• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Tbh I still think ATs are the hardest deconfirms, and DLC costumes generally don’t bode well but Spirits are definitely Free Real Estate(TM). So I don’t think we’ll see Rex, Sans, Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Skull Kid, Spring Man Yuri Kozukata why does everyone forget her ;-; as playable.

Elma, Bandana Dee, Octolings, Medusa, Mecha-Fiora (who would in fact be the second instance of Final Smash and Playable Character at the same time too), Black Shadow, Pauline (despite being a Stage Element), Ninten, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, Chorus Kids etc are all fair game though. Maybe a few third parties like Dovahkiin, Doom Slayer, new Bandai Namco character, Phoenix Wright... but not as much third parties as the pass overall.
Eh, Rex's Mii costume is kind of in its own category being Day 1 DLC you can only obtain via purchasing the Fighter Pass. If anything he arguably has a better chance than most other 1st parties since Sakurai has publicly acknowledged him unlike most other "runner ups".

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I'm just hoping that this gets people to try out the games he's from, and I say that less of an SNK shill but more of a traditional fighting game fan. That trailer had so much love put into it by paying homage to the characters that made SNK.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Tbh I still think ATs are the hardest deconfirms, and DLC costumes generally don’t bode well but Spirits are definitely Free Real Estate(TM). So I don’t think we’ll see Rex, Sans, Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Lyn, Skull Kid, Spring Man Yuri Kozukata why does everyone forget her ;-; as playable.

Elma, Bandana Dee, Octolings, Medusa, Mecha-Fiora (who would in fact be the second instance of Final Smash and Playable Character at the same time too), Black Shadow, Pauline (despite being a Stage Element), Ninten, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, Chorus Kids etc are all fair game though. Maybe a few third parties like Dovahkiin, Doom Slayer, new Bandai Namco character, Phoenix Wright... but not as much third parties as the pass overall.
I don't see how spirits are fine but assist trophies aren't. The reason why both Assist Trophies and Spirits meant a character isn't getting in the fighters pass is because their status meant these characters weren't being planned for the first wave of DLC. But now that wave two is currently in production? They could very well be picked as fan service for those who were disappointed they weren't playable characters. Nintendo is aware over the controversy on Waluigi's Assist Trophy reveal. So much so that Reggie said he would tell Sakurai about the demand for Waluigi.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping that this gets people to try out the games he's from, and I say that less of an SNK shill but more of a traditional fighting game fan. That trailer had so much love put into it by paying homage to the characters that made SNK.
Agreed. The trailer was very well thought out (poor Geese.)

Anyways, I predict that the next bunch of DLC after the final challenger is revealed within the fighters pass will probably consist of a mix of 1st and 3rd party characters.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Random thing to note: the character select screen after the fighters pass is done will have 3 blank spots. So take that as you will.

I know these kinds of theories have been thrown around before, but that's just something I noticed.
There is actually a lot more room than that.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/File:SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg

If you look at the File History of the CSS image, you’ll see the notable differences. They added a seventh row, and not only that, but they added two large black columns on either side which the entire CSS can shift to the left and add more characters. To be precise, including Terry and CP5, 12 more fighters can cleanly fit on the CSS.

You also have to consider the Squad Strike CSS which is different. It still works. Look at the differences.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/File:SSBU_Character_Select_Squad_Strike_DLC.jpg

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's a hot take: I honestly don't think extra DLC characters mean a lot of first party characters are likely or near-confirmed.

Any additional DLC characters are probably going to be immensely popular or added to generate hype. Outside of a few exceptions like Waluigi and Rex & Pyra, a lot of first parties don't fit either of those criteria.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel like if the second batch of DLC has Nintendo characters in it were most likely getting Rex. He was only excluded from the first batch and base because those characters were decided long in advance but now I don't think that's an issue.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I feel like if the second batch of DLC has Nintendo characters in it were most likely getting Rex. He was only excluded from the first batch and base because those characters were decided long in advance but now I don't think that's an issue.
As much as I want Rex and Pyra, I am honestly in the camp that believes Spirits are a deconfirmation.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
As much as I want Rex and Pyra, I am honestly in the camp that believes Spirits are a deconfirmation.
Not anymore.
There's nothing official, but the underlying assumption of "Spirits disconfirm (seriously guys it's not deconfirm)" has certainly taken a hit depending on when any additional fighters outside of the Fighters Pass were decided.

The current facts seem to point to Fighters Pass DLC being negotiated for and decided on both alongside and shortly after Ultimate's development. From this, you can assume the team wouldn't include any characters currently in negotiations as Spirits.

If additional fighters were negotiated for and decided on AFTER this point, then it stands to reason that any character who is a Spirit could potentially be a playable fighter (the reasoning that Spirits disconfirm because they are Spirits is circular, and therefore faulty).

I still believe most Spirits will remain Spirits outside of a choice popular few. And by "popular few," I pretty much mean Geno.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, two things:

One, the screen that says that more DLC fighters in development says in the bottom that they "aren't included in the Fighters Pass and must be bought separately". Is this just jargon for "buying this Pass doesn't give you the stuff on the next one" or could it mean the next DLC characters will be sold separately?

Two, there is something curious about their pipeline for DLC:

Some people here ( Opossum Opossum , I believe?) brought up that the talks about Banjo and Kazooie were already under way (or at least started) in April 2018, before the game launched. And a Square character was first brought up around June 2018 (E3). So if DLC characters were all chosen the year prior, that would mean the post-Pass content was (or is in the proccess of) being chosen during this year. I think this is one more point for currently "deconfirmed" characters having another chance.

Not only that, but remember that tweet from Sakurai where he said he and his team were working on Joker, DLC #2 (now known to be Hero), DLC #3 (now known to be BK) and "something else" (Stage Builder) at the same time?

That is, three characters and one new game mode. So now, with the third pack and HRC release, this means their pipeline (assuming it has remained the same) is probably letting them work on Terry, DLC #5... and potentially, the first post-Pass character, right now. Plus, if there really are no more game modes, the characters should flow out a bit faster after the Pass.

That's all for now, I believe, just wanted to point that out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, two things:

One, the screen that says that more DLC fighters in development says in the bottom that they "aren't included in the Fighters Pass and must be bought separately". Is this just jargon for "buying this Pass doesn't give you the stuff on the next one" or could it mean the next DLC characters will be sold separately?

Two, there is something curious about their pipeline for DLC:

Some people here ( Opossum Opossum , I believe?) brought up that the talks about Banjo and Kazooie were already under way (or at least started) in April 2018, before the game launched. And a Square character was first brought up around June 2018 (E3). So if DLC characters were all chosen the year prior, that would mean the post-Pass content was (or is in the proccess of) being chosen during this year. I think this is one more point for currently "deconfirmed" characters having another chance.

Not only that, but remember that tweet from Sakurai where he said he and his team were working on Joker, DLC #2 (now known to be Hero), DLC #3 (now known to be BK) and "something else" (Stage Builder) at the same time?

That is, three characters and one new game mode. So now, with the third pack and HRC release, this means their pipeline (assuming it has remained the same) is probably letting them work on Terry, DLC #5... and potentially, the first post-Pass character, right now. Plus, if there really are no more game modes, the characters should flow out a bit faster after the Pass.

That's all for now, I believe, just wanted to point that out.
Keep in mind they were confident enough in future fighters to film the announcement months ago, before Hero was even out. Who knows when it was decided. And who knows when they were decided. The Fighters Pass was likely settled long before we were informed of such.

But yeah, given there will only be a single Pass character left after November, the workload seems such that they may be able to reveal DLC character 7 by the release of 6.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Keep in mind they were confident enough in future fighters to film the announcement months ago, before Hero was even out. Who knows when it was decided. And who knows when they were decided. The Fighters Pass was likely settled long before we were informed of such.

But yeah, given there will only be a single Pass character left after November, the workload seems such that they may be able to reveal DLC character 7 by the release of 6.
I'm hoping that they drop Fighter #5, then drop some echoes for a few months so they can breath easy for a bit before the next original fighters

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think there might be 3 more DLC characters after Terry and the Fighter Pass #5 character.

There are currently 12 slots per row. The bottom row currently has 7 slots, including the random slot.

1567718177613.jpeg

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I mean, maybe? Though I do kind of doubt it considering that the trailer itself even said 'Smash Ultimate x Fatal Fury', not 'x KOF'.

You might be right tho, we won't know for sure for a little while.
Well, if you want to get super technically, that's still correct since Terry's first appearance was in 'Fatal Fury: King of Fighters'. Naturally they would go with the original series the character was from rather than the one they have more appearances in, such as if Cody or Guy got in, they'd put 'x Final Fight' rather than 'X Street Fighter' even though they are officially Street Fighter characters as well.

It also helps my argument that 'King of Fighters', as a series, was meant to be like the SNK equivolent of Super Smash Bros. before Super Smash Bros. was even a thing, meant to be a Dream Match game crossing over Fatal Fury, The Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, and, oddly, Psycho Soldier, with a handful of new characters to make it a bit more interesting. It also helps that the title of the game and the primary tournament that entire series is named after originated from Fatal Fury, which, as I said above, even had 'King of Fighters' as its original English subtitle.

All I'm saying is that Terry is a King of Fighters character, he was never considered to be a guest character in King of Fighters since the entire game concept itself was based around being a crossover between various SNK series and his game was used as the primary motivator (the tournament).

Although continuity is..really weird..between Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, and King of Fighters..Fatal Fury 1 & 2 are canon in King of Fighters, but the remaining 3 games are not, while Art of Fighting is non-canon to KoF due to SNK not wanting to age up the characters (since Art of Fighting was set in the late 70s).
Most of Terry's appearances now though draw more heavily from King of Fighters than Fatal Fury, however.

Debating on Terry representing the Fatal Fury or King of Fighters series, however, is kinda pointless since whether or not he is a King of Fighters character depends on the criteria used. For me, for example, I see him as representing both since he originated in one and is too important to the other to be considered merely a 'guest'
I think we're going to have another Square rep in the next pass. The thing that hurts me a little bit is... I think Geno and Sora both deserve to be in the game and probably only one will joining the roster (maaaaybe is gonna be a third fighter pass but it's too soon to talk about that). I like both of them, they're not my top picks but I would be happy for sure with the two.
Well, I mean, Sora would be a Disney Rep, not a Square-Enix Rep, so we could actually get both characters in the game.
Actually, the term King of Fighters is actually the name of the tournament in the Fatal Fury series, and were the KoF games got the name.
Yeah, I forgot that for a moment..its been a long, long time since I played Fatal Fury..I've mostly played the King of Fighters games.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think there might be 3 more DLC characters after Terry and the Fighter Pass #5 character.

There are currently 12 slots per row. The bottom row currently has 7 slots, including the random slot.

View attachment 237049
Yeah..but the Character Select Screen has shifted and moved since its first rendition..they could very easily add another row if they wanted to.
It used to look like this..
Its honestly impossible to guess how many more characters we could get after the Fighters Pass..its not like they cared about an even looking CSS before in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U or for this game. The only games that ended with an even number of slots were Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Brawl..and the latter of which wasn't originally meant to as we can see from the unfinished character data.

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I was speaking with some people do Tracer is more the head figure of Overwatch or it is Widowmaker or D.Va ? People in my over talk feed were arguing as to who represent Overwatch ?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
This weirdness is how Smash 4 ended. I don't think Sakurai bases his decisions on geometry.

Ugh. i cant quite put my finger on it, but Sm4sh's renders and visual style for the menus never popped to me. looked really tacky for some reason. ultimate is clean af (thanks to persona 5)

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I was speaking with some people do Tracer is more the head figure of Overwatch or it is Widowmaker or D.Va ? People in my over talk feed were arguing as to who represent Overwatch ?
As much as I love D.Va, Tracer is, without a doubt, seen as the face of Overwatch. Look at any merchandise released and she'll be either the first one or somewhere on it.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Yeah..but the Character Select Screen has shifted and moved since its first rendition..they could very easily add another row if they wanted to.
It used to look like this..
Its honestly impossible to guess how many more characters we could get after the Fighters Pass..its not like they cared about an even looking CSS before in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U or for this game. The only games that ended with an even number of slots were Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Brawl..and the latter of which wasn't originally meant to as we can see from the unfinished character data.
I got so used with that screen I'm a bit lost now that they changed it to fit Banjo Kazooie lol Hopefully it will be back to this when they add more characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ugh. i cant quite put my finger on it, but Sm4sh's renders and visual style for the menus never popped to me. looked really tacky for some reason. ultimate is clean af (thanks to persona 5)
4's CSS is alright. It's not great, partly because it ended like that, and partly because it's still weird about putting those future echoes and the DLC apart from their series, but the design doesn't bother me and at least it's still generally organized by franchise. I really wish Ultimate had that option.

But 4's UI in general is a circus. An unintuitive hodgepodge, and even slightly garish, the Sakurai-style menu at its worst, imo. Though I'm sure Mrs. Sakurai is a very nice lady, I don't like the way she designs menus. Though I didn't mind the background silhouettes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While Overwatch is known for its ensemble cast, Tracer's the one on the box art, and she's the first to get into crossovers like Heroes of the Storm, so she seems to be the face of the game. It's like the Heavy in Team Fortress 2 - there are a lot of characters, but he's the most prominent.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Maybe. Banjo and Kazooie already looked close to done by their reveal, nevermind Hero. And Terry is looking like his development is running really smoothly, especially since the footage could even date back a few weeks ago, depending on the interval between Sakurai's recording and Terry's gameplay recording..

Considering Terry drops in November and that they already announced that there will be more DLC, I think we could get something similar to the treatment Cloud got in 4:
  • Terry gets his gameplay video in November. At the end, we get an announcement for a special Smash Direct, possibly at the beginning of 2020.
  • At that Direct, we get the fifth Pass character's trailer and gameplay, maybe a release date.
  • The Smash Direct ends with the reveal of the first post-Pass character and an explanation of how post-Pass content will work.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
All I'm saying is that Terry is a King of Fighters character, he was never considered to be a guest character in King of Fighters since the entire game concept itself was based around being a crossover between various SNK series and his game was used as the primary motivator (the tournament).
I don't think that makes him an actual KoF character though. KoF is SNKs equivalent to Smash Bros. or MvC. It's their crossover game. And while, for example, I wouldn't consider Ryu to be a "guest" character in MvC, I don't consider him to be a MvC character either.

When a character is a guest in another game, they're usually a temporary, non-canon appearance in that game's world. Crossover games have their OWN worlds and their OWN continuities. Characters aren't guest because what they do IS canon in that world and does have permanent effects. But what happens to characters in those games doesn't effect those characters in their own game worlds.

KoF and Fatal Fury are the same way. Even though KoF shares many of the characters and elements of FF, it is NOT the same continuity. For example, Geese is very much dead in the Fatal Fury series, but he's just alive in KoF. And while all of those character exists in the KoF universe, they don't all exist in each other's universes. Like the Psycho Soldiers and the Ikari Warriors don't exist in Fatal Fury because of KoF.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
N3ON N3ON agree 100p. every render in Sm4sh looks oversaturated and bright af.

Sm4sh:

Ult:
Tbh I think every Smash since Brawl gets perceived as stylistically strange in retrospect. I think Smash 6 will make Ultimate seem really washed out.

They really just mirror Zelda's style though. 64 was basic early 3D like OoT and MM, Melee took a lot of cues from that Gamecube Zelda demo. Brawl was clearly inspired by TP's dark realism, 4 was very bright and colourful like SS, and Ultimate has more washed out, contrasted lighting like BotW.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
As much as I love D.Va, Tracer is, without a doubt, seen as the face of Overwatch. Look at any merchandise released and she'll be either the first one or somewhere on it.
While Overwatch is known for its ensemble cast, Tracer's the one on the box art, and she's the first to get into crossovers like Heroes of the Storm, so she seems to be the face of the game. It's like the Heavy in Team Fortress 2 - there are a lot of characters, but he's the most prominent.
Didn't know Tracer got a crossover with another property, though a quick google tell me Soldier Soldier 76, Reaper and Ana are the main protagonist of the franchise, shouldn't be the protagonist of said franchise to be picked up ? If either an Overwatch character is put in Smash Bros ?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Tbh I still think ATs are the hardest deconfirms, and DLC costumes generally don’t bode well.
I think it depends on the reception to the AT/costume. Like how Sans fans are just glad there's some way to play as him and have Megalovania as stage music without modding the game but Waluigi/Isaac/Rex fans took their AT/Mii costumes in a less positive light.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Hello everyone. I've been following smash speculation quietly since a bit before E3 2018. Sora is by far my most wanted character, and I'm familiar with all the ups and downs speculation has gone through this cycle. Right now it looks like we've got a Second Chance, and I'm not going to let it go to waste. We know Disney of Japan is aware of demand for Sora, and they have stated they would be willing to help make it happen. But what about the rest of the company? Who is the right person closer to the heart of Disney to help make this happen? I think I've found him. Please let him know how much we all want to see Sora in Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Didn't know Tracer got a crossover with another property, though a quick google tell me Soldier Soldier 76, Reaper and Ana are the main protagonist of the franchise, shouldn't be the protagonist of said franchise to be picked up ? If either an Overwatch character is put in Smash Bros ?
Well Tracer is treated as the protagonist of the modern day sections of Overwatch with Winston as the leader of what's left of it and the rest going Endgame Hawkeye. Problem is, Overwatch only piles on more backstory instead of advancing the plot any. Like a flashback that never ends.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
After being spoilt with Ultimate's roster, it's amazing how this CSS feels so incomplete now.
What's crazy is Ultimate might cap out at around thirty characters more than Smash 4, which itself was already at the high end for rosters.

That's more than the entirety of Melee just between games!

And that's why Sakurai is a straight up warlock.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 237049
I went over this a page or so ago, but they could just as easily shift the entire CSS to the left so it's nearly flush to the edge just like before giving each row 13 characters and each column 7. So basically a 13x7 rectangle and a 7x13 rectangle for Squad Strike.

D

Deleted member

So Banjo-Kazooie's weight is 106, which makes them the heaviest character in the Fighter Pass currently. I pretty much brought that up for fun.

Anyways, with confirmation that Mii Costume Theory is dead and that we'll be getting costumes from series not currently in Smash, what would be your ideal Mii Costume Pack for certain characters? The Mii Costumes that came with Joker and BK don't really have any sort of theme around them, but Hero did get costumes only relating to Dragon Quest. I'm not really going to comment on what Mii Costumes might come alongside Terry, though the Heihachi and Akira costumes could probably make a return when he eventually releases.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Hello everyone. I've been following smash speculation quietly since a bit before E3 2018. Sora is by far my most wanted character, and I'm familiar with all the ups and downs speculation has gone through this cycle. Right now it looks like we've got a Second Chance, and I'm not going to let it go to waste. We know Disney of Japan is aware of demand for Sora, and they have stated they would be willing to help make it happen. But what about the rest of the company? Who is the right person closer to the heart of Disney to help make this happen? I think I've found him. Please let him know how much we all want to see Sora in Smash.
I'd advise not to harass people for a video game character for a video game.
I am sure Sakurai is fully aware of Sora's popularity. It's up to him and Nintendo to approach Disney.

As for trying to figure out the amount of fighters left with the CSS- do not do that.
There are four different versions of the CSS in the game for starters - the unstacked one with everyone, the stacked one with everyone, the unstacked one without Miis, and the stacked one without Miis.

They will also try to maximize their additions while they can. How the CSS looks won't determine business.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I personally doubt they're trying to round it out especially round up the number of fights as some originally speculated (80 including Pokemon Trainer counted as one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom