• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If it happens at all, let alone in July, it'll probably be after Origami King's release.

And you know...I'm kind of against revealing all the characters in advance, but I do kinda wish Nintendo would at least reveal their release windows.
I remember hearin' a rumor that Nintendo had somethin' else to announce before Origami King's release. Don't recall WHAT exactly the rumor said they had to announce, but it was somethin'.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it happens at all, let alone in July, it'll probably be after Origami King's release.

And you know...I'm kind of against revealing all the characters in advance, but I do kinda wish Nintendo would at least reveal their release windows.
On the other hand it would give Origami King a chance to actually be in a Direct.

SKX31

Smash Master
i just want to see what's cooking at EVO

It would be a good place for a reveal but Nintendo sucks at internet and online so *shrug*
Kinda think there's a honest - if small - chance of an EVO Online reveal, if only because Nintendo's been more active there starting last year, and EVO Online promised "Special exhibitions and content for EVO 2020's original lineup".

Very likely to be just special exhibitions, but it's not out of the question.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'll pay attention to this July direct thing, mostly because I heard something similar, but mostly on the "Nintendo might do something in July" whenever it's a twitter Direct, trailer shadowdrop or whatever. But I'm still not convinced we will get a Smash reveal, it would be amazing, but I think if we get anything, it will be mostly a focus on the winter 2020 game, and early 2021 with maybe a surprise.

People forget that when it comes to first party Switch release, once July pass, we basically have nothing, which would be a first for Nintendo since the switch release, where we always had something to look out for in the following months.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It is worth noting that if a Direct happened this month without any sort of fighter reveal, it would be the first general presentation without any Smash news since March 2018.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If we get any news this month, I would suuuuuuper duper keep expectations for Smash at like, a 0. I wouldn't be totally surprised if they really do drop Paper Mario on us and then hibernate for a short while, given their recent behavior.

However, I do think an announcement of some kind this month might be possible, assuming if it's regarding the Mario remasters, as odds are that's what they're banking on for the big holiday title.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Terry was revealed like 30 minutes before Banjo's presentation though.
Well it was in the Nintendo Direct, not Banjo's presentation. Not much of a time passed between the two things, but it isn't incorrect to say that until now characters presentations are only about said character. So I'm not expecting FP7's presentations, whenever it happens, to reveal FP8.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It is worth noting that if a Direct happened this month without any sort of fighter reveal, it would be the first general presentation without any Smash news since March 2018.
Dear god...We've been at this **** for 2 years, and there still one and half left to AT LEAST finish Fighter pass 2.

When will the ride end?

Faso115

Smash Lord
Dear god...We've been at this **** for 2 years, and there still one and half left to AT LEAST finish Fighter pass 2.

When will the ride end?
And we have a year to go.

Imagine if then Sakurai is packing things up only for Nintendo to go "Sike, go makes us DLC pack 3"

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

When will the ride end?
This will be the longest speculation cycle yet once it's done. I wonder if we'll get an actual good fake leak in the upcoming year and a half. Feels like nothing substantial came up ever since the Grinch leak, maybe Cacomallow but that one was discarded pretty quickly after Terry's presentation by everyone besides some very few people. I just want this community to lose it's **** again man.

D

Deleted member

I don't expect an direct until September tbh.

Then again the next fighter could be another Sakurai represents.
We;ll probably have a Nintendo Direct to help advertise upcoming games for the holidays and we may get an announcement at that point. They've been doing little mini directs on Youtube, but I'm sure there will be one for larger titles, probably in late September, for October, November, and December titles.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I think we can narrow things down a little. This is all guesswork but let's see where it gets us.

Given there's less of a budget, I think that Nintendo characters will use existing models as bases, be it models already in smash (Chrom from Robin's Final Smash), recent games (Min Min uses her Model from ARMS with a new texture) or modification of existing characters (Daisy is clearly based off Peach's model.)

With those stipulations, what characters could we expect?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't expect an direct until September tbh.

Then again the next fighter could be another Sakurai represents.
Ehhh I don't think they'll wait that long. Assuming they really do just drop Paper Mario and then peace out for the rest of the month, I can only imagine that would mean they're trying to get a presentation of some form ready for August, as they gotta get word of the holiday game out eventually.

...Unless the plan was always to drop Paper Mario and then dip from the year completely, but I'd like to believe they wouldn't make that kind of Wii U era level slip up again, lol. It's not impossible, though: Goodness gracious everyone knows they rarely actually learn from their mistakes.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Maybe I'm alone on this, and maybe this sounds a bit ungrateful, but I have a couple hopes of what also does and doesn't come with characters. For example, I don't want a Geno Mii to come with any of my most wanteds (Bandana Dee, Reimu, etc.) because they're either too niche or already somewhat divisive, and a bombshell like that could seriously tarnish their image, and that wouldn't be good at all. They'll already have to deal with the "Nobody asked for this!!1/Literally who?/lol hat goomba" jabs; Crushing people's hopes would just be an added kick in the teeth.

If we get a Geno Costume, it'll have to come with someone who can take it for the team, so to speak. Someone like Doomguy, Dante, or Crash, who would soften the blow a little with some fandom overlap. Instead of going "We were ROBBED!", we'd just get memes about how one sacrificed themselves for the other.

On that note, if we get Reimu I'm half-hoping it will be a Hero/Banjo situation, where we get a Western indie fan-favorite like Shantae or the Knight/Hornet (Or Steve?, if he still counts), so people don't feel too jilted about an "Anime nobody shill pick."

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well I think we can narrow things down a little. This is all guesswork but let's see where it gets us.

Given there's less of a budget, I think that Nintendo characters will use existing models as bases, be it models already in smash (Chrom from Robin's Final Smash), recent games (Min Min uses her Model from ARMS with a new texture) or modification of existing characters (Daisy is clearly based off Peach's model.)

- Mecha-Fiora (she's currently in Shulk's Final Smash)
- Octoling (taken directly from Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion)
- Elma (modified Xenoblade 2 model)
- Black Shadow (modified Captain Falcon model) maybe not but still...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
(modified Captain Falcon model) maybe not but still...
Falcon has the go-to skeleton for muscular characters, but that model's gonna be built from the ground up. Likewise, the Shulk FS models are lower-quality than Chrom (Dunban doesn't have individually modeled fingers for one).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

When will the ride end?
And the the thing is, if they wanted to space it out between reveals, they so very easily could. Assuming two more directs this year (which is a bit of a leap admittedly) and a return to the typical pattern of general presentations next year (Feb/March, E3, September/October), the rest of the Fighters Pass could each get their own reveal for each Direct, all without having to do anything at the game awards or doing two at once.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
First, that is an image only post. You need to add words to it. Secondly...

This is the ride that never ends
Yeah it goes on and on, my friends
And people, started riding it
Not knowing what it was
And now you keep on riding it forever
Just because...(repeat lyrics).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Falcon has the go-to skeleton for muscular characters, but that model's gonna be built from the ground up. Likewise, the Shulk FS models are lower-quality than Chrom (Dunban doesn't have individually modeled fingers for one).
Fiora seemed higher quality than Dunban though

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Fiora seemed higher quality than Dunban though

It helps that that screenshot doesn't make it easy to tell whether or not her hands are fully modeled, unlike

It's a Wii U screenshot but the models are still similar.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've typed up moveset ideas for Geno and Dante, and I'll probably write more since I have the next few days off of work. I'm not sure who else I'd write a moveset for aside from Doomguy, though I've got some ideas for Alexandra Roivas and/or Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness, and I'm sure I could come up with plenty of material for Amaterasu from Okami.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Kinda think there's a honest - if small - chance of an EVO Online reveal, if only because Nintendo's been more active there starting last year, and EVO Online promised "Special exhibitions and content for EVO 2020's original lineup".
"the original EVO lineup" also deliberately removed Ultimate from the roster in light of the event going online-only, and we all know how Smash online functions

Even if they did have Smash news originally, i'd sooner expect they scrubbed those plans when they took the game out of the event

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Anyway, more than extra costumes, I'd honestly love some unique echoes meant to emulate old movesets.
(Okay so I'm way late replying to this, but)
I loved how Melee Bowser played. He was trash competitively, I agree on that front. But still, Ultimate Bowser is missing the old down smash and especially the Koopa Klaw, replacements being overall better moves be damned. I'd love to see Dry Bowser be added with these moves, only Ultimate-ified (meaning they'd be more functional). Maybe with also blue fire that has different properties to Bowser's Flame Breath, and you could replace Bowser Bomb with a bone toss of some sort. Maybe then, Dry Bowser would become the Ryu to Bowser's Ken: Bowser would focus more on rushdown while Dry Bowser would be a zoner. I'd LOVE it if they added Dry Bowser in this way, though sadly it's a pipe dream I could only see happening if they decided to make a bunch of echoes for an easier project.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Base game Mii costumes. They already fit SSBU's art direction, and several of them are fighter/AT/Xenoblade 2* models scaled to Mii proportions, so I think they could do the reverse and scale Mii costumes to non-Mii proportions. Mii wigs would not be used however, as they're designed to look more fake compared to normal fighters' hair.

*the Spring Man/Ribbon Girl costumes are also built from their ARMS models, but we've gotten our ARMS rep

8.0.0 Kirby

Banned via Warnings
I'm back. For some reason, my previous account was banned, and now I can't log into it. So I made a new one. But it's good to be back. I may repost my Mega Man Zero for Smash and my Smash Ultimate Definitive Guide to Kirby posts, but at least it's good to be back.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

When will the ride end?
Never, because Fighter's Pass Volume 3 is comin', baby! We're here until 2023!

SKX31

Smash Master
"the original EVO lineup" also deliberately removed Ultimate from the roster in light of the event going online-only, and we all know how Smash online functions

Even if they did have Smash news originally, i'd sooner expect they scrubbed those plans when they took the game out of the event
I know, albeit that's what makes "EVO 2020's original lineup" a curious choice of words.

Again, not expecting it; I'm fully aware that it's a really small chance primarily because of the really short notice. EVO will probably focus on special exhibitions if Smash is still involved in any capacity. That said, EVO is - hypotheoretically purely for the sake of argument - a decent replacement option for any cancelled E3 reveals because it's just a month or two removed.

(I just hope that EVO dropping Ultimate is a wake up call to both Nintendo and Bamco regarding how they handle online... albeit I can't be optimistic given Brawl and Wii U's online, that's the sad part.)

Not entirely convinced there's less of a budget*, but that's another issue entirely. Still:

* One BOTW 2 / MP4 / Sword and Shield DLC representative. Pick any of these three, their models would translate rather well.
* As far as indies go, Shantae's gotten a new lease of life due to the Seven Sirens port.
* Already repped third parties generally get a boost, due to having modelled background characters.

*(I could still see it, I'd rather wait until FP7 / FP8 until making a conclusion there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom