• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Ok so new idea, the last character you played as in any game is coming to Smash, doesn't matter if it's a licensed game or anything either, who's the lucky character? In my case, Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man from DMC3
Well, well, well....

Love_Live!_School_Idol_Festival_ALL_STARS_Eng_Title_Screen.png

Now wouldn't this be hilarious.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is a literal Gradius archetype in the game.

View attachment 272701

It is total ass IRL but it keeps getting new support every year that references Gradius games. This one came out last year.
I know. That's part of why I said it.

Though I do wish they had a Frogger-based archtype/reference. There's a lot of Frog monsters, but nothing remotely close.

There's also the Boss Core archtype(I forget the official term for it), and some loose stuff from Gradius like Moai Interceptor Cannon. Or Solar Flare Dragon.

Frankly, I'd love to see these awesome things referenced, and considering Yugioh references most of Konami's franchises, that'd be a great way to show off a few loose Spirits~

I need to dig up my old Yugi moveset, thinking about it. If it's still on SB. It was basically a "summon monsters to attack by his side" for a lot of moves. I.E. Giant Soldier of Stone thrusting upwards for one of his Ground Upwards attacks.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That still seems illogical.
It seems more like no one wants to discuss it because of the implications.
We will talk in circles on nonsense- yet Sakurai himself says something so vital relating to which characters are in this pass,
and it is nearly sidestepped.

Oh well. Seems like a Nintendo centric pass is inevitable.
And that we may indeed get that third pass for some more pushed back characters.
It's much easier to simply delay content than to outright nuke months of business preparation and even development. You're the one being illogical here with how much your attempting to hand-wave the complexity of the process of deciding an entire season of content months in advance. You can technically drop out of agreements or push back that work, but it's considered poor form and you don't want to burn a bridge with a third party by shifting them out of the already agreed upon contract. There's no reason to talk about it because there's very little to imply we should take it as meaning all that much, made especially clear by the fact that the immediate next information from Sakurai was stating how well the transition had actually played out for the DLC development. At worst, you're looking at a month or two delay for products with no certain release date to begin with outside of "all of them by the end of 2021." That release window has always been extremely generous to Nintendo and gives them even greater breathing room to develop as necessary.

It's just fatalistic to think Smash has been disrupted in such a major way that they have to scrap a fighter, and there's zero evidence right now to imply that reality with how Sakurai has also already directly spoken on this issue.

Never said Byleth was unanimously hated, just that a notable chunk of the fanbase seems to have either a neutral or negative opinion of him. I think that should be taken into consideration when choosing characters.

I could easily argue the opposite and say, "Well, Ridley isn't unanimously liked. We wouldn't want to upset anyone." Likewise, it's just as weird to say, "Well, I'm sure Bubsy isn't unanimously hated. We should add him so his fans will be happy." You should be able to get a general idea how most characters will be recieved. I'm assuming that's ultimately what led to K. Rool and Banjo getting in Smash.

So again, if there's a character who Sakurai himself has to downplay in order to decrease an almost inevitable negative reaction, does that sound like a wise character choice for Smash? The response to Byleth shouldn't have come as a surprise to them, especially after Corrin. Wouldn't it make more sense to just go with someone who they feel would be a little less controversial than to focus on the smaller crowd and go, "Nah, I'm sure there's a few people who want Byleth. Those who don't will get over it."
Because Nintendo is a corporation attempting to advance its goals first and foremost, and also recognize that they're appealing to different fan bases at different times? Yeah, I'd say the overall reception to Byleth was mixed to over-reactive and performative disappointment at its worst, but there are still people who like Byleth and enjoy the character just as there is for Hero and just as there is for Piranha Plant and etc. You're not going to please everybody or even the majority with every single character and its OK for every character to not be for everyone.

Byleth is enjoyed by some people and advances Nintendo's goals. It's not anymore complicated than that. Nintendo is a multinational corporation and they have their interests at heart first and foremost, not yours, not mine, and not any individual fan's perception of Smash. They aren't blind to the wants and desires of fans, and they recognize the value of expanding the crossover in different ways or treating fans to individual picks, but they're not going to exclusively do that. Plus, Smash fans have consistently shown time and time again that they are ****ing awful at putting their money where their mouth is, so Nintendo has zero motivation to care about one character getting less than stellar reception in a vocal community.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok so new idea, the last character you played as in any game is coming to Smash, doesn't matter if it's a licensed game or anything either, who's the lucky character? In my case, Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man from DMC3
Last game I played as Elder Scrolls Online, so, I'm completely okay with that. Yeah, he's not the Dragonborn, but my character is a Dragonknight and can still breathe fire, so the only thing I'm really losing is FUS RO DAH.

Orcs FTW! And now nobody can complain about another swordsman - he wields an axe and a shield.

Speaking of, what poses would you want for your character's render? If by some miracle Dovahkiin did get in, this pose is pretty well what I'd want his render (and his amiibo) to look like. Either that or something like Eivor's pose in the AC:Valhalla statue.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know. That's part of why I said it.

Though I do wish they had a Frogger-based archtype/reference. There's a lot of Frog monsters, but nothing remotely close.

There's also the Boss Core archtype(I forget the official term for it), and some loose stuff from Gradius like Moai Interceptor Cannon. Or Solar Flare Dragon.

Frankly, I'd love to see these awesome things referenced, and considering Yugioh references most of Konami's franchises, that'd be a great way to show off a few loose Spirits~
Gradius and B.E.S. Core archetypes had so much potential, but man are the cards so ass. I want to use them so bad but I'm too busy getting powercrept up the ass by new meta, like dude I wanna have fun with my 2006 Big Cores that can barely live lol.

Speaking of Gradius, I actually want him (her? it? is there a pilot?) as a fighter. Like, the ship. I just think it would be funny.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Taunting needs to be renamed to Posing and put back into multiplayer.
Literally for what reason did they have to take out taunting on Quickplay? Limiting it to three in Smash 4 was fine I guess, but this? This is torture, how can I kill with Snake's box now?! :drflip:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Literally for what reason did they have to take out taunting on Quickplay? Limiting it to three in Smash 4 was fine I guess, but this? This is torture, how can I kill with Snake's box now?! :drflip:
Broke: Killing with Snake’s box
Woke: killing with Luigi’s down taunt

not that it matters now... :c

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Gradius and B.E.S. Core archetypes had so much potential, but man are the cards so ass. I want to use them so bad but I'm too busy getting powercrept up the ass by new meta, like dude I wanna have fun with my 2006 Big Cores that can barely live lol.

Speaking of Gradius, I actually want him (her? it? is there a pilot?) as a fighter. Like, the ship. I just think it would be funny.
Gradius, more specifically known as Vic Viper, I think... doesn't have a pilot? I never looked into it. I know a fighting game had only the ship, being Fighter's MegaMix.

But yeah, Gradius/Vic Viper could be cool. It'd be the first super unique fighter with no semblance of a limb at all. Okay, Master Hand technically counts, but he's not 100% playable at this time.

What they could do is using the tons of items/etc. to make stuff work. Like one of the enemies/otpions/etc. holding an item. You could make it that mechanically unique that it can't hold an item instead, and maybe make it so its partner(Gradius' Option, maybe?) could have its own more humanoid form to justify it. Though I don't think there's anything close to that within the series. I only remember the cards at best since I never played the games.

Edit: Yeah, they have pilots. A few of them. Yay for a TVTropes page. James Burton is one of the first pilots.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Last game I played was Animal Crossing New Horizons... Villager's already in the game so... I don't suppose I could nominate Tom Nook instead?

If not, then I'd fall back to the previous game, which was Panel de Pon. I picked Lip, so Lip would be the lucky character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's a piloted ship in the Gradius games, but a sentient spaceship in the Parodius games.
I forgot about the Parodius games.

That said, there's no feasible way for Vic Viper to even have a way to grab items, but having its pilot do so as a unique mechanic(like a reverse Luma in who holds the items) could work.

I did look more into it thanks to a different website, though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's a piloted ship in the Gradius games, but a sentient spaceship in the Parodius games.
Huh, it had another pilot called Aoba Anoa. Wonder what she looks like.

kindpng_166624.png

Why is this real? Why does Gradius have a gun ship waifu? She's showing off so much that KOS-MOS is jealous.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just played this game called Helltaker, so Demon Harem Guy 4 Smash

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Stuff like Gradius kind of makes me wish we could get DLC stages from franchises even if they weren't tied to a character. Even if a fighter from the aforementioned IP might be tricky to do, there's loads of interesting stuff they could do in terms of levels inspired by it. Same with various puzzle games; something like a Tetris or Bubble Bobble stage would be awesome.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I have never met a human on planet earth who has ever said that. I've seen people not care about it, but straight up dislike? The hell happened? Did Resetti scar you for life? Was the impending anxiety of taxes too real? :nifty: I gotta know the lore behind this.
Pretty much what you think. I just never cared for it at all and the style of the game never appealed to me.

Though you can say anxiety of taxes is real considering I'm a college graduate struggling to make any kind of living.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I forgot about the Parodius games.

That said, there's no feasible way for Vic Viper to even have a way to grab items, but having its pilot do so as a unique mechanic(like a reverse Luma in who holds the items) could work.

I did look more into it thanks to a different website, though.
They could technically alternatively use a bipedal interpretation of Vic Viper, such as the Zone of the Enders version or the Super Bomberman R version or the Super Bomberman R version of the Zone of the Enders version if you want to have both at once, although it‘s pretty unlikely that they’d specifically go for spin-off versions of a character like that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They could technically alternatively use a bipedal interpretation of Vic Viper, such as the Zone of the Enders version or the Super Bomberman R version or the Super Bomberman R version of the Zone of the Enders version if you want to have both at once, although it‘s pretty unlikely that they’d specifically go for spin-off versions of a character like that.
That'd work well for Gradius' Option, but it's be a bit strange to have regular Vic Viper as anything but a spaceship as normal.

Well, regardless, I'd just love some spirits~

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That would unironically be amazing.
It already has a million remixes as is, don't know if a Smashified one already exists as is.

My favorite is probably when they mashed it up with Lucid Dreams.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
But who did you play as? Which of the idols is the lucky girl?
All leaders in a Hero situation of course.

Honoka as default outfit, Chika as second, Ayumu as third and the new girl Kanon as the fourth.

Their Final Smash is a big concert that has them sing with the rest of their group members.

Alternatively though, there's the player character Yuu Takasaki.

Yuu.jpg

She's not an idol herself, more akin to their manager, but she would attack by having the multiple girls be summoned for various actions, as if Smash was an audition for something.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Gradius, more specifically known as Vic Viper, I think... doesn't have a pilot? I never looked into it. I know a fighting game had only the ship, being Fighter's MegaMix.

But yeah, Gradius/Vic Viper could be cool. It'd be the first super unique fighter with no semblance of a limb at all. Okay, Master Hand technically counts, but he's not 100% playable at this time.

What they could do is using the tons of items/etc. to make stuff work. Like one of the enemies/otpions/etc. holding an item. You could make it that mechanically unique that it can't hold an item instead, and maybe make it so its partner(Gradius' Option, maybe?) could have its own more humanoid form to justify it. Though I don't think there's anything close to that within the series. I only remember the cards at best since I never played the games.

Edit: Yeah, they have pilots. A few of them. Yay for a TVTropes page. James Burton is one of the first pilots.
Damn I legit always thought that Vic Viper was the name of the pilot and that Vic was short for Victor. The more you know I guess.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
He said it himself, as Gwen said. I think this essentially confirms that Season 2 has at LEAST 1 3rd party, though it could also be a meeting with Game Freak or *gasp*, Intelligent Systems.
He said a publisher, iirc Game Freak and Intelligent Systems are just developers.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Technically, they're already in the game. It's just now you'd be able to see them on other stages. And maybe raise the age rating a little.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

The last game I've played is Yakuza 3, so it's Kiryu, which I'm completely okay with.

**** Kratos screw Nathan Drake we getting Sam Porter Bridges throwing blood and piss grenades at Kirby.
Getting Sam in Smash would be hilarious and somewhat great if you ask me.

Doesn't necessarily have to be for another FE rep though.
Are you sure? By how people always entertains and dreads at the same time the idea of getting another Fire Emblem character, making the same old jokes about it, I'd have thought that the only feasible option from IS would be a FE character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Damn I legit always thought that Vic Viper was the name of the pilot and that Vic was short for Victor. The more you know I guess.
Yeah. I saw some of the information on TVTropes, but there's other places which could have even more information.

To be honest, I never knew it had a pilot itself, but I did know the ship was titled Vic Viper. Yugioh teaches you some cool things with its trivia.

That said, I had another thought; Vic Viper is a ship that has literal ships flying around it as various options. You could use a gravitational field akin to Mewtwo's psychic abilities to justify how items could work. Even use the same animations for the items if you wanted. I forget if the Pokemon still does that in Ultimate and 4, but I remember it from Melee.

It's less interesting than having a pilot out there carrying items.

-------------

On a correction, I was wrong about Vic Viper being in Fighter's MegaMix. That was Moai.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The last game I played is UnderRail, my custom character is a crackhead wizard who searches through random dumpsters to survive, lives in caves populated by high iq beetles that can use magic, and is an expert in the art of shotguns.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
It seems more like no one wants to discuss it because of the implications.
You missed tens of pages where people were trying to guess if that meant Japanese companies, or international ones, were being ignored for characters. And people were even trying to justify why Japanese companies were easier to reach even during isolation. It was quite lengthy. And it fueled a ton of discussions about how they might have changed the order of release of some characters, further supported by the announcement of an ARMS rep instead of a third party one. I'd dare say: it's really surprising you didn't see that back then.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
The last game I played was Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.
I would honestly be hyped for Monster Hunter to be in. They could have a weapon switching mechanic that goes between maybe greatsword, longsword, and hammer and have the other weapons as other normal attacks. That or they could go the Byleth route and have every weapon tied to a different attack. Not to mention other stuff like barrel bombs and traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom