - Defense rises the more opponent's attacks hit your shield. Use this to survive normally lethal blows.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
...I don't think a second Megaman character would nececarrily be simmilar in playstyle. Take X, for instance. The Megaman X games are much more focused on mobility than the classic series, so X would likely be a rushdown character of sorts. In addition, I think the news that third party series can get multiple unique characters would be huge for the fanbase (in a good way). Characters like Eggman, Chun Li, and Alucard would likely become top tier requests overnight.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I don't know about this. Characters like Zero and Dr. Wily are so different from Mega Man in both aesthetics and abilities that they wouldn't look or play anything like each other. Even Bass, a character that you had personal concerns with, is different from Mega Man both in the way he controls (having a weaker, rapid-fire buster, being much more mobile, and using weapons from the latter half of the series) and the way he looks.

The only character I could see this being an issue for is X, who is probably the most likely Mega Man character to join the battle, but that's only because Mega Man and X look somewhat similar. In terms of abilities, X would be a much more agile take on Mega Man's playstyle while keeping his projectile-heavy gimmick. Likewise, X would likely have some sort of armour mechanic to match his original game. Even then, their designs are distinct enough that you wouldn't really confuse the two. Capcom places Rock and X beside each other in marketing materials all the time, so they clearly have enough faith in their audiences to understand that these are two separate characters.
I agree 100% Dr. Wily and Zero would be very different. And Bass and X would both have significant differences in play style from Megaman. But the thing is, they would still have the same basic setup of gunner and would still have similar attacks. And even though I would be fine with it, I know many people wouldn’t. That’s where my concerns lie. I know people got angry over Byleth for different reasons, but one of the reasons was because it was another anime swordsman, even though Byleth is very different from the rest of the FE characters. They don’t care how different they really are. The community will go “why are you adding so many gunner people who play eXaCtLy the same?”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom