• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know they could have refused but they were a lot more likely to refuse to put Chief in the game than Banjo. He was a character who was associated with them, was requested for 20 years and was not having anything done with him or his series aside from the occasional bit of merch. Chief is the complete opposite of everything I just said. Someone pointed out that Banjo doesn’t open the door for Chief because he is synonymous with Nimtendo so much to an extent that Nintendo did more with the IP when they were associated with rare more than Microsoft despite owning rare for nearly 20 years and a lot longer than Nintendo had them as a second party dev. Banjo was up for the taking. And Nintendo would almost certainly try other means of getting a larger player base than putting a rival mascot in smash. There are better ways of trying to get a bigger audience that will affect only Nintendo instead of putting Chief in smash and advertising a rival console while they are at it. At least cloud wasn’t owned by Sony if that was a point you intended on mentioning.
Phil Spencer has been vocal on adoring Smash so how would he even think of refusing to let them use Chief when he himself has said that nothing can compare to Smash

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The fact that Byleth's best moves come from his lance only strengthens my belief that Dimitri should've gotten in instead.

Koopaul

Smash Champion

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Here’s a fun game. Make a predictions list of characters you DON’T want or would be disappointed by. (Serious inquires only please. i.e. they have to have somewhat of a chance.)

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

I’d feel like I wasted my money on the pass. To the point I’d seriously contemplate calling Nintendo for a refund. (Knowing that absolutely nothing would come of it.)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Here’s a fun game. Make a predictions list of characters you DON’T want or would be disappointed by. (Serious inquires only please. i.e. they have to have somewhat of a chance.)

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

I’d feel like I wasted my money on the pass. To the point I’d seriously contemplate calling Nintendo for a refund. (Knowing that absolutely nothing would come of it.)
The only character that I really don't want is Bandana waddle dee. I think he's just so boring and there's so much better Kirby choice. There's other character that I don't really want, but for most of them I would be kind of happy because they could bring some good music and they have lots of fan (Geno and Crash).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

Just disappointments for me, as I don’t have a lot of ppl I actively don’t want:
1. Doomguy (he was deconfirmed anyway) - just have no attachment to the character
2. Heihachi or Nightmare (would prefer Tales of and/or KOS-MOS)
3. That FP8 ISN’T Octoling - that would be the biggest missed opportunity
4. NO new Xenoblade character whatsoever. With how Rex got shafted in the first pass, I would really like Elma and/or Fiora to make up for it
5. Another FE character. Not because I hate Fire Emblem - quite the opposite in fact. However, 8 is enough and another FE rep, even if say the Lyn Assist is promoted (doubtful) would still cause salt and id hate to relive the post Corrin/post Byleth days
6. ... I don’t know what else really

Faso115

Smash Lord
Geno is like the only one that would actually bother me seeing added.

Otherwise, that least is bound to cause ****storm. Why the negativity anyway? Oh right, smash fans can't leave without negativity, it's in their nature :4pacman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

At this point I've grown indifferent to most but Lycanroc's the one idea that disgusts me, though it's time has passed luckily

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
1. Fire Emblem 17/18 Lord/Avatar
2. Any Sword/Shield Pokemon
3. Sylux
4. Toad
5. Waluigi

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
There are three ladies, not third party, that I'd like to see.

1. Medusa - Both female and villain. I suppose she could work as an echo and just have a unique Final Smash where she tranforms into a floating head with one eye. However, I think her moveset in comparison to Palutena ought to be something like Isabelle/Luigi where there are allusions to their counterparts, but more or less unique.

2. Krystal - I know there are mixed feelings about the character, but if she was included among the Starfox cast, she would play far differently than the others. She was playable in Starfox Adventures for just the beginning portion, but the staff moves that Fox used would be incorporated into a moveset for Krystal. I see her default appearance being based on Adventure and the alt being Assault. Maybe Nintendo would go one step beyond and have more outfits for Krystal and each one having a palette swap: Default, Assault, Command (Wouldn't have a palette because one look would be Team Starfox and the other would be her Team Starwolf outfit ), "Kursed".

3. Captain Syrup - She's my top choice of the three. We could use more Wario platformer content and since Wario is more based on Wario Ware, she would represent the platformer side. I see her moveset being based on some of the enemy types found in those games where she a character. For example, her on screen appearance is arriving via the balloon seen in WL2. She could have a boomerang that works like the one used by Dangerous Duck. Standard Special could be the pirate bomb she uses in WL2's battle in Syrup Castle, the one that creates a flame pillar. Final Smash would be summoning Bobo, the giant bird who then sends feathers flying horizontally. It would work something like Swordfighter's Final Smash.
Broke: Crash's reveal trailer is just a regular ole' reveal trailer like any other.
Woke: Crash's reveal trailer is a recreation of the "Hey, Plumber Boy" commercial.
Wokest've: Crash's reveal trailer combines both the "Hey Plumber Boy" commercial and the Smash 64 commercial together into one.
I wasn’t a particularly a fan of Crash before, but if we get a mascot reveal trailer, I will set that all aside.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's strange. Were those songs in there before or were they added with the DLC?
Nah, that issue has been there since the base game. Just chalk it up as another Treehouse localization flub. :V

D

Deleted member

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

Let me give it a go
I’m probably gonna get some mixed reactions from this
1.steve
2.dark souls
3.quote
4.fortnite
5.Bubsy
6.tracer

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

ahem

1. geno
2. geno
3. geno
4. geno
5. geno
6. geno

thank you for coming to my pep talk /s

real talk, I wouldn't be ragey over geno or anything. i wouldn't mind them too much assuming i already got byleth. they just wouldn't be the ideal pick for me

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The "I don't want this character!" conversation is kinda stupid. The best it will do is a bunch of people naming characters with no real clarification as to why they don't like them, the worst it will do is start fights between supporters and detractors. Besides, a lot of people will change their opinion on a character once they actually get their hands on them (Byleth says hi). It's basically the same reason the unpopular opinions thread goes to ****.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
How likely is it that they're going to release costume packs for the existing characters?

Ultimate seems to be a cash cow at the moment, and will be for a long while yet, so other than DLC fighters, costumes would be another way for them to make money and please fans at the same time.

It just seems like too great an opportunity for them to ignore, especially when fans love alternate costumes and skins for their characters.

Faso115

Smash Lord
If anything i want a spirit event for some of the Mii costumes. Won't hurt anyone really if you release a couple of spirits of say, Virtua Fighter or Goemon.

Personally i want to see Undertale and Cuphead spirit fights

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let me give it a go
I’m probably gonna get some mixed reactions from this
1.steve
2.dark souls
3.quote
4.fortnite
5.Bubsy
6.tracer
Bubsy being in an OH GOD NO list doesn’t surprise me at all, and Tracer is understandable because Blizzard and the Hong Kong controversy. I think the only majorly controversial choice here is Dark Souls

Jonesy from Fortnite is an active I-don’t-want of mine but I don’t think he’ll be happening anyway lul

If anything i want a spirit event for some of the Mii costumes. Won't hurt anyone really if you release a couple of spirits of say, Virtua Fighter or Goemon.

THIS. I doubt they’d add more music with the Mii Costume-associated Spirit Events but just having accompanying Spirits would be fine.

also if Monokuma becomes a premium Mii Costume I’ll even take a Spirit Event BUNDLED with him that you buy. Why? CAUSE I LOVE DANGANRONPA THAT MUCH. Maybe one of the spirits could use said costume

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

Hmm... Well, there’s disappointed:

1) Master Chief (over Doomguy or Battletoads)
2) Bethesda rep (over Doomguy)

There’s, I don’t really mind but does nothing for me upon reveal:

3) Phoenix Wright
4) Paper Mario
5) Pokémon character

And then there’s absolutely DO NOT WANT

6) Fire Emblem character

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

1. 2B - Just looks like another anime sword fighter and doesn't look like she would have an interesting moveset from what fans have been suggesting.

2. Dragonborn - Would mostly just be Hero but made in America, He is also another sword fighter and Considering the other option being Doom Guy who would shoot stuff, have a myriad of awesome weapons to choose from, have kick ass metal music and has the potential to bring in a retro stage to look like the old DOS games, Dragonborn would be the worst character in Volume 2 by far. Also I've seen what people have suggested and I'm not convinced that he wouldn't play just like Hero. The only way I would accept Dragonborn is if he was a Mii costume.

3. Reimu - It's just cutesy lucky star-esque anime girl shooting magic and i'm not a fan of that. Something like that should just be banned like Goku and Hatsune Miku.

4. Monokuma - The only visual novel character I could see being in Smash Bros would be Phoenix Wright and that's only because of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Also I just don't like the look of the character and I don't see him being much fun to play as. Also I have yet to see anyone make a moveset for him so how the hell is anyone supposed to know what fans want from him?

5. Another Fire Emblem lord class protagonist that uses a sword - I'm tired of Fire Emblem and the series should have stayed dormant.

6. Monster Hunter/Chosen Undead - Monster Hunter is the only Capcom rep I'd dislike and Chosen Undead is literally Dragonborn but undead. These two should definitely be Mii costumes. Byleth already does pretty much anything the Monster Hunter could do and Chosen Undead would just be another sword fighter with nothing that would make him unique.

I would have added Steve but there is a slim chance that if he's done right, I could appreciate him. if they found someway to make digging and building work within his moveset then he could be decent.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, while I have some characters I personally don't want in Smash like Geno, Doom Guy, and Steve, if they got in I won't be a bit angry when there's 80+ characters in the same game so I won't be complaining too much.

I have personal wants like Reimu, Dante, Kiryu, Sol badguy, and a few others but I know most of those would cause an uproar if they got in by certain people. No character can truly appeal to everyone and Byleth is an example of that, even if I adore them a lot.

I ain't one of those people who will drop the game or drop Nintendo entirely because of one character they don't like getting in.... Sadly I've seen both happen due to Hero, Terry, and Byleth on Twitter.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Part of me hopes that some series would get multiple spirit events, seeing as there's only four new spirits in each of these spirit events. You might be able to get a good amount of Cuphead representation with four spirits (Cuphead, Mugman, The Devil, King Dice/Cagney Carnation/another boss), but that might be tricky with Undertale unless you double up. (ex. Sans and Papyrus, Asgore and Toriel, or Alphys and Undyne)

Even then, it seems like it would be tough to cram Undertale into four spirits, and I can't recall if DLC characters (or, in this case, costumes) have been used for spirit battles outside of the spirit board that came with them. (so, for example, could Piranha Plant be used to represent Flowey, or would they have to use Ivysaur instead?)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
if Sora got in, I wouldn’t understand a damn thing about him

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

1. Steve - I don't like Minecraft and still don't see the appeal of it about 10 years on.
2. Geno - Again I just don't understand the appeal of him from his gaming background. From an artistic point of view, I like him and he's got that type of design that I would love to see in clay animation.
3. Freddy Fazbear - I don't understand the appeal of FNAF and I find animatronics pretty creepy. A big no.
4. Waluigi - I would like to have Captain Toad first then him. I see the appeal of him but I would like see the former first before.

Actually those are the only characters who I would be somewhat annoyed by. I'm easy to impress so I can't think of 6.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

Crash
Master Chief
Doomguy
Steve
Lloyd
Geno

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Completely agree. Like, EVERYTHING in Smash has spirits, except DLC Miis...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

1. Sora
2. Steve
3. Shantae
4. KOS-MOS
5. Rex & Pyra
6. Pokémon Gen 8 Starter

Even if this was the entire Pass I still wouldn't regret buying it though, at this point I just want all the content the game has to offer, so I'd at least still give them a chance to win me over. I don't think they could release a character that'd make me genuinely mad, maybe I'd be briefly disappointed in the moment, but the roster is way too good for me to continue holding a grudge against one character. For the most part I'd only be disappointed with these characters because I don't like their designs/home series too, so it's not like the extent to which I dislike them reaches very far.

Also, just to elaborate, I'm not entirely opposed to a Gen 8 Pokémon (despite never buying the games due to how lackluster they look), I just think it'd be a waste for Smash to continue to limit itself to the starters when every generation introduces so many Pokémon that could make for good candidates. If we gotta have a new Pokémon, give me something more creative, like Toxtricity or something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom